• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Possible "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" Logos and Gameplay/Locations Leaked

Goldrusher

gfFoPs2.png
This one gets my vote.

Harlequin

I really hope they improve the gameplay (especially the shooting), the last one was bad.

Shooting is the last thing they should be focusing on with any Tomb Raider game TBH. But of course, for the last two games it seems to have been the first.

Hopefully its less trash than the last one.
Easily one of the dullest safest games ive played

Agreed. Locations were completely uninspired (the best aspects of the game were the introduction to the gameplay in Syria), the hub world quickly became dull and monotonous. The story was absolute trash.

Lime

I hope the change to Eidos Montreal means a less dumb narrative and no Camilla Ludington and removing the god awful voice direction.

Rise and Shadow are such stupid titles.

The thing that makes the titles so goofy to me is the random "the" they put in there. I don't know why really, but I giggle when I read Rise of The Tomb Raider. Love the games, though. I hope they don't do a timed exclusive again and have to wait a long time for it to come to PS4.

Cool I'm totally down for this, I'm really loving this reboot series so far

Hopefully it's coming out soonish & isn't a timed exclusive. Or at least if it is timed make it a month or something not a whole bloody year

A Central America/Mayan-type setting could be fantastic

MCD250

The thing that makes the titles so goofy to me is the random "the" they put in there. I don't know why really, but I giggle when I read Rise of The Tomb Raider. Love the games, though. I hope they don't do a timed exclusive again and ai have to wait a long time for it to come to PS4.
Something about the "the" in there makes it sound so self-serious. As if "tomb raider" were a title or something.

A more lighthearted tone for the series would be welcome. Doesn't seem like that's in the cards given what we've heard of this game though.

Harlequin

Oh. Yeah, sure. But that's kind of old news and a general problem with AAA modern gaming.

I was wondering if the poster had a more relevant basis for comparison.

The only modern game that is comparable to the old Tomb Raider games (IMO) is Mirror's Edge. It lacks the puzzles and its atmosphere/setting is completely different, of course, but the platforming and level design aren't that far off (at least in the first ME game). Challenging 3D platforming that requires you to understand and master the game's controls and find a way from point A to point B.

eXistor

I really hope the new devs can make the series relevant again (to me). I liked the reboot well enough at the time, but I couldn't stand Rise, I thought it was just exceedingly bad and predictable in all important areas.

Not that I disagree, but I'm wondering: opposed to what?

I think Uncharted games are generally safer and more dull to play, but it's a race to the bottom at that point.

For one, Uncharted uses settings that are a million times more interesting even if it doesnt deliver on that front completely. The setpieces in that game arent always about the floor breaking either. I enjoyed the first tr reboot a little less than uc 1 because both of them used a rather boring setting of a single island.
But Rotr made that mistake twice in a row, added with the fact that it made its plot borderline incomprehensible and the setting was just plain boring snow valley all throughout.The reason why I like 1 more was because the gameplay felt fresh and it had somewhat of a decent plot.

But screw all that, the reason why uncharted isnt trash is because of the characters, its always put characters above the adventure , made them extremely deep and interesting and never shifted focus.
Lara was supposed evolve but in rotr she just turned into a boring stone cold killer who's looking to cure cancer or something.As off putting her 'im new to this ' trait was in tr 2013, at least she had a personality .Rotr's lara was supposed to grow into her job and enjoy it.

It speaks volums when the uc team can create side characters well developed enough to have entire games based on them while i struggle to name a single friend of lara from the second game.

Rotr was nothing more than mechanically sound shooter in a well connected world that could look really pretty sometimes.

dlauv

For one, Uncharted uses settings that are a million times more interesting even if it doesnt deliver on that front completely. The setpieces in that game arent always about the floor breaking either. I enjoyed the first tr reboot a little less than uc 1 because both of them used a rather boring setting of a single island.
But Rotr made that mistake twice in a row, added with the fact that it made its plot borderline incomprehensible and the setting was just plain boring snow valley all throughout.The reason why I like 1 more was because the gameplay felt fresh and it had somewhat of a decent plot.

But screw all that, the reason why uncharted isnt trash is because of the characters, its always put characters above the adventure , made them extremely deep and interesting and never shifted focus.
Lara was supposed evolve but in rotr she just turned into a boring stone cold killer who's looking to cure cancer or something.As off putting her 'im new to this ' trait was in tr 2013, at least she had a personality .Rotr's lara was supposed to grow into her job and enjoy it.

It speaks volums when the uc team can create side characters well developed enough to have entire games based on them while i struggle to name a single friend of lara from the second game.

Rotr was nothing more than mechanically sound shooter in a well connected world that could look really pretty sometimes.

Uncharted's characters do nothing for me. Nor does its storytelling. In fact it can come off as patronizing. TR's is admittedly worse, but that's never made it play like less of a game. Frankly, I skipped most of Rise's cutscenes after the first hour, lol. I think it actually plays a lot better (Rise worse than '13) than UC due to the much higher skill ceiling on combat + less guided in general ('13 worse than Rise). But I guess storytelling means a whole lot for games nowadays.

But even then it's kind of strange to me to revere so much such schlocky story and characters.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I love the new series to go into the original story/location etc
But very loosely so it's a
giphy.gif

Moment

Harlequin

I love the new series to go into the original story/location etc
But very loosely so it's a

Moment

Considering how very different this Lara and her backstory are from the original character, it'd indeed have to be very, very loosely.

RM8

I admittedly haven't played the last two games, but I was playing the demo for Legends earlier today, and man! I want more of this :(

george_us

Man I wish they'd go back to, or at least lean heavily towards, the light hearted Indiana Jones-ish sense of adventure of the previous games. Playing Temple of Osiris and Lara Croft GO made me realize how much I miss that shit.

I'm still disappointed they are sticking with the ugly, crappy modern design of Lara still. Lara is a better character with her iconic outfit such as shorts, small backpack and dual wield pistols. I don't wanna go around throwing my rope at everything, I want to see the return of true acrobatics.

It's pretty cool to see pyramids come back but I wonder how restrictive they are going to make it? The old better Tomb Raider games were almost labyrinth like whereas the newer ones are linear and unfun.

I want to be excited about this, but I just can't get over the way movement feels in these games. Lara is like a feather and jumping feels like I am playing little big planet. They need to make the platforming feel more weighty which would match the more serious tone of the rest of the game. Although I have only played 2013 so maybe the new one is better in this regard.

So this will probably be a GC reveal right?

So fucking ready!

I loved Crystal's takes on the game but I can't deny being curious what this developer does with it.

Elios83

Please hire a decent writer and bring adult Lara back.
Given that Eidos Montreal is handling this I'm more optimistic that we'll get something that feels new.

Top Bottom