• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Possible "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" Logos and Gameplay/Locations Leaked

Bioshocker

9yYtp2.gif

3oEduXVXN7HZSWffYk.gif

These 2 gifs show what's wrong with the reboots from an objective point of view. The older games were more about personal skill; well-executed timed jumps with planning ahead, and the newer dudebro ones are about delivering flashy images with dirt and explosions everywhere and all you do is hold left analogue forward. And I will bet my ass this new TR game will go with the latter, whereby, the solutions to solve environmental puzzles in the pyramids will be based around finding the trigger box to activate a pre-determined scripted event, rather than the player using their own intuition to find their way through the level.

Maybe this says more about the business in general and what games are like now compared to before. People are lazy and impatient today, they want quick rewards.

Personally I really liked Rise. I still play it from time to time, and there are very few action/adventure games I can say that about.

The Tomb Raider reboot was good, but it never felt lika TR game to me (and the characters were not interesting at all). In Rise they did most things right and really created some stunning environments. What I didn't like were the most chaotic action sequences. I hope the limit those and expand the exploration in the next game. Lara on her own with a bow is just perfect.

dottme

Other than pacing, the main advantage for RotTR is its world design. It would not be correct to call it an open world, but it does have a persistent, interconnected game world that you can backtrack in. It provides you a degree of freedom to explore as you unlock new tools and abilities. It features optional tombs with puzzles to solve. The existence of this optional secondary content turns the experience into something more than just a visually impressive rollercoaster; the player can inject more puzzle solving and exploration into the experience if they want it, but they may also just stick to the linear story and breeze through the experience focusing more on plot and action.

Some people like upgrade and progression systems, and RotTR has that too. I'm indifferent towards such systems unless they becomes intrusive, but for me it was just there enough to provide some incentive for exploration but not annoying enough to the point where I was grinding for resources and doing boring quests just for the sake of the system. A solid balance.

Those 2 points are for me the main reason I prefer the new Tomb Raider. It gives the game a sense of playing something instead of just watching an interactive movie.

Top Bottom