• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Possible "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" Logos and Gameplay/Locations Leaked

dottme

I'm really hype for this. I think Tomb Raider has become better than Uncharted.
Uncharted4 really disappoint me so all my expectations are on this game now.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Was suprised this wasn't at E3. I'm ready though and curious to see what a new dev will do with it.

Pretty shocking actually. Wasn't like E3 was particularly overflowing with incredible stuff this year either.

Microsoft exclusive?

You mean timed Xbox/PC? Depends on if Microsoft is willing to do whatever deal they worked out with Square Enix once more. If they've said they're not really doing that anymore, then no, it won't be.

Looking forward to this. Should be interesting to see how Eidos Montreal's vision of what Tomb Raider is will pan out. Considering they were the team in charge of designing the optional tombs in Rise of The Tomb Raider, it's very promising. Hopefully they go a bit further into exploration and puzzle solving and dial back the firefights a bit.

dreamfall

I miss the Core days.

I really enjoyed the past two titles for what they were, but I really hope there aren't as many combat set pieces and the platforming/climbing controls get the focus. I think the direction they took with multiple tomb puzzles in Rise was definitely a better path, and now I'd like to see that expanded on. As someone who collected everything twice (XBO+PC), I'd like to see less focus on collectathon's and mini hub area challenges. More on character and narrative development along with platforming puzzles.

Still, I'm glad this game is looming about in the shadows! We need more Tomb Raider!

Blindy

Really hope they can nail the supporting cast of characters problems they have had in the first two games, the very end(Without spoiling) of what was shown with ROTTR has a lot of promise. Hope to have quality a villain or villains this time around.

Very much preferred the early and sadly short Syria start of Rise of the Tomb Raider to the bulk of the other location. Pyramids sound very good.

Bioshocker

I am one of those (one of the few probably) who liked Rise of the Tomb Raider more than Uncharted 4. Can't wait for a sequel.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Please be more like the first one. Rise was such a let down in comparison.

Oh cool, so I'm never going to play Rise then. The first was one of the most mediocre big budget games I've ever played. It felt like half the game got removed due to focus groups.

KodaRuss

I think I am out until the next reboot, the last one was terrible. Such a slog, her writing was god awful and the entire story was one big eye roll filled with cliches and just dumb as hell characters.

KodaRuss

I am one of those (one of the few probably) who liked Rise of the Tomb Raider more than Uncharted 4. Can't wait for a sequel.

Honestly, I cannot believe this. What did you like better?

Uncharted has better story, locations, characters, dialogue, set pieces and overall gameplay.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

Uncharted has better story, locations, characters, dialogue, set pieces and overall gameplay.

They probably felt the stealth and gunplay is better, and they'd be right.

Uncharted has an issue with bullet sponges, though the ratings might be part of that..

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Wut, why is that so hard to believe. I too prefer Rise over Uncharted 4.

Rise's gameplay, imo, towers over Uncharted 4 and shits on it from great height. And, personally, I like Lara more than Drake, so that's that too.

With a name like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it could indicate that it could be the rumored survival horror game. I wouldn't mind seeing that. Day one.

I'm actually surprised it wasn't announced at E3. For some reason I felt like it would be out this fall. Guess it's going to be announced at VGA and out for next fall.

Best wishes.

Pachimari

I haven't started my playthrough of Rise of the Tomb Raider but I'm curious, what was it about the collectathon that was so bad? Isn't it collecting optional items like in Wolfenstein or platform games? Or was it something entirely different?

dottme

Please don't add more collectathon and rpg bullshit. The 2013 TR was so much better than bloated ass Rise.
You know you were notforce to collect everything. I don't remember any collectât hon from Rise of the Tomb Raider, so they were probably quite optionnal as I was able to avoid them.

NeoRaider

You know you were notforce to collect everything. I don't remember any collectât hon from Rise of the Tomb Raider, so they were probably quite optionnal as I was able to avoid them.

"Please don't include anything optional that i don't like. I don't want others to have fun"...

XD

Shin

Banned
More reboot Lara the better, though I still have yet to play the past 2 games.
Pyramids sound good, new hair style also huh? Braided.

Uncharted 4 has an edge in the quality of its voice work, graphics and animations, but in terms of the quality of the story itself I don't see UC4 as being superior (i.e. they're both poor and I consider UC4 in particular to be heavily overrated), and neither UC4 nor the two modern Tomb Raiders are really nailing the pulpy/silly story I'm hoping to get out of these. RotTR is closer than UC4 by embracing the silliness more, but still not great.

Where Uncharted 4 really stumbles is its pacing. It does have the best combat in its own series, but also the least of it, preferring instead to lean very heavily on narrative sections and the series trademark auto-platforming. It also takes time to do new things that don't add much - driving around Madagascar in a car and boating around exotic waters was a visual spectacle, but not actually very fun in gameplay terms. Uncharted's secondary mechanics were always a palette cleanser, not the main course. UC4 does not understand this and skews the balance too far in favour of its weakest gameplay systems.

Other than pacing, the main advantage for RotTR is its world design. It would not be correct to call it an open world, but it does have a persistent, interconnected game world that you can backtrack in. It provides you a degree of freedom to explore as you unlock new tools and abilities. It features optional tombs with puzzles to solve. The existence of this optional secondary content turns the experience into something more than just a visually impressive rollercoaster; the player can inject more puzzle solving and exploration into the experience if they want it, but they may also just stick to the linear story and breeze through the experience focusing more on plot and action.

Some people like upgrade and progression systems, and RotTR has that too. I'm indifferent towards such systems unless they becomes intrusive, but for me it was just there enough to provide some incentive for exploration but not annoying enough to the point where I was grinding for resources and doing boring quests just for the sake of the system. A solid balance.

Pachimari

Wait, so the collectathon was optional? People in here makes it sound like it was a necessity, since they complain about it. Why would anyone complain about something being optional?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'm a fan of the new Tomb Raider even though I think the series peaked with Legend. Rise of the Tomb Raider suffers a bit from being unfocused and overly long. It wasn't a good sequel since none of the ideas of the first game carried over. But, I did see it through to the end, which isn't something that happens too often these days.

I'll play this one too. Hopefully the PS4-version doesn't stall for a needless year this time.

Wait, so the collectathon was optional? People in here makes it sound like it was a necessity, since they complain about it. Why would anyone complain about something being optional?
People complain about optional side quests in games literally all the time. "Waaah this Ubi map is covered in icons. Waaahhhh why does Dragon Age Inquisition have so many fetch quests."

I agree it's silly, just don't do them.

CheckMate

Rise had probably the most boring story I have ever played recently. No game made me want to skip every cutscene as much as that game did. All characters felt hollow, mainly Lara being a bore to watch. Please fix that.

Also, I hope they got a better voice actress for Lara...

hotcyder

Looking forward to it!

I would like a shake-up to the familiarity of the series though - it's developed a few tropes both across the games and through repetition in their titles.

I think it's stuff like the obvious platforming set pieces (Jump onto a thing, the thing collapses, quickly mash that X button WOOOOOAH) as well as how samey a lot of the combat encounters feel like. I'd love to see more of a focus on those off the track Tomb sections from the second game.

So, if I understood this correctly, they were provided a concept about the location and mood of the game to come up with ideas for promotional art, it seems?
Looks like we're going tomb raiding in (what looks like) Mayan temples this time. Good.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Can't say I'm really excited for this after Rise of the Tomb Raider, but we'll see. If the maps are as boring to traverse as the ones in ROTTR were, then count me out. I found the first game to be a more cohesive and tighter experience.

Top Bottom