• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PSASBR leaks lead to recent SCEA PR firing [Up: Fabricated report. Not true.]

I still figure the abundance of leaks were simply publicity stunts in order to garner "Dojo!" levels of hype. And considering the discussion they've enjoyed here, they seem to have done the trick.

Question though:
"Whens the game out?"

Twisted Metal got like a 10 minute segment, huge models and a big thing at E3...when it got released - no one even knew.

Averon

It seems SCEA have gotten worse over the past 2-3 years. Was there a huge management change in recent years? SCEE seems to be the only competent division within SCEI. SCEA is looking more and more like a mismanaged, incompetent mess, and SCEJ has been largely non-existent for years, though they seem to be trying to fix that.

Radius

The whole story behind PSABR really lead me to believe that Paul Gale was part of the game's PR campaign all along: He came up with the announcement of the game out of nowhere after least year's E3 and threw in some absurd claims (like James Bond being a playable character) to ignite discussion about the game on every gaming site (potentially raising interest from third party publishers in order to facilitate negotiations about characters from their games). Since then NeoGAF alone has generated over 35,000 replies in threads about PSABR. The only other way the game could have generated that much consumer interest would have been a massively inflated character cast starring a lot of expensive 3rd party guest stars.

That said I'm gonna buy the game nonetheless.

JazzmanZ

The problem with All stars is they absolutely refused to show anything else to the game besides the characters and stages. We only got a little tibit of the arcade mode and that was it.

We don't even know about any of the other modes, is there a vault like thing aka SSB? what is the capture the flag business? what exactly is arcade mode going to be about? etc.

The sad thing is over on a few forums people have already posted the links about the roster having only 20 characters. Subsequently the posts by the cynics already were the proverbial "NO CRASH?? NO SNAKE OR CLOUD??" "WTF!?!?!? THIS GAME IS GONNA TANK TANK TANK!!"

Idk if Sony/Superbot just underestimated how important these gaming icons are for a game of this caliber but right now it is unequivocally clear. I'll keep saying it unless Sony hands me a plate of crow come launch date but if at least ONE of those characters don't make it in then I'll say that Sony should have known this were going to happen. I just can feel this game launching and having low sales because of the bad PR, pre hype and lack of a solid main character for the game.

kuroshiki

The sad thing is over on a few forums people have already posted the links about the roster having only 20 characters. Subsequently the posts by the cynics already were the proverbial "NO CRASH?? NO SNAKE OR CLOUD??" "WTF!?!?!? THIS GAME IS GONNA TANK TANK TANK!!"

Idk if Sony/Superbot just underestimated how important these gaming icons are for a game of this caliber but right now it is unequivocally clear. I'll keep saying it unless Sony hands me a plate of crow come launch date but if at least ONE of those characters don't make it in then I'll say that Sony should have known this were going to happen. I just can feel this game launching and having low sales because of the bad PR, pre hype and lack of a solid main character for the game.

Not sure about US but I can guarantee you this game will tank BADLY in Japan.

Sony just don't own any of them. Thats the sole truth.

Cloud? Square Enix have Kingdom of Hearts to think about.
Crash? Activision won't be giving away use of an IP they must know they need to relaunch in the future.
Snake? Not a Sony exclusive, an ongoing franchise and adds too much value to the front of the box. Konami would demand a significant share (over 50%) of the profits for the inclusion of Snake. Whereas with Smash Bros., Konami knew that it would sell with or without Snake.

All of these are not Playstation characters. Never have been, their third parties. Sony lost their exclusives this gen, a wind of change (mixed with their own incompetence) changed this.

The truth is this is a game supposed to be for Sony fans; the other truth is that these were never Sony products - the fans misplaced their love for these games in a company who neither owned them or produced them.

Sony have no leverage to get these characters they don't own. Their own first party characters are not very powerful brands; third parties know that any inclusion of their characters adds massively to the value of the game; they'll demand a fair share. The only characters they managed to get were based on the publishers wanting to market their own game.

Truth is, all these third parties might as well make their own Smash clone; Sony brings nothing of value to the table for them. Absolutely nothing. Thats why they can't get any of these characters.

Anteater

Not sure about US but I can guarantee you this game will tank BADLY in Japan.

Sony games sell kind of decent overall worldwide though don't they? I don't think they need to worry about the japanese market, I don't know how much games like uncharted sell in Japan, but I was always under the impression they sold good in the west.

It seems SCEA have gotten worse over the past 2-3 years. Was there a huge management change in recent years? SCEE seems to be the only competent division within SCEI. SCEA is looking more and more like a mismanaged, incompetent mess, and SCEJ has been largely non-existent for years, though they seem to be trying to fix that.
LOL

Hang on... Why bash the PR guy... the point of PR has very little to do with telling the actual truth. Surely everyone knows this?

The point of PR is to provide an output of information that is in line with the companies strategy. Most PR is to 'sell' (thats the generally basic strategy); the problem here is that SCEA PR would have acted on their own strategy to do this, not following the broadly agreed release strategy.

The strategy was to build hype for the game, instead SCEA PR were working to cover themselves for the leak; they created false rumours and information which created 'demand' from fans and the press for characters/a game that SCE could not provide.

This does not sell copies of a game, it actively works against the PR output of SCEJ and SCEE; as when they start releasing information that was not in line with expectations it'd cause a backlash.

PR has to be controlled and strategic. One part of the PR machine acting on its own, and against the strategy agreed internally is a complete mess. The entire thing was counter-productive and SCEA PR were effectively putting out PR that went against the rest of the company.

PR has to control expectations as well. Its so important to nail every line; its all about strategy, get it right and your plain sailing.
PR is not about 'lying' to sell the product, the product itself should be strong enough to sell itself. PR is about actively promoting the positive points of a product and down playing any negative points.

The entire strategy collapsed post-leak; and the actions of SCEA PR made it worse.

Whether or not its true, I have no idea :p

Eh? They've got to be one of the best functioning regional at Sony? Yes their still dealing with the concoction of products cooked at SCEJ; but they do it very well.
They sell PS3's very well for example; and whilst they probably hate the Vita and the strategy behind it; they've done it to the best of their ability.

Sony games sell kind of decent overall worldwide though don't they? I don't think they need to worry about the japanese market, I don't know how much games like uncharted sell in Japan, but I was always under the impression they sold good in the west.

Uncharted is a different game from a fighting game though. Nintendo sell Smash because of the wide array of characters in it; Sony have Nathan Drake - how much demand is there to fight a (poor resemblance of) Nathan Drake against all these characters you've never heard of (Fat Princess, really?).

It'll do 'alright' but it'll make no ripples. In Japan though its just not going to do anything of significance.

The point of PR is to provide an output of information that is in line with the companies strategy. Most PR is to 'sell' (thats the generally basic strategy); the problem here is that SCEA PR would have acted on their own strategy to do this, not following the broadly agreed release strategy.

The strategy was to build hype for the game, instead SCEA PR were working to cover themselves for the leak; they created false rumours and information which created 'demand' from fans and the press for characters/a game that SCE could not provide.

This does not sell copies of a game, it actively works against the PR output of SCEJ and SCEE; as when they start releasing information that was not in line with expectations it'd cause a backlash.

PR has to be controlled and strategic. One part of the PR machine acting on its own, and against the strategy agreed internally is a complete mess. The entire thing was counter-productive and SCEA PR were effectively putting out PR that went against the rest of the company.

PR has to control expectations as well. Its so important to nail every line; its all about strategy, get it right and your plain sailing.
PR is not about 'lying' to sell the product, the product itself should be strong enough to sell itself. PR is about actively promoting the positive points of a product and down playing any negative points.

The entire strategy collapsed post-leak; and the actions of SCEA PR made it worse.

Whether or not its true, I have no idea :p

Eh? They've got to be one of the best functioning regional at Sony? Yes their still dealing with the concoction of products cooked at SCEJ; but they do it very well.
They sell PS3's very well for example; and whilst they probably hate the Vita and the strategy behind it; they've done it to the best of their ability.

Uncharted is a different game from a fighting game though. Nintendo sell Smash because of the wide array of characters in it; Sony have Nathan Drake - how much demand is there to fight a (poor resemblance of) Nathan Drake against all these characters you've never heard of (Fat Princess, really?).

It'll do 'alright' but it'll make no ripples. In Japan though its just not going to do anything of significance.
I just mean in a game and studios way it more than makes up for the issues they(SCEA) have.

Truth is, all these third parties might as well make their own Smash clone; Sony brings nothing of value to the table for them. Absolutely nothing. Thats why they can't get any of these characters.

"Hi, we'd like to pay you money to advertise your character in another game we're footing the entire bill for."

"No way man, your money has no value! We're gonna go make Universal Interactive All Stars. Spyro vs. Shaky Jake. Suck it."

Zeroth

Snake? Not a Sony exclusive, an ongoing franchise and adds too much value to the front of the box. Konami would demand a significant share (over 50%) of the profits for the inclusion of Snake. Whereas with Smash Bros., Konami knew that it would sell with or without Snake.

That's not true. At all. I would recommend avoiding speculating stuff as a fact regarding third party characters in crossover games. It works much simpler (and dirtier) than that.

thuway

SCEA dont have the studios. Sony Worldwide Studios manages the dev teams and resources. All SCEA has to do promoto the game and they fail miserably in that regard.

SCEA itself needs to be put down like a dirty dog. Watching SCEE put out Vita commercials worth a damn, intelligently bundle Uncharted 3 and Fifa 13 together, and give away Red Dead Redemption is something SCEA should have done.

Jack Tretton needs to go.

"Hi, we'd like to pay you money to advertise your character in another game we're footing the entire bill for."

"No way man, your money has no value! We're gonna go make Universal Interactive All Stars. Spyro vs. Shaky Jake. Suck it."

So Spyro/Crash/Cloud/Snake are all in Playstation AllStars! OMG!

/rollseyes

Brands have worth. Why on earth would I give you my brand if I know its worth more?
Companies know they add value to a product, they know Sony adds no real value. Why would I want to sell my character to them for a value less than their worth? Seriously, why do I care if Sony profits or not? I don't.

As I say, all the publishers with games needing publishing have agreed to let their characters in Sony Stars. The reason there is no 'Universal Allstars' is because they'd all argue over who adds the most worth, with one or two big companies wanting nearly all the profits.

Nintendo don't have this problem as they actually own the characters they have exclusive rights to. They created them. They don't negotiate over their worth.

I don't think promotion and game budgets work the way you think they work.

Not sure you understand what my post was saying. Not sure what you mean, expanding might help. But promotion and budgets are important, I just don't think they make up for some of the biggest brands in the industry.

BHK3

Banned
Sony have Nathan Drake - how much demand is there to fight a (poor resemblance of) Nathan Drake against all these characters you've never heard of (Fat Princess, really?).

This is a poor argument since the exact same thing can be said for smash bros.

So Spyro/Crash/Cloud/Snake are all in Playstation AllStars! OMG!

/rollseyes

Brands have worth. Why on earth would I give you my brand if I know its worth more?
Companies know they add value to a product, they know Sony adds no real value. Why would I want to sell my character to them for a value less than their worth? Seriously, why do I care if Sony profits or not? I don't.

As I say, all the publishers with games needing publishing have agreed to let their characters in Sony Stars. The reason there is no 'Universal Allstars' is because they'd all argue over who adds the most worth, with one or two big companies wanting nearly all the profits.

Nintendo don't have this problem as they actually own the characters they have exclusive rights to. They created them. They don't negotiate over their worth.
You sound like an expert.

Takao

Banned
got damn crash bandicoot went ham:

As for the people who been following the game, you have heard the ps layoff rumor involving sony and paul gale. This info was started and spread by Afro Gunsou.
PS Rumor
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493575&highlight=

In it and in many post he claims to be an Voice actor and with further searching specifically jerry jewel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Jewell
proof:

op_zps45ccc530.png

Here is admits to being the voice of kaku

iu_zps7ebfdc2e.png

Here he starts a guessing game on which voice actor he is in casshern sins

89_zps05f2e1f4.png

here he admits he does the voice work of dio which VA is Jerry Jewel

more evidence

xc_zpsb4519d36.png

Here he confirms that he is in fact him

so since we got that out of the way.....

I contacted http://www.sillygingermonkey.com/#! which is Jerry's website and after a day Jerry's Girlfriend/Wife contacted me ( she manages Jerry's website) contacted me and informed me that he is not a member of neogaf, which after an hour of talk in email and aim came to a conclusion that he is in fact false.

here is the statement posted on his site
http://www.sillygingermonkey.com/#!internet-hoax

So we can saftly assume since he is not who he says he is the rumor is false as well, and Paul gale is innocent of what he is being accused of which not only does everyone owe him an appology but his tag needs to be removed. Now for the proof that I did in fact have these conversations if the link to the website was not enough

email
waywarddean

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM, Cody Downs <soviet26@yahoo.com> wrote:

do u have aim, I can prob get u info quicker there and no he has not yet i pmed him though asking if he was him, he also claimed to voice in this anime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casshern_Sins I think as dio looking for the source now

To: Cody Downs <soviet26@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 12:06 AM
Subject: Re: question

Jerry said he voiced Kaku for the video game, not the anime, however EVERYWHERE I've looked, ONLY lists Jerry as the English Kaku. It could be possible there's someone else who voiced Kaku, but he has no idea who it is. I've texted Mike McFarland and asked him...he would know for sure.

Has this person actually SAID/ADMITTED to being Jerry? That is what we're most concerned about.

Explain this Playstation Allstars thing...is he pretending to be Jerry over there as well? What about bribes?

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Cody Downs <soviet26@yahoo.com> wrote:

well I am trying to wait until he responds, did you ask jerry yourself on the subject what did he say? The same guy that is claiming to be him made a rumor on playstation allstars that is serious claims against an indidual taking bribes

Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:13 PM

Cody,

I am Jerry's girlfriend of 4 years. We live together. I run his website, his Facebook page and handle anything internet/social media related. Jerry doesn't participate on any social media sites, trust me. He is not a gamer and is not a member of that site. Also? Anyone who ACTUALLY works for FUNimation, knows how to spell it (and the abbreviation) and would NEVER share "insider" information on a random message board. This person says "We're providing fans with the dubs as they are recorded online". That is NOT how FUNimation works.

It's bad enough they are falsely representing themselves as Jerry, but they're also giving out misinformation about a company they obviously know nothing about, other than what they have read or heard.

I've already sent an e-mail to the website's support team and will pursue it further if need be.

Janna

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Cody Downs <soviet26@yahoo.com> wrote:

do u know that for sure though that he dont have an account on his free time

Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:02 AM

OK...since I"m not a member it won't allow me to do anything above seeing that post.

That being said, could you please do me a favor and send a message to the moderators/administrators and report this person. You may reference this e-mail and give them my contact information. You might try and reply with "You said you voiced Kaku, does that meant you are Jerry Jewell, the voice actor?" See what their response is. We could use it as proof. If they respond, please send me the screencapture/link as well. Thank you so much.

Janna Bruss
willownoz1@gmail.com

This person is NOT the voice actor Jerry Jewell and as far as I know, is in no way representing FUNimation. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Janna

Screencap:

kl_zps287bd8a3.png

Screencap of aim conv:
az_zpsb659bd92.png

Plus pretending to be a significant(? Never heard of Jerry Jewell, no disrespect meant) voice actor would probably lead to someone eventually trying to work out if you're legit or not.

By the way I'm John DiMaggio and the reason why Sakurai might be joining EAD Tokyo Kyoto is because he managed to score an exclusive deal to have Master Chief in SSB4.

Sounds like a troll looking for drama that got ahead of himself.

Its pretty much identity theft to a certain degree. That Afro guy could get prosecuted for that shit.

got damn crash bandicoot went ham:

Ahaha, wow.

As an aside, soviet prince, I'd suggest you edit the email addresses and phone number out of your post (and ask Takao to edit them as well). Seems like a REALLY bad idea to have them right there (especially when one of them isn't your own email).

Top Bottom