• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

So many obnoxious people in here.

Nintendo already acknowledged a significant gap in power is one that was a fatal flaw in the Wii as far as Third Party goes. They are not going to do that again for Next Gen. I think people are expecting way too much from Sony and Microsoft Next Gen. They are gonna be the ones doing the tiny leap while Nintendo does a Huge leap to catch up.

ElRenoRaven

newjeruse said:
If the late 2012 launch is true and if the speculation that it's at our around the power of current HD consoles, that's very disappointing news.

That's a lot of "if's" though.

I wouldn't mind one bit if it did away with the motion control bullshit. The Wii is the first Nintendo Console I've not bought and if the next one looked as good as the 360 and PS3 and used a proper controller I'd be a happy camper.

Hell I've heard rumblings of this since 2009.

the word then was to expect 360 quality graphics.

I'm wondering if it's going for a Blu ray drive?

ksamedi

The Wii will go out with a bang (DQ 10) and this makes me almost certain that we will see Wii relax as an early Wii 2 launch title which in turn makes me believe the controller will have an integrated vitality sensor.

I don't get this. They want to remain competitive in terms of 3rd party support for what, a year? Because PS4/720 will probably shit on it unless Nintendo goes for very very high end. But for some reason I doubt they will. Unless they're hoping it will be easy to downscale games on PS4 lets say to work on Wii2.

None the less I'm excited to see it. The more traditional of a console the better.

GI said:
In fact, Nintendo is already showing publishers the system in an effort to get them interested and allow them plenty of time to start developing titles in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch. This advance support marks a change from when the Wii launched. At that time, several Western publishers were outright surprised by the announcement, and it affected the software support for the platform.
Wait, what? Wii was announced as Revolution 21 months before launch. The Wii Remote was shown 14 months before launch. Being based on GameCube, there wasn't a wild learning curve and crazy new tools to adjust to. I can understand publisher disinterest after GameCube, but not being blindsided by the system coming out of nowhere and not having time to prepare.
shinobi602 said:
Well...it makes sense given the current Wii is like a generation behind the 360/PS3.
It's that way because Nintendo was recycling the GameCube for ease, low risk, and low cost. They don't already have a 360/PS3 level hardware to recycle.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The problem with releasing in the next 12 months is that they will likely be trumped by MS and Sony 12 months later... therefore being left behind, again.

ElRenoRaven

SykoTech said:
Traditional control support confirmed then? Please make it so!

Oh god I can dream. I really just want a Nintendo console as strong or stronger then the 360/PS3 with a proper controller. I'll even settle for the shitty online system they insist on using if it was at least that strong with a proper controller.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wario64 said:
There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems.
I was going to say something about this, but I think it's beyond words.

Dave Long

Banned
Getting your hopes up that there will be a "traditional controller" in the box is probably not smart.

If you want to live in the past, you have a 360 or a PS3 to play on. Just hang out there.

Ono vindicated :O

This is as good as mine. I never pass up a Nintendo system. I just hope they will be competitive this time. As time wore on, the gap in power started to hurt it. I don't mind spending a bit more for a more future-proof system

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions.

This is such a joke that they actually have to confirm this in 2011.

birdchili

TheSeks said:
You can have your Super Wii, Nintendo but I'm not buying it again.

Motion controls suck and there is only 4 games on the system that appealed to me. Not going to spend $250 just to be burned like that again just so those games don't look like shit on my HDTV. :|
i have my share of disappointment with this system, but i'm not buying a console without a pointer again: best ui interface control, best zombie headshot control.

(note: please develop better UIs and zombie headshot games)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I hope Nintendo packs more of a punch into the system then just PS3/360 level hardware, but I don't think they will go with as underpowered of a system. They just need something that will look good in HD, and have some sort of feature to draw people.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
antonz said:

Nintendo already acknowledged a significant gap in power is one that was a fatal flaw in the Wii as far as Third Party goes. They are not going to do that again for Next Gen. I think people are expecting way too much from Sony and Microsoft Next Gen. They are gonna be the ones doing the tiny leap while Nintendo does a Huge leap to catch up.

Soo they're not going to do the thing that made the Wii a huge financial success to begin with? I guess losing money on each console is the way to go.

I've been maintaining to my friends that there's no way Nintendo would announce a new console at E3, mainly for the sake of not taking the spotlight off of the 3DS. If I'm wrong however, I will gladly eat crow.

Here's hoping Skyward Sword gets delayed until the launch of the Wii 2 (but still gets a gimped release on the regular Wii as well). I loved it when that happened with Twilight Princess.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Even if they make this so called imaginary system, why would third-party developers like Valve and such just jump on board? Especially with the track record of those types of games on the brand.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I like some of what the Wiimote had to offer, but it would be great if Next Wii came with a classic controller bundled in so that more games wouldn't be afraid to use it. More options would be nice. And of course, no more tethering our CC's to the Wiimote. That's shits gotta be wireless son.

Way ahead of myself here, but new Nintendo consoles are always exciting.

SykoTech said:
Traditional control support confirmed then? Please make it so!

I'd interpret that quote more as:

-- Wii was (basically) just a motion controller stuck on to a repackaged GameCube, with all the issues that later caused. This time, Nintendo aren't doing that.

I don't think it means the end of motion interfaces - or the absence of other "gimmicks" - just that this time it isn't going to be the focus, or strapped to a repackaged system.

Zenith

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Oh yeah and Pachter called it. Man is a genius!

How? Predicting Nintendo will eventually come out with a more powerful console some time in the future? You're actually going to give him credit for that?

Launch a console more powerful than the 360 and PS3 at $400, Nintendo. You'll come out looking good when MS and Sony launch there's at $700+.

antonz said:

Uhh have you met Sony? They're obsessed with cutting edge shit. PS4 will blow the wii 2 away unless Nintendo opts for VERY VERY high end stuff for the end of 2012. That way it'll still be outmatched but not by much. And I figure the next xbox will be similar to ps4.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
PsychoRaven said:
I wouldn't mind one bit if it did away with the motion control bullshit. The Wii is the first Nintendo Console I've not bought and if the next one looked as good as the 360 and PS3 and used a proper controller I'd be a happy camper.

Never going to happen. All 3 hardware makers will have motion controls as standard with their next console, rightly so. The market demands it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Zenith said:
How? Predicting Nintendo will eventually come out with a more powerful console some time in the future? You're actually going to give him credit for that?

I predict microsoft will announce a new more powerful console...sometime.

Can I have some money now?

Wario64 said:
"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii.".

Anonymous source is an anonymous idiot.

Nintendo release a console that sells millions, dominates the market, makes a profit on every unit sold from day one, and sells stupid amounts of evergreen software.

Its competitors are more expensive to build, less profitable per unit and have sold in significantly lesser amounts.

How in the name of fuck is the latter business model "doing this one right" while the former is relegated to a gimmick?

Idiocy.

Persona7

Banned
badcrumble said:
Here's hoping Skyward Sword gets delayed until the launch of the Wii 2 (but still gets a gimped release on the regular Wii as well). I loved it when that happened with Twilight Princess.
The gamecube version of Twilight Princess is so superior it is almost laughable

Dave Long said:
Getting your hopes up that there will be a "traditional controller" in the box is probably not smart.

If you want to live in the past, you have a 360 or a PS3 to play on. Just hang out there.

9hibzd.gif

Boonoo

kswiston said:
Doesn't matter how powerful the system is. Devs will still push XTREME graphics over IQ.

I don't think we'll see games pushing past 1080p for a while, so at the very least hitting a good resolution should be possible. And being able to comfortably hit that can go a long way.

XAL

antonz said:

Nintendo already acknowledged a significant gap in power is one that was a fatal flaw in the Wii as far as Third Party goes. They are not going to do that again for Next Gen..

One can only hope.

As of late it feels like they're trying to do the bare minimum - rehashing core titles and constant minuscule hardware revisions...the whole motion control thing. Hopefully they use the insane monies they've earned with the low-spec/high profit Wii to develop a formidable contender for the next console cycle. That and make new IPs as well as the next iterations of Zelda, Mario, etc. Also, proper controller (PLEASE).

Foliorum Viridum said:
The more I think about it the more I realise Nintendo can't possibly put 2005 hardware in this thing. They just couldn't.

They couldn't FIND 2005 tech to put in it. They could launch it at $300 and it'd be substantively better looking than 360/PS3, $400 if they really want to future proof.

Criminal Upper said:
The timing doesn't make sense at all. Even though we'd all love to hear about a new system, Zelda's release date is kinda messing everything up.

Unless they move Skyward Sword to the new system? Who knows.

This industry is BUH NAN NUHS

Didn't Nintendo delay twilight princess to release it on the wii? With widescreen that the gamecube somehow couldn't handle?

I imagine something like this will happen again. SS will release on both the wii and whatever its successor is with some updated graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom