• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boney said:
btw how are the banners in wario world for the other consoles?
nitro_header.jpg

pirata

I think what the various leaks are pointing to is that the Cafe is going to have better innards than the 360 or PS3, but that it won't be anything recognizable as a generational gap. The difference in power will be "not significant" in the sense that a game on Cafe could be ported to the other two systems without having to completely redo tons of art assets, and vice versa.

A good place to set expectations would be with current low-end PC hardware (look in the PC thread at the "damn capable build" for an idea, perhaps). That would still give the machine more umph than the other systems, but at a relatively budget price.

I don't think this means that they're giving up on the Wii, though. I expect it to still be pushed by Nintendo, but now targeting the "casual" audience more or less exclusively. The "two-pillar" strategy that Nintendo tried out around the DS's launch is a good example of how this could work, but it would actually make sense with the Wii and Cafe, since the two systems will be very different from each other and have two very different intended audiences.

atomsk said:
F.K. IN THE COFFEE

Isn't that right Zach?

Call me Reggie. That's what everyone calls me.

Krowley

Big One said:
Could someone please fix that image link of the mockup made by that French site? Cause that could easily be our closest clue at what the new controller looks like.

According to 01.net, their source said this mockup is the closest.

34j9o5g.png

could be referring to the overall confirmation, button layout, sliders vs analog sticks, or any number of things.

Well that about confirms the project name. I didn't know that Miyamoto confirmed it as project cafe though, does anyone have a translation of that piece?

Doorman said:
I'm still not convinced that's the best thing for developers or gamers both. That means developers wrestling with new hardware every two to three years as well, unless they continue to support old systems.

What you'd most likely end up with is the same sort of thing that happened this generation. They'd pick one of the "half-gens" to mainly support with the big efforts, leaving the other to wallow largely in shovelware and B-team efforts. Boy then you'd REALLY hate to bet on the wrong horse, because the situation could happen longer than a normal generational split would.

Also a good point, but I think with this will only be the case when there is some drastically new advancement in graphics tech (as there was between GCN and the HD Twins). All indicators show that this will not be the case for PS4/720. Thus, your fears may manifest if one manufacturer stays on the old train a bit too long, but that doesn't necessarily have to be the case. If something new and exciting is just around the corner that company may decide to hold out on releasing their system just a bit longer.

yoopoo said:
Are you kidding...3DS has the friend codes system. Its already a failure.
That doesn't make any sense. The issue was each game having to code online infrastructure and there not being a unified code. There is now a unified code per system, online infrastructure with the system not individual games, and at least a notification system to start. The rest of the system will be judged when it launches.

Is it really that much of an issue to input a 16 digit number versus -=XxX3L1M_3H4DYXxX=-?

Azure J

Krowley said:

34j9o5g.png

could be referring to the overall confirmation, button layout, sliders vs analog sticks, or any number of things.

No matter how many times I see this one knowing it's just a mockup, I can't help but hope it is exactly like this when revealed. I get a "arcade stick meets NES controller" aesthetic vibe from it and it just feels right. :lol

Just the idea that Nintendo confirmed that *something* of the rumors is correct (the name), give the rest of all the rumored stuff a lot more credibility. At least there has to be a real leak instead of conjecture and wishful thinking.

Krowley said:

34j9o5g.png

... What am I looking at?
Why are there gray flowers on it?

pirata

So...when is that conference thingy happening? Oh, and should the OP be updated?

EDIT: Oh, it was updated while I was posting. Thanks, Wario64!

Vinci

Danish
I swear, if it wasn't confirmed that the 'Cafe Advance Support' image is 100% legit, any rumors using that would have been ignored by me in a second. It just looks and sounds so ridiculous. Haha.

AniHawk

Krowley said:

34j9o5g.png

actually doesn't look terrible, but still uncomfortable.

tomorrow: release date window (as part of their forecast)
tuesday: official pre-announcement
e3: blowout extravaganza

sorta expecting pictures of the system/controller on tuesday, just to get people used to it like they did with the wii, so e3 can be all about showing off software without people freaking out.

AniHawk said:
actually doesn't look terrible, but still uncomfortable.

tomorrow: release date window (as part of their forecast)
tuesday: official pre-announcement
e3: blowout extravaganza

sorta expecting pictures of the system/controller on tuesday, just to get people used to it like they did with the wii, so e3 can be all about showing off software without people freaking out.
I really loved how they handled that situation. Such a smart move on their part.

Pocks

So, will we have an OT for the investor conference, or will we keep using this one until something significant is confirmed?

Vinci said:
I swear, if it wasn't confirmed that the 'Cafe Advance Support' image is 100% legit, any rumors using that would have been ignored by me in a second. It just looks and sounds so ridiculous. Haha.

Cafe Advance sounds awesome!

AniHawk said:

I certainly hope so.

But it could very well just end up being an announcement of it's existence and that there's a screen in the controller.

Of course, I would hope that Nintendo knows that this information is already pretty much common knowledge by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom