• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

derFeef

AMD just released the 8K series only for OEMs, and it's almost all the exact same as the 7000 series. OEMs just wanted new model numbers this year.

The actual next architecture change will likely be called the 9000 series, as it will not make sense to have two 8000 series architectures.

So that begs the question: Does this just mean GCN/the 7k series in the Nextbox?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6570/amds-annual-gpu-rebadge-radeon-hd-8000-series-for-oems

God I hate the rebranding that AMD and Nvidia do.

Yes they rebranded it for OEM. But the desktop cards that will come out this year will still be called 8000.

Durante

This reads like a fanboy's dream. 8GB + 8-Core + 640GB HDD? Good luck.
Why?
- 8 Jaguar cores are smaller these days than the 360 CPU when it was released and far less power hungry
- 8 GB of DDR3 cost 35€ - at retail
- The GPU is mid-range from the naming. However, integrated eDRAM should raise costs a bit.
- A 640 GB laptop HDD could in fact be the most expensive single component, at ~50€ at retail right now.

I thought you were coming around to the idea of multiple skinny cores? Or is it just the '8' part thats an issue?
Jaguar is so skinny that I'd have liked 16 :p

Don't get me wrong, 8 isn't that bad. Just ~5x Wii U in terms of CPU GFLOPs though, at 1.6 GHz.

Miles X

They're gonna lose a lot more than $50 unless they charge and arm and leg and sell a shit ton.

Some people here think it's perfectly doable, some like you think it'd cost a fortune. I guess by that nobody has a clue how much it'll cost.

Still, the incurred $2b? loss on 360 before going into profit, (minus RROD $1B) that's without the original Xbox propping up the division.

They'll be able to sustain losses.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jaguar is so skinny that I'd have liked 16 :p

Don't get me wrong, 8 isn't that bad. Just ~5x Wii U in terms of CPU GFLOPs though, at 1.6 GHz.

nah, doesn't matter. It'll only be doing housekeeping anyway, generation will be GPU centric

tipoo

Banned
4 Jaguar CPU modules [8 hardware threads], 8800 GPU ahitecture inside of APU, eSRAM for fast buffer directly in GPU, 8 gig of slow ram for main memory.

Perfectly doable.

Possible, but if that rumor about four way SMT is right then AMD has nothing like that, only IBMs Power7 does.

DieH@rd

Banned
The HD 8800 series is basically a rebranded HD 7800 series... http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMD_Radeon_HD_8870_Feature_Summary.pdf Identical shader numbers and performance, you could tie this up as HD 5770 to HD 6770. Which was a very tiny tweak to an existing die iirc.

The HD 8850 (if it is a rebranded HD 7850) @ 800MHz would be ~1.6TFLOPs.

No, AMD and Vidia often rebrand gpu cards for OEMs.

Desktop variants of 8800 and 8900 series will be new and improved ahitecture, very powerful, and fully HSA compatible. They will be released in Q2.

amar212

Doubt they could hit a 399 launch price with those specs.

Either NextBox or PlayStationX will not launch at that RSP, even for *basic* models. 499 for *basic* retail and even more for *premium*.

Both will subsidise part of price with *fee* pricing for the US, while Eurolands and Nippon will get high basic price at 499 euro/whatever.

Expecting all those candies for peanuts is just not happening.

tipoo

Banned
Yes they rebranded it for OEM. But the desktop cards that will come out this year will still be called 8000.

They're going to call their new architecture by the same name as the rebranded cards with no performance improvements? It doesn't seem likely from a marketing pov, Nvidia did the same thing with the 300 series and just skipped that for the new architecture.

No, AMD and Vidia often rebrand gpu cards for OEMs.

Desktop variants of 8800 and 8900 series will be new and improved ahitecture, very powerful, and fully HSA compatible. They will be released in Q2.

No one knows what it will be called yet.

syko de4d

Are those good or bad at 400$?

would be okay, a pc with this will cost maybe 550-600$ (self build) in one year. Not soo much more expensive but Games are will be much much more optimized for the xbox720

edit: so launch price for 400$ is not that unrealistic. I can build a pc right now with same speccs but with 7870 for 550€ and MS will not pay nearly as much as i must pay for all this components ^^

Durante

Some people here think it's perfectly doable, some like you think it'd cost a fortune. I guess by that nobody has a clue how much it'll cost.
I think some people just read "8 cores" or "8 GB" and think "expensive", without putting it in the proper context. The memory is very likely DDR3, which is dirt cheap. And, for example, a 4-core ARM SoC costs $15, so 2 of those would be $30. It's not that simple, but it's a closer mental model to Jaguar than the i5/i7 behemoths that people think of when they hear "CPU cores".

We are not going to see some crazily powerful CPU (ala CELL) this time aren't we? So far all rumors are pointing out to some disappointing stuff, we will be lucky if we got something in the range of the 2500k at this rate.

Eideka

Banned
I think some people just read "8 cores" or "8 GB" and think "expensive", without putting it in the proper context. The memory is very likely DDR3, which is dirt cheap. And, for example, a 4-core ARM SoC costs $15, so 2 of those would be $30. It's not that simple, but it's a closer mental model to Jaguar than the i5/i7 behemoths that people think of when they hear "CPU cores".

Would this processor rival a 2600K or a 3770K ?
How does it fare in comparison ?

Recall

Can someone clarify that devkit specs are generally different to the final retail product? I remember that being the way with the Dreamcast but I'm not 100% sure.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
We are not going to see some crazily powerful CPU (ala CELL) this time aren't we? So far all rumors are pointing out to some disappointing stuff, we will be lucky if we got something in the range of the 2500k at this rate.

there was never any chance of getting something in the range of a 2500k.

KKRT00

No, off-shelf stuff only.

BlackJace

Can someone clarify that devkit specs are generally different to the final retail product? I remember that being the way with the Dreamcast but I'm not 100% sure.

Devkits are generally beefier than the retail products yes. For example, devkits normally possess twice as much RAM as in the retail product.

Comandr

I sort of believe the "Xbox 8" naming rumours, if this is true.

8 cores
8 gigs RAM
8800 GPU
Talks to Windows 8
Etc

Falls in line with the old speculation about the name being Xbox Infinite and/or Loop. It's not a loop or a symbol. It's a fucking 8. *mindblown.png*

Also: $800. Wouldn't want to get inconsistent with the last number!

In all seriousness, depending on the speed, I could see this thing going for $499-599 and MS still taking a loss on it. Both the 8850 and 8870 are in the $200-300 range retail, and neither of them are even out yet. I'm totally down for bleeding edge technology, and it clearly worked for MS before with the Xbox 360.

As it stands, these specs will put it in the same ballpark as high end PCs of today, which is where next gen consoles are believed to hover, power-wise.

Love it or hate it, the 360 is a great entertainment hub; ads aside. There is a ton of content, and new stuff is being added pretty frequently. I certainly don't like having to pay to access features that I can plug into for free on a PC, such as Hulu or YouTube. I think MS would have an easier time justifying a higher priced console if they could alleviate some of the psychological strain from having to pay a ridiculous monthly fee to access free content that you can get virtually anywhere else. XBL Gold should be more in line with PS+. It's fucking 2013. I shouldn't have to pay 8 dollars a month to play games online with my friends.

The tremendous downside to the 360 being used as a media hub, is that MS keeps shoehorning in new features and content into a console that is now going on 8 yea..(I SEE WHAT U DID THAR MS. YOU MADE ME SAY 8 AGAIN. SUBLIMINAL.) ...going on 8 years old, and its definitely showing. Virtually any action you take on the console's interface there is a pause, and Netflix/Hulu are a nightmare to navigate. Not as bad as Wii U, but for entirely different reasons.

That being said, an abundance of ram, a preposterously powerful new video card, and strong processor will ensure that MS integrates the next generation Xbox firmly into the living room with fluid, seamless design and execution.

Now give us our token next gen Gears and Halo games, and then let them die with some dignity, because when this console gets its feet wet, I want to see some new IPs with new ideas.

Don't see what people are getting excited about. 8 cores @ 1.6Ghz sounds like a travesty to me. Will be crushed by iPhone7/ SGalaxy5 the way mobile cpus are developing.

BlackJace

DerZuhälter;46192914 said:
Don't see what people are getting excited about. 8 cores @ 1.6Ghz sounds like a travesty to me. Will be crushed by iPhone7/ SGalaxy5 the way mobile cpus are developing.

Clock. Speeds. Don't. Mean. Shit.

Omikaru

I'm really curious about how modern PCs stack up against this. Need to start planning my upgrades soon, and I of course want to be playing console ports on it for some years to come.

KKRT00

If it's 8 Jaguar cores, not even close. In terms of Intel CPUs, it would be closer to an 8-core Core duo or something like that, had it existed.

Still, its nice thats 8 core design, because from tech standpoint it matters so much. We will finally have properly written games that uses standard multi core cpu and gpgpu to its limit, so it will scale amazingly with anything in PC space, especially with smth like it 2600k, that has 8 threads, but its so much faster :)

Clock. Speeds. Don't. Mean. Shit.

Yes, they do when You are comparing them to Sandy Bridge or even Phenoms.

tipoo

Banned

Very often. The first 360 dev kits had x800 (not x1800) cards in them, then through various revisions they eventually got the chip the 360 has. The Wii U dev kit was changing right up until a few months from launch.

FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE US DOLLARS

xbox360.jpg

We all know it is coming...

Foffy

Banned
Outside of the amount of cores the CPU has and what that could do potentially, is it bad I think the rest of the specs seem very underwhelming? I think my PC outclasses it visually already..

Falls in line with the old speculation about the name being Xbox Infinite and/or Loop. It's not a loop or a symbol. It's a fucking 8. *mindblown.png*

Also: $800. Wouldn't want to get inconsistent with the last number!

In all seriousness, depending on the speed, I could see this thing going for $499-599 and MS still taking a loss on it. Both the 8850 and 8870 are in the $200-300 range retail, and neither of them are even out yet. I'm totally down for bleeding edge technology, and it clearly worked for MS before with the Xbox 360.

As it stands, these specs will put it in the same ballpark as high end PCs of today, which is where next gen consoles are believed to hover, power-wise.

Love it or hate it, the 360 is a great entertainment hub; ads aside. There is a ton of content, and new stuff is being added pretty frequently. I certainly don't like having to pay to access features that I can plug into for free on a PC, such as Hulu or YouTube. I think MS would have an easier time justifying a higher priced console if they could alleviate some of the psychological strain from having to pay a ridiculous monthly fee to access free content that you can get virtually anywhere else. XBL Gold should be more in line with PS+. It's fucking 2013. I shouldn't have to pay 8 dollars a month to play games online with my friends.

The tremendous downside to the 360 being used as a media hub, is that MS keeps shoehorning in new features and content into a console that is now going on 8 yea..(I SEE WHAT U DID THAR MS. YOU MADE ME SAY 8 AGAIN. SUBLIMINAL.) ...going on 8 years old, and its definitely showing. Virtually any action you take on the console's interface there is a pause, and Netflix/Hulu are a nightmare to navigate. Not as bad as Wii U, but for entirely different reasons.

That being said, an abundance of ram, a preposterously powerful new video card, and strong processor will ensure that MS integrates the next generation Xbox firmly into the living room with fluid, seamless design and execution.

Now give us our token next gen Gears and Halo games, and then let them die with some dignity, because when this console gets its feet wet, I want to see some new IPs with new ideas.

No. Not in raw power. Of course it'll deal with optimizations of being a closed system, but the way you word it?

No.

DieH@rd

Banned

You could not be further away from the reality. Well you could, but lets not go there.

Wasn't this going to have some sort of dual gpu or something?

Long time ago maybe, when MS considered IBM designs. They are not focusing on a single big APU that has small Jaguar modules and large 8800 series GPU that is fully HSA compatible [automatic sharing of workload between cpu and gpu, code can be executed everywhere].

All the rumors suggest that the GPU is going to be heavily customized, I doubt it'll be an off-the-shelf 88xx series card. Guaranteed it's not.

Does the 1/2 ram thing from devkit to retail still apply here? so 8gb would be 4gb for retail?

Windows 8 kernel too? o_O

I honestly couldn't have asked for better. This is all I've wanted from next-gen. This is what it's supposed to be, a full leap where you're getting the best bang for you buck and it also basically confirms 1080p games.

I'm praying Sony follows suit with another monster of a system. Imagine their first party offerings on these specs. Their current gen games (God of War 3, Uncharted 3, Killzone 2) with just a simple IQ boost would look incredible (meaning higher res, AA, AF). Now imagine them built for these specs with all the next-gen bells & whistles, crazy.

tipoo

Banned

Err, no. ARM cores are just now surpassing ATOM, and high end x86 chips are still literally magnitudes faster. Maybe in sunspider and other specific tests they come within a few times away from the performance but the cores are much narrower and less branch happy, which matters for well optimized games. And that's not even mentioning that this chip would have 2-4x as many cores to work with.

Top Bottom