• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

There seems to be something more too it, but I'm not willing to vouch for it either way.

And it's not really called a blitter, but is something akin to one, supposedly

I only started reading about blitter after the post in B3D about feasible custom hardware for Durango.

Anyone think they will update the audio capabilities of the next console?

Being able to do 7.1 or 7.2 would be great (for me) but I imagine those with that setup maybe a little small.

The ability to do uncompressed PCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio would be really good.

As far as I know, the PS3 already supports 7.1 (probably because of Blu-ray etc.), so I guess both next gen consoles will support this too. And I believe 7.2 depends on your receiver, there are probably no dedicated 7.2 audio tracks (with different low frequency channels) on films/games, the receiver just uses both subwoofers for the low frequency part. I guess both consoles will be able to technically support Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio (maybe not decoding but forwarding to a receiver), but it probably depends on the game developer to include support for this in their games.

Games will probably just do uncompressed PCM for 7.1 over HDMI. It doesn't make a lot of sense to compress your real time audio to TrueHD or DTS-HD when any receiver that supports those will also support linear PCM. I think the real question is whether either Durango or Orbis will continue to support optical audio for DD or DTS, or if they'll drop it like Nintendo did for WiiU.

You are expecting teraflops of double precision from consoles? No wonder you have headaches.

Especially since double precision is largely pointless for gaming needs. For a console it'd even be reasonable to cut DP performance if it could hold down costs a little.

Xun

I'm looking forward to seeing what 1313 will look like with the non-placeholder character models. It blows away what I thought UE3 could do and looks better than Samaritan.
Agreed.

Samaritan looks like a game, whereas 1313 looks more like a film.

If those visuals are close to what we'll see at launch, count me interested.

Anybody? I was going to post a thread about some stuff but if he's a confirmed know-nothing then I won't.

Post it here first. Quite a lot of people know some stuff that they are backing as fact, so if misterx is bullshitting, it should be pretty plausible.

EDIT: Here's some stuff he said yesterday which makes no shit sense:

"Xbox next... Is like -three computers in one console... The console has 8gig of ram. But 6 gig is ddr4 system ram.. The other 3gig is gddr5. This is not including cach or edram. The system soc is a 8850 spec gpu with 4 core cpu."

None of this is true.

scently

Anybody? I was going to post a thread about some stuff but if he's a confirmed know-nothing then I won't.

Well what did he say exactly? I would assume that if you post what he's told you in this thread then those in the know can validate it, if not then you would know.

Post it here first. Quite a lot of people know some stuff that they are backing as fact, so if misterx is bullshitting, it should be pretty plausible.

EDIT: Here's some stuff he said yesterday which makes no shit sense:

"Xbox next... Is like -three computers in one console... The console has 8gig of ram. But 6 gig is ddr4 system ram.. The other 3gig is gddr5. This is not including cach or edram. The system soc is a 8850 spec gpu with 4 core cpu."

None of this is true.

Well what did he say exactly? I would assume that if you post what he's told you in this thread then those in the know can validate it, if not then you would know.

What do you guys think of this?

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1769813/nextgen_xbox_720_will_be_more_powerful_than_ps4_report.html

DieH@rd

Banned

Yep. That's what I was referring to. The original source states:

"Xbox next... Is like -three computers in one console...The console has 8gig of ram. But 6 gig is ddr4 system ram.. The other 3gig is gddr5. This is not including cach or edram. The system soc is a 8850 spec gpu with 4 core cpu."

This is wrong. When this is wrong, everything else should be taken as "rumor" and not fact.

WHAT

I thought this was based on a 8800 ?

I was just going to say this. I could've sworn it was 8800 series, unless 8800 is just an renamed 8770.

I find this interesting:

"PlayStation 4 has been previously rumoured to be built on AMD’s A10 APU, but VG247 has today been told the final machine will include both the APU and a second, discrete GPU." Was this ever confirmed elsewhere?

They are just talking about our rumors that circulated here on gaf...
1.23TF durango gpu vs 1.84orbis gpu

"If true, these numbers mean PlayStation 4 will have a 33% raw, computational power advantage over Xbox 720."

:D

Lol the TF is the new bits. Good to see "journalists" pretend they have technical knowledge.

3GB for the OS MS? Overkill.

Depends on what the OS does. The bigger the OS, the more stuff will be included.

Reiko

Banned
Gemüsepizza;46549321 said:
3 GB RAM reserved for OS and apps. LOL if true.

Edit: And 1 GB of Orbis' 4 GB... not sure if those numbers are believable...

Suddenly Microsoft bloats the OS and Sony just leaves 1GB to the OS...

lol

Yep. That's what I was referring to. The original source states:

"Xbox next... Is like -three computers in one console...The console has 8gig of ram. But 6 gig is ddr4 system ram.. The other 3gig is gddr5. This is not including cach or edram. The system soc is a 8850 spec gpu with 4 core cpu."

This is wrong. When this is wrong, everything else should be taken as "rumor" and not fact.

LOL. 6+3 = 8?

FrankT

Nowgamer out in left field, but I suspect VG closer to the mark when all said and done. I would say advantage PS4 at this point but ya never how these things will play out.

pestul

If it's an 8GB system, I hope MS reserves at least 2-3GB for the OS. The responsiveness and potential 'instant' features will be awesome.

They are just talking about our rumors that circulated here on gaf...
1.23TF durango gpu vs 1.84orbis gpu

"If true, these numbers mean PlayStation 4 will have a 33% raw, computational power advantage over Xbox 720."

:D As if only those numbers will determine power of those consoles.... Ccccc....

They're clearly just summarizing the speculation threads here and at B3D. They also fail at math, since it would actually be a 50% computation advantage.

They're clearly just summarizing the speculation threads here and at B3D. They also fail at math, since it would actually be a 50% computation advantage.

This and next xbox has some special hardware who knows how much that can free up computation the ps4 gpu has to do in its compute units.
Then we need to know bandwidths between all the difference hardware components.

You need a complete spec sheet to compare the theoretical power each can perform.

Acheteedo

This and next xbox has some special hardware who knows how much that can free up computation the ps4 gpu has to do in its compute units.
Then we need to know bandwidths between all the difference hardware components.

Do we actually know this or was it people assuming that this is the case due to some of the low-ish speeds/bandwidths?

Tier 1: Iherre, Bkilian, Aegies... in the industry and a safe bet.

Tier 2: Karak has a source, Sweetvar26 has/had a source.

Everyone else is suspect until proven otherwise, "wink wink nudge nudge" doesn't count as proof.

I agree with this. Lherre is legit but he hasn't given out any good info so I basically disregard his posts. The other two are great.

Karak, I honestly think might be a bs'er. Been on the Internet for 20 years and my BS detector has reached god-tier status. I doubt he's legit, just throwing that out there.

Edit- Thuway definitely knows nothing, he's the bgassassin type that reads forum posts at other sites.

Oban was the codename for AMD's chip for the nextbox a while ago. Hmm.
Charlie at SemiAccurate released that information. Since his article that Oban taped out Dec 2011, we now know the AMD-Microsoft project name is Kryptos and the PS4 project name is Thebes. AMD is using Greek names from Mythology for their GPU family and Console project names.

Oban is not a Greek name, it's either a city in the UK with a Scotch also named Oban from that region or a Large blank Japanese gold coin with bumps. Oban probably describes the interposer that both Kryptos and Thebe will use. Further Kryptos is hidden in Greek and likely Thebe is the custom APU part that contains hardware that both will use. Kryptos besides containing Thebe also has features to support serving Media (DVR & more) to handhelds. In this speculation a second GPU for both is likely either discrete or also on the same transposer sharing the same memory. Microsoft trading a few CUs of die area on the GPU for the extra circuits to support serving Handhelds.

The above is speculation but it explains a number of issues that have been raised since Charlie's first article.

I think both are targeting a console with as low a price as possible < $399 (less than) including depth camera. Both will have Skype and both will have a common standard for gesture controls. For developers and brokered by AMD, both will have APIs that are very similar.

For the Xbox 3 rumors have 12 CUs for the second GPU to the PS4's 16 CUs so Xbox 3 will have total 14 CUs to PS4's 18 CUs.

Top Bottom