• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Xbox Live Spring Update List

pswii60 said:
Yeah, don't we get one (or more) of these 'leaks' before every update, and then it turns out to be bullshit? Yes, yes we do.

But if this particular leak isn't true, then I feel particularly sorry for the very sad individual who invented and typed all that bullshit. Why the hell would you do that? Some weird individuals out there.

I think we should just assume this is a product of SDF.com until proven otherwise. They certainly have the time and twisted motivation for it.

I must admit, I've been hoping for an update to the Media Centre Extender (more codecs plz), and a better mix of audio/video codec support (who only wants 2 channel audio with MOVs???) but overall, if true, this will be a great update.

a.wd

Monkeylord said:
I must admit, I've been hoping for an update to the Media Centre Extender (more codecs plz), and a better mix of audio/video codec support (who only wants 2 channel audio with MOVs???).

came in to say this, but the other features sound pretty cool, now ms add more BC (otogi says hi), and if I can transfer files then let me attach them to messages. please.

R0nn

No way this list is true. Way too much stuff on there and it lists almost every single thing a 360 owner could wish for (except for 16:10 support).

There's way too much stuff in this list. I'm calling at least partial BS on this list.

Oh, and I'm sorry for you monitor users, but 16:10 is never going to happen. Not until next gen, anyway. It's not not as easy as flipping a switch or throwing up another resolution to pick from. Most games are rendered at 720p and scaled to the other res. If you did this with 16:10 then it would just look stretched like it does when your monitor does it now. What's the point?

Sony doesn't support it either, right?

pswii60

Icarus said:
So basically this confirms (in rumored form) a motion controller AND HDD installs a la PS3.

Cool.
How can something be confirmed in rumored form? It's either confirmed. Or a rumour. This is a rumour. List could easily be fake.

GhaleonEB

m0dus said:
In wouldn't say it's BAD, per se. It's like getting your icecream without the cherry on top, but hardly 'bad' :)

I have my doubts as to the validity of said list, of course.
Yeah, poor choice of words. I should have said "disappointing". It's 4x better than it is now, but I was hoping for at least eight. As I said, in-game lobbies support up to 16, so I assume that same functionality can be used in the Dashboard.

But it's a rumor. Let's see how it pans out. The hitrate on these is low.

Leonsito

Where is the option to delete Yaris from HDD, Gamertag and my mind? I don't want those fucking 5 points in my profile anymore :(

pr0cs

38. Support for headset, Xbox LIVE Vision in Windows Live Messenger.

I hope this is what I think it is. I hope this means that video conversations can now be held with people on PCs, not just text messages to MSN users on PCs.

If so I'll be buying a live vision camera day one of the patch release.

Rorschach

33. Disable notifications to friends of user repeatedly signing into service (set period).
I always hated signing in after multiple disconnects or game updates because I felt I was bugging the fuck out of the people on my friends list. :lol

acm2000

Spider_Jerusalem said:
well, if this will reveal true, obviously they'd be optional. How can you install something on an Arcade console?

the secret 100GB SSD inside EVERY 360, ever wondered what ANA REALLY is? :p, or, telling arcade owners to go f**k themselves :lol

mollipen

Kobold said:
Some thing are nice-ish, but who cares what's on your gamercard or not?

Because (a) I don't want crap I don't own on my list, and (b) if this listing were to be correct, you could turn off getting game invites for games you don't own. It's annoying to have to continually tell people on your friend's list that you don't own a particular game after getting an invite.

gcubed

Princess Skittles said:
Oddly enough, a .05 update for the PS3 that adds one feature gets a thirty page thread here.

considering this is a "rumored" list, what are you whining about again?

pr0cs said:
38. Support for headset, Xbox LIVE Vision in Windows Live Messenger.

I hope this is what I think it is. I hope this means that video conversations can now be held with people on PCs, not just text messages to MSN users on PCs.

If so I'll be buying a live vision camera day one of the patch release.

Well, I'm glad I hung onto my camera. This feature would rock.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The more I read the list, the more it looks like it's accurate.

We've been asking for a DRM "fix" for quite some time, and having the Xbox automatically guide through re-issuing a new license to all our content is very good.

Things like "disable game invites to friends only or blocked" are things the Bungie folks have been asking for (you'd know if you listen to the podcast that had Major Nelson guest-star and he said "we've requested that to the Xbox team") and things like different effects for Achievements are what Major talked about on that Bungie podcast when he said he'd requested different things around Achievements.

And the 4 person group-chat goes right with e's recent comments of saying "we just finished implementing a feature that people have been asking for like ever and it'll come this summer."

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
11. Option to remove payment information from gamertag.
mega-fucking-ton

ugghhh... I've had my cc info on my buddies 360 for over a year now as in a drunken rage I downloaded MCR pack for GH2 just to play them. I showed him!!! ugghh...

you hear that camel...? No more using my cc to buy idolmaster content@!!!!!

Pimpbaa

Dr. Zoidberg said:
There's way too much stuff in this list. I'm calling at least partial BS on this list.

Oh, and I'm sorry for you monitor users, but 16:10 is never going to happen. Not until next gen, anyway. It's not not as easy as flipping a switch or throwing up another resolution to pick from. Most games are rendered at 720p and scaled to the other res. If you did this with 16:10 then it would just look stretched like it does when your monitor does it now. What's the point?

Sony doesn't support it either, right?

The point is the 360's scaler is a hell of a lot better than the scaler in most monitors. Most people with widescreen monitors use 1280x768. Which leads to a lot of scaling done by the monitor.

Pimpbaa said:
The point is the 360's scaler is a hell of a lot better than the scaler in most monitors. Most people with widescreen monitors use 1280x768. Which leads to a lot of scaling done by the monitor.

Well, you're probably right that the 360's scaler is better than the one in the monitor. I feel sorry for the monitor folks but I just don't see it ever happening. Some folks want black bars that "fix" the stretching, but this is something that would probably have to be coded into the games themselves. Even if they added it, it'd only be available on new games and older ones that were patched for it. Since the VGA support is already a niche "bonus" feature of the 360 I just can't see them going to the trouble.

I just see the same people pine after 16:10 with every update and I know they are just going to be pissed-off/disappointed when it doesn't show up. I honestly believe if it were easily possible it'd be in there by now.

If this list is fake (and I pity the person who would fake this, but it has happened before), then I hope Microsoft takes note. This should be the Spring Update.

DuckRacer

Here's what makes me really curious:
4. Copy non-protected files (pictures, music, videos) from USB storage devices, CDs and computers to proprietary storage devices.
Aren't the USB inputs read-only? Would a firmware update be able to essentially "flash" the inputs to make then r/w capable? And if so, what would that mean for, say, a Driving Force Pro?

X26

Banned
No new video formats supported, too bad, but everything else is great save for the complete lack of authenticity

besiktas1

1. Option to delay sign-in to Xbox LIVE upon booting console (to allow user to set Online Status).

5. Introduce a group chat (4) for Private Chat and conferences through Video Chat.

30. Option to donate Microsoft Points to anybody with a Windows Live ID.

32. Integrate file-sharing for selected titles on Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows - LIVE.

Games
11. Support for titles to store installation data on Storage Device for faster loading.
12. Synchronization to achievements offline/online that were deleted and then re-added from developers.

Media
1. Option to hold LT and RT for rewinding/fast-forwarding video content.

4. Copy non-protected files (pictures, music, videos) from USB storage devices, CDs and computers to proprietary storage devices.

6. Section added for audio delivered through feeds (podcasts). Option to stream, download to Storage Device.

Dashboard/Miscellaneous
6. Calibration options for motion sensor devices.
11. Option to see what items will not work offline due to DRM license changing from Memory.
12. Option to automatically associate new DRM to items downloaded for free.
13. Indicate 'charging' status on guide when Play & Charge kit is connected.
14. Option to change text colors on guide to better contrast some backgrounds.

Yay to these!

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Duck said:

Aren't the USB inputs read-only? Would a firmware update be able to essentially "flash" the inputs to make then r/w capable? And if so, what would that mean for, say, a Driving Force Pro?
I highly doubt that the USB ports were somehow specially-designed and manufactured to limit them to read-only functionality. I've never heard of such an animal.

It's far more likely that USB port traffic control is simply handled by the firmware. In fact, Googling "read only USB ports" seems to yield questions and topics regarding changing USB access control via registry, BIOS (ie firmware) or third-party software.

jmoe316

Duck said:

anachronous_one said:
I highly doubt that the USB ports were somehow specially-designed and manufactured to limit them to read-only functionality. I've never heard of such an animal.

It's far more likely that USB port traffic control is simply handled by the firmware. In fact, Googling "read only USB ports" seems to yield questions and topics regarding changing USB access control via registry, BIOS (ie firmware) or third-party software.

Yeah. All this means is that you will now be able to copy files from a USB drive to the hard drive, which is great news. Those that are unable to stream music/video from the PC's will now be able to copy thousands of MP3's to a USB drive and then copy them over onto their xbox 360 HDD without having to rip 20-song cd's for hours.

scarybore

Duck said:

Unless I'm missing something, its still only reading from the USB ports but writing to the 360's HHD or (I assume) memory card, both of which don't use the USB ports so I don't see a problem there.

Yeah. All this means is that you will now be able to copy files from a USB drive to the hard drive, which is great news. Those that are unable to stream music/video from the PC's will now be able to copy thousands of MP3's to a USB drive and then copy them over onto their xbox 360 HDD without having to rip 20-song cd's for hours.

Bingo, but to be honest you are probably better off buying a external HHD and using that than copying over to the 360's HHD.

Sounds like a good list (a bit too good to be true) but if it's accurate I hope the install to hard drive option is only used in certain situations where it would otherwise impact on the experience as the current cache system should be enough for most games. For instance, having to disc swap with a future GTA game would be awful and a seperate install disc would be much better option in that case.

Top Bottom