• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumors about the Wii (from 2ch)

Haunted

dark10x said:
I'm guilty of this...

Someone GAVE me a free copy of the game over a year ago and I haven't even booted it up yet. Honestly, I just don't like SRPGs all that much and completely forgot about it as a result...
I hate you. :(

Unison

dark10x said:
This gen, I don't think we will see such things happen. A Wii game would require a COMPLETE face lift if it were to be released on XBOX360 or PS3. They could not simply port it with a few additions, they would have to literally remake it. Wii -> 360/PS3 ports are likely to be extremely rare as a result (as they should be).

Well, we have Rayman Raving Rabbids...

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
This gen, I don't think we will see such things happen. A Wii game would require a COMPLETE face lift if it were to be released on XBOX360 or PS3. They could not simply port it with a few additions, they would have to literally remake it. Wii -> 360/PS3 ports are likely to be extremely rare as a result (as they should be).

Yeah, a Wii -> PS3/360 port is very unlikely. Although, it would not shock me one bit if KHIII is on Wii. Since Sony is so oblivious these days. I, of course, would loathe that option.. as I stated way before I heard this rumour so nobody can claim bias, even KHII hurts my eyes by the end so I was eager to see a next-gen upgrade. This series has always been about the amazing graphics for the system, so it'd suck to see no movement on the next installment.

farnham

Banned
Kevar said:
Path of Radiance is one of the best games on the Gamecube, so if it's just PoR + bonus content, I'll probably buy it anyway. But I'd be disappointed. Full sequel plz.

nonono.. its not PoR + bonus content..

its PoR+ Full sequel

big_z

I don't care about KH but i hope squarenix gives the wii more support.... and not just spin off series.

Is there a list of all currently known wii rpgs? I remember seeing one a while back but can't find it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Unison said:
Well, we have Rayman Raving Rabbids...
I doubt the results will be worth anything, though. Ubi is one of the companies that will likely port around as much as they can, however. That's just what they do (regardless of the quality).

Haunted

Amir0x said:
Yeah, a Wii -> PS3/360 port is very unlikely. Although, it would not shock me one bit if KHIII is on Wii. Since Sony is so oblivious these days. I, of course, would loathe that option.. as I stated way before I heard this rumour so nobody can claim bias, even KHII hurts my eyes by the end. This series has always been about the amazing graphics for the system, so it'd suck to see no movement on the next installment.
It could be multi-platform like COD/NFS though (scratching 360). Toned-down graphics and effects, added Wiimote control for the Wii, while the content stays the same. Just because KH was exclusive until now doesn't mean it has to be forever. + that would make the rumour more likely since it wouldn't totally fall out of Sony's hands.

Unison

dark10x said:
I doubt the results will be worth anything, though. Ubi is one of the companies that will likely port around as much as they can, however. That's just what they do (regardless of the quality).

The point is that a Wii game would not require as you said "a COMPLETE face lift if it were to be released on XBOX360 or PS3".

CaVaYeRo

mmm
- From Software is developing a Kingsfieldesque 1 person action RPG on Wii
I think it's made up because...
From Soft's Atsushi Taniguchi promised the announcement of a DS title would be forthcoming. The game is a new installment of an existing franchise and will feature multiplayer support.

or maybe BECAUSE of that they are making a Wii version to...

Anyway, have they ever been accurate with the rumors? Does anyone know past rumors from 2ch?

Amir0x

Banned
Haunted_One said:
It could be multi-platform like COD/NFS though (scratching 360). Toned-down graphics and effects, added Wiimote control for the Wii, while the content stays the same. Just because KH was exclusive until now doesn't mean it has to be forever. + that would make the rumour more likely since it wouldn't totally fall out of Sony's hands.

I highly doubt that. I just think SquareEnix is implementing its holy 'we don't want anyone to have too much of an advantage' statement, shifting franchises that seem a good fit on the platform. KHIII seems like a good fit due to its generally lighthearted family friendly themes... I mean, it is about Disney characters and worlds after all.

dark10x

Unison said:
The point is that a Wii game would not require as you said "a COMPLETE face lift if it were to be released on XBOX360 or PS3".
My point is that any higher profile game would. :)

farnham

Banned
Dragon%20Quest%20VIII%20Series%201%20Figures.jpg

rs-art-1.jpg

+

zelda.jpg

super-mario-galaxy-20060510034923226.jpg

If they make a game like that (not itagaki) ill take it over KH

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
Yeah, a Wii -> PS3/360 port is very unlikely. Although, it would not shock me one bit if KHIII is on Wii. Since Sony is so oblivious these days. I, of course, would loathe that option.. as I stated way before I heard this rumour so nobody can claim bias, even KHII hurts my eyes by the end so I was eager to see a next-gen upgrade. This series has always been about the amazing graphics for the system, so it'd suck to see no movement on the next installment.

KHII already had some pretty beautiful graphics. What really defines Nomura's (KH) games for me though aren't the graphics themselves, but the seizure-inducing fight scenes and flashes of colors and fire and all that jazz.

dillenger said:

People dont get banned for this? I said wow.

Anyway, KH2 looked already very nice on PS2. It would´ve looked better on GCN, and on Wii, it´ll look even better.
And 1:1: control about the keyblade FTW.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wouldn't it make sense to just keep Kingdom Hearts self-contained without new characters, being that it has its own complex (and retarded) storyline and stuff?

Why doesn't Square just create a NEW franchise for Nintendo with all associated crossovers? Then they could have TWO billion selling games instead of one.

give it to TOSE, they make great games

edit: thanks for the enormous pictures, farnham. Nobody was really sure of what a Square enix and Nintendo game would entail.

Unison

Haunted_One said:

That seems like it would be the best scenario to me... I have no clue why Square's big games aren't multiplatform already. I don't really see what companies benefit by doing exclusives next-gen, at least until a clear leader emerges.

Every other Disney game shows up on every platform imaginable... I don't see why Kingdom Hearts should be different.

Cheebs

Am I the only one who doesn't get the "SONY WONT LOSE THIS FRANCHISE!" stuff? Am I the only person who saw DQ's annoucement of leaving Playstation to go to DS or something?

Regardless, I expect a DS KH even if KH3 is on PS3 so the rumor is playing it safe.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
KHII already had some pretty beautiful graphics. What really defines Nomura's (KH) games for me though aren't the graphics themselves, but the seizure-inducing fight scenes and flashes of colors and fire and all that jazz.

They were top caliber on PS2, but as I said even that wore on my eyes by the end. Last gen graphics just have too many image problems. Of course, the reason KH is a guilty pleasure is because for some sick reason I enjoy Disney cameos and it had amazing graphics for the time. That'd wear off a bit if half the equation is gone.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Wouldn't it make sense to just keep Kingdom Hearts self-contained without new characters, being that it has its own complex (and retarded) storyline and stuff?

Why doesn't Square just create a NEW franchise for Nintendo with all associated crossovers? Then they could have TWO billion selling games instead of one.

Who the heck knows. You'd think someone would have brought this idea up at one of the parties they threw where the programme consisted of filling a pool with the cash they made from FFIII (and recently DQMJ) and swimming in it.

Y2Kev

KH2 is one of the cleanest games on PS2. I think it looks nice, but it can obviously look so much better. I really don't like the "good enough" movement. Let me know when Kingdom Hearts looks like the opening music video dealio. THAT was impressive.

dark10x

I don't really see what companies benefit by doing exclusives next-gen, at least until a clear leader emerges.
From the companies perspective, that makes perfect sense. From a gamers perspective, it's a terrible thing to imagine. Multiplatform releases never take advantage of the hardware properly and end up suffering across the board. Unfortunately, exclusive releases really don't work for most companies these days...

Unison

Y2Kevbug11 said:

They already screwed that up by making the GBA one a direct part of the story and not a spinoff...

farnham

Banned
Cheebs said:
Am I the only one who doesn't get the "SONY WONT LOSE THIS FRANCHISE!" stuff? Am I the only person who saw DQ's annoucement of leaving Playstation to go to DS or something?

Regardless, I expect a DS KH even if KH3 is on PS3 so the rumor is playing it safe.

well DQ X is going to be on PS3... because of dismal DQS and DQ IX sales... or so i read..

Y2Kevbug11 said:
KH2 is one of the cleanest games on PS2. I think it looks nice, but it can obviously look so much better. I really don't like the "good enough" movement. Let me know when Kingdom Hearts looks like the opening music video dealio. THAT was impressive.

No, I really, really don't want Donald and Goofy looking like they do in the FMVs.

CaVaYeRo

big_z said:
Is there a list of all currently known wii rpgs? I remember seeing one a while back but can't find it.

Camelot RPG
Devil Summoner**
Final Fantasy CC: Crystal Bearers
Fire Emblem
FROM Software’s Action RPG
Koei’s New RPG
Konami RPG
Legend of the River King
Mana RPG**
Monolith RPG
Namco RPG
Sword of Legendia
Torus RPG**
Yasumi Matsuno Project****

**Expected, based on reports

****Expected to be an RPG Game

http://www.codenamerevolution.com/?p=3276

Amir0x

Banned
Unison said:
They already screwed that up by making the GBA one a direct part of the story and not a spinoff...

With the CoM remake, all of the story will still be on PS2 anyhow :p

CaVaYeRo: Camelot no longer has an RPG in the works for Wii, IIRC

AniHawk

Y2Kevbug11 said:

give it to TOSE, they make great games

edit: thanks for the enormous pictures, farnham. Nobody was really sure of what a Square enix and Nintendo game would entail.

KH is probably best left to Sony anyway. It's a continuing series and the system will have a big fanbase by the time III comes out (and they could/will probably use the Vs. XIII engine for it too).

I just wonder what's going on with all the console stuff now. The PS2 is wrapping up (all they've got left now is Chain of Memories 3D, don't they?), and everyone has one or two games coming to their main console.

Y2Kev

Unison said:

They did not screw it up at all. The storyline of the GBA game fits perfectly into the Kingdom Hearts trilogy and is even summarized and explained in the beginning of KH2.

I'm talking about cohesiveness as far as the "Sora quest" is confirmed. It'd be cute and fun if Mario popped out of Aeris' skirt, but I am not convinced it needs to happen for any other reason than, "OMG WOULDN'T IT BE COOL IF THERE WAS A GAME WITH MARIO AND DRAGON QUEST AND FINAL FANTASY AND LINK AND ZELDA AND AND AND OH MY GOD IT WOULD BE THE BEST GAME EVER AND THERE WOULD BE MOOGLES AND GOOFY AND SORA AND OH MY GOD MY INHALER"

Xellotah

dark10x said:
From the companies perspective, that makes perfect sense. From a gamers perspective, it's a terrible thing to imagine. Multiplatform releases never take advantage of the hardware properly and end up suffering across the board. Unfortunately, exclusive releases really don't work for most companies these days...

Luckily for us, most of the Japanese developers (barring a few franchise games like sonic) haven't taken this route yet.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:
I highly doubt that. I just think SquareEnix is implementing its holy 'we don't want anyone to have too much of an advantage' statement, shifting franchises that seem a good fit on the platform. KHIII seems like a good fit due to its generally lighthearted family friendly themes... I mean, it is about Disney characters and worlds after all.
Did you play KHII? More like emo themes.

Amir0x

Banned
jj984jj said:
Did you play KHII? More like emo themes.

Yes, I played it. It's a game about ****ing finding the light in your heart and shit, and defeating the darkness. Family friendly as it gets, emo presentation or not

Pureauthor said:

That fixed doesn't make any sense!

dark10x

Xellotah said:
Luckily for us, most of the Japanese developers (barring a few franchise games like sonic) haven't taken this route yet.
Yes, but if PS3 and XBOX360 both fail in Japan, they'll just keep using their old engines on the Wii. :\

Y2Kev

Amir0x said:
Yes, I played it. It's a game about ****ing finding the light in your heart and shit, and defeating the darkness. Family friendly as it gets, emo presentation or not

Riku embraces darkness, and Sora is totally tapping Kairi. Plus, Goofy and Donald run a methadone clinic upon completion of the game, and the Tron level is about slavery. Oh, and the Atlantica level is a reinvisioning of purgatory.

M rating indeed.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I recently bought Fire Emblem for 20 euros at a Mediamarkt. First Fire Emblem game I've played and damn challenging too. I'm only at chapter 12 or something though, as TP is currently keeping me more than occupied.

Amir0x said:

Wait, I thought it was more about how darkness and light are intertwined and neither are necessarily evil or something? I'm not too sure on this, because during the last hour or so, I fell asleep with my nose on the 'X' button and woke up to find I had won the game.

That fixed doesn't make any sense!

That's because you lack discipline.

CaVaYeRo

Amir0x said:
With the CoM remake, all of the story will still be on PS2 anyhow :p

CaVaYeRo: Camelot no longer has an RPG in the works for Wii, IIRC

well, I think the same, but CNR guys keep the game saying that

When Camelot made the announcement we all thought it was over for Nintendo support, but the fact is Camelot reassured fans later on that they weren’t canceling whatever projects that had although they are working on PC development. So Camelot RPG is still happening at least from what we all know. IGN for example hasn’t taken the game down from the site for a reason.

...which could be logical, I guess

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Wait, I thought it was more about how darkness and light are intertwined and neither are necessarily evil or something? I'm not too sure on this, because during the last hour or so, I fell asleep with my nose on the 'X' button and woke up to find I had won the game.

the nobodies are neither light nor dark! They are the nebulous GREY in your heart!

sp0rsk said:
After DQ9, anything is possible.
Indeed
Square used to love Nintendo and only jumped ship because of problems.
If Iwata has healed wounds and S-E can get a DS/Wii crossover KHIII games i'd say its entirely possible.
Square jumped from Nintendo to Sony why couldn't they jump back?

Ikael

I think that the KH series would be better headed to a Nintendo console. Last time Squarenix took Nintendo characters and RPGized them Super Mario RPG was born. For me the possiblity of a "Super Mario RPG-2" with real time combat and disney characters is more appealing than a sequel of KH with better grahics.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
people play KH for their storylines? I mean the storyline in KH is so hilariously bad I played them for the cool disney fanservice because even the gameplay isnt anything special.

Y2Kev

Error2k4 said:
people play KH for their storylines? I mean the storyline in KH is so hilariously bad I played them for the cool disney fanservice because even the gameplay isnt anything special.

It's incredibly ridiculous at this point. I can't make heads or tales of what the **** is going on. I read Wikipedia after playing the game. :\

AniHawk

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Riku embraces darkness, and Sora is totally tapping Kairi. Plus, Goofy and Donald run a methadone clinic upon completion of the game, and the Tron level is about slavery. Oh, and the Atlantica level is a reinvisioning of purgatory.

M rating indeed.

Don't forget Mickey's rampage after the death of Goofy.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Error2k4 said:
That's true, I still haven't finished the first game but trudged through the second because of the nostalgia.

threeball

Banned
GeoramA said:
Hope so. I want next-gen KH.

there are few games I hate more than Kingdom Hearts, but Kingdom Hearts is not the game that needs to have a "next-gen" experience. Graphics/visuals/audio/etc. isn't the main point of the Kingdom Hearts series

Error2k4 said:

See, Amir0x, this was what my 'fixed' was about.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ikael said:
I think that the KH series would be better headed to a Nintendo console. Last time Squarenix took Nintendo characters and RPGized them Super Mario RPG was born. For me the possiblity of a "Super Mario RPG-2" with real time combat and disney characters is more appealing than a sequel of KH with better grahics.

Dear Square,

Leave Mario RPG to Intsys.

Thank you.

Top Bottom