• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumour) AMD R290x (9970) benchmarks leak - faster than Nvidia Titan

Skeff

Biggest news is 512bit bus IMO, nice. Hopefully GPU's will move up to the 512 bit bus as we've had a bit of stagnation on this front.

Hurf

Neo Member
If this is legit it just made my decisions for a new build next spring a great deal more difficult.

I've been sticking with AMD for years now but the trend of games using PhysX support for nvidia cards while no equivalent function is available on AMD has been pushing me towards the nvidia camp.

Isn't the main reason why Company of Heroes 2 is running slow on these benches because they have SSAA on?
Witcher 2 also has an SSAA option (dubbed 'ubersampling') which also ate up the frames.
SSAA is just too hungry as an AA solution, isn't that why most people just downsample?

Coldsun

Banned
Given that the Titan / 780 are at stock, don't they have more room to overclock and fare better against that new card?

While the Titan and 780 most certainly can be OCed to a degree, whos to say this new card can't also be OCed? So no, its not safe to assume these older cards might fare better against this new card.

Gamerloid

Now we just play the waiting game to see if this is real or not. If real, I'm interested since this will make Nvidia step it up and vice versa.

tarheel91

While the Titan and 780 most certainly can be OCed to a degree, whos to say this new card can't also be OCed? So no, its not safe to assume these older cards might fare better against this new card.

Yep, 79xx cards overclock eagerly. I don't see why these would be any different.

inherendo

What I'm trying to get at / ask is if a Titan / 780 has more room to overclock because it starts out at ~850 MHz, compared to the AMD card's ~1000 MHz.

If there is room for a gpu temp wise, you can overclock as much as you want given voltage isn't going to fry the chip.

You can't compare clocks between the titan and AMD's GCN cards in that way.

Oh man, looking forward to the 25th. If this is priced at £400-500... I am so in. Hopefully they'll come out with a 6GB version. Though it may be overkill I'd like the peace of mind that comes with memory overkill.

Cidd

Just look at this.

Max_1920.png

This game is a fucking monster. :lol

Or poorly optimized..

hemtae

Oh man, looking forward to the 25th. If this is priced at £400-500... I am so in. Hopefully they'll come out with a 6GB version. Though it may be overkill I'd like the peace of mind that comes with memory overkill.

If it has a 512 bit bus, wouldn't it be 4GB/8GB

kortez320

I'd buy one of these day one if it's true (and so is the price point). I'd even deal with AMD's godawful drivers for a card like this.

But I have a hard time believing it.

It also shows you how much perspective has changed when becoming the performance king nearly six months after your competitor launched is considered slapping them around.

Guess it's been awhile since AMD has held the title.

x3sphere

Looking forward to incoming Titan price drop if true.

I highly doubt you'll see a price drop on Titan. Possibly the 780, depending what AMD prices this card at. It'd have to be around $500-550 to make Nvidia budge, most likely.

What I'm trying to get at / ask is if a Titan / 780 has more room to overclock because it starts out at ~850 MHz, compared to the AMD card's ~1000 MHz.

Well we don't know the extent of the new card's oc ability. For all we know that card could oc to 1280 but either way it should be a card to consider.

Teletraan1

Banned
It could be 2x the performance at the same price in some liars benchmarks and I still will never buy an AMD anything again. I have owned enough of them to know how they operate with new games. I have had MMO launches ruined worse than any server issues and terrible performance in games because of shit drivers that took too long to fix. Plus stupid bugs that keep coming back from the grave in new driver updates. No thanks.

It could be 2x the performance at the same price in some liars benchmarks and I still will never buy an AMD anything again. I have owned enough of them to know how they operate with new games. I have had MMO launches ruined worse than any server issues and terrible performance in games because of shit drivers that took too long to fix. Plus stupid bugs that keep coming back from the grave in new driver updates. No thanks.

No problems with a 7850 here.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
No problems with a 7850 here.

i've always had an uncharacteristically easy time with AMD, but you shouldn't begrudge someone for switching to a different vendor if they have what they consider a shitty experience. that's what open platforms are built on.

belmonkey

Aside from upping the RAM from 3Gb to 4GB, might that increase to a 512 bit interface do anything else? Maybe handle higher resolutions better?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
What happens after the 9999 series? Don't they just start the numbers over again? Maybe I'll build a PC once that happens.

Top Bottom