• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumour) AMD R290x (9970) benchmarks leak - faster than Nvidia Titan

longdi

Banned
If true I can't wait to see what Nvidia's response will be in terms of a better card!

And yes, Company of Heroes 2 really does run that poorly and I have no clue why. Hopefully it gets fixed at some point but it's already been a few months since launch.

I dont think Coh2 is unoptimised, sure it runs better on AMD cards, but if you want unoptimised RTS you should look at RA3, that shit slow.
Coh2 runs fine on my 7970 OC and the built in benchmarks are tougher than actual game.

Nethaniah

I dont think Coh2 is unoptimised, sure it runs better on AMD cards, but if you want unoptimised RTS you should look at RA3, that shit slow.
Coh2 runs fine on my 7970 OC and the built in benchmarks are tougher than actual game.

Assuming you mean Red Alert 3, it's capped at 30fps.

Kuro

You know what's really upsetting? Imagine if PCs could get the kind of optimizations for games that consoles get. This GPU could make some amazingly life-like game but will be stuck most of the time just running PS4/XB1 games at 4K with AA.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Aside from upping the RAM from 3Gb to 4GB, might that increase to a 512 bit interface do anything else? Maybe handle higher resolutions better?

even if it has the same memory frequency as a 7970, the card would be looking at a memory bandwidth of 352GB/s. that's 352GBs of data that can be pushed from the card per second or 6GBs of data per frame at 60FPS (for reference, that's 1.2GBs more than titan and twice as much as GPU in the PS4).

of course, that data has to be processed first. which is what the rest of the GPU is doing.

artist

Banned
even if it has the same memory frequency as a 7970, the card would be looking at a memory bandwidth of 352GB/s. that's 352GBs of data that can be pushed from the card per second or 6GBs of data per frame at 60FPS.
It's funny that on the PC side you dont have to use any sort of mathemagic to arrive at those kind of numbers. Like I said in the other thread, that 512b bus has me shocked.

Daishogun

Not to be a party pooper or anything, but are we really surprised? The 700 GeForce cards came out around four to five months ago, and were based on an architecture that is now 18 months old, so I would have been surprised if AMD hadn't beaten the Titan with this card. It's unfair to do an apples to apples comparison of any card at the moment because of this alternating release cycle, as you'd expect the card that came out later would be better.

Now the issue of price will determine if AMD has done well or not. If this is priced at the same as a Titan, it'll be a bit whatever, because of what I've mentioned above. If it's this sub-600, then AMD have had a major coup. So until we know the price, I'd be reserving judgement. Same goes for when NVidia releases their 'Maxwell' cards, but at least then we'd be seeing new architecture vs new architecture.

longdi

Banned
$600?
Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

for $600, you get a Titan killer and also BF4 and 2 more games free....

artist

Banned
Not to be a party pooper or anything, but are we really surprised? The 700 GeForce cards came out around four to five months ago, and were based on an architecture that is now 18 months old, so I would have been surprised if AMD hadn't beaten the Titan with this card. It's unfair to do an apples to apples comparison of any card at the moment because of this alternating release cycle, as you'd expect the card that came out later would be better.
#LeaveNvidiaAlone

Comparing cards is fine, that's how it always works. Nvidia will probably gouge less and will release the full Titan. Thank you based AMD, err competition.

WolvenOne

Okay, so, if this is true, and the number of Shaders, clockspeed and VRAM are roughly the same, (big assumptions I know.) Then, we're talking about, a roughly 25% improvement in horsepower, per watt.

Like I said though, these are some fairly big assumptions.

Daishogun

#LeaveNvidiaAlone

Comparing cards is fine, that's how it always works. Nvidia will probably gouge less and will release the full Titan. Thank you based AMD, err competition.

Fair enough, just reading some of the posts and people are absolutely flabbergasted that the newer card would beat the older one. I'll be saving my post for when Maxwell releases, because the same will apply yet again.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Okay, so, if this is true, and the number of Shaders, clockspeed and VRAM are roughly the same, (big assumptions I know.) Then, we're talking about, a roughly 25% improvement in horsepower, per watt.

Like I said though, these are some fairly big assumptions.

yeah. it's weird how much AMD were talking up the size of their chip when if these leaks are true, the real story is the density.

At launch most artillery strikes would send the framerate crashing to around 15 FPS with max settings aside from AA at Medium. That's with a GTX670, there are much better looking RTS games that also run much better. Game doesn't look massively improved over the first to be worth such terrible drops. Perhaps it's been adjusted since launch though. Need to get back to playing it.

artist

Banned
Fair enough, just reading some of the posts and people are absolutely flabbergasted that the newer card would beat the older one. I'll be saving my post for when Maxwell releases, because the same will apply yet again.
Absolutely, why wont the same rules apply then? I'm a bit perplexed at this logic.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Oh my. This would be hot. AMD has a lot of heat coming into next gen with the consoles using their parts. If I can get 2 Titan level and better cards from AMD for around 600 then I am back on the red team.

I hope those benches are true because nvidia has had it easy for far too long.

Elios83

Amazing if true and at 600$.
nVidia might have to seriously drop their prices and stop their highway robbery...for a while at least.

Tablo

I wonder how Nvidia's response will be as well, how much can they drop the 780 to is an interesting question. Maxwell better be something special @ 28nm because I don't think they can afford to wait to make large strides at 20nm for various reasons...

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I wonder how Nvidia's response will be as well, how much can they drop the 780 to is an interesting question. Maxwell better be something special @ 28nm because I don't think they can afford to wait to make large strides at 20nm for various reasons...

if they're already losing out to a smaller chip with lower power consumption on 28nm, their only real option will be to wait for 20nm or create some gargantuan monster beast chip and sell it for a grand again.

i'd expect some titan XXXL stop-gap followed by 20nm maxwell a little later than planned.

for all the hype around 20nm, if these benchmarks are true, the big news here is that engineers are still finding a way to increase chip density at a time when there were fears that we'd hit a brick wall with current fab processes. is it simultaneously great news now and makes 20nm even more exciting as a prospect.

hemtae

if they're already losing out to a smaller chip with lower power consumption on 28nm, their only real option will be to wait for 20nm or make some gargantuan monster beast chip and sell it for a grand again.

i'd expect some titan XXXL stop-gap followed by 20nm maxwell a little later than planned.

Wait, where did we get power consumption numbers?

You know what's really upsetting? Imagine if PCs could get the kind of optimizations for games that consoles get. This GPU could make some amazingly life-like game but will be stuck most of the time just running PS4/XB1 games at 4K with AA.
Lol, coding to the metal is a myth.

x3sphere

Amazing if true and at 600$.
nVidia might have to seriously drop their prices and stop their highway robbery...for a while at least.

If it's $600 why would NV drop the price of the 780 at all? There has been (and still is) a $100 price difference between the 7970 GHz and 680 GTX. The 7970 is faster in most cases ... and has more VRAM.

I guess my point is, if a $100 difference wasn't getting NV to budge why would $50?

Kay... this is to be expected, quite honestly.

Titan was way back in February, 780 was beginning of June. Buyers of these two cards should have no reason to be mad, unless they literally bought them less than a month ago, and were really reluctant about parting with their money.

As an owner of a 780, not mad, honestly don't care.

What would make me mad is if Nvidia rushed out Maxwell for winter/spring on 28nm in response to AMD's new cards. It would suck to wait until 2015 for 'Real' Maxwell.

maneil99

Seems fishy. Check out overclock.net forums most are calling BS. 80 % improvement over the 7970, 512 bit, and 599$. I dont think so

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now

Carmack said something to that effect once. You'll probably get somewhat better textures on PC (see Crysis 3), as well as some better shader effects, but you're pretty much spot on. PC games will continue to be following the console targets. Fortunately the consoles, because they're more like PCs, will be able to have some of their optimizations backported to PC. So hopefully that helps out. I know the PC version of Planetside 2 in particular will benefit from the PS4's multithreading work, the devs said as much.

artist

Banned
Seems fishy. Check out overclock.net forums most are calling BS. 80 % improvement over the 7970, 512 bit, and 599$. I dont think so
We dont know the price but based on the comments of an AMD executive, they seem to be going to be relatively (compared to Titan/690) priced competitively. The number of DRAM chips on board suggest it's 512bit.

Besides that, didnt people at overclock.net claim that Nvidia was not getting reviewers to do 4K benchmarking? And they turned out wrong.

Yeah, I wouldnt trust them.

(I'm not saying these benches are true either)

tarheel91

Now the issue of price will determine if AMD has done well or not. If this is priced at the same as a Titan, it'll be a bit whatever, because of what I've mentioned above. If it's this sub-600, then AMD have had a major coup. So until we know the price, I'd be reserving judgement. Same goes for when NVidia releases their 'Maxwell' cards, but at least then we'd be seeing new architecture vs new architecture.

What's impressive is that this card supposedly outperforms a Titan with 30% less die size and is more efficient on the same process node. A lot of the big leaps in GPU performance are due to a process shrink that allows them to fit more transistors in a tinier die. That has nothing to do with the leap from the 7000 series to the RX 2XX series.

Nikodemos

Didn't we have some leaks pointing to a 384-bit bus and staggered memory configuration? It was a tech chart for the R9-295 (double-GPU) IIRC. So it's probably 4 GB of memory on a 384-bit bus.

It would be wonderful if true and they price it well. I'll likely hold out to at least see Maxwell but it's always better when there's solid competition.

Top Bottom