• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumour) AMD R290x (9970) benchmarks leak - faster than Nvidia Titan

Nikodemos

Is this a dual or single gpu?
It's their flagship single-GPU.

As I've predicted in some older thread about the new cards, AMD has followed nVidia (out of choice, out of necessity, maybe a bit out of both) down this path, with their highest-end card being single GPU (and their dual-GPU using lower-powered parts). People who believed they would put out two dual-GPU cards were clearly wrong.

(This makes me 2 out of 2 up to now with this and Nintendo dropping the 3D out of the 3DS, btw. Yay, better record than Pach.)

Damaniel

Banned
I've been on Team Nvidia almost exclusively for the last 10 years (except for a couple months with a pair of 6870s in Crossfire that hardly worked with most games), but I'm glad to see that AMD might have something that's truly price and performance competitive. More (and better) competition is good!

Now AMD just needs to get all of their driver issues worked out (especially their Crossfire problems)...

26234637523E213F25CCF4

For comparison, my GTX780 at 1241core and 6800mem does 67.5fps at this setting. I run the card at that 24/7.

Yes it's stock vs OC so I'll be looking foward to it's OC potential.

Only reason why I wouldn't buy this immediately is due to the fact that I can't afford to sacrifice my Xbox One and PS4 money, but I'm definitely buying on the price drop.

WolvenOne

I've been on Team Nvidia almost exclusively for the last 10 years (except for a couple months with a pair of 6870s in Crossfire that hardly worked with most games), but I'm glad to see that AMD might have something that's truly price and performance competitive. More (and better) competition is good!

Now AMD just needs to get all of their driver issues worked out (especially their Crossfire problems)...

According to the guys at Toms Hardware guys, for most games the most recent driver update puts Crossfire X about on par with SLI. It just needs to be applied to DX9 and OpenGL titles at this point, and supposedly another driver update will do just that.

So, assuming they don't somehow break the driver in between now and then, that more or less solves the Crossfire issue.

ethomaz

Banned
Close batter between Titan and the new Radeon... nVidia will need to cut prices... DAT competition.

Both needs 20nm urgent.

Reallink

It's amazing how different PC and console demographics are. $599 US dollars is a 2 jobs cardinal sin in the console space while over in PC land it's an unthinkably low bargain bin value everyone hopes and wishes for.

artist

Banned
What would make me mad is if Nvidia rushed out Maxwell for winter/spring on 28nm in response to AMD's new cards. It would suck to wait until 2015 for 'Real' Maxwell.
Why would you be mad? As long as the hypothetical 28nm Maxwell kicked ass and took names (at a decent price, lol) then who the fuck cares if it's not 20nm.

vazel

Banned
It's amazing how different PC and console demographics are. $599 US dollars is a 2 jobs cardinal sin in the console space while over in PC land it's an unthinkably low bargain bin value everyone hopes and wishes for.
The $600 cards are for the enthusiasts with a lot of money. The rest of us get the $200-300 cards.

I'm really happy with my factory oc'ed MSI 660ti card which I bought for $300. Especially since I got the Nvidia $150 F2P bundle with it.

x3sphere

I'm really not thrilled at all if it's $600. Pretty sure that's unprecedented for an AMD card. I think the 7970 at launch ($550) was their highest, but it had a large and consistent performance advantage over the 580.

Also, there are some other benches in the link that show the new card slightly below a 780/Titan.

22772637523E213D2AD972

232C7937523E213D239906

27204637523E213C2517CD

artist

Banned
I'm really not thrilled at all if it's $600. Pretty sure that's unprecedented for an AMD card. I think the 7970 at launch ($550) was their highest, but it had a large and consistent performance advantage over the 580.

Also, there are some other benches in the link that show the new card slightly below a 780/Titan.
Engineering sample and unlikely mature drivers, how do they work? Again, I'm not saying these benches are genuine but the perf advantage shown in other games is pretty large for this to make any sense ..

Btw, I think the XT PE & XTX during the X1xxx days were above $600 mark.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I want to believe, because it would be great for the cards a couple notches down that I could afford.

But I don't, primarily based on AMD's previous comments about price and performance.

Putty

Very nice if true but I'll stick with my 7950 8) I'll quite happily drop the screen res in the future to keep a certain level of eye candy. Having been used to XB/PS consoles for so long aswell I know I can live with even a 720p res.

x3sphere

Engineering sample and unlikely mature drivers, how do they work? Again, I'm not saying these benches are genuine but the perf advantage shown in other games is pretty large for this to make any sense ..

Btw, I think the XT PE & XTX during the X1xxx days were above $600 mark.

In some of the benches even the 7970 GHz isn't far behind the 780 (see AvP or CoH 2), so it's not surprising the new card is ahead by a good margin in those games. They favor AMD arch.

In games where the performance gap between 780 and the 7970 is larger, the new card is mostly neck and neck with Titan and 780. BF3 looks to be an exception though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the OC performance. Most GTX780s can clock up quite high so hopefully the headroom on AMD's new card is also good.

iavi

Please start making better drivers.

?

Is this never going to end?

AMD's latest drivers, and actually for a while now, have been fantastic. Nailing problems, boosting performance, adding features, etc.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the OC performance. Most GTX780s can clock up quite high so hopefully the headroom on AMD's new card is also good.

If the headroom is anything like the 7xxx series, good god.

Addnan

I doubt it's real. If it is real great, I will buy it. At $600 better than Titan, I will believe it when I see it. Not long to go now anyway.

These are enthusiast-level cards, enthusiasts can easily afford them. I usually spend no more than $300 on a new card purchase, unless a true bargain dictates a larger spend.

Smokey

If these are true and that price is true...gonna have to start working to move my Titan

Based on the rumored specs...don't see this being $600 but if it is lawd help me

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What an amazing card it sounds. You'll be able to run in nice high resolutions and downsample to your monitors resolution.

If they ever update their drivers to bloody support that :(

Dennis

Banned
Faster than Titan? Me likey.....oh, its AMD. Never mind.

Benchmarks at 1080p? tsh tsh who even games at so low resolutions these days? Its all about 1600p+ now.....

cripterion

Competition is good! I owned both ATI and Nvidia and there are cons and pros for each side. I do have a better experience with Nvidia though nowadays so I'm going to hold out for whaterver new cards they got coming next and sit on these 670's.

velociraptor

Wow. I hope this is competitively priced. This card sounds like an absolute monster!

Probably will cost minimum £400-500 though. Heh.

KKRT00

Sleeping dogs runs well. DId you happen to run it with SSAA unwittingly like a lot of people?

Yeah, people think if thats say max setting that they can always running without learning what options means. Same was for Metro:LL - 'omg game is so unoptimized i have 20fps' when they were running with SSAA ...

Top Bottom