• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumour) AMD R290x (9970) benchmarks leak - faster than Nvidia Titan

Dawg

I don't think you know what my meaning of "destroy" was when I wrote that. So let me reiterate. My hunch is Nvidia's flagship 800 card will beat the 9970 by very wide margins. Mark it down.

If not, I'll gift you a game on Steam. :)

Smart move.

even if you lose, you can gift Bad Rats

Durante

Just buy a 4k monitor so you won't be able to afford supersampling.
I just bought a 1440p monitor, and a PC ugrade is coming up, I'm not made of money :p

I really need the downsampling for my 720p projector though, at 1440p I can normally live with SMAA. Well, barely.

Idk, options are cool.
Yeah, more options are always good. Particularly in terms of downsampling, I'd appreciate a slider with just a scaling factor. Preferably one that auto-adjusts itself based on framerate. Optionally of course.

FLAguy954

looks as big as the old gpu

AMD-R9-290X-vs-HD-7970-PCB1.jpg

And judging by the 512 MB GDDR5 modules, we're looking at a 4GB card.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I just bought a 1440p monitor, and a PC ugrade is coming up, I'm not made of money :p

If you can find a 1440p (or higher) monitor that offers 1-2ms response time and a refresh rate of 120Htz or above. Let me know.

I'm in the market for a good 2560x1600 monitor (preferably IPS or LED) and 24" or above, and I'd settle for a 5ms response time, but the 120Htz is a must for me.

Durante

Well, you won't get 1ms on anything other than a TN, but almost all QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 are overclockable to 120 Hz or thereabouts, are 1440p, PLS, and relatively cheap.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Well, you won't get 1ms on anything other than a TN, but almost all QNIX QX2710 Evolution 2 are overclockable to 120 Hz or thereabouts, are 1440p, PLS, and relatively cheap.

Thanks man, I'll look over it today and make a decision. Get paid next Fri so all is good.

Well now. About time AMD got its butt in gear.

This has actually happened many times before. Where AMD will release benchmarks for a upcoming card that beat the current king (and even then, let's be serious, it ain't beating the Titan by that much). And then, a few months later Nvidia releases their shit and proceeds to stomp a mudhole in AMD's asses with their news benches. Don't see it playing any other way this time... Only thing that might happen, is Nvidia will want to milk the 700 series longer and AMD will sort of take the throne for a quite a few months, then 800 series benches get releases and AMD cries.

That's just my prediction anyway.

So it has gone from bad to worse with those nvidia drivers?

Nividia drivers, at least on my end have been super solid aside from a very rare few updates which were fixed pretty fast.

NeOak

Any good source you can recommend on how to do this?

I'm considering it too vs an Asus VG248QE.

scitek

If these are true, I'm really interested to see if this will cause the 8xx series to be priced more competitively than it otherwise would have been.

ufo8mycat

I guess this is great for people who game above 1080p, otherwise a simple GTX780 plays all games at 1080p maxed with 60fps anyway.

nbthedude

I don't know why the fuck they put SSAA in a real-time strategy game... but the game still ran like shit even with it off, I don't know if they've patched it or not, but I don't care enough to re-install it.

A game that looks looks like it's from 2007 should not run like Crysis 3.
I have a pretty good idea why:

If your game's "high" settngs are demanding you show up in every set of benchmark tests and people start using and talking about your game as a touchstone for their new gear.

It is free marketing.

Herne

That's when you then look at the former flagships and see they've dropped a ton in price and buy that. If you are only running 1080p on a single monitor the 250 card will be plenty.

This, a friend and I just bought a Radeon 7970 Gigahertz Edition each to replace our GeForce GTX 460 and Radeon 6870 respectively, seeing as they've more than halved their prices now. Still one of the most powerful cards out there, but so cheap, and come with plenty of vram. Yeah the new cards are more powerful but you're paying a premium for buying them early. The 7970's we bought will let us play every game at the highest settings for years to come.

diffusionx

Gold Member
New card faster than old card, I am shocked.

Titan was so expensive because it was the top of the heap, this is why competition is good, thank you based AMD. Welcome back.

scitek

I'll be gaming at 1080p for the foreseeable future, but I decided to hold off on upgrading my GPU until next year because of both the rumors that the 8xx series will be a big jump, and the new consoles coming out means multiplatform games will be more demanding. I'm holding out hope that my 670 will be able to handle Watch_Dogs and the like at 30fps with max settings.

ufo8mycat

I'll be gaming at 1080p for the foreseeable future, but I decided to hold off on upgrading my GPU until next year because of both the rumors that the 8xx series will be a big jump, and the new consoles coming out means multiplatform games will be more demanding. I'm holding out hope that my 670 will be able to handle Watch_Dogs and the like at 30fps with max settings.

I don't see why a 670 won't be able to run Watch Dogs at 45-60fps if the game is optimised properly.

Also the fact the PC is the lead platform.

I reckon it will be fine

ArynCrinn

Banned
Any good source you can recommend on how to do this?

I'm considering it too vs an Asus VG248QE.

This is the monitor I currently use (love the pivot for Ikaruga on Dolphin!). Along with the BenQ 27" Gaming monitor which imo, even at 120Htz is better due to almost identical + more features AND a switch that allows you to easily go through and setup what OSD preset you want.

nbthedude

This, a friend and I just bought a Radeon 7970 Gigahertz Edition each to replace our GeForce GTX 460 and Radeon 6870 respectively, seeing as they've more than halved their prices now. Still one of the most powerful cards out there, but so cheap, and come with plenty of vram. Yeah the new cards are more powerful but you're paying a premium for buying them early. The 7970's we bought will let us play every game at the highest settings for years to come.

I dont know about "at the highest settings," I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment there. Not because that card isnt amazing bang for the buck, it is the best currently, in my opinion. But because feature creep will continue. In recent years we went from high sampling to ultra sampling to Witcher 2's "uber sampling." We went from less demanding types of AA to more sophisticated ones. The top end of the settings bar in games will keep getting higher.

BUT, and this is a big but, this should not bother you. You are still running at today's "high" and It is no different than if games simply didn't offer those higher and higher settings. People get way, way to caught up in the idea of "maxing" things out when that is a vague concept that isn't even practical. Part of the great thing about PC gaming is you get to decide if you like crazy frame rates better or you really like 8x FXAA (and good on you cause hell of I can tell any perceivable difference at all). "Always all of everything" is not only impractical (and impossible unless you are rich) it also denies you customization choices.

A 7970 will run next gen stuff great and it is a bargain. Just don't sweat the compromises in menu systems. Hell, that is part of the fun stuff where you get to make the calls. Personally, anything above standard 4 or 8xAA, I refer to as the "gimme awesome frame rate button" cause that is one area I can't hardly notice worth a damn unless I stare at static images for really long periods of time. Find your own style and learn to tell your card what you want it to do for you and you'll be very happy.

badb0y

I don't think you know what my meaning of "destroy" was when I wrote that. So let me reiterate. My hunch is Nvidia's flagship 800 card will beat the 9970 by very wide margins. Mark it down.

If not, I'll gift you a game on Steam. :)
Why are you bringing up the GTX 800 when that's due sometime next year? GTX 800 will not release before TSMC has 20 nm up and running and both AMD and nVidia will release new card then.

Herne

I dont know about "at the highest settings," I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment there. Not because that card isnt amazing bang for the buck, it is the best currently, in my opinion. But because feature creep will continue. In recent years we went from high sampling to ultra sampling to Witcher 2's "uber sampling." We went from less demanding types of AA to more sophisticated ones. The top end of the settings bar in games will keep getting higher.

BUT, and this is a big but, this should not bother you. You are still running at today's "high" and It is no different than if games simply didn't offer those higher and higher settings. People get way, way to caught up in the idea of "maxing" things out when that is a vague concept that isn't even practical. Part of the great thing about PC gaming is you get to decide if you like crazy frame rates better or you really like 8x FXAA (and good on you cause hell of I can tell any perceivable difference at all). "Always all of everything" is not only impractical (and impossible unless you are rich) it also denies you customization choices.

A 7970 will run next gen stuff great and it is a bargain. Just don't sweat the compromises in menu systems. Hell, that is part of the fun stuff where you get to make the calls. Personally, anything above standard 4 or 8xAA, I refer to as the "gimme awesome frame rate button" cause that is one area I can't hardly notice worth a damn unless I stare at static images for really long periods of time. Find your own style and learn to tell your card what you want it to do for you and you'll be very happy.

Sorry, I should have specified. I know that playing every game with every setting up full is impractical and, as time goes by, especially with the launch of the new consoles, impossible. I've been buying mid-range cards for most of my pc gaming history, from my Voodoo 3 3000 to my GeForce TI4200, to my Radeon 9800, X800 GTO and onto my 6870. I have always managed to play at mostly the highest settings available, keeping anti-aliasing at 2x and shadows at medium (and no, I can't tell the difference in AA settings in anything above 2x!).

As long as I can set textures to their highest setting, keep most of the rest up to their highest and run at a fair fps (hell, I'm not even picky with fps rates, sub-20 is fine by me in certain games - bound to be a controversial opinion here from what I've seen), all is well and good. The 7970 is a nice upgrade over my 6870 and his 460, and may even last me longer than my usual two year upgrade rate.

Pretty sure even if you max WD out your 670 would still be enough. Plus there's the option of getting another 670 or simply not maxing the visuals out. I got two 670s yet I never max games out. Usually I never run the highest AA, msaa x2 is good enough for me and I usually never run shadows max in any game because who cares about fucking shadows?

tarheel91

Thanks man, I'll look over it today and make a decision. Get paid next Fri so all is good.

This has actually happened many times before. Where AMD will release benchmarks for a upcoming card that beat the current king (and even then, let's be serious, it ain't beating the Titan by that much). And then, a few months later Nvidia releases their shit and proceeds to stomp a mudhole in AMD's asses with their news benches. Don't see it playing any other way this time... Only thing that might happen, is Nvidia will want to milk the 700 series longer and AMD will sort of take the throne for a quite a few months, then 800 series benches get releases and AMD cries.

That's just my prediction anyway.

Nividia drivers, at least on my end have been super solid aside from a very rare few updates which were fixed pretty fast.

Err, I don't think you understand how GPU design works. The 800 series will beat this new set of cards for sure. Why? It's because the 800 series will be a 20nm card, so if it doesn't show a big improvement purely from the process shrink, something is wrong. One of the thing that's so impressive about this jump if the benches are real is that this card is outperforming the Titan on 30% less die and using less power on the same process node.

Also, I'd expect both companies to release their 20nm cards in a similar time period. I think the fact that AMD even released this series is indicative of the fact that TSMC is having trouble with 20nm and we're in for a longer wait than we thought.

E-Cat

How reliable is the source? I'm finding these benchmarks and the price hard to swallow, considering we're still on the 28nm node.

Hope it's true, though.

Azulsky

How reliable is the source? I'm finding these benchmarks and the price hard to swallow, considering we're still on the 28nm node.

Hope it's true, though.

This is why we wait for a full breakdown from someone like PCper, TPU, Guru3d.

But if this forces price drops on Titans then I am excite

nbthedude

Sorry, I should have specified. I know that playing every game with every setting up full is impractical and, as time goes by, especially with the launch of the new consoles, impossible. I've been buying mid-range cards for most of my pc gaming history, from my Voodoo 3 3000 to my GeForce TI4200, to my Radeon 9800, X800 GTO and onto my 6870. I have always managed to play at mostly the highest settings available, keeping anti-aliasing at 2x and shadows at medium (and no, I can't tell the difference in AA settings in anything above 2x!).

As long as I can set textures to their highest setting, keep most of the rest up to their highest and run at a fair fps (hell, I'm not even picky with fps rates, sub-20 is fine by me in certain games - bound to be a controversial opinion here from what I've seen), all is well and good. The 7970 is a nice upgrade over my 6870 and his 460, and may even last me longer than my usual two year upgrade rate.

I"m pretty much the same way: AA at x2 or 4x is fine. Everything else on high. I also have the 7970 that I picked up last Christmas when it was the (already great deal) price of $340. So we are pretty much at the same place.

A buddy of mine has been vacillating about buying a 7970 all this weekend because he has a new build with all the rest of his parts arriving this coming week. But the rumors about these new cards keep teasing him. But I think he will be happy either way.

kinggroin

Banned

I really need the downsampling for my 720p projector though, at 1440p I can normally live with SMAA. Well, barely.

Yeah, more options are always good. Particularly in terms of downsampling, I'd appreciate a slider with just a scaling factor. Preferably one that auto-adjusts itself based on framerate. Optionally of course.

Which projector? Short throw?

KKRT00

Even if those cards will much more competitive in performance to nvidia, i still wont buy it. I dont have anything personally to AMD, i loved my R 4850 and had no problems with its drivers either , but ShadowPlay is awesome function in Kepler cards than i just cannot pass. So sorry AMD, not this time.

Why would you be mad? As long as the hypothetical 28nm Maxwell kicked ass and took names (at a decent price, lol) then who the fuck cares if it's not 20nm.

If it kicked ass, sure that would be excellent. I was alluding to another gtx 680 type incident, the one were we wound up getting a cut down card that barely beat AMD competition, when we could have had something much more powerful at a way earlier date.

tipoo

Banned
On the 512 bit memory bus pictured, you'd be looking at 352GB/s bandwidth - just assuming the same clock as the current high end. Titan has a 384-bit bus for 288.4GB/s. Damn. And AMD doesn't even tend to do the sky high prices Nvidia does when they get a better performer.

On the 512 bit memory bus pictured, you'd be looking at 352GB/s bandwidth - just assuming the same clock as the current high end. Titan has a 384-bit bus for 288.4GB/s. Damn. And AMD doesn't even tend to do the sky high prices Nvidia does when they get a better performer.

I am liking that!

ArynCrinn

Banned
Why are you bringing up the GTX 800 when that's due sometime next year? GTX 800 will not release before TSMC has 20 nm up and running and both AMD and nVidia will release new card then.

1: I just think whatever Nvidia releases as a flagship will beat whatever AMD does. Now or later.

2: He quoted me, so I was sort of fucking with him.

Err, I don't think you understand how GPU design works. The 800 series will beat this new set of cards for sure. Why? It's because the 800 series will be a 20nm card, so if it doesn't show a big improvement purely from the process shrink, something is wrong. One of the thing that's so impressive about this jump if the benches are real is that this card is outperforming the Titan on 30% less die and using less power on the same process node.

Also, I'd expect both companies to release their 20nm cards in a similar time period. I think the fact that AMD even released this series is indicative of the fact that TSMC is having trouble with 20nm and we're in for a longer wait than we thought.

I understand they both are shooting for the 20nm shrink and the performance improvement for that. But honestly I think that will be a LONG wait, maybe mid-late 2014. Which sort of brings up another facet to this dilemma, if AMD is contesting Titan now (which really is a last gen card). Might Nvidia be pressured to release a GTX 790 or even a 700 series-based Titan type card? It's more than possible and plausible if this new card starts taking enough business away from Nvidia at a competitive price point.

Azulsky

1: I just think whatever Nvidia releases as a flagship will beat whatever AMD does. Now or later.

2: He quoted me, so I was sort of fucking with him.

I understand they both are shooting for the 20nm shrink and the performance improvement for that. But honestly I think that will be a LONG wait, maybe mid-late 2014. Which sort of brings up another facet to this dilemma, if AMD is contesting Titan now (which really is a last gen card). Might Nvidia be pressured to release a GTX 790 or even a 700 series-based Titan type card? It's more than possible and plausible if this new card starts taking enough business away from Nvidia at a competitive price point.

I think a 790 is just a matter of time. They have been making the dual die cards for the last few generations, they usually wait till the end of the generation when the silicon process is refined and they can bin for lower power consumption.

Whether they release a jacked up GK110 to reassert single GPU throne is another story. I cant imagine they are going to release anything with architectural changes though.

Top Bottom