• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumour) AMD R290x (9970) benchmarks leak - faster than Nvidia Titan

DieH@rd

Banned
I think all those benchmarks are pointless until AMD releases drivers that take full advantage from new CCN 2.0 architecture.

But still, Im glad AMD has awesome card ready for sales. Shame I wont be able to afford that monster.

kinggroin

Banned
Faster than Titan? Me likey.....oh, its AMD. Never mind.

Benchmarks at 1080p? tsh tsh who even games at so low resolutions these days? Its all about 1600p+ now.....

For a while now, I've been gaming with a gtx670 at 720p on my projector. Just updated it a few days ago to a 1080p model.

Everyone should take a look at those benches btw. It does not handily beat the Titan in every game. AMD evolved titles vs. TWIMTPB is partially what we are seeing here.

velociraptor

Everyone should take a look at those benches btw. It does not handily beat the Titan in every game. AMD evolved titles vs. TWIMTPB is partially what we are seeing here.
If it delivers Titan level performance at a much lower price point, I don't think many will complain either way.

Ty4on

Yeah, people think if thats say max setting that they can always running without learning what options means. Same was for Metro:LL - 'omg game is so unoptimized i have 20fps' when they were running with SSAA ...

And this results in games without those settings :(

I don't see what's wrong with maximum settings that only work on very expensive rigs or rigs in the future. I'd love to have an SSAA setting in older games.

kharma45

Fix Crossfire and I am fucking in.

They have on a single monitor with the latest beta driver.

What is so bad about AMD drivers? Been rocking an AMD card since 2011 and I've had absolutely no problems with it.

Nothing at all, they've been excellent since they moved away from monthly releases.

Nvidia has been churning out shit problematic driver's for a while.

Yeah Nvidia has had worse drivers than AMD of late.

And this results in games without those settings :(

I don't see what's wrong with maximum settings that only work on very expensive rigs or rigs in the future. I'd love to have an SSAA setting in older games.

I think every game should allow internal super sampling. It is a great feature!

I hope AMD brings it on. Nvidia right now reminds me of the time where they launched the 8800 Ultra which was so expensive. Today's equivalent is the Titan of course.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Faster than Titan? Me likey.....oh, its AMD. Never mind.

Benchmarks at 1080p? tsh tsh who even games at so low resolutions these days? Its all about 1600p+ now.....
Nvidia wanted benches at 4k but they are evil so it got labelled as a scummy tactic.

artist

Banned
Nvidia wanted benches at 4k but they are evil so it got labelled as a scummy tactic.
I see you're still bitter that turned out true..

Whats the likelyhood of the leaker having a 4K display to actually test at that resolution? Judging from the promo for Hawaii launch, AMD is going to stress 4K resolution testing.

Drazgul

How have the AMD reference coolers been lately? I guess you can forget about any real overclocking, but what about the volume levels and such?

kharma45

How have the AMD reference coolers been lately? I guess you can forget about any real overclocking, but what about the volume levels and such?

Still poor. Only good reference one is the one from Titan that also appears on the 780 and 770 too.

Drazgul

You're better off with non-reference custom solutions.

And water is wet, yeah. :p

Was just curious, sometimes when these new cards launch the reference cards have been priced much more competitively, not to mention the availability issues. I mean if they aren't complete crap, I could see myself just getting one of the reference cards and wait until some good aftermarket cooler becomes available (though I usually opt for some manufacturer's included cooling solution like MSI's TF - I never bother with water anyway).

Ty4on

I think every game should allow internal super sampling. It is a great feature!

yeah. just give it a "you know what this does, right?" pop up.

Just say something like "this'll tank performance for a tiny visual gain" or something. Games should come with a description of what every graphical setting does, an example photo and a bar showing how much performance the system will have or show how much the CPU/GPU will be stressed.

Most people don't mind/notice aliasing which is probably why most console games come with very little AA, but I love turning AA to absurd values in older games like TF2 and seeing a near CGI-like IQ. Then I start up Assassins Creed 1 from Steam and it has jaggies everywhere.

Edit:
If you like noise, sure!

ArynCrinn

Banned
I'll wait for the proper GTX 800 series (700 series seemed like a cheaper go between). And I fully expect Nvidia's flagship card to destroy the 9970 at least by small margins.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I haven't had an AMD GPU since my 6970 but I thought newer drivers officially introduced that? Or was it the old hack method that was required?

You have to roll back to a driver that support the community tool to get the custom resolutions and then reinstall the latest drivers.

Irobot82

I haven't had an AMD GPU since my 6970 but I thought newer drivers officially introduced that? Or was it the old hack method that was required?

The old hack method doesn't really work anymore. It' pretty depressing, I miss gaming at 1440p. Some of the drivers branches still let you go down to 12.10, run the tool, then upgrade over top, but most of the latest releases aren't.

Durante

I haven't had an AMD GPU since they were called ATI (I had 3 of those though, including a Radeon. Yeah, just Radeon!), but I was told that it's pretty much broken right now. Which is in turn a dealbreaker for me, since I'm a card carrying IQ elitist.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I haven't had an AMD GPU since they were called ATI (I had 3 of those though, including a Radeon. Yeah, just Radeon!), but I was told that it's pretty much broken right now. Which is in turn a dealbreaker for me, since I'm a card carrying IQ elitist.

Hmmmm, that causes me to ponder a switch then. I like to downsample with my nvidia cards.

Thanks for the replies on this to the few posts above as well.

Just buy a 4k monitor so you won't be able to afford supersampling.

I think it's rather obvious he's referring to Nvidia's next top-tier card defeating the 9970 in performance benchmarks.

And I thought it was rather obvious that I was mocking his use of the word destroy in the context of a GPU that comes later having slightly better performance.

Dawg

And I thought it was rather obvious that I was mocking his use of the word destroy in the context of a GPU that comes later having slightly better performance.

I don't think it will be "slightly better". Again, we can't know how big the difference will be at this point, but 8xx is supposed to be a much bigger jump than 7xx.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

These benches far exceeded people's expectations of what they thought AMD would deliver so calling Nvidia performance levels now seems just as naive.

I don't think it will be "slightly better". Again, we can't know how big the difference will be at this point, but 8xx is supposed to be a much bigger jump than 7xx.

We'll see-Kepler was a pretty big jump so it would have to take a big improvement architecture-wise along with the smaller node to do so. Things are definitely more exciting in the GPU world that I can ever remember them being though.

Between things like GPGPU and all of the new features that have come out over the last few years it (almost) makes me want to drop some serious dough on a higher-end card and multi-monitor setup.

These benches far exceeded people's expectations of what they thought AMD would deliver so calling Nvidia performance levels now seems just as naive.

Read the full post I was responding to there, the phrase "destroy the 9970 at least by small margins" doesn't make a bit of sense given the meaning of that word.

antitrop

So Company of Heroes 2 is still an unoptimized pile of dogshit with awful, dated graphics that can barely hit 60fps on a Titan?

Dawg

We'll see-Kepler was a pretty big jump so it would have to take a big improvement architecture-wise along with the smaller node to do so. Things are definitely more exciting in the GPU world that I can ever remember them being though.

Between things like GPGPU and all of the new features that have come out over the last few years it (almost) makes me want to drop some serious dough on a higher-end card and multi-monitor setup.

Certainly.

I also hope AMD will bring more competition to the table, partly because I want a good price war happening. I usually like to buy the high-end single card, but those cards aren't exactly cheap... and when one party's single card is much better than the other party, the price tends to stay high.

So Company of Heroes 2 is still an unoptimized pile of dogshit that can barely hit 60fps on a Titan?

It only shows how the original game had graphics that were ahead of their time. Sure, there's a small difference once you play the second game, but is it worth the huge performance hit? Aw, hell no. Very disappointing performance numbers.

Hrothgar

Yeah Nvidia has had worse drivers than AMD of late.

Tell me about it, I had to revert to 314.22 as every driver after that has caused increasingly bad issues with my GTX 460. First it was just the occasional driver crash, but the last 2 drivers caused my screen to randomly freeze and/or put my monitor into sleep mode, requiring a hard reboot.

antitrop

No, it's another victim of SSAA ignorance.
I don't know why the fuck they put SSAA in a real-time strategy game... but the game still ran like shit even with it off, I don't know if they've patched it or not, but I don't care enough to re-install it.

A game that looks looks like it's from 2007 should not run like Crysis 3.

Certainly.

I also hope AMD will bring more competition to the table, partly because I want a good price war happening. I usually like to buy the high-end single card, but those cards aren't exactly cheap... and when one party's single card is much better than the other party, the price tends to stay high.

It's more a question of efficiency for me. Much of the issue with the HD 7970 compared to the 770/780 is that the later were considerably less power hungry, a fact that should be particularly concerning to AMD given how long they had the edge in that respect.

As far as raw performance is concerned, AMD couldn't touch the Titan, but they were pretty close in most cases to the 770/780.

Dennis

Banned
Tell me about it, I had to revert to 314.22 as every driver after that has caused increasingly bad issues with my GTX 460. First it was just the occasional driver crash, but the last 2 drivers caused my screen to randomly freeze and/or put my monitor into sleep mode, requiring a hard reboot.

ME TOO!

At first I thought my hardware was getting old and fucked but it turned out to be the latest two or three versions of the NVIDIA drivers.

Get on this shit NVIDIA or eventually it will be more like NOVIDYA

ArynCrinn

Banned
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

I don't think you know what my meaning of "destroy" was when I wrote that. So let me reiterate. My hunch is Nvidia's flagship 800 card will beat the 9970 by very wide margins. Mark it down.

If not, I'll gift you a game on Steam. :)

Top Bottom