• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

Spaghetti

never played the Shenmue games however I know there is a huge cult following, how long does each game last roughly, story wise no side objectives? Also how many side objectives are there minus working for money such as lucky hit etc
The length of the game depends on your own progress, so it's difficult to put a number on it.

The length of the original game is kinda artificially extended by having to wait for certain story beats (basically Animal Crossing-ish waiting for the next in-game day), but that's likely to be gone in a remaster.

The sequel is absolutely dependent on your own progress as some of the major quests are pretty flexible and can be shorter/longer depending on performance, story branches, etc.

Side objectives outside earning money (i.e jobs, gambling, street fights for cash)... there's a handful. You can practice your martial arts moves (alone or with a partner in the original, just with a partner in the sequel), collect capsule toys (both games), play games in the arcades (both games), darts rivalries (sequel only, technically gambling as you play for money), slot machines (both games), duck racing (sequel only, also done for money I guess), and maybe a few more I'm forgetting.

Side quests is a different matter. The original Shenmue handles side quests and optional events as an extension of the main story with additional story beats and character development. The sequel has some legit sidequests alongside the optional activities, one of which is pretty obscure to find out yourself but gives you two extra boss battles and unlocks a new minigame.

Boss Mog

Let HexaDrive do it. They did a great job with FF Type-0 HD. They could potentially improve the character models and backgrounds a bit in the same way they did for the PSP remaster.

Boss★Moogle;236875980 said:
Let HexaDrive do it. They did a great job with FF Type-0 HD. They could potentially improve the character models and backgrounds a bit in the same way they did for the PSP remaster.

Aside from the fact I'd love any studio to be working on it, my own personal choice would be Bluepoint Games. But aside from those guys, the front runners would be Spanish studio Blitworks. They were responsible for the unreleased port on the Xbox dev kit, and also have been vocal about pushing Sega to get them to greenlight a full blown remaster.

Spaghetti

Is there any word on what arcade games will be in Shenmue 3?
Excite QTE 3 and QTE Title are the only ones we know about. We do know there's an extra mini-game involving a toy forklift, but nobody knows if that'll be in the arcades or just out on the streets liking the gambling venues.

Bowl0l

Shenmue I HD
I don't want to wait for Shenmue 4 release just to play Shenmue 2 but it's a sound idea to me.
If it's me, I will put up an ingame poster in Shenmue 3 to hint of the release of Shenmue 1 and 2 HD. Sega will probably need the original developer free to get the remaster/port right so the delay for Shenmue 1 and 2 is inevitable. They can only release a game once so they better get it right.

Me too.

Is there any word on what arcade games will be in Shenmue 3?

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything, honestly. Not sure they have the budget or resources to allocate for that. Assuming they do, I'd imagine late 80s Sega games like Fantasy Zone or Shinobi, since they're running out of Suzuki games from that era.

Apologies for the bump, but a slight development related to this has been noticed by Kiske over at the Shenmue Dojo. The same author of the rumored Shenmue HD article, "I love Japanese Games" also wrote an article with the rumor of a Parappa the Rappa and Gitaroo crossover game, which was basically confirmed on Friday with the launch of a website:

Rumor article - http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/project-rap-rabbit/

Confirmed article - http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/project-rap-rabbit-confirmed/

Now, whilst we still are no closer to Shenmue HD, this example certainly does bolster the reliability of the author of the original Shenmue HD article, and that his/her source from Altus is indeed legitimate. As to why we haven't had an announcement yet remains unknown, but hopefully we won't have that long to wait!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1374156

Let's hope they're related.

It's....it's actually going to happen....

h3kjEXJ.jpg

Ensoul

Said I would never play Shenmue 2 until 3 was announced. Well, I know it has been announced but I think it might be tough to go back to a 16 year old game at this point. So hopefully the HD version comes out.

Excite QTE 3 and QTE Title are the only ones we know about. We do know there's an extra mini-game involving a toy forklift, but nobody knows if that'll be in the arcades or just out on the streets liking the gambling venues.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything, honestly. Not sure they have the budget or resources to allocate for that. Assuming they do, I'd imagine late 80s Sega games like Fantasy Zone or Shinobi, since they're running out of Suzuki games from that era.

Thank you both :)

Never played it but backed 3 just to make people happy... so would buy to experience that game first time.... if true...

Yep I did too. I backed $60 for the PS4 edition because it was just awesome seeing everyone happy! I'd definitely buy Shenmue 1+2 if an HD Remaster came out...

Spaghetti

Said I would never play Shenmue 2 until 3 was announced. Well, I know it has been announced but I think it might be tough to go back to a 16 year old game at this point. So hopefully the HD version comes out.
If it helps, II is more user friendly than the original which might make it easier to slip into.

Lucky Hit HD.

Kidding aside, this is a no-brainer purchase for me. Was jacked to the t's when 3 got announced and wanted to re-visit 1&2 to prepare, but don't really have a good way to do so.

I feel like both of these games will be terrible to play today as the gameplay has aged badly due to the QTEs
From memory, the only thing that's really aged badly are movement controls. They're not quite fully tank but they're not quite analog. They're just stuck in some awful place in the middle. Even using the dreamcast stick in the second game felt weird. Fix that (if possible) and we're golden.

The QTEs, while frequent at points, also aren't really that bad. They're functional, checkpoints are common enough and in some points even if you miss it isn't the end of the world as the game carries on another way. It was only frustrating at two points from memory, one of which (in retrospect) is something I've become fond of. The barber shop is one, which I've grown to like because it goes against everything you've been taught in the series sobfar, and the end of Kowloon is another because as a kid I heard Japanese Ryo shouting "Ren!" so much that it's actually become ingrained in my mind.

Change that stealth section in the first game too, come to think of it.

Theonik

I actually don't mind the tank controls in Shenmue much. It's the camera I dislike.
I hope they try to address more issues now they aren't tied to the DC controller.

flattie

I feel like both of these games will be terrible to play today as the gameplay has aged badly due to the QTEs

It's not the QTEs that have aged - I've always felt they were well done. Movement and camera controls on the other hand...

Still, I couldn't care less - I just want to see them made available.

I don't think it's the QTEs specifically, but rather the frustration from having to repeat sequences if you fail, compounded by loading screens and frankly, a bad controller for that sort of thing to begin with.

dan2026

As long as we get the original Japanese audio for both.

The dub is good for a laugh, but I couldn't play through with it.

totoro'd

I want this to be real so badly, they're some of my all time favorite games, and i'm going to replay them in anticipation for 3 and it'd be nice if it's in HD glory (plus much better controls i'm hoping)

As much as I'm looking forward to this hopefully releasing, I'm dreading all the negative threads from 20 year olds who've never played the game and are put off by all the idiosyncrasies.

Spaghetti

As much as I'm looking forward to this hopefully releasing, I'm dreading all the negative threads from 20 year olds who've never played the game and are put off by all the idiosyncrasies.
I wouldn't take too much of a defeatist attitude to it. There's plenty of people who caught the wave before and after Shenmue III was announced in recent years and enjoyed the games.

The people who don't like it will always absolutely have to let you know their opinion, but that doesn't mean they're the actual majority.

I was surprised when Shenmue and Shenmue II became a dominating force in the "Best SEGA Games" thread, because I hadn't seen a lot of these people voting for it in other Shenmue threads. There's a lot more love for the series here than people think, but it isn't as hugely vocal as the detractors, or someone like me who tries to defend/promote the series.

Boke1879

Personally I don't see why this wouldn't be a thing Sega would do.

It makes sense. and HD release of the first two games with the 3rd one coming out.

Ocaso

Nothing wrong with the QTEs I think. The slow adventure-like segments are what would put off modern gamers. Presumably loading screens would be shortened and hopefully the "wait" feature from 2 would be included in 1, but there's no getting around the fact that the bulk of Shenmue 1 is talking to people and moving around a rather small town.

I'd love to play it again in HD for sure, though.

Jcgamer60

Nothing wrong with the QTEs I think. The slow adventure-like segments are what would put off modern [Adrenaline-seeking] gamers. Presumably loading screens would be shortened and hopefully the "wait" feature from 2 would be included in 1, but there's no getting around the fact that the bulk of Shenmue 1 is talking to people and moving around a rather small town.

I'd love to play it again in HD for sure, though.

I feel adventure gamers who are into point and click and story-driven games (Visual novels) wouldn't be bothered by this so much. Especially it being there first playthrough the impact of there being not much to do in Shenmue 1 won't be as drastic since there is the fascination that there is a town to explore and NPCs to follow

I wouldn't take too much of a defeatist attitude to it. There's plenty of people who caught the wave before and after Shenmue III was announced in recent years and enjoyed the games.

The people who don't like it will always absolutely have to let you know their opinion, but that doesn't mean they're the actual majority.

I was surprised when Shenmue and Shenmue II became a dominating force in the "Best SEGA Games" thread, because I hadn't seen a lot of these people voting for it in other Shenmue threads. There's a lot more love for the series here than people think, but it isn't as hugely vocal as the detractors, or someone like me who tries to defend/promote the series.

Plus is older generations are not going anywhere, and will be ready to slap these kall of dooty and gee tee ayyy lovers into shape whilst reminding them if it wasn't for Shenmue, modern day gaming wouldn't be where it is right now.

Spaghetti

Plus is older generations are not going anywhere, and will be ready to slap these kall of dooty and gee tee ayyy lovers into shape whilst reminding them if it wasn't for Shenmue, modern day gaming wouldn't be where it is right now.
Hahaha. Didn't you tell me you quite liked CoD4, Pete? I suppose even that's an "old" game now, though.

Spaghetti

I feel adventure gamers who are into point and click and story-driven games (Visual novels) wouldn't be bothered by this so much. Especially it being there first playthrough the impact of there being not much to do in Shenmue 1 won't be as drastic since there is the fascination that there is a town to explore and NPCs to follow
I think you've got it kinda right that fascination is going to play a big part in attracting people to the series.

It's still a uniquely detailed and intimate experience that can carry the super-slow burn of the original's opening hours at least up until the injection of mystery in Disk 2, or action-heavy tilt of Disk 3.

I think even in some cases where players aren't 100% on-board with what the original does, Shenmue II can reel them in by being the bigger, and better game.

Jcgamer60

I think you've got it kinda right that fascination is going to play a big part in attracting people to the series.

It's still a uniquely detailed and intimate experience that can carry the super-slow burn of the original's opening hours at least up until the injection of mystery in Disk 2, or action-heavy tilt of Disk 3.

I think even in some cases where players aren't 100% on-board with what the original does, Shenmue II can reel them in by being the bigger, and better game.

I personally prefer Shenmue 1 since it has a more intimate feel where everyone knows each other, but I agree with you that Shenmue 2 is a better 'game' per se.

I'm on edge of those weirdos who backed Shenmue III (and for $60) even though I've never touched any shenmue game before just because I've been hearing about it for ages. I hope they do release 1 and 2 in Remaster form or I'll never get to play them.

Bloodstained when, tho?

Seiryoden

Odd that people aren't more aware of the games' deep and intricate fighting mechanics. The last hours of Shenmue 2 are basically The Raid: The Game.

Spaghetti

I personally prefer Shenmue 1 since it has a more intimate feel where everyone knows each other, but I agree with you that Shenmue 2 is a better 'game' per se.
Mm. One of my hopes for Shenmue III is to split the difference in that respect. Actually, I know it'll split the difference considering one of the key new mechanics is developing a relationship with Shenhua over the course of the game.

That said, I think Shenmue II is generally more intimate than people think. You've got quirky NPCs like the dueling butchers, the palm reader who gets a crush on Ryo, the shopkeeper who likes to take photos of... buff young men..., and you've got the optional and non-optional side-characters that you can choose to say goodbye to when leaving Hong Kong. It's a different level of intimacy, I guess, and I think it works as a good foil for the fish out of water story of II.

-----

As an aside, this seems as good a place as any to plug the Shenmue Dojo's music livestream which will be running until E3.

Top Bottom