• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

I wouldn't take too much of a defeatist attitude to it. There's plenty of people who caught the wave before and after Shenmue III was announced in recent years and enjoyed the games.

The people who don't like it will always absolutely have to let you know their opinion, but that doesn't mean they're the actual majority.

I was surprised when Shenmue and Shenmue II became a dominating force in the "Best SEGA Games" thread, because I hadn't seen a lot of these people voting for it in other Shenmue threads. There's a lot more love for the series here than people think, but it isn't as hugely vocal as the detractors, or someone like me who tries to defend/promote the series.

I know - I'm not saying it will be the majority of players, just that I think there are a substantial number of players (some posting in this thread) who supported III having never played the first 2, just on the wave of positivity and the fact that it meant the a conclusion for a painfully and famously unfinished magnum opus in the medium. I think a number of players are going to fire it up, note that a lot of what Shenmue innovated laid groundwork for things we see in many modern games, and conclude that it is has aged poorly etc. That may even be a supportable position. I just think there will be a bit of a Shenmue Backlash.

Ha! Shenmue III bandwagoner outed!
loooool I had video trailers of the first game before it came out that had the term flash on the screen as Quick Time Event, don't give me that bullshit. They also called the game's genre Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment in the same trailer.

My copy of the Dreamcast game that I bought upon release is sitting in front of me right now too.

EDIT: And it looks like they had a typo in the manual where it does say Quick Timer Event. Never noticed that. But the video promos and literally every other mention of them back then did call them Quick Time Events.

Spaghetti

I know - I'm not saying it will be the majority of players, just that I think there are a substantial number of players (some posting in this thread) who supported III having never played the first 2, just on the wave of positivity and the fact that it meant the a conclusion for a painfully and famously unfinished magnum opus in the medium. I think a number of players are going to fire it up, note that a lot of what Shenmue innovated laid groundwork for things we see in many modern games, and conclude that it is has aged poorly etc. That may even be a supportable position. I just think there will be a bit of a Shenmue Backlash.
Oh undoubtedly.

But y'know, I'm just noting that there's more love for it than a lot of people think (see: the double record breaking Kickstarter), and that it's not impossible to still love/like even with its age. What Shenmue falls down on is arguably the same stuff that hobbled it on release, but the bright spots have personally only grown brighter with age because very few games have attempted to do the same.

There's also bound to be some modernisation in there that will make the ride easier regardless. Worst case scenario is watching the digest movie of the original and skipping to II if the pacing just isn't clicking.

I would want to think backers who didn't play the original games at least liked the sound of what Shenmue was before putting their money down, though.

I don't remember completely now, but I think chapter 2 was cut (it was inside the ship to Hong Kong) and Shenmue 2 goes from 3 to 5.
Trying to figure out the chapters stuff in Shenmue leads to madness. Trust me.

Best to just go by what the notepad says in-game and that Shenmue II goes through chapter 2, 3, and 4, even though on the 11 chapter artwork plan it goes partly through chapter 5, which is cut down from the original 16 chapter novel and... see what I mean?

Chapter 2 was released as a manga. I think it was an extra in the xbox release of Shenmue 2.

Correct. It will be interesting to see if Shenmue 3 acknowledges the fight on the boat between Chai and Ryo considering that
Chai is in Shenmue 3 and doesn't appear in Shenmue 2 anywhere.

loooool I had video trailers of the first game before it came out that had the term flash on the screen as Quick Time Event, don't give me that bullshit. They also called the game's genre Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment in the same trailer.

My copy of the Dreamcast game that I bought upon release is sitting in front of me right now too.

EDIT: And it looks like they had a typo in the manual where it does say Quick Timer Event. Never noticed that. But the video promos and literally every other mention of them back then did call them Quick Time Events.

Keeping digging!

Dbus0fS.png

Correct. It will be interesting to see if Shenmue 3 acknowledges the fight on the boat between Chai and Ryo considering that
Chai is in Shenmue 3 and doesn't appear in Shenmue 2 anywhere.

Flashback!

kc44135

Um, so, were these games actually good? Honest question, as I've never played them, and have no idea what type of games they even are. I might be interested in playing remasters them though, if only to see what they hype is all about with Shenmue 3.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn should I sell my near mint 1&2 PAL now or later to maximize "profits"? I'm no longer really a collector beside portable consoles, and while I do love them dearly I could use the cash *IF* a new, improved version is coming out
especially if that also includes the chance of a Switch release happening

vanty

Um, so, were these games actually good? Honest question, as I've never played them, and have no idea what type of games they even are. I might be interested in playing remasters them though, if only to see what they hype is all about with Shenmue 3.
2 is good, the original​ is more just interesting I'd say.

A product of their time, they were groundbreaking, paving the way for almost every open world game today. The first console game to have fully fledged NPCs, each with their own voice actor and place to live in the city. They also had a job during the day. The music was composed and performed with a live orchestra, the development techniques used had never been seen before.

If you play it today, through 20 years worth of tinted glasses, you will need to have time set aside to sit back, and appreciate what this game is. It takes you on a journey like no other game, and HD remasters wold go a long way to help bring in a new audience to appreciate that.

liquidtmd

Banned

If you like games where sometimes it's about atmosphere over the more gameplay related technicalities, and you allow it sweep over you it's glorious.

ianpm31

The feeling of playing Shenmue in it's time on the dreamcast in early 2000's was magical. No game has come close to that. I remember picking it up randomly on my birthday just by looking at the back of the cover and turned out to be the greatest birthday present ever!

liquidtmd

Banned
The feeling of playing Shenmue in it's time on the dreamcast in early 2000's was magical. No game has come close to that

I remember playing Shenmue one Christmas around release.

Snow was falling outside, and also in game. I spent days wandering around town and it was indeed just magical. It was a life memory more than a game. Rose tinted nostalgia? Maybe. But it's atmosphere is superb.

Geeky

A product of their time, they were groundbreaking, paving the way for almost every open world game today. The first console game to have fully fledged NPCs, each with their own voice actor and place to live in the city. They also had a job during the day. The music was composed and performed with a live orchestra, the development techniques used had never been seen before.

If you play it today, through 20 years worth of tinted glasses, you will need to have time set aside to sit back, and appreciate what this game is. It takes you on a journey like no other game, and HD remasters wold go a long way to help bring in a new audience to appreciate that.

Yea. You had to be there to get a sense of it.

Shenmue really concentrated on the micro as opposed to the macro.

Shenmue 2 was especially wowing since you really had to interact with the people to get around the world. Some would tell you which way to go to get to your destination or would even offer to take you there and you just followed.

In this day where everything is just tacked onto a mini-map it still really stands out. And in most games today if you don't have that mini-map open you are SOL.

Nzyme32

I find the whole reaction, speculation and begging to be ridiculous. It's the most obvious this to happen in a long time, as I've said since the success of the kickstarter. It will happen, the simple question is when. With the current roll of Sega PC ports, it would be no surprise at all for an announcement in the near future whether E3 or otherwise.

liquidtmd

Banned
I find the whole reaction, speculation and begging to be ridiculous. It's the most obvious this to happen in a long time, as I've said since the success of the kickstarter. It will happen, the simple question is when. With the current roll of Sega PC ports, it would be no surprise at all for an announcement in the near future whether E3 or otherwise.

True, but this HD Collection and ports have been speculated for a long assed time.

Rumour mill suggested they were done and dusted for the 360. Forgive the disbelief.

ianpm31

Snow was falling outside, and also in game. I spent days wandering around town and it was indeed just magical. It was a life memory more than a game. Rose tinted nostalgia? Maybe. But it's atmosphere is superb.

Definitely a life memory for me too. Shenmue means more to me than just a game. It was an experience like none other.

kc44135

2 is good, the original​ is more just interesting I'd say.

If you like games where sometimes it's about atmosphere over the more gameplay related technicalities, and you allow it sweep over you it's glorious.

Hmm, these games actually do sound quite interesting me. Additionally, I do have the ability to appreciate games for their time. I regularly play older games, and am a big-time retro gamer. Hopefully, Shenmue remastered will be a thing in the near future.

_Ryo_

Can we just be happy that theres a chance of Shenmue remasters this year and stop arguing the correct name for QTEs?

Yes. 2 is amazing. One of the best games I've ever played. I played/beat it for the first time a year or so ago.

I've never beaten 1, maybe with a re-release...

Hmm, these games actually do sound quite interesting me. Additionally, I do have the ability to appreciate games for their time. I regularly play older games, and am a big-time retro gamer. Hopefully, Shenmue remastered will be a thing in the near future.

This is the "making of" Shenmue. It was record by Japanese TV studio NHK and it was finally subtitled by Switch at the Dojo.
In it, you can see great scenes, like the development team watching the demo of their rivals Sony and Final Fantasy. Also how strict Yu Suzuki was with the developers, as well as generating brand new algorithms for various parts of the game. It was so rare to get camera into Segas development studio so it's a great watch

https://youtu.be/YbrSmqnegIk

As much as I'd love to play it on Xbone for the achievos I'd much prefer it on Switch for portability reasons.

Shenmue 3 is on Unreal 4 Engine right? Isn't the game a "timed" PS4 exclusive? Maybe a Switch port after the timed deal is up is a real option, with how easy it's supposed to be to port games to the Switch using that engine.

Exactly the same feeling I get. Its the only thing on this planet that manages to invoke that Xmas feeling for me these days (I'm a real scrooge around the season otherwise!). The atmosphere has never been matched for me (Yakuza has sorta come close at times), and to this day its still my favourite use of snow in games - having it start snowing at the end of one day, wake up the next with the town covered in a beautiful layer of snow, and then watch it melt over the next few days. I've still yet to see another game do something like this.

Theonik

Shenmue 3 is on Unreal 4 Engine right? Isn't the game a "timed" PS4 exclusive? Maybe a Switch port after the timed deal is up is a real option, with how easy it's supposed to be to port games to the Switch using that engine.
We have no idea about what kind of deal Sony has for this game, whether it is timed or whether it even requires it to be exclusive or not.

Do not assume the engine makes porting to the switch easier though. The team making this game is quite small and so resources to make this extra ports are quite scarce. There is also the question of whether the game can be effectively scaled down to work on the Switch.

gfxtwin

Code Veronica...Crazy Taxi...Jet Set Radio...Sonic Adventure...now Shenmue. Daddy only needs remasters or ports of Marvel vs Capcom original and Ecco the Dolphin and he can revisit all his favorite dreamcast games on current gen hardware.

We have no idea about what kind of deal Sony has for this game, whether it is timed or whether it even requires it to be exclusive or not.

Do not assume the engine makes porting to the switch easier though. The team making this game is quite small and so resources to make this extra ports are quite scarce. There is also the question of whether the game can be effectively scaled down to work on the Switch.

The Snake Pass team using the Engine said it was pretty easy and only took a couple of days work. I wouldn't assume anything. Only going by what they said. I know nothing about how that shit works, lol.

Spaghetti

The answer to this question will vary on who you ask, so it largely depends on you and your tastes if you'll actually enjoy it. If you hate it, you'll hate it with a passion, but if you love it, it's kind of a game that'll stick with you forever. It's very rare to find a fence-sitting opinion on Shenmue.

I'm going to use Shenmue II as the primary example, mainly because it's a better game, but also because it's the best representation of what Shenmue was meant to be in the first place before SEGA split the title so they could get a killer app for the Dreamcast sooner.

In short, they're story based, semi-open world, life-sim action RPGs with fighting game elements. I know that sounds nuts, but that's actually a pretty accurate description. They're centered around an extraordinary story in an ordinary world, so while you're searching for your father's mysterious killer while honing your Kung Fu skills, you're also going to have to hold down a part time job to pay your rent. I'm not even kidding*.

The gameplay kind of follows the same pattern. When you're not fighting off thugs or chasing down a street thief with vital information about someone you're looking for, you're asking for directions to make your way around the city or just wasting some time in the arcade playing video games.

It doesn't have its foot on the pedal constantly despite being a martial arts revenge story at heart, and that's part of why it is a unique experience that other games have yet to rival. It exists in this underutilised space between a balls to the wall action game and a heavily narrative-driven game, all contained within highly detailed interpretations of 80s Japan, Hong Kong, the infamous Kowloon walled city, and rural Southern China.

If that sounds even remotely up your street, it's worth a shot at trying someday.

*In II, not paying your rent has no immediate repercussions, but does provoke a very minor joke on the player much later in the game.

OléGunner;236859108 said:
Thanks for the info guys, seems the similarities are more surface level in that the world is small and there's mini games etc
Very interested in a potential HD remaster of the Shenmue games, I'm a little tired of massive open worlds, especially those executed by the numbers. Hence my enjoyment a lot of Yakuza 0.

When Yakuza first came out on PS2, it at first appeared to me that it might be like the Shenmue games (which I loved). People told me over and over that it wasn't. And heard this again as the series went on. So I didn't touch the Yakuza games. Then finally like 3 years ago I decided to give them a shot. I absolutely loved the Yakuza games and had to go on and play them all. I regretted listening to them.

And I love them for a lot of the same reasons I love the Shenmue games. They are epic martial arts RPGs with great stories, martial arts fighting/bravado, and smaller intricate open worlds. They are not similar in every way, but they are more similar than some like to admit for some reason. They are more similar to each other than they are to any other game. And it's pretty obvious that Shenmue was the inspiration for Yakuza. So if you think you want to go even in that general direction and you like one, then try the other.

Shenmue has in general a more laid back and lackadaisical feel, and is less aggressive than Yakuza (which you might expect.) However you can turn Yakuza into something sort of more like that out of the main story with Yakuza's myriad of side quests and activities. Shenmue is more linear without much side stuff.

kc44135

This is the "making of" Shenmue. It was record by Japanese TV studio NHK and it was finally subtitled by Switch at the Dojo.
In it, you can see great scenes, like the development team watching the demo of their rivals Sony and Final Fantasy. Also how strict Yu Suzuki was with the developers, as well as generating brand new algorithms for various parts of the game. It was so rare to get camera into Segas development studio so it's a great watch

https://youtu.be/YbrSmqnegIk
There was actually some pretty cool stuff in, there. Thx!
The answer to this question will vary on who you ask, so it largely depends on you and your tastes if you'll actually enjoy it. If you hate it, you'll hate it with a passion, but if you love it, it's kind of a game that'll stick with you forever. It's very rare to find a fence-sitting opinion on Shenmue.

I'm going to use Shenmue II as the primary example, mainly because it's a better game, but also because it's the best representation of what Shenmue was meant to be in the first place before SEGA split the title so they could get a killer app for the Dreamcast sooner.

In short, they're story based, semi-open world, life-sim action RPGs with fighting game elements. I know that sounds nuts, but that's actually a pretty accurate description. They're centered around an extraordinary story in an ordinary world, so while you're searching for your father's mysterious killer while honing your Kung Fu skills, you're also going to have to hold down a part time job to pay your rent. I'm not even kidding*.

The gameplay kind of follows the same pattern. When you're not fighting off thugs or chasing down a street thief with vital information about someone you're looking for, you're asking for directions to make your way around the city or just wasting some time in the arcade playing video games.

It doesn't have its foot on the pedal constantly despite being a martial arts revenge story at heart, and that's part of why it is a unique experience that other games have yet to rival. It exists in this underutilised space between a balls to the wall action game and a heavily narrative-driven game, all contained within highly detailed interpretations of 80s Japan, Hong Kong, the infamous Kowloon walled city, and rural Southern China.

If that sounds even remotely up your street, it's worth a shot at trying someday.

*In II, not paying your rent has no immediate repercussions, but does provoke a very minor joke on the player much later in the game.
This sounds like something I would love.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
First played Shenmue about 3 1/2 years ago, so I had no nostalgia for it, yet despite that It still holds up today, voice acting aside. It's a brilliant game with insane attention to detail. Looking forward to this more than Shenmue III as I don't know how that will turn out, as an indie game with a budget after all.

That said, I think Shenmue II is generally more intimate than people think. You've got quirky NPCs like the dueling butchers, the palm reader who gets a crush on Ryo, the shopkeeper who likes to take photos of... buff young men...
I've played 2 quite a few times and NEVER heard of these.

Top Bottom