• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

Ah ok. You must be his favorite person for the rest of his life. Haha.

He's a great guy, the pleasure was absolutely all mine to have his company there.

Nice Tattoos tbh.

My avatar is a cropped version of Suzuki-san enjoying me showing off my Shenmue tattoo at his request.

14310306_10154549592272269_727730197346372786_o.jpg

As a superfan, based on his expression in that pic what he saw must have been jaw-droppingly amazing!!

dpc7Sax.gif

My avatar is a cropped version of Suzuki-san enjoying me showing off my Shenmue tattoo at his request.

14310306_10154549592272269_727730197346372786_o.jpg

I've always wondered what creators of entertainment think when they meet such passionate fans as yourself - like is it touching to Suzuki-san that someone would get the Shenmue kanji tattooed on their arm?

I would, if I were a director :)

Gromber

Neo Member
Oh, it's real... :)

please add to the remasters the spanish fantranslation of both games created by tiovictor, is a professional and i think could be great talk to him and reach a deal. Shenmue 3 will have Spanish subs.

i want to play the remasters with japanese voices, alternative new control, and of course 16/9, antialiasing, new textures, effects etc :)

SMG

nothing beyond the KS rewards - some campaigns let you purchase those things later, though

Thanks, I am already in for 160 so I'm getting some stuff. Just making sure I wasn't missing out on some limited time stuff. As what happened with a cool Ryo figure that sold out way before I knew it existed.

Spaghetti

So, this seems as good a place as any to plug today's edition of the Shenmue Dojo's weekly ongoing livestream of Shenmue II - played by ShenmueGuru on Twitch. We're just past the starting point of the Kowloon section currently, and might get as far as the
planks
- so tune in for some premium, high-grade salt!

And here are some timezones for reference (GMT should be BST, but ssshhh)
b3x9mB7.png

Catching Up:

Last week's episode can be found here.

The previous episodes of the Shenmue II stream can be found here, and the Shenmue Undub playthrough we did some months ago here.

Hope to see some of you all in chat! Oh, and in case you missed it, the Shenmue Dojo is also currently doing 6-8 hour livestreams of music from the Shenmue series on the lead up to E3.

This is slightly off topic, but do we have any info on the in-game rewards for Shenmue III yet?

My face should be on a dice for the capsule machines, but I haven't been keeping a close eye on my emails. Just wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything....

Spaghetti

This is slightly off topic, but do we have any info on the in-game rewards for Shenmue III yet?

My face should be on a dice for the capsule machines, but I haven't been keeping a close eye on my emails. Just wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything....
That's not been talked about yet, but keep an eye out into the Summer. That'll probably start being addressed soon as we edge towards surveys going out.

Jimrpg

You know what will be a megaton.

Vanquish gets an update on steam. Inside the avatar folder - a Ryo avatar.

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD $20 4k uncapped fps June 2017 etc etc

I wrote that. Stewart Gilray's comments here only gave me an opportunity to write about Shenmue HD...

There is stuff going on behind the scenes when it comes to Shenmue HD. Believe me.

But with publishing articles 3 weeks before E3, are you not worried people will be upset if there are no HD announcements during E3?

Gamezone

Gold Member
But with publishing articles 3 weeks before E3, are you not worried people will be upset if there are no HD announcements during E3?

If Shenmue HD doesn`t get announced before or at E3, I`m about to give up on SEGA. I`ll just be waiting for Shenmue 3, and that`s fine.

Spaghetti

From what I remember Sega looked into the remakes before, but there were issues with some of the technology rights?
No. At least, those issues do not exist currently - if they ever did at all.

The story of Shenmue HD is a fairly long and winding one so I'll get to the gist of my point; if licencing rights on technology were the problem SEGA would not have even approached talking about Shenmue HD like they did last year, because it may have prohibited the game being rereleased at all and would have just given a "no comment" response until solved.

The source of the technology licencing rumour was a single post on GAF that got passed around and used as a source by gaming blogs/outlets, and was never substantiated beyond that.

It's better to just accept the comments from SEGA last year as they stand.

Backflip

One, I don't work for SEGA. And two, I didn't say in the article that the game will be shown at E3. If SEGA doesn't show it at E3, people will have no reason to be upset with me.

I've heard things about Shenmue HD for a few months. I have no idea when SEGA will announce it though. Even though it would seem logical to announce it during E3, it's not guaranteed.

One, I don't work for SEGA. And two, I didn't say in the article that the game will be shown at E3. If SEGA doesn't show it at E3, people will have no reason to be upset with me.

I've heard things about Shenmue HD for a few months. I have no idea when SEGA will announce it though. Even though it would seem logical to announce it during E3, it's not guaranteed.

One, where did I even imply you worked for Sega. It's pretty clear you are a game journalist.

Two, it's quite clear that releasing these articles weeks before E3 has the intention to get people excited and give hints as to what's coming.

But in the usual modern day "journalism" you are publishing, you are denying everything just to cover your back. So if there is an announcement, you can say wink wink, told ya so. BUT, at the same time, if nothing is announced, people cannot assert blame since you, "didn't say this... I have no idea..." Blah blah blah.

It's everything that's wrong with modern day gaming journalism. The whole hype culture, and whipping people up into a frenzy all for the overall purpose of subscriptions and likes, yet denying any responsibility for the initial generation of hype created in the first place, when readers/followers are left disappointed.

Spaghetti

I believe the problem with this is the endless teasing over it. At some point the "oh it might be coming" vagueness gets old; especially when that's all anything multiple sources of these comments can say.

If nobody is going to divulge more details than that because of breaking NDA or exposing an inside connection, fine. Totally respect that, and I honestly believe that's the right thing to do. But - we've had enough nods and winks about Shenmue HD from sites reporting inside sources that it's pointless to add to the pile unless you have more to offer; especially when it's this close to E3.

Backflip

One, where did I even imply you worked for Sega. It's pretty clear you are a game journalist.

Two, it's quite clear that releasing these articles weeks before E3 has the intention to get people excited and give hints as to what's coming.

But in the usual modern day "journalism" you are publishing, you are denying everything just to cover your back. So if there is an announcement, you can say wink wink, told ya so. BUT, at the same time, if nothing is announced, people cannot assert blame since you, "didn't say this... I have no idea..." Blah blah blah.

It's everything that's wrong with modern day gaming journalism. The whole hype culture, and whipping people up into a frenzy all for the overall purpose of subscriptions and likes, yet denying any responsibility for the initial generation of hype created in the first place, when readers/followers are left disappointed.

No need to be so agressive and use quotation marks when using the word journalist. I'm a huge Shenmue fan (dropped 250 dollars on the Kickstarter) and have been frustrated by SEGA's way of doing (or rather not doing) things just like everybody else.

I haven't teased anything on Gameblog. I deemed Stewart Gilray's post on here newsworthy enough to talk about it. That's it. I know that can get people's hopes up but Shenmue fans should really know better by now.

As said before, I've heard stuff about Shenmue HD for a few months but the announcement date was never mentionned. Besides, as we all know, plans change all the time. What is true today might not be true tomorrow.

PrinceKee

This better happen. I never finished 2 and would love to finish it before Shen mue 3. I have the Xbox version and it's BC on the 360 so maybe I'll play that. But, a rerelease is a no brainer with the 3rd coming soon. So many gamers aren't familiar with the franchise and this would be a way to hype up the release and get them caught up. I know they'll do another recap movie, but playing the old games is ideal...

One, I don't work for SEGA. And two, I didn't say in the article that the game will be shown at E3.

No need to be so agressive and use quotation marks when using the word journalist. I'm a huge Shenmue fan (dropped 250 dollars on the Kickstarter) and have been frustrated by SEGA's way of doing (or rather not doing) things just like everybody else.

This response to a simple question i asked primarily, certainly seemed agressive. I was just replying in kind.

I haven't teased anything on Gameblog. I deemed Stewart Gilray's post on here newsworthy enough to talk about it. That's it. I know that can get people's hopes up but Shenmue fans should really know better by now.

As said before, I've heard stuff about Shenmue HD for a few months but the announcement date was never mentionned. Besides, as we all know, plans change all the time. What is true today might not be true tomorrow.

Not for Gameblog, which is a clever way of putting it, but your Twitter feed certainly has its fair share of teases,hints and whatnot.

Either way, despite hearing things, you are just hypothisizing like the rest of us, or you have been told information that you cant say, but with alluding to it, i would be too happy if i was your source, for telling you something in confidence, only to go tease it on the internet.

Backflip

This response to a simple question i asked primarily, certainly seemed agressive. I was just replying in kind.

Not for Gameblog, which is a clever way of putting it, but your Twitter feed certainly has its fair share of teases,hints and whatnot.

Either way, despite hearing things, you are just hypothisizing like the rest of us, or you have been told information that you cant say, but with alluding to it, i would be too happy if i was your source, for telling you something in confidence, only to go tease it on the internet.

I just wish I could say more than I have so far. When the game is announced, I will explain why I was so vague.

Does Shenmue 3 have a late 2017 release?

When it was announced 2 e3s ago, I believe they said 2017. Not that I want it out this year, I prefer they take their time.

Kiske

Does Shenmue 3 have a late 2017 release?

When it was announced 2 e3s ago, I believe they said 2017. Not that I want it out this year, I prefer they take their time.

The targeted release date is December 2017.

Altough a delay cannot be excluded, the game is on track according to latest Cédric Biscay comments.

Top Bottom