• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

Yohane

14310306_10154549592272269_727730197346372786_o.jpg

Amazing pic!

schaft0620

Does Shenmue 3 have a late 2017 release?

When it was announced 2 e3s ago, I believe they said 2017. Not that I want it out this year, I prefer they take their time.

I just don't think they can make a great "next gen" Shenmue game publicly funded from top to bottom in 2 years. If the game is still on track I would be worried. However, I would be more than OK if the main story was 10 hours long.

Freddo

Does Shenmue 3 have a late 2017 release?

When it was announced 2 e3s ago, I believe they said 2017. Not that I want it out this year, I prefer they take their time.
I never trusted the December 2017 release. All kickstarter games are released later than they initially plan. I'm guessing it's Summer 2018 as earliest, but it will probably be released later than that still.

I'm trying to be positive but at the same time I'm using the positivity to hide behind a wall of cynicism. I must have several layers to protect myself in case of disappointment. I'm rooting for Shenmue HD and III trailer at E3.

Spaghetti

Is anyone going through Vanquish with a fine tooth comb for clues?
The Vanquish tease wasn't there on release in the Bayonetta files, it was added via patch. I dunno if SEGA would do the same tease again anyway.

I never trusted the December 2017 release. All kickstarter games are released later than they initially plan. I'm guessing it's Summer 2018 as earliest, but it will probably be released later than that still.
They're sticking to December 2017 all the same. It'll be the release window riiiiiiight up until the point it isn't. They deserve the benefit of the doubt for now, though. YSnet may have a touch of that AM2 magic about it.

And by magic, I mean crazy hours and a strong work ethic. At least Yu doesn't ask other staff to do something he wouldn't do. He's reportedly the first one at the studio in the morning, and the last one to leave. That's if he leaves and doesn't sleep at the office. Dude is nearly 60 too.

----------------

Eh, anyway. It's Thursday so I'm just gonna give a little shout out to the Shenmue Dojo's Shenmue II stream like I did last week. The stream continues today at 1PM PT/3PM CT/4PM ET/9PM BST.

So what's new?

Well, for the first time they're doing a test of streaming to Twitch and YouTube for this week to see how it goes, and if it goes without many hitches, it will be how they broadcast their special E3 stream on the 12th of June. There will be more to say about that in the coming weeks, but there's no better place to celebrate the second anniversary of Shenmue III getting announced.

For this week though, they'll be continuing through Disk 3 of Shenmue II, but there's also going to be a little special video of a pretty obscure thing in the game before the playthrough starts. Definitely something for the super fans.

Anyway, links again:

YouTube
Twitch

Last weeks stream

&

Shenmue Undub playlist
Shenmue II playlist

im willing to get irrationally excited about this rumor. don't let me down everyone!

i would be perfectly happy if III were delayed in order to improve it. we have been waiting, what, 16 years? i can keep waiting now that i know its coming.

Spaghetti

Either SEGA will announce it on their own time, or we're looking at PSX now; which would mean a 2018 release unless they literally do a "available now!".

Throws a lot of cold water on the rumours that state a remaster is done already if they didn't announce it at E3, but they always seemed kinda suspect anyway.

ArjanN

Either SEGA will announce it on their own time, or we're looking at PSX now; which would mean a 2018 release unless they literally do a "available now!".

Throws a lot of cold water on the rumours that state a remaster is done already if they didn't announce it at E3, but they always seemed kinda suspect anyway.

Eh, there's a reason they didn't do the Bayonetta or Vanquish announcements at E3 either, it's not big enough to get onto the main stage, and it's probably likely to get more attention away from E3.

J2 Cool

I doubt we'll ever get Shenmue remasters, just seems tied up in too much complication and too much work.. Which puts the future of a possible Shenmue 4 ever, in jeopardy unfortunately.

Spaghetti

Eh, there's a reason they didn't do the Bayonetta or Vanquish announcements at E3 either, it's not big enough to get onto the main stage, and it's probably likely to get more attention away from E3.
I'm not sure Bayonetta or Vanquish are good comparisons to make. Shenmue had a very big, very public revival in 2015 with a lot of curiosity about remasters.

I was 50/50 on whether it'd make E3 or not, but I think it does deserve more fanfare than the Platinum PC ports because of the circumstances and bombast of Shenmue III's announcement.

Spaghetti

Dat pointless bump.

Yeah, I'm up for believing it'll be PSX. I think it fits quite well there.
Sure, certainly a possibility. A grassroots fan-oriented event seems like a good place for the pin to finally be pulled.

Shenmue III being there too would be an excellent double-whammy. That may become a more/less likely prospect depending on what YSnet say in next week's Kickstarter update about elaborating on the 2018 release date.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
where are my remasters?

C'mon, man. That had to be intentional!

Sure, certainly a possibility. A grassroots fan-oriented event seems like a good place for the pin to finally be pulled.

Shenmue III being there too would be an excellent double-whammy. That may become a more/less likely prospect depending on what YSnet say in next week's Kickstarter update about elaborating on the 2018 release date.

The question is: Does Sega really care enough and can they be convinced to care enough? I'm not so sure sometimes.

mike4001_

It's Sega. It was always a long shot.

They'd just make them mobile or some shit anyways.

I think they just have to do it if they want a chance to break even with Shenmue III.

Unless this is a complete budget title they cannot make money from this one with just the old fans. They are loud but not that many ;-)

Top Bottom