• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

I'm curious what an HD remaster of these games would entail. The texture detail and variety was by far the most impressive thing at the time, and still holds up as the most cohesive thing about the series now. Tweaking that would require a lot of work to get right, and I imagine the game could look a bit... strange with just slightly cleaner textures with all the low-poly models and stiff animations still present.

Never, ever played Shenmue unfortunately. I know that among fans there's a Burning passion and a fondness that will never leave them, but i'm looking forward to trying this even though i'm concerned that it might be dated by 2017 Sandbox standards.

Can anyone for this Title being playable in 2017, or am i right in feeling this might be one of those games influenced by nostalgia & the magic had to be experienced in '99 to appreciate it?

LiK

I'm curious what an HD remaster of these games would entail. The texture detail and variety was by far the most impressive thing at the time, and still holds up as the most cohesive thing about the series now. Tweaking that would require a lot of work to get right, and I imagine the game could look a bit... strange with just slightly cleaner textures with all the low-poly models and stiff animations still present.

maybe just sharper resolution but i also hope they give it modern controls and make the game load faster.

Desmond

I've been mulling over buying a Japanese dreamcast, as I'd prefer not to play with the English dub. Any chance this or Shenmue 3 will have dual audio?

Omikaru

I would settle for the originals in 16:9 1080p.

If I felt Sega were more ambitious about a HD remaster, I'd like them to tinker with the games a bit. Maybe add some of Shenmue II's quality of life features to Shenmue I, put dual audio, add some more toys/models from some of Sega's new IP, add more arcade/console games to the system and tighten up the controls. Maybe even re-record the dialogue, but that may be too much.

Atlus and Sega have nothing to do with Shenmue 3, right? I don't see how this would affect it's development, unless they have Ys Net working on it?

Guaranteed release for PS4/PC, maybe a slight chance for Switch. Zero chance for Xbone.

Shenmue 2 was on the original Xbox but I agree, if Shenmue 3 isn't coming to Xbox One then I don't know why Shenmue 1 and 2 would. I hope it comes to Switch, imagine playing through Shenmue on a long plane ride.,

Omikaru

Atlus and Sega have nothing to do with Shenmue 3, right? I don't see how this would affect it's development, unless they have Ys Net working on it?
Shenmue III is Ys Net only. But it is still Sega's IP, so maybe their American branch has decided to get more involved in it. I'm not sure Ys Net would turn down support in the form of marketing, localisation, distribution and such. Especially from Atlus USA, who have considerable strengths in this area.

Budi

I assume this would be a PC release too? Since the third game is coming to PC too. Never played these but kickstarted the third one, so looking forward to these.

Edit: Oh it's in the link, just read it.

Shenmue III is Ys Net only. But it is still Sega's IP, so maybe their American branch has decided to get more involved in it. I'm not sure Ys Net would turn down support in the form of marketing, localisation, distribution and such. Especially from Atlus USA, who have considerable strengths in this area.

Yeah, that's a good point. I thought Sony was helping with publishing, but this being Ys Net only is a big task

Jimrpg

2 Shenmue games and 2 Yakuza games in 2017. Amazing.

Def day 1.

I played Shenmue 2 over the holiday break and was impressed how much it held up.

openrob

giphy.gif

openrob

Switch please!

Let me walk around aimlessly while i Wii around aimlessly.
Xzibit.jpg

forgive me if I don't know my shenmue but doesn't shenmue=episode 1, and shenmue 2 = episodes 2-4?

Consider them 'chapters' which cover different areas. S1 is in one location, S2 over several and overall is much larger.

I'm curious what an HD remaster of these games would entail.

https://youtu.be/g7cjDaOQpB0

https://youtu.be/jpzRBC5zvaI

All in Unreal Engine.

Yu Suzuki was impressed by this and hired Nocon Kid, the creator of this, to work on Shenmue 3

Maybe I'm ignorant due to the gratuitous usage of the term "remaster" nowadays, but I'd think by HD Remaster they the original graphics rendered in HD. As dated as the games look now, I don't expect Sega to change anything of them (nor do I want them to).

The thing that makes this a little more unbelievable is the PC exclusive thing. Other than that, I think Shenmue 1&2 HD is a very real possibility.

smuf

I've been mulling over buying a Japanese dreamcast, as I'd prefer not to play with the English dub. Any chance this or Shenmue 3 will have dual audio?

You don't need to get a Japanese Dreamcast, there's bootdisks to make your US/PAL Dreamcast boot Japanese games. There are also fanmade relases that inject the Japanese audio into the English version (so you get Japanese voices but English subs).

N.A

Banned
Never, ever played Shenmue unfortunately. I know that among fans there's a Burning passion and a fondness that will never leave them, but i'm looking forward to trying this even though i'm concerned that it might be dated by 2017 Sandbox standards.

Can anyone for this Title being playable in 2017, or am i right in feeling this might be one of those games influenced by nostalgia & the magic had to be experienced in '99 to appreciate it?

Shenmue 1 has aged poorly. That game is all about getting lost in it's world and that's much harder to do in 2017. Shenmue II has aged much better, it's still fun, has much more action and a better story and characters. And the last section of that game is still really unique.

Charamiwa

Banned

They need to tweak the controls for them to work on a twin stick configuration. And redo the english VA. And add the quality of life improvement of Shenmue 2 into Shenmue 1.

That's the 3 main things they need to do imo. The texture work isn't that big of a deal, as you say, it still looks good anyway.

Lucumo

Shenmue 2 has Japanese audio, so that works out at least.

Shenmue 1 has aged poorly. That game is all about getting lost in it's world and that's much harder to do in 2017. Shenmue II has aged much better, it's still fun, has much more action and a better story and characters. And the last section of that game is still really unique.
Completely disagree. Shenmue 1 was awesome and is awesome.

I don't doubt it's coming, if only because half the potential audience for the third game weren't even alive to play the original game when it came out, and those that did almost certainly didn't own a system that it was available on.

Metalgus

Banned
Each and every morning I open Neogaf. Each and every morning I wish to see the news of a confirmation of Shenmue HD. Today I am a little bit closer to realising this dream.

Trojan X

Banned

Don't agree with your thoughts on Shenmue 1, I'm afraid. Definitely Shenmue 2 has better action but i think shenmue 1 is a more immersive game.

The thing that makes this a little more unbelievable is the PC exclusive thing. Other than that, I think Shenmue 1&2 HD is a very real possibility.

Yeah, it's blatantly not going to be PC exclusive. The Kickstarter for Shenmue 3 was practically flat-lining halfway through until they added the PlayStation 4 physical reward (which really should've been there from the very beginning). After that, it managed to truck along quite nicely.

Point being, the Shenmue support is there for the PS crowd as well. Would be shocking to ignore it when it comes to the remasters. Especially if they want 3 to perform as best as possible.

Disagreed entirely. The first game is still probably the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had, even more so than the sequel.

Erevador

Agree with those expressing their appreciation for Shenmue 1. That game has a special intimacy and mood that no other game has. It feels like a winter of grief, full of mystery, intrigue, and loss. It is an unusual game, for me there is nothing else like it. Even the dead time spent in the arcade or wandering the town feels somehow correct and memorable.

It's the rare game (like Silent Hill 2) where the very mood and atmosphere creates a unique headspace in the player that is still memorable years later. It leaves you with a strong sense memory of Dobuita and the winter spent there.

A gaming masterpiece.

Trojan X

Banned
Don't know the level of the remaster but i would scream if they added more games in the arcade. Heck, i would LOVE to play Power Drift as it was made in that era!!! Actually, they shouod put virtual racing in there as timing doesn't matter as Ryo has a Sega Saturn in his house.. oh.. sega saturn emu is stable now.. the possibilities.

_Ryo_

Yep. If true, Called this. I don't think Shenmue 3 will be at E3 at all, actually. I think they'll announce Shenmue 1&2 in the same fashion they announced the Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle remasters were announced with Double Fine, and similarly how the Yakuza ports were announced with Sega.

I don't think we'll see anything Shenmue 3 until TGS or November.

N.A

Banned
Don't agree with your thoughts on Shenmue 1, I'm afraid. Definitely Shenmue 2 has better action but i think shenmue 1 is a more immersive game.

It was at it's time, I agree. There are far more obstacles for a new player to see that game in 2017 though. Unless they massively rework the controls and expose the side content better I would imagine the first game will turn a lot of players off the series. (I love the first game just as it is but just watch the giant bomb endurance run to see how new players will react to the game now)

_Ryo_

SEGA own Atlus and have given Atlus the go ahead to work on Sega related IPs.

If the remasters are true, Atlus could be the publisher.

Top Bottom