• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Shenmue 1 has aged poorly. That game is all about getting lost in it's world and that's much harder to do in 2017. Shenmue II has aged much better, it's still fun, has much more action and a better story and characters. And the last section of that game is still really unique.

I disagree. The setting of the first game still feels like a real, living place to me. It still is nice to walk around the neighborhood to see the routines or just stay in the arcade.

Nillansan

Yeah, it's blatantly not going to be PC exclusive. The Kickstarter for Shenmue 3 was practically flat-lining halfway through until they added the PlayStation 4 physical reward (which really should've been there from the very beginning). After that, it managed to truck along quite nicely.

Again, nobody said it would be PC exclusive. Also most Kickstarter campaigns lose momentum half-way through, their peaks are usually at the campaign start and end.

Again, nobody said it would be PC exclusive. Also most Kickstarter campaigns lose momentum half-way through, their peaks are usually at the campaign start and end.

I know that. What I'm saying is that the PS4 physical reward that was introduced helped the kickstarter out of a major lull halfway through.

I'm not sure I would want to replay them. As much as I loved the games, at this point I just want to play Shenmue 3 and finally get a conclusion to the story. However it would be nice to own the games on a platform that still works (my DC died years ago)
I could probably play through them again to show my wife.

I'm not sure I would want to replay them. As much as I loved the games, at this point I just want to play Shenmue 3 and finally get a conclusion to the story. However it would be nice to own the games on a platform that still works (my DC died years ago)

I don't think you're going to get a conclusion to the story with 3. Yu Suzuki said that he would have to cram too much plot in to complete the saga as a trilogy.

Ramsiege

Day yesterday! Shenmue is one of my favorite games and I never got to play 2 as it was cancelled on DC here and I never owned an Xbox.

Jcgamer60

The story will not be concluded with Shenmue 3 - according to Yu Suzuki. There may be at least another 2 games before that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
They gotta do it. Whenever I would bring up Shenmue 3 with friends they don't know wtf Shenmue is. I wouldn't expect a remaster to sell like hotcakes but at least it will help build onto the consumer base for Shenmue 3.

StereoVsn

I would love to see them bring the games (hopefully about updated) to PC and modern console(s). I do own Dreamcast versions of them but updated visuals and controls would be great.

Just like with every Shenmue 3 rumor that came before it was announced, I'm just going to nod my head and say cool if true! But I'm not getting excited until I see it officially announced.

DavidDesu

The only disappointing thing about the game as played nowadays is probably the controls. I hope they can make the controls more modern but otherwise not change a thing besides making it wide-screen and improving the textures if possible. God I want to play Shenmue 1 again and complete Shenmue 2 which I never did before.

I'd say they will be announced at E3 along with a trailer for both of the remasters, to cushion the trailer for Shenmue 3 having a 2018 date at the end of it.

Also stagger the release of Shenmue and Shenmue 2. Release Shenmue HD on the original games date (November 25th) since it's a Christmas themed game anyways, then Shenmue 2 in March 2018. Not only does it keep the excitement alive and encourage both old and new fans to join the series, but also ease a bit of pressure off of YSNET to get the game done to Suzuki-sans standards.

yyr

Shenmue III is Ys Net only. But it is still Sega's IP, so maybe their American branch has decided to get more involved in it.

I hope that involvement includes the ability to import save files from I&II Remaster into III =) =) =) =)

Honestly, that was one of my favorite aspects of II: being able to take my personalized Ryo with me, right down to the capsule toy collection.

A shame that it won't be likely to hit XB1, but if III isn't there I don't see the point. Same deal with Switch, though if it's a success out of the gate, maybe the whole trilogy can be ported later. I sure wouldn't turn down portable Shenmue.

I know that. What I'm saying is that the PS4 physical reward that was introduced helped the kickstarter out of a major lull halfway through.

What reward are you referring to? I backed the game for a PS4 physical copy (and more) on day one.

Nzyme32

Said this would happen and still think it will. Working out licencing issues takes sometime, but is also quite editable should there be bigger issues. Meanwhile Shenmue itself clearly now has a definable audience thanks to the kickstarter, so Sega are much happier to move with it I'd guess

I would love this, as I've never played these games . It would also be a good way to get more interest in shenmue 3 outside of previous fans as it's not like the game will be stand alone .

Top Bottom