• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

Bizzquik

I wonder about the usage of the word "Remaster," though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sega run it at 1080p ~60fps-ish with literally no other changes or improvements made, with generic Shenmue logos filling out the sides of the image to get 'widescreen.'

And then $40 US dollars at retail.

Spaghetti

This time it's for real, right?
Until SEGA actually announce it, nothing is a given.

I wonder about the usage of the word "Remaster," though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sega run it at 1080p ~60fps-ish with literally no other changes or improvements made, with generic Shenmue logos filling out the sides of the image to get 'widescreen.'

And then $40 US dollars at retail.
In fairness to them, the most recent comments out of SEGA (their European COO, even) have been about doing it right and delivering a quality remaster, and the last round of Dreamcast ports were competent.

It'd be spitting in the eye of fans and people tangentially interested in the series to do a bad job.

Spaghetti

To be fair, Sega has a long history of that. Valkyria's probably dead again for instance.
Jury's kinda out on that one (
i fuckin' hope
), and I sorta see your point, but SEGA absolutely cannot sleep on this.

The sustained fan pressure on SEGA regarding Shenmue alone should be enough to make them shit their pants if they think they can get away releasing a sub-par remaster, or not releasing one at all. This is the same fanbase that got big enough social media metrics to make platform holders like Sony and Microsoft sit upright, and then voted resoundingly with their wallets to give nearly $7 Million to a double world-record breaking Kickstarter that wouldn't see a product release for two and a half years at least.

I don't think anybody internally at SEGA could argue that there isn't a strong chance to make money without sounding like a fucking moron at this point.

IrishNinja

we're just waiting on a date here, people! god id kill to have these on a disc, but ill take em anyway i can get em - especially if we somehow get part 1 undub

I believed the day SEGA reigstered the domain

exactly

8XR30V9.jpg

Credit to Esppiral.

Pretty sure I posted this in another Shenmue thread at some point.

ahahaha yes

orient

Neo Member
It'll be interesting to see where they go with control improvements. Shenmue II already had a few (tighter turning, Ryo's run speed is a bit slower and easier to manage), but you're always navigating realistically designed spaces in those games so the controls need to have a heavy deliberateness to them not to make navigation a fucking nightmare.

Since they're shifting the controls from digital to analog, they will have to be significantly reworked. Simply replicating the D-pad controls on an analog stick wouldn't work, or at the very least would be considered terrible by most players in 2017, because it's essentially tank controls with a persistent behind-the-character camera. In the original games you would tap left/right to make small adjustments to your direction in tight spaces, which would be horrendous on an analog stick.

They can probably get away with no free camera -- it would be considered dated and frustrate some people, but the game doesn't require it -- but if they don't come out with modern left stick controls the game will get slammed by players and critics. Think along the lines of Mass Effect or something: heavy, slow to turn but still modern. It can be done.

It will also need dual English/Japanese audio tracks or, again, prepare to be totally panned by critics. A lot us have nostalgia for the dub but many, many people do not. Audio *quality* is also of huge importance. I hope they have access to the original audio because the sampling in those Dreamcast games was very bad.

Other than that, I don't think much else will be done. 16:9, smooth performance, faster loads and improved texture rendering are a given. If they have access to original, higher-res textures then we may see some of that, but I don't think any other graphical improvements are necessary.

_Ryo_

Think they could do a full remaster of Shenmue 1 with brand new textures pretty easily.

Not likely for Shenmue 2 at all.
Unless Bluepoint games does it.

They updated the textures substantially in uncharted collection and gravity rush remastered.

Spaghetti

Since they're shifting the controls from digital to analog, they will have to be significantly reworked. Simply replicating the D-pad controls on an analog stick wouldn't work, or at the very least would be considered terrible by most players in 2017, because it's essentially tank controls with a persistent behind-the-character camera. In the original games you would tap left/right to make small adjustments to your direction in tight spaces, which would be horrendous on an analog stick.

They can probably get away with no free camera -- it would be considered dated and frustrate some people, but the game doesn't require it -- but if they don't come out with modern left stick controls the game will get slammed by players and critics. Think along the lines of Mass Effect or something: heavy, slow to turn but still modern. It can be done.
There was analogue movement in the Xbox version of Shenmue II if I remember rightly. Not sure how it worked, though. Either way we're so far removed from that release that they'll probably go back to the drawing board for a solution anyway.

Maybe they could find a way to make it work with the extra analogue stick if they decide to do no freecam outside of battles (which, IMO, is the best way to do it).

As long as they keep it heavy and deliberate, they at least won't have issues with the player getting caught on things while navigating the tighter spaces.

It will also need dual English/Japanese audio tracks or, again, prepare to be totally panned by critics. A lot us have nostalgia for the dub but many, many people do not. Audio *quality* is also of huge importance. I hope they have access to the original audio because the sampling in those Dreamcast games was very bad.
The one thing standing in the way of a dual language release for the original game that I can see, as the Shenmue Undub modders know, is that the Japanese language track would probably need additional translating for English subtitles; as there are bits of dialogue in the Japanese version with no English equivalent in the dub (plus assorted errors). It depends on if SEGA is willing to spring for that kind of treatment. If so, it might explain why the information this thread is based on comes from an unnamed source at ATLUS USA. In an ideal world, they'd do an English subtitle translation from the original Japanese from scratch.

Shenmue II should be fine either way, though. It'd be very disappointing if that was English only, because the dub sucks all life out of what is a pretty good story.

As for the audio quality, it should be improved. The Ryo voice samples used in the Sonic and All Stars Racing games were higher quality than the compressed ones used in the Dreamcast Shenmue games, so that leads me to believe they still have the high quality sound files sat in some archive. Well, unless they've lost them in the last few years, but that's very unlikely.

There was analogue movement in the Xbox version of Shenmue II if I remember rightly. Not sure how it worked, though. Either way we're so far removed from that release that they'll probably go back to the drawing board for a solution anyway.

On both the Dreamcast and Xbox versions you needed to use the D-Pad. The analogue stick was used to look around.

Either way, I really, really hope this is true. I'd love to replay these, even if it was PC (or PS4) exclusive.

Hesh

I need a more credible source before I get my hopes up. Also, as a backer of Shenmue 3, I have no reason to believe the game will be released in 2017 so that's kind of odd to see "may slip into 2018". It's gonna be awhile, this sort of thing isn't going to be rushed.

Yazuka

Well I hope this turns out true, I played the first Shenmue when it was new on the Dreamcast and I haven't touched it since then.
Never got around to play the second game, so this would be perfect.

Jcgamer60

The Xbox version has an additional control option in the menu that lets you set the thumbsticks to move.

It has been awhile since I played the Dreamcast game and I have yet to try the Xbox version but I am pretty sure you had the option to move with the thumbstick in the Dreamcast version as shown in the controls section of this FAQ:

http://www.gamershell.com/faqs/shenmueiidcfaqwalkthrough/0.9/

On a personal level I always preferred playing with the D-pad as I like the clunky controls (to each their own).

dan2026

To be honest they should just do away with the original dub track. Except as maybe a joke include.

It needs the original Japanese audio with subtitles.

orient

Neo Member
The Xbox version has an additional control option in the menu that lets you set the thumbsticks to move.

So I just tested it out on my OG Xbox and, to my surprise, it actually doesn't feel too bad -- it definitely feels more responsive than the D-pad (I switched back and forth).

It mimics the D-pad directions, so tapping the stick down will trigger a quick-turn, but the window is very small because most of the stick's range is dedicated to turning. It basically requires you to go full-tilt forward then steer, and the degree to which you go left or right determines your turning radius. Because of this you basically lose the variable movement speed that you get from using the D-pad + trigger to jog/run -- you're pretty much running the whole time. You can walk if you want but it requires a pretty light push of the stick. It's not perfect but it's totally fine for these "F.R.E.E" sections that don't require much precision, and not many people will miss the walking.

orient

Neo Member
Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast also has the option to use the thumbs tick. It's not new to the Xbox port.

Damn, my Dreamcast was already set up...oh well, it was fun to dig out the Xbox, though the composite video into my CRT was giving me some terrible horizontal flicker. Every time I moved left or right I could see the image jerking from the old position to the new. Don't remember it being that bad.

killatopak

NICEEEE

I can finally join the Shenmue 3 hype if they do. I can never understand all the praise since I haven't played the original.

Spaghetti

Do you think 60fps would take away from the cinematic experience?
I have a hard time imagining I would prefer this option.
But either way, there day 1!
The remaster may not even be able to do 60FPS. The engine could be incapable of doing it without significant retooling, but I don't suppose we'll know for sure until we have the thing in our hands.

It has been awhile since I played the Dreamcast game and I have yet to try the Xbox version but I am pretty sure you had the option to move with the thumbstick in the Dreamcast version as shown in the controls section of this FAQ:

http://www.gamershell.com/faqs/shenmueiidcfaqwalkthrough/0.9/

On a personal level I always preferred playing with the Dpad as I like the clunky controls (To each their own).

Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast also has the option to use the thumbs tick. It's not new to the Xbox port.
Well shit. Not sure why I thought that control method was Xbox exclusive, but I just booted up the Dreamcast version and yep, there it is.

I gave it a try. It's not awful, but it's not quite where you'd want it to be for analogue stick control, so I hope a remaster doesn't just lift this control method wholesale and call it a day. I'd probably argue the D-pad is actually smoother by comparison.

RAIDEN1

What I can't understand is why don't Sega just come out with it already if a HD remake is really happening, instead of all this guess-work..at this rate it might be better just to get the xbox version of the game, by the time this gets announced and actually available to purchase or download...or it maybe they may announce this at E3? For a Sept-Oct release?

Spaghetti

What I can't understand is why don't Sega just come out with it already if a HD remake is really happening, instead of all this guess-work..at this rate it might be better just to get the xbox version of the game, by the time this gets announced and actually available to purchase or download...or it maybe they may announce this at E3? For a Sept-Oct release?
SEGA works in mysterious* ways.

*mysteriously dumb

But seriously, there's been a rumour pretty much every year since HD re-releases were even a thing that Shenmue and Shenmue II would be coming. This is just another one for the pile.

To be fair, Sega has a long history of that. Valkyria's probably dead again for instance.

The game that came out was a spinoff. They've said as much and even said no matter how that game does they are committed to making more mainline games. Additionally this is the same company that gave Yakuza a second chance in the west despite a smaller following and no guarantee of making money off it.

Moldiver

It would have to be ground up...right? I mean I love Shenmue, own it and play it often but that game handles and sounds really, really bad and i imagine Nostalgia is what brings me back.

Yeah, I'll probably finish out Shenmue 1 and then wait for the remaster to save myself a hundred bucks, lol.

Hopefully the remaster has dual audio. Shenmue's English dub is...something, alright.

There's an undub version on the internet somewhere.

You can play it on an emulator so I assume it would be pretty easy to play on actual hardware too since it's a Dreamcast game.

Spaghetti

It would have to be ground up...right? I mean I love Shenmue, own it and play it often but that game handles and sounds really, really bad and i imagine Nostalgia is what brings me back.
It wouldn't have to be done from the ground up to tweak certain aspects like controls. Besides the fact that SEGA definitely would not spring for the cost of giving it the Kiwami treatment, you'd ideally want Yu Suzuki in charge or at least overseeing any kind of actual remake, and he's currently occupied (obviously).

Sega has demiurge studios now.Maybe they are doing the remaster as they have great history of porting games to console.
Blitworks, who SEGA have also worked with on Dreamcast ports and actually had a working Shenmue port prototype, have registered interest in the past. There are a few names in the pot for people who'd do the job if SEGA decided not to do it internally.

I'm actually pretty stoked to have found an Xbox copy of Shenmue 2, the other day, after checking my local game stores for a year. I played through the first Shenmue for the first time last year and really loved my time with it. I'll probably play through the Xbox copy, and then revisit the HD collections closer to 3's release.

Kambing

Pretty sure I am not in the minority... I backed the Shenmue 3 crowdfunding, but never played the first two. Very excited to see if the games are my cup of tea. If not, well that is okay. Contributing to the passion that is Shenmue, for the fans of the series -- that is already more than enough.

Top Bottom