• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumour] Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Remaster Coming 2017

celsowmbr

Banned
Pretty sure I am not in the minority... I backed the Shenmue 3 crowdfunding, but never played the first two. Very excited to see if the games are my cup of tea. If not, well that is okay. Contributing to the passion that is Shenmue, for the fans of the series -- that is already more than enough.

MAXIMUM_BROFIST_by_Defiant_Ant_..._.jpg

Amazing words!

Wensih

This would be the only way the third game would have a chance of being a small success. Most people, if they heard of shenmue at all, have heard of it through the cult reverence of it, and I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in the continuing story of Shenmue 3 if they weren't already invested in 1&2.

Oh yeah. Give me all of this. All I want is an improved control scheme and dual audio (although I truly love the English dub - maybe for the wrong reasons). Shenmue 2 is still my personal GOAT. I went back to it recently. It still holds up IMO.

Moldiver

It wouldn't have to be done from the ground up to tweak certain aspects like controls. Besides the fact that SEGA definitely would not spring for the cost of giving it the Kiwami treatment, you'd ideally want Yu Suzuki in charge or at least overseeing any kind of actual remake, and he's currently occupied (obviously).

Yeah, to be fair, I'd be happy with just an upscale and a more modern control scheme, there is a lot to look at and explore in Shenmue and the clunky controls just make me avoid that stuff even though I did on release but different times and all.

Spaghetti

Contributing to the passion that is Shenmue, for the fans of the series -- that is already more than enough.
You're good people.

This would be the only way the third game would have a chance of being a small success. Most people, if they heard of shenmue at all, have heard of it through the cult reverence of it, and I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in the continuing story of Shenmue 3 if they weren't already invested in 1&2.
Only way?

Nah. It's not really unheard of for people to pick up a numbered sequel without having experienced the predecessors.

Shenmue III will have recaps of the previous two games anyway, so players can get caught up regardless of whether a remaster happens or not.

Spaghetti

Yeah, to be fair, I'd be happy with just an upscale and a more modern control scheme, there is a lot to look at and explore in Shenmue and the clunky controls just make me avoid that stuff even though I did on release but different times and all.
The good news is that even a simple rebind in an emulator of the D-pad controls to the analogue stick go a long way towards modernising it, without sacrificing the heaviness and deliberateness that helps you navigate the realistically designed spaces of the game.

A few rounds of tweaking and fine tuning should help do the trick. Making people more aware that holding down B to adjust your position while standing should help pave over the cracks too.

Pretty sure I am not in the minority... I backed the Shenmue 3 crowdfunding, but never played the first two. Very excited to see if the games are my cup of tea. If not, well that is okay. Contributing to the passion that is Shenmue, for the fans of the series -- that is already more than enough.

Never played the first 2 games either, but I gotta give you props man. Not a lot of people would do something like that.

VeeP

I've never had the pleasure of playing Shenmue. But I really hope Sega makes a proper remaster, ala Bluepoint Games Style. Updated control scheme, cleaned up graphics, etc.

And please, I would really love a Skies of Arcadia remaster. I never got to play that either :(. Sega plz.

SMD

Never played the first 2 games either, but I gotta give you props man. Not a lot of people would do something like that.

Given the amounts involved, I'm pretty sure plenty of us did it! Never played the first two but come on, this is history in the making. Gotta help make it happen.

Freddo

Given the amounts involved, I'm pretty sure plenty of us did it! Never played the first two but come on, this is history in the making. Gotta help make it happen.
Pretty much, yeah. Never played the first two Shenmue, but still gave the Shenmue 3 kickstarter $100.

I've always wanted to play Shenmue 1&2 though, it's just that I never had any Dreamcast or Xbox, and neither did any of my close friends at the time. And ever since there was a rumor back in summer 2009 that SEGA Dreamcast games would be released for the PS3, I've been hoping for a Shenmue 1&2 HD release. Hopefully I don't have to wait much longer.

MKIL65

Yes, I hope they are coming.

I backed Shenmue 3 on kickstarter, due to all the hype, but never played 1 and 2.

Would be a shame to play it without any knowledge about previous entries.

With the lack of updates since Christmas, and none seemingly appearing for February, I'd say to look forward to E3.

Having Shenmue HD announced would be a good buffer for the disappointment that will be the announcing of a delay for Shenmue 3 (which has been expected for a long time anyways).

Is there any chance that sega publishes 3?

Let's worry about the game coming out this year first. Will probably get delayed to 2018 or beyond.

The last real update to the KS project was on December 15, 2016. It broke the streak of the monthly updates they used to do before. And we have yet to see any real game in action.

Hey, me too. I contributed so the fans could get some closure.

Bastos

That's really nice of you.

I hope you can understand why we love this game so much even after all this time.

TLZ

Banned

Adam Koralik would be proud.

Hopefully this is true. Since I backed Shenmue 3, I should probably play Shenmue 1 & 2 first. :p

EDIT: Glad to see I was not the only one who did this, lol.

Man, I hope all you people who backed the Kickstarter actually enjoy the two entries that are already out. They're pretty polarising games.

Hey, me too. I contributed so the fans could get some closure.

I appreciate your kind deed, but I don't think we're getting much closure with 3!

Absolute thanks and respect to anyone and everyone who actually game money to the Kickstarter without playing the games or having any major love for the franchise. Honestly touched by it.

I remember this happening before...

Where/why in the hell do people think Shenmue HD, 3 or otherwise will have anything to do with the Switch? It's as much a chance of appearing on the Switch as BoTW coming to PS4 Pro, or Mario appearing on the Xbox One.

In short, not an impossibility, but also never gonna happen.

Where/why in the hell do people think Shenmue HD, 3 or otherwise will have anything to do with the Switch? It's as much a chance of appearing on the Switch as BoTW coming to PS4 Pro, or Mario appearing on the Xbox One.

Because Shenume II was on the original XBox?

TLZ

Banned

They like to dream and believe switch will get that third party.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the switch. Sega was done then the Xbox was the platform. Shenmue 3 already has a platform that is ps4 and Xbox can always be a possibility. But switch is not happening.

Lol wut?

The only.... Only logic I can take from this is that you are saying it can be on the Switch because the original Sega Dreamcast version was then ported to Microsoft Xbox. Whilst that's true, Microsoft (namely Peter Moore) snapped up the publishing and distribution rights for Microsoft to port it over to give the console a big name. Unfortunately it was a waste of time in the end, but it was an exclusive deal between Microsoft and Sega at that time.

The deal with Shenmue HD could be argued to be going to any platform yes, but logic would say that with Shenmue 3 being a PS4 and PC only title, then so too will any HD remakes. You can count MS out because YSNET went to Phil Spencer first with the idea to Kick-start Shenmue 3, and we're basically told where to go, so they are hardly gonna go back on their own decision, and also support HD remakes for a future installment of those remakes coming out on a rival platform.

Nintendo? Never had anything to do with Shenmue. Never shown any interest in Shenmue. Will never be appearing on a Nintendo console. It's not rocket science.

MetalSlug

At the end of 2016, Sega did say they were going to announce some new PC ports in early 2017, which they haven't done yet (or they have and I missed it).

So maybe Shenmue will be the announcement.

openrob

Those aren't the same lol.
SEGA is not a Sony studio. If anything it will be PC, or multi platform, unless someone coughs up some cash. Sony are the most likely to purchase exclusivity, but that is nothing like Mario appearing on Xbox haha.

Come on bro.

Saying that, i think S3 will be a timed exclusive if it sells well enough. With enough cash reserve, YSNet can hire people to port it over or work on it internally.

Top Bottom