• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian warship heads toward US destroyers after strike on Syria

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Can't tell what Trump is doing as he hasn't posted on twitter about his great great plans. awfully quiet really.

Struck Syria in an emotional retort (response to finally seeing the real atrocities vis a vie intelligence briefing he finally attended) but chose literally the least damaging of all scenarios presented to him. Finally considering the grave responsibility of his job and is in deep talks with the NSC over what Syria and Russia may do and how they will respond.

Either that or he ate a really big steak and is having a food baby in the bathroom at Mar-a-Lago right now.

Either or

Xe4

Banned
NYT has a history of being pro-US wars. Their editorial board has never really been in opposition to wars US started save for very few ones like Grenada in the 80's. Why would I take newspaper that are for US wars as a credible source? And since US has had a regime change agenda in Syria for a long while why the hell would I consider anything it says against someone it wants to remove to be credible? Also opposition activists are hardly a credible source either since guess what? They are anti-Assad meaning they'll be biased and say anything that can be used against him.

What does it matter if NYT and WaPo has been reporting against Trump admin? US imperialism is one of the few things that enjoy wide support among all parties and people in US. I couldn't care less about domestic affairs.

Wait for the investigation to finish. Otherwise you help creating an environment where anyone can blame any party they want removed regardless of evidence and that's hardly a good thing.

and IS has a proven track record of comitting terrorism across the world and yet not every terrorist attack is committed by an IS member. It's fine to believe Assad is responsible due to his track record, there's nothing strange about that assumption. The problem is when that assumption is stated as a fact and conclusive evidence when it isn't.
Look, the findings of the investigation are important, but literally all the evidence points towards it being a strike by Assad. Calling that propoganda is rediculous.

But not because of telegraphed missile strikes that are ordered under false pretenses. The US is at war alright, with itself.
False fucking pretenses? Really?!?

what if the tomahawks intentionally missed the targets and the russian ships are a muscle show both putin and trump are in on to make it look like they aren't allies

Come on now, this has been said before and it doesn't stop being an stupid theory, do you really think they can go through the logistics to pull off a joint operation of this magnitude without Trump getting caught with hands in the cookie jar while he has FBI agents up the wazoo, it's just silly.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Nothing to worry really. Russia does not have the money to get into a military conflict with the US.
Neither does the US lol

Can't tell what Trump is doing as he hasn't posted on twitter about his great great plans. awfully quiet really.
its okay, trump doesn't have any idea either.

Nothing to worry really. Russia does not have the money to get into a military conflict with the US.
Neither does the US lol
either do we
cause we spend it all on our military! Fuck healthcare and improving living conditions amirite?

Come on now, this has been said before and it doesn't stop being an stupid theory, do you really think they can go through the logistics to pull off a joint operation of this magnitude without Trump getting caught with hands in the cookie jar while he has FBI agents up the wazoo, it's just silly.

You, my good sir, wouldn't be very competent at 4D Sorry! I am sad to say.

Just trust us on this one.

List of countries by military expenditures
a23e5b6addb1aef15321a71824880cd4.png
Russia is coming to get us! Look out ya'll!!

I can never see a war happening between them or other big countries. People just want to be rich and live the good life with family and friends. Self preservation All out war kinda gets in the way of those nice dinners and getaways..

All of the rich people living the good life, having nice dinners and getaways will continue doing that even in a war. Do you think they ever go to war themselves?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Military budget penis waving is fine and all but I would rather nuclear power countries didn't get into fisticuffs with each other.

clem84

Gold Member
Why is Putin helping Al-assad so much? I googled a little bit but the stuff I found was rather vague. Is he really doing this to gain geopolitical power in the middle east? If so, it seems to me it's kinda backfiring.

Why is Putin helping Al-assad so much? I googled a little bit but the stuff I found was rather vague. Is he really doing this to gain geopolitical power in the middle east? If so, it seems to me it's kinda backfiring.

Yes, and it is backfiring like most of his plans. Crimea was a mistake, and so is this.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah, it's time to step away from the internet and take a breather. Or better yet, do some research about past conflicts and escalation. The military equivalent of Trump and Putin calling each other big meany-heads is not the start of a nuclear holocaust.

This needs to be quoted and pasted into any thread revolving around topics like this. Chill the hell out people.

brian577

Banned
So where is the Russian warship now

it's supposed to be heading to a Syrian base.
http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-39521332

" According to Russian news agency TASS , a ship from the Russian Black Sea Fleet is en route through the Mediterranean to the Russian base in Tartus, Syria.

The ship, which is reportedly named The Admiral Grigorovich, is armed with cruise-missiles.

A source tells the Russian agency that it will remain in the area for more than a month. "

It would be really helpful if people would do more research and stop making sensational topic titles.

RenditMan

Banned
You need to stop watching Russian TV and look out into the real world.

Try it. It'll help your intelligence.

If you could just point us in the direction of the real world that would be great.

It's difficult to know what's real and what's not. Especially when you consider that there's plenty of people with lots to gain from things being as they are.

The second the US and Russia starts firing at each other ISIS wins. Everything.

pa22word

This does make the most sense. We will all know soon enough.

Yeah. This just comes across as dick waving so Putin can go home and tell his people what a Real Man he is, standing up to THE United States, etc, etc, blah, blah

If he really had an issue with the airstrikes, he would have went on TV and and threatened to take the world to DEFCON2 if a russian soldier was killed. Instead, he quietly pulled his dudes out and let it happen.

Spladam

Thank god the US government and "every major news organization" are credible since they have no agenda, ulterior motives and would never use propaganda and never lie. I mean a country that over a half century ago tried to overthrow the Syrian government, the same government inciting sectarian tensions in Syria since 2006 and the same government have supplied arms to terrorists surely is a credible source.
Start paying attention, there is literally video footage of Syrian hellicopters dropping chlorine barrel bombs on populated area, that show the people fleeing from the impact and the sad dead civilian aftermath, including civilians convulsing as they die. This is not a new thing, Assad has done this before. Do a little reading or pay attention to what is going on in the world.
At this point, the most annoying thing about all this shit is all the condescending "calm down, stupid there's nothing to worry about."

I remember getting that shit when I'd bitch about how GAF would have a fucking OT almost every time Trump had a televised rally. That's the attitude all the conservatives around me irl have towards anyone protesting anything.

"Stop being hysterical, y'all. Nothing about any of this is abnormal or concerning."
No, the two things are not in anyway the same, there is absolutely no comparison whatsoever between these two subjects. Ask yourself how much does Russia have invested in Syria an what is the payoff for supporting Assad? The little bit of leverage Putin is getting out of this is not by any means a reason to go to war with the most powerful military in the world.

If you had thought about this of a second you would reach the same conclusion. This barely qualifies as posturing. Putin is not stupid, though I don't think you followed the logic far enough for that to be a consideration.

Lol, if WW3 happens there will hardly be a humanity left to lose faith in. This is what a thermonuclear (airburst) detonation looks like:

https://gfycat.com/HeartfeltGlossyClumber

If you live anywhere near a population center or significant military target you are fucked. That basically means we're all fucked. Humanity has proven that in times of total war, absolutely nothing is off the table when it comes to committing atrocities.

It looks like a star formed and then crashed into the earth.

RMI

Banned
How far are they willing to go to wash away suspicion of collusion?

Let's hope the seamen don't have itchy trigger fingers. This could spiral out of hand.

Will this be the spark that ignites WWIII?
I really hope not.

Will this be the spark that increases the approval rating of Putin and Trump as people in their countries get scared about a war that will never happen and hence ignore all sorts of restrictions to their civil liberties?

I really hope not.

DeSo

Banned
Russia will fall in line should it come to it, their military are a joke compared to the US.

Why would this increase Putin's approval rating?

Countries don't have military to have wars. They have them so that people in their countries will think they will have wars so they can hold onto power.

People in both Russia and America will go "oh shit ww3", posters will flood the internet name dropping statements from members of the government to give them legitimacy in the face of a "crisis", news services will latch onto this hysteria and stop worrying about other things that don't rate as well.

Nothing happens, the world keeps spinning.

Russia will fall in line should it come to it, their military are a joke compared to the US.

Correct, but the reality doesn't matter. What matters is the reality that you create in the minds of the ignorant.

Also important military/political ally in the Middle East that gives Putin access to important military bases and access to the mediterranean sea or the Russian fleet. Said military ally also sandwiches NATO member Turkey in between Russia.

An important, Russia friendly, political counterweight to US allied/backed countries such as Israel and Saudi Arabia, together with Iran.

Also one of the few countries left that buy Russian military equipment in bulk which in turn helps the Russian military (arms manufacturers not going bankrupt and having to be bailed out/nationalised).

Also Assad will have to suck Putin's **** forever after the civil war is over for keeping him alive and in office.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Same reason why the US supports Saudi Arabia despite them also killing Yemenis en masse. It serves their geopolitical interests.

It feels like it's backfiring to us in the west, but Putin's concern isn't how he's viewed in the west, his concern is his reputation domestically. Pulling out of Syria now will be seen as weakness at home.

We're all going to fucking die.
Thanks.

Fuck.

Any normal day could be disrupted by a nuclear strike. There's really no point in stressing over it. You'll have to put your faith in Obama admin, Trump admin, and so on daily. Be thankful for how they run things in that regard.

rambis

Banned
Cnn reporting another strike

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/08/middleeast/syria-strikes-russia-donald-trump/index.html

(CNN)New airstrikes have targeted a town in northwest Syria that was hit by a deadly chemical attack earlier this week, activists said.

It wasn't immediately clear who conducted the strikes on Khan Sheikhoun, which was hit on Friday and Saturday, though only Russian and Syrian regime aircraft have been bombing that area of rebel-held Idlib province.
The latest attacks follow a strike early Friday by the United States on a Syrian airbase. The US blames Syria for Tuesday's chemical attack, which left more than 85 people dead and hundreds more injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom