• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saddest moments in a cartoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merciful God, this. I was blown away when I saw it, and I was in college. My son saw it when he was 4, and he gave me that "I need a hug" look. So he got it.

This scene is personal for me. I actually got called Dumbo lots as a kid (among other things) because I needed to grow into my ears. My mom wasn't exactly a big source of comfort when it came to being picked on and bullied later on.

I could have used a hug when I felt alone. All I got was told to ignore them.

Wife and I watched this together when it first aired. Ironically, we needed a drink afterwards.

I knew I could count on you, Deacon. I watched this with my son too, and there's a certain part in this episode that I'll put in spoilers. Seriously don't click it if you don't want to be spoiled:

When Megatron wipes the floor with Ultra Magnus and is about to kill him, and Optimus is dying, and the other Autobots have been captured

My son didn't give me a look then. He just broke out crying. I had to pause it for about 10 minutes to comfort him so that we could continue.

But man oh man did they do a fantastic job with that series.

Edit: The blu-ray of the original movie is on reserve, and I plan to watch it with my son when it releases.

I remember your post from the last thread. I go back and read it on occasion when I feel nostalgic about the show. It just NAILED Optimus Prime so much.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Sorry everyone, Grave of the Fireflies exists and trumps your paltry children's movies and shows.

grave-5.png

Even worse is when you realize the author of the original story based it on his actual life and what happened to his sister.

This movie just made me angry at the stupidity of EVERYONE in it. Not sad, angry.

ResoRai

"... and I need to save you... but whose going to save me?
Please forgive me for whatever I do... when I don't remember you"
latest

this is the very end of "speak like a child", the 18th episode of cowboy bebop. i don't reccommend watching just the end, because a big part of what makes it emotional is the amount of work put into finding the tape, and your expectations based on faye's character.

https://youtu.be/F5XiKGlZrUY

i recommend anyone who wants to watch a good episode of a good show to watch this one, probably because it was the first cowboy bebop episode i ever watched late one night on adult swim. it absolutely destroyed me, and it remains one of my favorite things ever because it touches on this horrible nostalgia and regret that we all experience as we get older; and whether or not you can control the people in your life knowing about your past, or if maybe you're just being too hard on yourself. sometimes it's not bad at all, sometimes it's really good and tells others a lot about you.

it's the kind of relic that will happen less and less as time goes on, because we live in a more instant world, where everyone is just a timeline click away from knowing everything you've ever done.. we're losing the mechanic of something special that people can find and hide. and that's fine, but the epiode is a really brilliant comment on that, I think.

Sorry for all the images

You know, now that I'm an adult, I can recoginze how mature Hey Arnold was for a kids show. Helga's childhood episode still gets me every time I watch it.

Courage the Cowardly Dog has some tearjerker episodes amongst its surrealist nightmare.
Last of the Star Makers and Remembrance Of Courage Past still brings the tears.

rothgar

Fushigi Yuugi: Tamahome discovers
his entire family has been murdered.

43.jpg

Fruits Basket: The normally bubbly Momiji reveals to Tohru that
he had to erase his mother's memory because she couldn't take the stress of giving birth to a cursed child.

momiji-1.jpg

There are many sad moments in these two series, but I think they were particularly sad to me because these tragedies happened to young children. That always gets me.

It only aired last week, but Monster Reunion from Steven Universe is yet another contender here. We go from expecting a cute scene involving crayons to some big lore drops and a few of the saddest moments the show has had in a while. I was unexpectedly affected when I saw
the half-corrupted Centipeetle crying over her drawing and then her desperately trying to reach her crew while she's turning back into a monster
. Who would have thought that the "monster of the week" from the very first episode...

latest

...would end up being one of the show's most tragic characters?

The_Kid

"On the Run" in Steven Universe killed me when I first watched it.

And then there is practically every episode in Bojack...

MEsoJD

Banned
The Ending of "The Plague Dogs"

Never got so choked up in my life.

"Grave of the Fireflies" comes second.

ResoRai

10 minutes... had tears flowing for at least 10 minutes...
"You found me"
;_;
342de30ee35f1baf649cd26bd3f47e7eb2cabebd88281407d0488318b6e13755.gif

Teared up a lot during Inside Out as well.

Bojack horseman
Sarrah Lynn dying in bojack horseman

I watched the holiday episode after watching that and it really hit me

When Marnie was there
When it was revealed that Marnie was actually Annas Grandma that she remembered in her unconcious. Marnie had such a miserable life but loved her granddaughter so much although she died due to her poor health. Kinda hit me when Anna put the puzzle pieces together to learn who marnie was.

Some scenes in Inside out. Probably because I have a daughter similar age.
The very end of Monsters Inc. Sully's smile at the very end gets me every time.
Beginning of UP. Wasn't prepared for that at all. Trying to hide that in the cinema was difficult.
Ending of Toy Story 3.

Dammit....I just remembered something that ruined my day when I was 5.

Anyone ever see this bullshit? I was at my grandparents house when I was 5, turned the TV on and saw this cartoon, decided to watch it. 24 years later it still gets me, I actually showed my fiancé the end and she was surprised at how sad it ended and that I got teary eyed at the ending. That stupid ending.....fucking Kangaroo....fuck

https://youtu.be/epGvugk8jxA

hughesta

Banned
this is the very end of "speak like a child", the 18th episode of cowboy bebop. i don't reccommend watching just the end, because a big part of what makes it emotional is the amount of work put into finding the tape, and your expectations based on faye's character.

https://youtu.be/F5XiKGlZrUY

i recommend anyone who wants to watch a good episode of a good show to watch this one, probably because it was the first cowboy bebop episode i ever watched late one night on adult swim. it absolutely destroyed me, and it remains one of my favorite things ever because it touches on this horrible nostalgia and regret that we all experience as we get older; and whether or not you can control the people in your life knowing about your past, or if maybe you're just being too hard on yourself. sometimes it's not bad at all, sometimes it's really good and tells others a lot about you.

it's the kind of relic that will happen less and less as time goes on, because we live in a more instant world, where everyone is just a timeline click away from knowing everything you've ever done.. we're losing the mechanic of something special that people can find and hide. and that's fine, but the epiode is a really brilliant comment on that, I think.
I wanted to post this, but didn't know what to say. Thank you. This scene absolutely destroyed me.

Bojack horseman
Sarrah Lynn dying in bojack horseman

I watched the holiday episode after watching that and it really hit me

When Marnie was there
When it was revealed that Marnie was actually Annas Grandma that she remembered in her unconcious. Marnie had such a miserable life but loved her granddaughter so much although she died due to her poor health. Kinda hit me when Anna put the puzzle pieces together to learn who marnie was.
Maybe consider putting "Bojack S3 EpX" before the spoiler tag?

Everything I can think to nominate has been mentioned... so I'll go with Roy Mustang's "It's raining," from Fullmetal Alchemist.

What's this a reference to? Inu Yasha?
No. It's from Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. You'd need to see the episode to get the full context/impact, but the long and short of it is that (legit spoilers if you're curious)
the chimera, that dog creature, used to be a little girl, Nina, and her dog, Alexander; two separate entities forcefully and painfully fused into one being. The girl's father, Chou Tucker, experimented on them both to create it, the first talking chimera. Although Tucker succeeded in his goal, he sacrificied everything he had to get there... and it became all for nothing when it was found out. It is a cautionary tale on the limits alchemy needs to have.

Both series do a great job of framing the whole thing, making it a powerful, emotional episode that neither the audience nor characters soon forget. And both series are only getting started.

Zubz

Banned
Okay, I finally finished Bojack Horseman S3 and... Yup. Episodes 9-12 fit the bill. Each and every one of them.

I mean, we talked about
Sarah Lynn's OD
, but
Bojack's panic and both suicide attempts, Todd telling Bojack off and apparent discomfort regarding his asexuality, the tease that Diane/Mr. Peanut Butter'll probably have their relationship torn apart, and Princess Carolyn returning to her own self-destructive workaholic tendencies and expressing mutual positive feelings towards Bojack only for him to shut her out
were all just rough, and in some cases, I'd argue even rougher than Episode 11's ending.

But hey, at least (Potentially Spoiler-ish Interview tidbit)
S3 is supposedly the end of Bojack's self-destruction arc, according to Raphael Bob-Waksberg; writing just started, but maybe things'll be on an upswing for the guy? ... Granted, things aren't looking good for the others

The ending of Ashita no Joe - the final ending when
he sits down all burned out and then I forgot her name she looks at him and realizes he has died after his final match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom