• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saddest moments in a cartoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

Optimus Prime dying was the saddest thing to me when I was younger:

death-of-optimus-prime-o.gif

As sad as that scene made me, it really didn't hit home until much later on, towards the end.

Optimus: *voice over* "Arise, Rodimus Prime..."
Hot Rod/Rodimus: "Optimus..."

apotema

I've been looking for this for forever, I saw it once years ago and it devastated me. It's just called Remi?

Edit - Damn autocorrect

Yeah, in Latin America is just Remi

I think it is called Nobody's child in some other countries, not sure about that

I fairly easy to find on DVD here in Mexico, and maybe in Japan

Caution: Psychologic trauma might occur

Herne

Yeah, in Latin America is just Remi

I think it is called Nobody's child in some other countries, not sure about that

I fairly easy to find on DVD here in Mexico, and maybe in Japan

Caution: Psychologic trauma might occur

Yeah, I remember it well. Thanks muchly!

Looking into it, I found it is based on a novel called Sans Famille, but I was confused by the Film & TV section as I remember clearly watching a film and not a multiple episode-long show. I remember parts of it, when he was seperated from his foster mother, to life on the road with the bard and the animals, and poor Joli-Cœur's death, to when he finally gets a happy if bittersweet ending.

If it had been a series, I would've remembered that, because it's likely I would not have watched every episode, and I remember it from start to finish, watching it one evening up in my aunt's place (I think). So I'm a bit confused by that.

DonMigs85

The ending of The Sneezing Magician/Hakushon Daimao was a real downer
Achoo and Yawn have to leave earth for 100 years despite the other character's efforts to save them

Vibranium

Banned
That's why people should watch the superior and more focused original series. Brotherhood was good overall, but the first series focuses a lot better on the bond between the brothers Elrich, and the people whose lives they affect. The music alone magnifies each emotional moment on a whole other level compared to Brotherhood.

Or you could read the original FMA manga, which did everything the best.

I really love Futurama's sad moments. They pull it off pretty well.

Atenhaus

Sorry everyone, Grave of the Fireflies exists and trumps your paltry children's movies and shows.

grave-5.png

Even worse is when you realize the author of the original story based it on his actual life and what happened to his sister.

I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed at the end of the movie.

I'm sure it's been said: Fry's dog, both original episode and when brought back in one of movies. Can watch the movie but I refuse to watch the episode again. I just can't.

Madrin

WMVJjmW.png

Tiny Tim's family visiting his grave in Mickey's Christmas Carol. It was such a short movie that you weren't even that invested in the characters, but the somberness of that scene was intense.

zeemumu

what is going on here?

She's an actress who has a genetic condition that doesn't allow her to grow, so after her role as a child on a popular sitcom ended she couldn't find any other acting work, and her longing for the glory days mixed with the frustration brought on by her condition drove her to kidnap her old costars and she took on her character's persona. Batman chases her into this funhouse of mirrors and one of them warps into what she should actually look like at her age, causing her to break down and shoot all of the reflections of Batman in the other mirrors, and she finally shoots the last mirror with her own reflection until she's out of ammo. Her character's catchphrase was "I didn't mean to"

Here's the scene

Sorry everyone, Grave of the Fireflies exists and trumps your paltry children's movies and shows.

grave-5.png

Even worse is when you realize the author of the original story based it on his actual life and what happened to his sister.

Jesus God. I've never seen this movie, but just reading the Wikipedia synopsis of it is like getting punched in the gut.

-EDIT- As far as Futurama, I feel like Jurassic Bark is definitely sadder than Luck of the Fryrish or Leela's Homeworld. I mean, all three make me tear up, but the latter two are heartwarming, not sad. Jurassic Bark though...
he has the opportunity to bring back his dog, who only ever wanted to see him again, and he DOESN'T DO IT! That's fucking heartbreaking!

Optimus Prime dying was the saddest thing to me when I was younger:

death-of-optimus-prime-o.gif

I used to laugh at friends that cried their eyes out at this moment, I just didn't get it.... probably because I didn't actually watch the full movie myself until I was 20 years old (first time I watched it from start to finish on dvd!).

As a child it was seeing He-Man near death in The Secret of The Sword :(

MV5BODg0MzY1OTYxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg5MTYyMjE@._V1_UY1200_CR485,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

000-37-Newly-Minted-She-Ra-640x468.png

I was like noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

El Jaffe

grave-5.png

Alright you assholes, after hearing about this movie multiple times here I decided to watch it last night, and figured since I was going in expecting it too be the saddest movie ever, I won't cry due to the expectation.

I was wrong.

Markoman

I used to laugh at friends that cried their eyes out at this moment, I just didn't get it.... probably because I didn't actually watch the full movie myself until I was 20 years old (first time I watched it from start to finish on dvd!).

As a child it was seeing He-Man near death in The Secret of The Sword :(

MV5BODg0MzY1OTYxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDg5MTYyMjE@._V1_UY1200_CR485,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

000-37-Newly-Minted-She-Ra-640x468.png

I was like noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

We need a She-Ra movie played by Charlize Theron right now!!!!!!!!

I remember this moment but not the episode or the context. Can someone help me out?

Pokemon gang bang on a passed out Ash.

You've let me down Gaf.

Also, this thread inspired me to check out Luck of the Fryish and Jurassic Bark. Maybe it was the hype, but eh. I guess they are pretty good from a Simpsons, Futurama, etc. standpoint. But they were just nice moments, nothing amazing.

silva1991

People already mentioned the great ones, so I'm gonna pick this one

2908849_1343403375254.94res_500_296.jpg

yes he was an asswhole and I always wanted him dead, but that death scene was so sad :(

what a masterclass of an anime

his death video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HwPhoIHK-Y

also this still makes me cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTh4JUhawM

Alfredo's death from Romeo's Blue Skies

Romeo-Alfredo-romeos-blue-skies-17214066-320-240.jpg

easily one of the best anime characters with the purist heart

Unfortunately, yes.
He's pretty much lost all interest in fighting in the new series/movies to the point where he has weakened drastically. I mean he's still stronger than the other Z fighters, who aren't Goku and Vegeta, but they're not really relevant anyway. Well, neither is Gohan now I suppose. He gets bodied by first form Frieza in Resurrection of F .... with one punch iirc.

Is this the Super series?
DBZ was already a huge step down from DB, because it pretty much gets rid of the great variety of characters and only blond guys with spiky hairs are heroes

this super series sounds even worse in that department from what you're saying lol.

Xyber

I hadn't watched anime in years and a friend decided to get me to watch that and another one about the ghost of a little girl showing up to a kid that couldn't get over her death years after.

I once again do not watch anime.

Anohana was the first movie/tv show/game that has actually made me cry. Fuck me that ending.

Your lie in April was also very sad and I teared up a bit.

Anohana was the first movie/tv show/game that has actually made me cry. Fuck me that ending.

Your lie in April was also very sad and I teared up a bit.

Yeah that was the name of the other one. I guess I just can't handle that kind of stuff anymore.

Daingurse

I can't watch Episode 131 of Hunter x Hunter 2011 without crying, or at the very least tearing up. Gon vs Neferipitou hits me really hard every time. The moment where Gon talks to Killua in the blink of an eye is usually when I can't hold back.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
what is going on here?

Mary Louise Dahl was a female actor who was born with systemic hypoplasia, a rare condition which kept her from ever growing, meaning that she spent all of her life looking like a young toddler. She became famous for a brief period when she played the title character in the TV sitcom "Love That Baby" (when she was 20, though she still looked like she was 5). She and the show were wildly popular, but as the series got older, the ratings dwindled. In the final season, the producers of the show decided to add a new character; Baby Doll's cousin who was called Spunky. Baby Doll was angry at Spunky because she thought that he was stealing her spot light, especially on one occasion on her birthday episode, where she got her face pushed into her birthday cake by him. Furious, she left the show in order to turn herself into a proper dramatic actress.

Without any jobs coming her way, Mary went through a rough, depressing period of her life where she realized that the only time when she had been truly happy was when she was in the show as Baby-Doll, when she used to have a "family" in the show and was adored by millions of viewers.

Keeping her persona as Baby Doll permanently, Baby went around with her hired thugs and kidnapped all of the original cast of Baby Doll, bringing them together so that she get revenge on Spunky and have her old family back.

While Robin released the captives, Batman chased Baby into a nearby fair, and then into a Fun House. Inside the Fun House, Baby came across a hall of mirrors. Within one of the distorted mirrors, Baby saw herself as an adult, how she believed she should look without her condition. Knowing this to be fake, just as her family and life, she shot and broke all of the mirrors before breaking down mentally and running out of bullets. When the Batman walked up to her, she went peacefully, uttering her infamous catchphrase "I didn't mean to".

grave-5.png

This. Holy shit. I had no idea what this movie was about and went into it cold and was blown away.

Meliora

Nothing beats the Lion King for me, and when Mufasa dies, but also when he appears in the sky. It was my favorite movie when I was young, and a few years after it came out my father died, which made the movie a lot sadder and I related to it in awhole new way (I was 9). Still my favorite movie though.

tumblr_lm4r0cfFFk1qghkx5o1_500.gif

Despera

Banned
In an anime called Now and Then, Here and There

The last scene of the 3rd episode showing you the aftermath of what happened to this character was extremely sad. The series in general does a good job dealing with a very sensitive subject, with excellent direction and music, which only makes the impact of certain events even worse.

grave-5.png

The scene that almost got me to tear up was when
the boy returned to his baby sister, only to find her in a very debilitated state, hallucinating, and mistaking pebbles for hard candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom