• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saddest moments in a cartoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrAg0nBoY

tumblr_n7dkoxs7wy1rb06tgo6_r1_500.gif

Colonel Hughes death
didn't hit me until his daughter started asking why he had to go away. And my dumbass was at work watching that scene during my lunch break.

Yeah that shit hit me so hard when she started. I am getting wattery eyes everytime I see this scene...

I see y'all picking DCAU moments are picking some greats: Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Babydoll, For the Man Who Has Everything, Epilogue. Good choices. Let me raise you:

Justice League - "The Terror Beyond - Part 2"

and

Justice League Unlimited - "Wake the Dead"

Granted I couldn't find a clip of the second one, but it's the saddest arc that no one talks about.
dcau darkseid earned his king villain title after this

Man, what he said when Clark dropped his ass back on Apokolips...

Many great and terrible things mentioned in here, so I'll just namedrop The Velveteen Rabbit. I can't even read the book. Tears from page one until done.

AniHawk

Sorry for all the images

yeah, arnold's christmas is great. it gets pretty exposition-heavy towards the end since the plot needs to catch helga up on arnold's/gerald's happenings, but it sticks the landing perfectly.

i also like arnold's valentine a lot too despite it should be really stupidly obvious that arnold's on a date with helga.

Was this just way sadder in the original compared to the new series? Cause I saw the original ten or so years ago and thought it was one of the saddest things in anime, saw the other version and it wasn't all that affective.

Both this and Hughes are more effective in the original. Brotherhood kinda rushes through them by comparison.

AniHawk

Okay I suppose I will be the one to ask

What is the story with the dog in a wig that has been quoted like fifty times

in fullmetal alchemist brotherhood,
a guy fuses his daughter with his dog to create a human/animal chimera for some reason. then the show meanders arond for 60 episodes with an ever-increasing cast and without any weight and it ends.

fhqwhgads

Inside Out utterly destroyed me when I first saw it. Fully grown man trying not to blubber in a cinema filled with kids. And people say Pixar are losing their touch.

Hesemonni

Banned
Sorry everyone, Grave of the Fireflies exists and trumps your paltry children's movies and shows.

Even worse is when you realize the author of the original story based it on his actual life and what happened to his sister.
This really is hard to beat.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
For me when I was a kid. It was when Alec DeLeon died on the moon and O'Reilly delivers DeLeon's e-frame black box to Maggie Weston.

The show was Exoquad.

Mister Wolf

The saddest ive seen is the final moments between the chimera ant king and komugi in Hunter x hunter anime. Honorable mention goes to Naruto talking to zabuza about haku, he even made zabuza cry.

televator

in fullmetal alchemist brotherhood,
a guy fuses his daughter with his dog to create a human/animal chimera for some reason. then the show meanders arond for 60 episodes with an ever-increasing cast and without any weight and it ends.

That's why people should watch the superior and more focused original series. Brotherhood was good overall, but the first series focuses a lot better on the bond between the brothers Elrich, and the people whose lives they affect. The music alone magnifies each emotional moment on a whole other level compared to Brotherhood.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
That's why people should watch the superior and more focused original series. Brotherhood was good overall, but the first series focuses a lot better on the bond between the brothers Elrich, and the people whose lives they affect.

Agreed. The Hughes and Chimera bits were so bad in Brotherhood. They wanted to rush through but also wanted to evoke an emotional response so it was basically "OK this shit happens to characters you don't really know well. Now cry please."
Having a kid say stupid shit at a funeral is just a way to squeeze tears. If you watched only Brotherhood you don't know the characters well and there's no weight to it. Might as well have just had a random scene of people kicking kids in the street.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I like both FMA adaptations for what they were but lets not forget what a drop in quality the second half of FMA was. Some of those story decisions confuse me to this day. All that emotional weight that was set up went nowhere
except Earth... because yeah dead souls power Alchemy or something

Mr_Moogle

Holy crap at the ending to David the Gnome. Some of my earliest memories are watching that show but I never realised it ended that way.

Wasn't a cartoon but dinosaurs man the winter holocaust finale and the two little endangered species episodes sad and horrified at the same time ......

latest

History of trunks - Gohan's death

latest

Heart of ice - mr freeze speech at the end

cartoon+deaths+6.jpg

Charolette's Web - Wilbur coping with the fact his friend is going to die

Smellycat

All of this shit! ALL OF IT!

ym6iIrw.jpg

The Adventures of Hutch the Honeybee (Las aventuras de José Miel in Latin America).

:(

OMG I came here to post this!!!!

There is no way there is any cartoon sadder than this. 50 episodes of build up and then that last episode happens :(

The cartoon had such a negative on kids that it was remade with a happier ending.

So I just saw Grave of the Fireflies thanks to this thread and...

WTF at that selfish brother?!

I didn't cry at all because I could see where the movie was heading STRAIGHT from the get go. It's obvious who would die and what would happen right from the first 30 minutes.
It doesn't help that he just reveals his sister died over a voiceover; "She never woke up again". I think it would have been powerful if he had just found her body there one day when he came back.

Maybe I just didn't GET the movie but I was mostly mad at the brother for not having the courage to apologize to his aunt and just being taken care of.

Garlador

I didn't cry at all because I could see where the movie was heading STRAIGHT from the get go. It's obvious who would die and what would happen right from the first 30 minutes.
It doesn't help that he just reveals his sister died over a voiceover; "She never woke up again". I think it would have been powerful if he had just found her body there one day when he came back.

Maybe I just didn't GET the movie but I was mostly mad at the brother for not having the courage to apologize to his aunt and just being taken care of.

That's the point. It's based on an autobiography and served as a sort of criticism and introspective look at Japanese society at the time, a society that values pride and honor and how the boy was so selfish and prideful, thinking he could do things on his own and stand on his own two feet and not ask for help... and how that attitude led to misery and death.

... It was a sentiment many Japanese youths (and adults) felt at the time, and some still feel it today.

We knew their fates in the opening moments of the film, and the story was about how the boy's pride led them to that fate.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You're supposed to feel that way but also realize how dumb and full of themselves kids tend to be and then throw them into the middle of a war torn country with no caring family except your sibling and you have to take care of her despite not knowing how to take care of yourself. Its supposed to make you a bit angry and you are supposed to be mad at him but you need to take that into the context of what is going on not only culturally in Japan at that point but what is going on at large in the world. These kids get the short short end of the stick and are expected to survive, that doesn't work today and it especially didn't work then.

apotema

Why isn't the monkey moving?

You don't want to know

They are a family of travelling acrobats/dancers/showmen and one day the monkey was really sick so he couln'd act, but they were losing money because the monkey (Happy Heart) was the main actor in the play. So Happy Heart which was very intelligent decided to act in the play "The Death of the General", making his best performance yet. Everybody in the plaza cheered him and they received a lot of money. But in the end the kid Remi told him to stop acting...... the little monkey wasn't acting anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom