• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saddest moments in a cartoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcane

A Chinese cartoon called Nezha conquers the Dragon King made me upset when I was a child.
When Nezha kills himself to save the village

Xun

tumblr_lqreerwkSV1qakrdzo4_250.gif

tumblr_lqreerwkSV1qakrdzo6_250.gif
The music really makes this scene.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just watched Grave of the Fireflies due to this thread.

Yeah, fuck you too.

Mission Accomplished!

I think what is amazing about Grave of the Fireflies is you know its gonna be brutal from the very first seen. There is no twist that comes out of nowhere or sudden shocking climax. Its up front that its gonna kick you right in the heart.

Valentus

Why nobody say fucking bambi yet, what is your problem people??????

...oh one person mentioned it, you guy know your shit.

Lombax

Banned
This scene definitely caught me off guard in how dark it was.

Indeed! It was a combination of catching me off guard coupled with the fact that the episode hit a little close to home.
The episode reminded me of a relationship I had when I was in my 20's that was completely destructive.
I ended up in a very deep depression after we broke up, and it took me about a year to come out of it.
That scene brought back all those feelings instantly.

Xe4

Banned
I'm pretty sure that nothing will ever compare to or replace Grave of The Fireflies in the minds of many (self included). The film is heartbreaking enough but knowing that it's based off of the author's firsthand experience makes it even more tragic.

When_the_Wind_Blows_1986.jpeg

...but if there's anything that can potentially rival it, my vote goes to When the Wind Blows, the follow up to raymond Briggs' The Snowman (awesomely already mentioned in this thread). It offers up similar themes as GotF, but manages to make them more bleak even if it's fictional. Fans of 80's music take note: Roger Waters dominates the soundtrack that also features Genesis and a title song by David Bowie.

220px-Plaguedogsposter.jpg

I also haven't seen anyone mention The Plague Dogs. The novel is a bit different (and significantly more grim). I won't ruin it for those that haven't seen it, but it can be extremely tough to watch and sad for folks who are fond of four pawed creatures. Definitely one of the most haunting animated features I've seen.

Good post. Plague Dogs wrecked me, even more than Grave of the Fireflies, although probably because I saw one coming and the other I did not. When the Wind Blows was also very sad at the end.

Le Illusionist is the only film that has made me cry. It made me miserable.
Magicians do not exist : (

Along with these excellent recommendations I'll add:
The Dog of Flanders
hqdefault.jpg

Waltz with Bashir (not overly sad, but the ending wrecked me)
WaltzWithBashir.jpg_cmyk.jpg

Ringing Bell
hqdefault.jpg

Glad to see Luck of the Fryrish getting so many mentions, easily my favourite episode of Futurama.

Any Rugrats stuff that dealt with Chuckie's mother is way up there for me too.

Since we're doing anime, a recent one, Your Lie in April, really got me bigtime at several moments,
once you realise what's going to happen and that there's nothing that can stop it happening and all you want more than anything is for what's going to happen to be prevented somehow. The entire second half of that show is so beautifully tragic it makes me sad just reminiscing about it

eso76

There's an old Tom & Jerry episode where it's implied that Tom is getting beheaded off screen, executed by guillotine.

I was wrecked, shocked. I couldn't believe they did this to Tom. I mean, it's a pretty shitty thing to do, wtf were they thinking ?
I still want to punch whoever wrote the episode in the face. Repeatedly.

There's an old Tom & Jerry episode where it's implied that Tom is getting beheaded off screen, executed by guillotine.

I was wrecked, shocked. I couldn't believe they did this to Tom. I mean, it's a pretty shitty thing to do, wtf were they thinking ?

How about the episode Blue Cat Blues where Tom and Jerry both kill themselves after losing the loves of their lives to other men?

hqdefault.jpg

Now that's depressing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sorry everyone, Grave of the Fireflies exists and trumps your paltry children's movies and shows.

grave-5.png

Even worse is when you realize the author of the original story based it on his actual life and what happened to his sister.

That didn't make me sad, it just made me pissed off at the brother for being a self-centered prick.

It's his fault that his sister died and he failed in being an older brother.

Personally this scene does nothing for me, but everything from
Andy saying goodbye to his mom and to leaving his toys with Bonnie makes me weak.

Same from a writer point of view, the furnace scene is pointless and adds nothing to the movie other than being a cheap moment to incite a reaction from the audience.

When ash decides to leave Pikachu behind.

6lqhwMd.jpg

Funfact this was the first episode that aired when the animé returned back on air in Japan after the Porygon seizure incident, which was ironically caused by Pikachu.

I also have to say I have a hard time with all the Simon/Marcy backstory in Adventure Time because it's really fucking terrible and sad in a place where, while there's often emotional moments, you don't usually get that. My kids love that show and watch it all the time and I'm over on the sofa secretly wiping tears.

Oh get the FUCK out of here w/ that movie. Watched it when I was like 15 and legitimately cried my eyes out for hours afterwards. To this day I've never watched it again and it is by far the saddest movie I've ever watched, animated or otherwise.

There is nothing sadder than this pick. (Sister making the 'food' out of dirt balls, oh god just kill me)

There are so many good posts in here, each one reminding me of the exact feelings I went through watching.

Honestly, though, I've tried several times to watch Grave, but have not ever been able to make it past the half way mark. I know it's gonna wreck me, especially after reading everyone's posts in these threads. I don't think I'll ever be able to.

Tie between the last few episodes of all 3 seasons of Bojack Horseman and Grave of the Firelies. Might actually give the edge to Bojack because some of that shit hits close to home.

Edzi

Clannad: After Story was one of the most emotionally draining thing I've ever watched. I went through the second half in essentially one sitting, so when I got to the latter parts with Tomoya and his daughter, I legitimately lost it.

The abrupt ending of 5 Centimeters Per Second also deserves a mention.

bman94

toystory3.jpg

It's how the film should have ended... especially if they wanted to really scar little kids for life. ;)

Fuck. I remember watching this in theatres with my nephew thinking "they can't be doing this...they can't be fucking serious??!??!!"

I8De483.jpg

Actually, forget Grave of the Fireflies. This is the saddest moment.

This hurts so much as a Gohan fan.

For me, Steins;Gate:

Mayuri constantly dieing and Okabe not being able to do anything but to see his best friend die over and over.

Hydrus

Ok serious post: Hey Arnold's Christmas episode with Mr. Hyunh's story about his long lost daughter was pretty damn sad from what I could remember. To bad there isnt any decent video clip around without lame music.

anigif_optimized-11566-1449430800-9.gif

grid-cell-32225-1449431939-2.jpg

grid-cell-32225-1449431940-5.jpg

anigif_enhanced-14798-1449429031-2.gif

anigif_original-grid-image-26550-1449429077-8.gif

anigif_enhanced-20934-1449432651-2.gif

anigif_enhanced-21256-1449433040-2.gif

enhanced-20046-1449439103-1.jpg

enhanced-26309-1449433368-1.jpg
Sorry for all the images

This post made me laugh. yeah its pretty crazy how that happened

Sorry everyone, Grave of the Fireflies exists and trumps your paltry children's movies and shows.

grave-5.png

Even worse is when you realize the author of the original story based it on his actual life and what happened to his sister.

I have endured this movie 3 times, alone and with company, It ended up with tears every single time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom