• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saddest moments in a cartoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry everyone, Grave of the Fireflies exists and trumps your paltry children's movies and shows.

grave-5.png

Even worse is when you realize the author of the original story based it on his actual life and what happened to his sister.

Truth

Morat

Banned
Sorry everyone, Grave of the Fireflies exists and trumps your paltry children's movies and shows.

grave-5.png

Even worse is when you realize the author of the original story based it on his actual life and what happened to his sister.

The only possible answer. If anyone can actually beat this I will be impressed.

Final episode of south park season 17 (The Hobbit) had quite a depressing ending with Wendy giving into peer pressure using photoshop to change how she looks in pictures after trying so hard to stay happy and proud of her own body and how she looks. She was literally crying while she was doing it.

Pretty important message I feel for the children of this current age.

bosseye

Grave of the Fireflies. It actually made me weep real tears, just the saddest animated thing I've ever seen. I feel sad just thinking about it.

( . _.)

;_;

Ray Down

Banned
tumblr_nixgcxzK1j1rkxjvao1_500.gif

From one of the GOAT series of all time, and the GOAT fictional sports story in any media. I need
a second year from the crew
Inoue, and I need it now.. after the other two series are done. :)

That destroyed me, poor Sakuragi. The following chapters are also sad with him still dealing with it.

Did you read the small after chapter he did?

olympia

grave-5.png

fuck being the saddest cartoon, this is one of the saddest films ever

Omadahl

Banned

grave-5.png

This isn't even fair. That is one of the saddest movies ever made period.

There was an episode of Animaniacs where a young boy living in a car with his family gets a toy for his birthday from his dad. The boy is so appreciative that he saves the gift wrap. It made 9 year old me cry and go up to my parents and thank them for everything.

DrMungo

grave-5.png

Yo, the last time I saw this movie was in 2001, and thinking about it still give me chills. Especially because I have kids now

Don Hertzfeld's World of Tomorrow.

The final scene where older Emily extracts a memory she has long forgotten made me tear up.

That short said a lot about what it means to grow up and truly age through experience. That final scene was the cherry on the subtly sad sundae.

It's on Netflix and its only 15 minutes long. Check it out.

Lots of good ones posted so far but noticed no Kung Fu Panda 2 with the massacre of the Panda villaga by Lord Shen. I know we find out in 3 that some of the Pandas survived but it was a pretty powerful scene at the time.

game-boi

I'm pretty sure that nothing will ever compare to or replace Grave of The Fireflies in the minds of many (self included). The film is heartbreaking enough but knowing that it's based off of the author's firsthand experience makes it even more tragic.

When_the_Wind_Blows_1986.jpeg

...but if there's anything that can potentially rival it, my vote goes to When the Wind Blows, the follow up to raymond Briggs' The Snowman (awesomely already mentioned in this thread). It offers up similar themes as GotF, but manages to make them more bleak even if it's fictional. Fans of 80's music take note: Roger Waters dominates the soundtrack that also features Genesis and a title song by David Bowie.

220px-Plaguedogsposter.jpg

I also haven't seen anyone mention The Plague Dogs. The novel is a bit different (and significantly more grim). I won't ruin it for those that haven't seen it, but it can be extremely tough to watch and sad for folks who are fond of four pawed creatures. Definitely one of the most haunting animated features I've seen.

EGM1966

The only possible answer. If anyone can actually beat this I will be impressed.
Nothing tops it I've seen.

Closest I can think of is Dumbo/Mother scene and Bambi/Mother scene and certain scenes in Watership Down.

To come close to Grave you'd need to move beyond animation to stuff like Reqium For A Dream IMHO.

Morat

Banned
Nothing tops it I've seen.

Closest I can think of is Dumbo/Mother scene and Bambi/Mother scene and certain scenes in Watership Down.

To come close to Grave you'd need to move beyond animation to stuff like Reqium For A Dream IMHO.

Watership Down is a good call actually. Hs it already been mentioned in the thread?

Hit me hard when I first read the manga, but seeing Iggy get kicked to death, and watching their spirits ascend in the anime with the accompanying music absolutely destroyed me.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!

grave-5.png

Dr: "All this child needs is some food."

Me=Done.

T-Rex.

Banned
When you realise the significance of the tin they find alongside his body in Grave of the Fireflies ;_________;

BoJack Horseman: Season 3, Episode 11.

The final two lines...

Sarah Lynn?
Sarah Lynn?

Chills down my goddamn spine and I was waiting for it all episode and they just punch me in the gut.

Paulie_C

Neo Member
Watching the Good Dinosaur with my 4yo daughter, she asked me afterwards if I was going to go away too like the dinosaur's father.

I said "Yes but not for a long long time when you're all grown up." That didn't work, she cried her eyes out. It broke my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom