• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saddest moments in a cartoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
Goshdamnit, I just came in here to post the end of the 1st Pokemon Movie. I mean, like... I'm only halfway through Bojack Season 3. I already saw the
Underwater and Abortion
episodes. How much rougher does it get? Can Season 2's 11th Episode even be topped? ... Bojack totally gets into a friendship-ruining fight with Todd, Diane, Mr. PB, or Princess Carolyn, doesn't he?

Goku's sacrifice during the Cell Games.

SSLzeb.gif

I've cried like a little girl.. I already feel like tearing up thinking about this moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3l2tTz09A

Eh... I love DBZ, but Goku kinda doomed everyone to sate his bloodlust when he powered up Cell. I mean, don't get me wrong, Cell freaked me out, and this didn't help, but I wasn't sad. Gohan's death, on the other hand.

Goku's sacrifice during the Cell Games.

SSLzeb.gif

I've cried like a little girl.. I already feel like tearing up thinking about this moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3l2tTz09A

yes! that's why gohan is such a cunt. glad he faded away

the death of piccolo

https://youtu.be/m6e87SZnChI?t=12m21s

majin vegeta;s sacrifice

https://youtu.be/m6e87SZnChI?t=14m45s

death of Bora by Tao Pai Pai

https://youtu.be/m6e87SZnChI?t=21m18s

death of kirllin by the Great Demon King Piccolo

https://youtu.be/m6e87SZnChI?t=24m46s

master roshi's death

https://youtu.be/kP35iZ6asLw?t=1m48s

shit i dedicated too much time into this

This thread motivated to finally watch Grave of the Fireflies.

I feel bad because I didn't cry a whole lot, but on the other hand I knew exactly what I was getting myself into, so nothing in this came as a shock to me. Masterfully made movie, and probably one of the most heartwrenching I've seen.

I just watched the episode of Rick and Morty that keeps being brought up. What was the thing he unfroze and killed before attempting suicide? I was surprised that that wasn't explained at all, unless I completely missed something.

AniHawk

I just watched the episode of Rick and Morty that keeps being brought up. What was the thing he unfroze and killed before attempting suicide? I was surprised that that wasn't explained at all, unless I completely missed something.

it's not explained. he just needs it to power the machine.

it's not explained. he just needs it to power the machine.
It seemed like those crystals powered the machine, he went out of his way to kill that blob thing before trying to kill himself. It seems like he could have easily just turned the ray thing on himself first.

Baleoce

Transformers the movie. I saw that as a child in the theatre and I was real upset after I saw what happened to optimus. Bunch of other kids in the theatre were too since you could hear crying in the theatre when that scene happened.
Yup this is what instantly sprang to mind for me too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It seemed like those crystals powered the machine, he went out of his way to kill that blob thing before trying to kill himself. It seems like he could have easily just turned the ray thing on himself first.

I always thought that the way he pets it was a way for us to see that he cared for it a little bit, at least as much as Rick can care for something, and that him using it to test out the machine was another way to show us how much he was hurting. He just wanted to die.

eso76

On a lighter note

tumblr_n2yk8kpzbx1r2dgsfo2_500.gif

I remember the collective "NOOOO" from the audience in the theatre when this was shown :)

I always thought that the way he pets it was a way for us to see that he cared for it a little bit, at least as much as Rick can care for something, and that him using it to test out the machine was another way to show us how much he was hurting. He just wanted to die.
That's pretty much how I took it, just thought it was weird that it was frozen, seemed like there was a bit more a backstory there.

Nothing will beat "Your Lie in April" for me. The whole series is amazing but the last episode despite being hinted heavily. I bawled. That show still makes me sad to think about in the best way possible.

AnoHana is incredibly sad too and the song is basically a tear trigger at this point but it just doesn't reach the same point.

Paz

Was this just way sadder in the original compared to the new series? Cause I saw the original ten or so years ago and thought it was one of the saddest things in anime, saw the other version and it wasn't all that affective.

Yeah the new series moves at such a brisk pace it feels almost like a non-event, the original series traumatized me with this plot :(

KevinCow

Banned
"Hey, let's watch Up! It's a silly movie about an old man who ties balloons to his house to fly away!"

I did not expect those first 15 minutes from that movie.

Plaguefox

As a child it was seeing He-Man near death in The Secret of The Sword :(
000-37-Newly-Minted-She-Ra-640x468.png
Man I couldn't take it that seriously with them calling that phone booth THE PLUNDER ROOM. It was so good hearing the narrator get all dramatic about... THE PLUNDER ROOM.

It's a phone booth that saps your will to live. Too good.

AniHawk

all, right i'll toss in episode 10 of madoka magica - the scene before the second commercial break
where homura mercy-kills madoka

Joyful

the final episode of kinos journey

I cant even spoil it its too sad

also the ep of Death Note where
you know who dies
is basically perfect, I tear up everytime

This scene got me emotional but was never one of the saddest. Two things in that arc alone are more emotional. Then again, I'm like the only person that found Brook's backstory ok while was really affected by all their other flashbacks. Damn you can make an entire saddest moments series out OP alone.. so fuck it I will:

- Sanji's end of the flashback followed up with "I owe you a hell of a lot!"
- "I won't ever lose again!" Zoro shortly afterwards
- Nami's entire backstory.
- "When does a man die? When he is hit by a bullet? No! When he suffers a disease? No! When he ate a soup made out of a poisonous mushroom? No! A man dies when he is forgotten!" AHHHH.. This is my favorite speech/line in OP. I love it. Oda took a known saying and expertly added it to his story. I get feels whenever I see this.
- "It hurts..." Luffy crying after the fight at Water 7 followed up by Robin's backstory in that saga.
- Last few scenes of Archipelago arc.
-
Ace's
death
- "I love you!" to Law, in the backstory. You know who it is that says it. On top of that the speech that he says when he shot him it didn't even hurt, that Law was hurting so much more. Fuck, I love this backstory. :'(

Robin's and Law's backstories are my favorite backstories in OP since they're reading bliss for me hitting all angles. I am still salty over
Law not defeating but Luffy doing it because he's the main character
in the Dressrosa arc. After all that he had went through. :'(

The saddest moment in OP for me is probably a unlikely candidate since I don't see it as much, but it's this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CkzaJiGmJQ

The flashback inbetween made this scene more powerful. Always dislike Garp after that war. I know Oda is likely setting it up so he does the opposite in the future, but there's no redeeming him in my eyes. Hold this L Garp, there's no respekk for you name. :\

BibiMaghoo

The beginning of 'Up' was fucking horrific. Still strikes me as a pretty fucked up way to start a family film. Many of them start with a tragedy of some kind, but damn...

Hmm, guess maybe not considered a cartoon.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Just finished watching BoJack Horseman S3 last night. Those last 2 episodes... wow. I just wanna go home and lie in bed all day.

Lots of good examples already posted, but one that got me years ago was the ending to Chrno Crusade (spoilers).

It's weird because the anime itself wasn't that good, and I'd find it hard to recommend to anyone, but the ending (and the ED song) was superbly done. It was really good and hits you right in the feels.

IcqyitH.jpg

The whole scene at the end of Lisa's Substitute where she's saying goodbye to Mr. Bergstrom. Yeardly Smith does a great job. I tested up a lil bit.

Astral

You guys weren't kidding about Grave of the Fireflies. I mean, you see it coming. It shows you in the very beginning what's gonna happen. I've seen movies where
children die
before but this one just had me tearing up throughout. Just knowing that
she was gonna die
was enough. That final montage was just the saddest shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom