• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai confirms Smash trailer at E3 direct!

I don't want to be "that guy" but I am pretty worried this game is going to be rushed to hell. Sakurai seemed disinterested in it for a long time and has only been working on SSB4 for about a year. Couple that in with Nintendo in panic mode and I'm worried they are just trying to push this game out like they did NSMB 2.

Disinterest? Dude, the guy's deliberately causing long term damage to his arm just to get the thing done. I wouldn't call that disinterest. Not to mention there's been no mention when this will be released, and the Brawl trailer was released at E3 2006, two years before the game released and only 7 months after the game started development. So yeah, chill.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Bring back JAPAN TIME Sakurai! Hope we'll get to see the WiiU AND the 3DS version with release dates.

McNum

Is there a video of the E3 this was shown in? I would love to see the reaction of the crowd!
Yes.

The Super Smash Bros. Brawl trailer wasn't actually shown off at the press conference, but in a second smaller event the next day. People were completely blindsided by it... and then the last character in the trailer got revealed.

The new Smash is actually getting a better billing than Brawl did at E3.

NewGame

Banned
Sakurai jumps onto the stage and KO's Reggie! The stage fireworks go off and the new trailer plays. The crowd is in awed silence before roaring with hype.

Mmm. Believe.

thuway

I honestly cannot believe that there is a 3DS version. I wonder how close to the WiiU version it will be or if it will be a different styled game.

Tekken 6 and Soul Calbiur 5 had direct ports to PSP. Expect something similar. People don't play on the 3DS for fidelity. Lower the resolution, drop out expensive texture, reduce shadow maps, and destroy particle effects- you have a handheld port good sir.

Ein Bear

I don't want to be "that guy" but I am pretty worried this game is going to be rushed to hell. Sakurai seemed disinterested in it for a long time and has only been working on SSB4 for about a year. Couple that in with Nintendo in panic mode and I'm worried they are just trying to push this game out like they did NSMB 2.

I kind of think they should hurry along a little. Brawl was an incredible game, but took far too long to develop for what it was IMO. It didn't actually release for another two years after the announcement trailer.

Lets GO!!!!
Bayonetta_Kirby_by_Triple_Q.jpg

Zomba13

I cant imagine playing a Smash game without a GCN controller.

Yeah. Might be hard. They should at least allow Pro controller support. If not then at leas with the GC > Wii mote thingie you should be able to use a GC pad even if the game thinks it's a CC pro or whatever.

Is there a video of the E3 this was shown in? I would love to see the reaction of the crowd!

That's the crazy part. It wasn't shown at the conference, it was shown at a roundtable and later put on the web.

It's this, and the knowledge that this was the most hyped Nintendo trailer this side of Twilight Princess, that makes me think people worried about Directs not bringing the hype are talking nonsense.

J@hranimo

Banned
While this is all exciting, I just remembered Sakurai had an arm injury. Hopefully he's a lot better now and it hasn't affected the development team too much.

I kind of think they should hurry along a little. Brawl was an incredible game, but took far too long to develop for what it was IMO. It didn't actually release for another two years after the announcement trailer.

And Brawl had only been in development 7 months when we got the reveal trailer in '06.

Jawmuncher

If its anything like Brawls reveal ill lose my shit. Even though a big part of that was due to snake for me, it still stands as one of the best game reveals to date.

Guess you weren't around in 1999.

im talking about now. had the original the day it came out.

Yeah. Might be hard. They should at least allow Pro controller support. If not then at leas with the GC > Wii mote thingie you should be able to use a GC pad even if the game thinks it's a CC pro or whatever.

yeah, hoping for pro controller. ill have to buy a stack of them if thats the case too.

heringer

I think they probably announced a 3DS version because, at the time, 3DS was struggling. Now that the handheld is selling in droves and a constant stream of software is being released for it I would argue we don't even need the 3DS version.

*runs for cover*

3DS is not out of the woods yet. Not in the West anyway. They still need strong IPs like SSB.

I think they probably announced a 3DS version because, at the time, 3DS was struggling. Now that the handheld is selling in droves and a constant stream of software is being released for it I would argue we don't even need the 3DS version.

*runs for cover*

Did EatChildren sent you?! He's convinced the 3DS version will be cancelled. It's coming fellas.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Well that takes all the fun out of it. I wish I did not know.

Why is everyone go nuts? That was more than obvious, not a reason to start the Hype Train.

"start"? Someone hasn't been visiting the Nintendo E3 thread. That said, we all pretty much knew that it was going to be a trailer, but there were a lot of naysayers that it would only be a few images (as per Iwata's original statement).

As for the 3DS version... Of COURSE they will show the 3DS version. Not only that, I'd say they are very likely to show some sort of cross-game play between the two. Whether that's full roster or not... I wouldn't exactly bet on that... but I guess it's possible since Sakurai said he wanted to reign in the cast a bit.

Jawmuncher

Tekken 6 and Soul Calbiur 5 had direct ports to PSP. Expect something similar. People don't play on the 3DS for fidelity. Lower the resolution, drop out expensive texture, reduce shadow maps, and destroy particle effects- you have a handheld port good sir.

I'm just hoping we get some sort of cross feature. Would be cool to get stickers on the go for example then load up that progress back onto the WiiU version.

NeonZ

Did EatChildren sent you?! He's convinced the 3DS version will be cancelled. It's coming fellas.

Sakurai has mentioned the 3DS version, but all E3 material from Nintendo has only mentioned the Wii U version. At the very least, I guess this trailer is going to be Wii U only.

Skip to Pit's reveal.

Or y'know... Snake. That bit was pretty damn impressive.

Sakurai has mentioned the 3DS version, but all E3 material from Nintendo has only mentioned the Wii U version. At the very least, I guess this trailer is going to be Wii U only.

Don't think there's much basis for that. They haven't mentioned much about the game overall. We don't even know its title.

Top Bottom