• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

BraXzy

It's raining S8's now, our Orchid Grey model just turned up at work for testing purposes. Do I have a play on it now or wait to get my hands on my own at home?

Ultryx

For what it's worth I've had nothing like this since mine arrived. At all.

That screams defective touch screen rather than UI lag tbh.

I hope not man. Last Android phone I had was the Galaxy S5. Like previous Android phones I've had, it slowly spirals down the shitter and performance decreases. Jumped back to iPhone 5S which has been my daily driver since. Do not let me down Samsung. My iPhone can be a little wonky at times, but that's probably because it survived major water damage, I replaced the battery, and the screen wouldn't stay locked into place anymore. It was a disaster. My solution? Super glue that bitch in place to the frame LOL.

Phone will be here by 8 PM today. Please, please, please don't have the red issues!

Morts

I was going to upgrade to a S7 now that they're starting to get discounted, but here I am reading this thread like an idiot.

Limit

My s8 is arriving today and I have been trying to figure out the online activation process just so that I am prepared for it. Getting the phone via Samsung (t mobile version) and one of the steps for online activation is linking the tmobile account at samsung. Unfortunately I am getting stuck there. I keep getting the error "unable to verify credentials at this time". Is this an issue I am encountering simply because I haven't received and registered my S8 yet?

BraXzy

Watch some videos of
halo 5

kappa

Watched one while the phone was submerged in the sink
because that game's ded in tha water for me
kappa ;)

Just using the AKG earbuds that come with the phone... incredibly comfy as far as earbuds go. Comfy fit, the shape sits in your ear really well and it doesn't pop out when you blink slightly. Sounds good enough to me too. Impressed.

Ultryx

My s8 is arriving today and I have been trying to figure out the online activation process just so that I am prepared for it. Getting the phone via Samsung (t mobile version) and one of the steps for online activation is linking the tmobile account at samsung. Unfortunately I am getting stuck there. I keep getting the error "unable to verify credentials at this time". Is this an issue I am encountering simply because I haven't received and registered my S8 yet?

Could be nothing wrong on your end, but Samsung's end being hammered by requests?

pitchfork

Fuck it! coughed up the extra moolah for the clear view stand case on Amazon. All PRIME options are sold out and back ordered until 25th so had to go with a standard delivery seller, but its local so hopefully only a couple of days

My greasy mitts are bringing my OCD out though!!

gamz

Thurrott's in love:

My Samsung Galaxy S8+ arrived this morning, and it's going to take quite a while to get up and running with this new handset. But first impressions matter. And the Galaxy S8+ is stunning.

Leo observed yesterday on Windows Weekly that the tall, edge-to-edge display on the new Galaxy S8 and S8+ would make all previous smartphone designs—most of which feature fairly prominent ”forehead" and ”chin" bezels at the top and bottom—seem instantly obsolete and old-fashioned. He's right: From the moment you pull this object of lust out of its packaging, you can feel it welling up inside of you: For the first time in a long time, especially for a non-Apple device, this new Galaxy triggers a Gollum-like sense of want. And you thought smartphones had gotten boring.

There is a lot going on here, a lot to test. And of course, my ongoing testing of less expensive Android handsets too. So I'll check in from time to time as these tests continue. But know this: Samsung absolutely just raised the bar. And the rest of the industry is going to have to rally to try and catch up.
More soon.

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/109747/samsung-galaxy-s8-first-impressions

Tempted to check it out tomorrow. Hmmm....

Mine just arrived!

gorgeous phone is gorgeous

17952436_642797502575674_1530003295825041039_n.jpg

Faawwwwwk i have to wait until tomorrow to get mines from best buy......

giphy.gif

BraXzy

Something immediately noticable and something I didn't really get from reviews I watched... The back of this phone is a complete fingerprint magnet. Maybe my hands are a bit oily at the minute, but I handled the phone for a minute and it looked like an abstract painting on the back. Just a heads up.

Watched one while the phone was submerged in the sink
because that game's ded in tha water for me
kappa ;)

Just using the AKG earbuds that come with the phone... incredibly comfy as far as earbuds go. Comfy fit, the shape sits in your ear really well and it doesn't pop out when you blink slightly. Sounds good enough to me too. Impressed.

Im glad the earbuds are good! would you say better than the stock samsung earbuds from before?

J-Skee

For anyone that has an S8, have you guys tried the Smart Switch app for transferring stuff from your old phone? Did SMS/MMS & call logs get transferred as well?

Pepiope

For anyone that has an S8, have you guys tried the Smart Switch app for transferring stuff from your old phone? Did SMS/MMS & call logs get transferred as well?
Those did not for me. Everything else worked really well. It even transferred Wi-Fi passwords.

So the message that I would receive it on the 18th was indeed a mistake, sent out too early by the the delivery company. I received it today, S8 Orchid Grey...what a beautiful thing.

aVP15CK.jpg

The Orchid Grey back didn't show up so well via my sister's S6 camera and lighting in the room. But the colour is fantastic and more subdued, which I like.

sk7XIPT.jpg

A couple of silly questions:

1) Can the original version of the Gear VR (from having preordered the S7) work with the S8, or do you need the newer Gear VR? (Which I know is free with most preorders, but I'm not able to preorder due to AT&T messing up)

2) Can cases for the regular (non-edge) S7 work with the regular (non +) S8?

pitchfork

Faawwwwwk i have to wait until tomorrow to get mines from best buy......

giphy.gif

; )

Something immediately noticable and something I didn't really get from reviews I watched... The back of this phone is a complete fingerprint magnet. Maybe my hands are a bit oily at the minute, but I handled the phone for a minute and it looked like an abstract painting on the back. Just a heads up.

Yup! got the midnight black and my OCD stress level is rising haha! case cant get here soon enough!

BFIB

A couple of silly questions:

1) Can the original version of the Gear VR (from having preordered the S7) work with the S8, or do you need the newer Gear VR? (Which I know is free with most preorders, but I'm not able to preorder due to AT&T messing up)

2) Can cases for the regular (non-edge) S7 work with the regular (non +) S8?

The old VR works, you just need to install the USB type B to C adapter included with your phone.

And no, you will need a new case.

My call log and messages transferred over.

Btw this is the best phone I have ever had the pleasure of using. The clear case I bought was a complete waste as it messed with the aesthetics too much for me. I also bought this super thin black spigen case that I think looks great with it. Obviously the phone looks better without a case, but this one was a great option.

Here's a link to the case I'm talking about if anyone is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XP4LGHJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

BestBuy gonna keep my phone hostage until tomorrow. Because they're supposed to do that.

BREAK THE RULES DAMMNIT. I need my expensive electronic thing. I'm developing a slight... twitch.

Just sitting here, refreshing my FedEx tracking info every few minutes. I'm hoping they deliver before my apartment office closes @ 5, because apparently no delivery person on the face of the earth understands how a call box works.

J-Skee

Those did not for me. Everything else worked really well. It even transferred Wi-Fi passwords.

I tried it and it wouldn't install on my Xperia.

My call log and messages transferred over.

Hmmm, getting different answers. Doesn't make me too confident.

BestBuy gonna keep my phone hostage until tomorrow. Because they're supposed to do that.

BREAK THE RULES DAMMNIT. I need my expensive electronic thing. I'm developing a slight... twitch.

Man, I got that email this morning & I damn near called them about to ask if I can just get it now.

BFIB

Wouldn't that cause the phone not to fit in the Gear VR, though?
Where the USB adapter sits, you should be able to adjust it's length. It should be able to slide back to accomodate the larger S8 plus. I had to use this method on my Note 7.

Sanjuro

Updated tracking,

"Customer not Available or Business Closed"

FedEx guy did not ring the doorbell.

Frantically called into customer service. They got in touch with dispatch and the guy came back! Phone acquired.

Where the USB adapter sits, you should be able to adjust it's length. It should be able to slide back to accomodate the larger S8 plus. I had to use this method on my Note 7.

Ah, I see.

Other than the controller, any reason to get the new Gear VR if I already have the original Gear VR, then?
And can the controller be purchased separately / work on an original Gear VR?

Ultryx

Just scanned at my local facility at 8:59 AM. I have an appointment at my university at 11 AM. I swear it better not come while I'm away.

I'm pretty sure someone has to sign for it, but I might leave a note saying I expect to return at 12:15 PM or so. Maybe I'll ask if they'll leave it in a safe spot on our property. This wait is freaking killing me!

MrMobile from android authority gave the iris scanner a pretty positive review even with glasses.

I don't know if it's just me that notices, but the fingerprint​ scanner is in the EXACT same place they put the heart rate scanner on the S7/edge, under the flash.

Again don't know if it's just me, but that is easy as hell to get my finger on. I don't exactly have small hands but I don't need to use two hands to reach that in the slightest. It's nothing more than a grip adjustment.

Coupled with the fact that basically every phone case has a deliberate sloping ridge to guide your finger to it, it's pretty easy to find too.

I've had my S7E since launch so I know it inside out now, but I have a pretty good feeling that in time, having the scanner on the S8 where the S7s heart rate monitor is, will be less and less of an issue.

So now that I have my S8 plus I guess I'll update this.

As I thought, the fingerprint scanner is easy as hell for me to use.

Again, I don't know if it's because I got myself used to putting g my finger on the heart rate monitor on my S7E, but the fingerprint scanner is so easy to use......

I literally cannot BELIEVE the way professional reviewers, ESPECIALLY those with large hands (sorry mkbhd but....) are behaving like they have to use two hands to use the scanner.......wtf?. Just stop. Please. Just stop.

With any kind of case or even a skin, it's incredibly easy to feel for the scanner.

For those with smaller hands, okay. These phones are tall. Especially the plus. That doesn't change the fact that it takes the same if not more effort to swipe down the notification bar. You use the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone and dont use it again till you stop using the phone lo g enough that the screen goes off. Pulling on the notification bar is a much more frequent task and much harder for small hands. Yet everyone is hung up on the scanner.

And we're not even talking about the fact that instead of having to press the home button first like on the S7E, we can just touch the scanner and i stantly be in the phone. Thats a level of improvement to the point where I couldn't be assed to even use the S7E scanner due to the extra to.e and step it took.

Maybe it's the fact that the S7E is the only phone I've owned with a fingerprint scanner, but it seems to me like many people, ESPECIALLY reviewers with huuuuuuugr hands, are more upset that they have to adjust their muscle memory to do so.ething different, more than the S8s scanner is "wrong". It reminds me of the days where phones would get marked down because they didn't "feel like an iphone".

I'm not saying that the scanner location is perfect, but after using it myself I can't help but be annoyed by the fact that almost every review or preview I've seen apart from youtubetechguy had me fretting about something that is actually pretty damn simple to use.

/rant

BFIB

Ah, I see.

Other than the controller, any reason to get the new Gear VR if I already have the original Gear VR, then?
And can the controller be purchased separately / work on an original Gear VR?
The new VR has a little wider view I believe. And it's USB type C by default, but other than that, no big changes.

Top Bottom