• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Can anyone tell me how the edge notification light works? I enabled it when the screen is off and still have yet to see it light up? Does it not work for any of the apps I have enabled it for? Hangouts, Gmail, messages, WhatsApp

I think it only works when the screen is face down?

At least that's how it worked when my s7 received calls.

BFIB

I can't get Samsung Pay set up. It just hangs on the start screen, loading in perpituity. I've deleted and installed the app three times now and keep getting the same thing. I'd like to log out of my Samsung account to try it that way, but I don't see any option on the phone to do that.
Did you do a transfer? I had this issue on my Note and ended up resetting and setting up as a new phone.

I agree completely. When marques said it was difficult, it had me worried, but I have no problem at all reaching the sensor and I don't even have to stretch. It's not confusing and I have yet to touch the camera by mistake. It just seems like it was way overblown

It kills me when all the reviewers have to do is move their palm up. I can reach behind my 6s+ easily. It's hilarious to me.

BraXzy

Now home and I finally have the thing in my hands. It's an engineering masterpiece... compared to the S7E it's so sleek and smooth in the hand. I feel incredibly bad putting this thing in a case but it needs to be done.

I'm really happy with the case I went with. I've got the Spigen Neo-Hybrid. It's a tiny bit sharper than I'd like on the edges, compared to the phone itself at least, but it's nothing major. It feels quality in the hand, the backs texture gives it a tiny bit of extra grip.I'm impressed with the add-on buttons, I feared they'd feel cheap but they're nice and solid and clicky.

The best part though, is the back cut out for the camera and co make it easier to find the fingerprint scanner. Instead of hunting blind I immediately reach for the edge of the cut out and go from there. Oh and for those worried about the placement... I barely have to stretch my finger when holding it normally with one hand. Either all the reviewers have tiny hands or the issue is a little overblown. At least on the standard S8.

Izayoi

Banned
Using the ear buds right now and they are alright. Nothing mind blowing, but better than the average pack-in for sure. A little lacking on the low-end for my taste.

J-Skee

Now home and I finally have the thing in my hands. It's an engineering masterpiece... compared to the S7E it's so sleek and smooth in the hand. I feel incredibly bad putting this thing in a case but it needs to be done.

I'm really happy with the case I went with. I've got the Spigen Neo-Hybrid. It's a tiny bit sharper than I'd like on the edges, compared to the phone itself at least, but it's nothing major. It feels quality in the hand, the backs texture gives it a tiny bit of extra grip.I'm impressed with the add-on buttons, I feared they'd feel cheap but they're nice and solid and clicky.

The best part though, is the back cut out for the camera and co make it easier to find the fingerprint scanner. Instead of hunting blind I immediately reach for the edge of the cut out and go from there. Oh and for those worried about the placement... I barely have to stretch my finger when holding it normally with one hand. Either all the reviewers have tiny hands or the issue is a little overblown. At least on the standard S8.

Have you noticed any red tint on your device?

BraXzy

Have you noticed any red tint on your device?

I'm still literally setting it up as we speak, so I'll have a bit of a play around and see. Is there any easily noticeable way to check?

https://youtu.be/W_J2dCDl_tg

So the included headphones are actually "samsung earbuds tuned by akg"

That is a big difference haha.

Anyone here wanna give some impressions on them? Are they worth the $100 MSRP?

They're now my work earphones and they are great. Idk if they are "worth the MSRP" because I'm cheap and wouldn't spend that much on earphones but I can say I'm happy with them.

To answer G0SU's question from before, I had tried the pack in earphones from I think the S7 Edge and they were horrific. It didn't sit right in my ear, it sounded like I was listening to it underwater, it fell out of my ear at the slightest resistance to the wire. Horrid.

The pack in earphones with this are comfortable. Sound great (I am not an audiophile so they might be just average to some idk). But they're perfectly fine for me with good base. They sit really nicely in my ear, and stay put even with a bit of a tug on the wire. I have zero complaints.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Would we say a screen protector is essential? I have a case bought, basic though I'll admit

Izayoi

Banned
Would we say a screen protector is essential? I have a case bought, basic though I'll admit
A basic case is fine. Even without a case the S8 is built like a tank.

I'm still wishy-washy about a screen protector. I ran without one on the S7, but it did not have a curved screen.

I'm conflicted...

BraXzy

The screen feels so good to the touch I wouldn't want to put one on either way. I didn't have one on my last and it did fine. Based on drop/scratch test vids I've seen on YT I'm sure this will be fine unless you really give it a beating.

I think a decent case should be enough :)

Edit: Just went to set up the iris scanner and it mentions not to use unofficial screen protectors because it can mess up the iris scanner. Idk if that's true or if it's just a disclaimer but word of warning for anyone who really likes that feature.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
A basic case is fine. Even without a case the S8 is built like a tank.

I'm still wishy-washy about a screen protector. I ran without one on the S7, but it did not have a curved screen.

I'm conflicted...

The screen feels so good to the touch I wouldn't want to put one on either way. I didn't have one on my last and it did fine. Based on drop/scratch test vids I've seen on YT I'm sure this will be fine unless you really give it a beating.

I think a decent case should be enough :)

Edit: Just went to set up the iris scanner and it mentions not to use unofficial screen protectors because it can mess up the iris scanner. Idk if that's true or if it's just a disclaimer but word of warning for anyone who really likes that feature.
i had one on my iPhone which was dropped a few times in the bathroom and the screen protector was fine, started to peel though. Don't think I'll get one for this.

Kamek

I think it only works when the screen is face down?

At least that's how it worked when my s7 received calls.

Hmm. I'll try it out. But I thought you'd get notification lights for like let's say a text or email. I haven't seen that yet when sending an email to myself.

Anyone else know how the edge notification light works?

Hulud

I'm still literally setting it up as we speak, so I'll have a bit of a play around and see. Is there any easily noticeable way to check?

They're now my work earphones and they are great. Idk if they are "worth the MSRP" because I'm cheap and wouldn't spend that much on earphones but I can say I'm happy with them.

To answer G0SU's question from before, I had tried the pack in earphones from I think the S7 Edge and they were horrific. It didn't sit right in my ear, it sounded like I was listening to it underwater, it fell out of my ear at the slightest resistance to the wire. Horrid.

The pack in earphones with this are comfortable. Sound great (I am not an audiophile so they might be just average to some idk). But they're perfectly fine for me with good base. They sit really nicely in my ear, and stay put even with a bit of a tug on the wire. I have zero complaints.

Go into the device settings because it's all white, then look around the edges of the screen.

jrcbandit

https://youtu.be/W_J2dCDl_tg

So the included headphones are actually "samsung earbuds tuned by akg"

That is a big difference haha.

Anyone here wanna give some impressions on them? Are they worth the $100 MSRP?

I was completely confused at first, I thought you were talking about the $100 headphones + 256GB SD card special deal you can purchase for pre-ordering the phone. I didn't realize Samsung was trying to charge $100 for the pack-in earbuds that are on par with $20-30 earbuds, lol.

I also agree. I only have the S8, but reaching the sensor is super easy and I haven't accidently touched the camera once. I don't understand how they made so many complaints about how often you are going to touch your camera.

It is still a little downside that it's on the back. It's just a minor inconvenience to pick it up off my desk to unlock instead of just tapping it with my thumb, but other than that, the sensor is solid.

have you used other phones with a rear fingerprint sensor?

that may be a part of it as all the reviewers have used many and they are all in a much lower spot, affecting their muscle memory.

Sanjuro

Yeahhhh babyyy

bVAXU7X.jpg

Loving everything so far.

Lagamorph

While I was waiting for things to transfer, I thought I'd take a comparison shot of my S8+ next to my Nexus 6P

02ANHen.jpg

Keep in mind that the S8+ screen is a full half inch bigger than the 6P (6.2" as opposed to 5.7"), so it's amazing that there is literally millimeters in terms of actual size difference.

JonnyKong

I think I've decided on the purple clear view case, but it's so pricy.

Am I crazy to be spending this much on a case? Anyone here got one and can vouch for them?

xkramz

How come while I'm using my s8+, the screen dim itself up after a few seconds? Shit is irking me bro.

If I'm reading a long article after a while it dim ups..

BriGuy

Did anyone else try to redeem the Gear VR and other shit yet? I submitted everything through their app and didn't get an invoice or anything. It doesn't even show up as a placed order.

xkramz

I think I've decided on the purple clear view case, but it's so pricy.

Am I crazy to be spending this much on a case? Anyone here got one and can vouch for them?
Are you male or female?

Check all of spigen clear cases. They are amazing. They have a glittery see through pink one and they have cleaar cases with kick stand, also a clear case with silver glitter. They are all dope and aesthetically pleasing.

jm89

Anyone get a chance to test the GPS? How does it compare to your old phone? I'm planning to use the s8+ for navigation. My xperia z3 GPS sucks ass.

JonnyKong

Are you male or female?

Check all of spigen clear cases. They are amazing. They have a glittery see through pink one and they have cleaar cases with kick stand, also a clear case with silver glitter. They are all dope and aesthetically pleasing.

I am all man.

So obviously I'll get the pink one.

While I was waiting for things to transfer, I thought I'd take a comparison shot of my S8+ next to my Nexus 6P

02ANHen.jpg

Keep in mind that the S8+ screen is a full half inch bigger than the 6P (6.2" as opposed to 5.7"), so it's amazing that there is literally millimeters in terms of actual size difference.
Damn, the Nexus 6P looks so dated next to the S8+.

02ANHen.jpg

Ha, I'm upgrading from a 6P to a S8+ as well!, thanks for the pics!

Came in. Feels so good to handle. Like the heft and weight it's got.

Sorry for the potato quality. Couldn't use the S8 to take the pic.

n9WUAiJ.jpg

Also, I wasn't planning on using the fingerprint sensor at all, but it's working really well for me so far. No denying having it in the front would have been easier, but I'm finding that the awkwardness of having it in the back has been severly exagerrated by reviewers. Super snappy, and works like a charm.

Also, heartrate sensor for selfies is pretty sweet.

TwIsTeD

Man i`m hype for this and I just bought an S7 to try out Android again - if I can survive the switch to Android for 30 days i`m all in on the S8 train

BraXzy

Go into the device settings because it's all white, then look around the edges of the screen.

Haven't noticed anything. I tweaked the red colour down a single step because it felt a bit off, but it's so hard to tell. Maybe after more time with it I might notice a particular colour being stronger but it looks fine to my eye.

I'm in love with this phone so far. I'm looking forward to giving it a proper run through for the day tomorrow.

Top Bottom