• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Tested the camera with a night shot
20170420_215838i6obr.jpg

This phone is made for multitasking, this is so comfortable with the big screen and fluidity.

Jeffrey

While I was waiting for things to transfer, I thought I'd take a comparison shot of my S8+ next to my Nexus 6P

02ANHen.jpg

Keep in mind that the S8+ screen is a full half inch bigger than the 6P (6.2" as opposed to 5.7"), so it's amazing that there is literally millimeters in terms of actual size difference.
Do remember different aspect ratio so the actual screen difference isn't that much bigger ;p

Oh you using the smart switch thing and it works fine. On nexus 6p?

Think I'll try it with my pixel

Lagamorph

Do remember different aspect ratio so the actual screen difference isn't that much bigger ;p

Oh you using the smart switch thing and it works fine. On nexus 6p?

Think I'll try it with my pixel

Yup, no issues with it.
Just download and install the Smart Switch app from the Play Store and then when you're setting up the S8+ it'll ask if you want to use it to transfer.

Make sure your S8 has a decent charge though. Mine started at 50% and the 6P ended up pulling power from it during the transfer process and dropping the charge to about 30%

Jeffrey

Yup, no issues with it.
Just download and install the Smart Switch app from the Play Store and then when you're setting up the S8+ it'll ask if you want to use it to transfer.

Make sure your S8 has a decent charge though. Mine started at 50% and the 6P ended up pulling power from it during the transfer process and dropping the charge to about 30%

Interesting. Wonder if this is more efficient than just letting Google restore your stuff.

Gonna go pick up my phone at lunch and hopefully get this stuff done at work haha.

BraXzy

I'm actually getting really used to the fingerprint scanner. Goddam.

It's incredibly fine on the S8, no issues. And my case really does make it a piece of cake to find. First phone I've had with one, it's so quick, I could get used to this!

Sanjuro

It's incredibly fine on the S8, no issues. And my case really does make it a piece of cake to find. First phone I've had with one, it's so quick, I could get used to this!

Yeah. I was shocked after hearing about all the negative reviews. If you had to push it in to activate or something it would be a different story.

Shepard

Lmao... not sure if I'm just being dumb, but I think I just found a bug?

Set up security on your phone like fingerprint/iris scanner.. whatever. Set up Google Assistant to activate from any screen. Lock the phone, then wake it up (to the lock screen). Say "OK Google". Press the home button.

Someone try this out?

Dont you have trusted voices on? Google has an option to unlock the phone with an 'OK google' command, bypassing your current option. It's under the 'smart lock' thing.

reKon

Banned
my friend who is coming from a One Plus said the same thing about the fingerprint scanner. S8+. He's 6'2 though and has bigger hands. He's not even using that though because he's saying the Iris scanner is really fast.

Lagamorph

Is there any way to swap the Back and Recents buttons? They're the opposite way around to my 6P and it's driving me insane.

Will be getting this phone, its super expensive and pretty so case is a must i think: Can anyone recommend a nice case that will take a hip height fall and doesn't completely ruin the look of the phone/cut off the edgness of the screen.
I see "spigen liquid crystal" on amazon.

Jeffrey

is it possible to make a flip style case that elegantly folds into the back when in 'usage' mode?

I like the idea of a case protecting the screen, but they've always felt clunky when using the phone, especially when taking a picture

Lagamorph

Yeah it was one of the first things I hunted down in the settings.

Display > Navigation Bar > Button Layout

Yes. I dont have the phone so I dunno where it is in settings but 100% you can.

Cheers, I knew I'd read that it was doable somewhere but couldn't find the setting, even though it was staring me right in the face.

Have turned the screen resolution all the way up to full though as well. Just because. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

Jeffrey

Cheers, I knew I'd read that it was doable somewhere but couldn't find the setting, even though it was staring me right in the face.

Have turned the screen resolution all the way up to full though as well. Just because. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

maybe slight hit on performance (because lol samsung). Seems like all the tests out there, the battery life difference is basically noexistence (all the pixels are on anyways at lower res, extra battery life drain is just the slight extra effort from the cpu).

I need to see it myself if i can notice 1080p difference though, I typically prefer performance over image quality.

lets see how bad 720p is lol.

seems like package disabler still works!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/help/package-disabler-pro-t3592187

always a must for samsung folks that want to speed up the phone a little.

BraXzy

I gave it a quick change and didn't really notice a difference so put it back to 1080. Pretty sure it hits battery life so unless I watch some 4K vids or something I'll probably let it stay put for now.

Will be getting this phone, its super expensive and pretty so case is a must i think: Can anyone recommend a nice case that will take a hip height fall and doesn't completely ruin the look of the phone/cut off the edgness of the screen.
I see "spigen liquid crystal" on amazon.

I've mentioned it in the thread but the one I picked up pre-release was the Spigen Neo-Hybrid. I'm really happy with it. Not too intrusive on the sides, has a bit of padding on the corners. Comfy to hold and makes it easier to find the fingerprint scanner (thanks to the camera cutout). I took some pics.

Went to Best Buy and the guy said he'd give me the phone even though the account holder's name is in it. Because he knows I'm the one who preordered it as he did it for me lmao.

Went ahead and bought the s-flip case from best buy, cancelled my Amazon one.

Best Buy let you pick it up early? Huh.

No no. I went there today worried that I wouldn't be able to pick it up tomorrow because I'm not the account holder of the phone plan but an authorized user, and even though I did everything her name was still the one showing up throughout the emails. He assured me I'd be able to pick it up tomorrow.

No no. I went there today worried that I wouldn't be able to pick it up tomorrow because I'm not the account holder of the phone plan but an authorized user, and even though I did everything her name was still the one showing up throughout the emails. He assured me I'd be able to pick it up tomorrow.

Gotcha. You got me excited. Thought I'd go get my new toy tonight.

Jeffrey

I gave it a quick change and didn't really notice a difference so put it back to 1080. Pretty sure it hits battery life so unless I watch some 4K vids or something I'll probably let it stay put for now.

I've mentioned it in the thread but the one I picked up pre-release was the Spigen Neo-Hybrid. I'm really happy with it. Not too intrusive on the sides, has a bit of padding on the corners. Comfy to hold and makes it easier to find the fingerprint scanner (thanks to the camera cutout). I took some pics.
Had those on iPhone. Always scared me putting on lol. Need to squeeze hard.

how's iris scanner with glasses on? I'm a dork with glasses.
I heard it works, but I don't wear glasses. At first I was annoyed that I have to point the phone at my face to unlock it, but then I remembered that unlike the S7 I'd have to pick the phone up to use the fingerprint scanner anyways.

Top Bottom