• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Limit

Either my eyesight is much worse than I realized or there is something wonky going on with Gear VR. No matter what app I try or what video I watch everything looks so blurry. Wiped down the lenses with alcohol swabs as well. Playing around with scroll wheel is yielding only minor improvements. I have to stare at specific quadrants of the screen to make blurriness more manageable.

Come on, isn't anyone else disappointed by the display? Feels bad knowing it's always going to look awful to me. "Oh, it looks like a clear window", and it looks great in the pictures, but it's like I'm the crazy one.
I'm cursed. I should get my eyes checked.

Jeffrey

Come on, isn't anyone else disappointed by the display? Feels bad knowing it's always going to look awful to me. "Oh, it looks like a clear window", and it looks great in the pictures, but it's like I'm the crazy one.

What's wrong with it from your perspective? You getting the red tint?

It's ready to grab? :3 Give them a call and see!

I did. I was like "tonight?" and they were all "nah."

Oh well.

I've seen the screen in person. Sucks that you don't like it but good god it's gorgeous.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
can you post where i can get the dolphin APK?

Just go to the main dolphin site and it's the latest android build. Except for some audio, Wind Waker is perfect. People at work are like wow. One guy was like my PC can't even run the damn thing.

NeOak

Just go to the main dolphin site and it's the latest android build. Except for some audio, Wind Waker is perfect. People at work are like wow. One guy was like my PC can't even run the damn thing.

What controller are you using?

tbm24

Anyone buy into a glass screen protector yet? I'm minutes from ordering my upgrade and browsing Amazon has been surprising. Can't seem to find one that isn't majority 1 stars and bad reviews.

BraXzy

Iris scanner is the best.

No messing around and almost instant.

I gave this a quick try before, admittedly indoors in a spot which had a bright light behind my head, but it really struggled to work. I'll give it another go tomorrow in better conditions. I'm finding the fingerprint scanner is perfect anyway so idk off I'd use it.

What have people done with their phones so far? I'm still using vanilla launcher and keyboard etc but I think I will move to Nova and Google keyboard tomorrow.

Sanjuro

Wasn't able to stop into the store to check out and see if it's just my case that has harder to push buttons on the Tech21 case. Either way, I'm actually starting to get used to it a bit. The case still feels super sleek, light, and appears to be able to take some heavy hits.

I didn't think coming from an S7 Edge there would be this much of a wow factor, but the extra space on this device is amazing.

I gave this a quick try before, admittedly indoors in a spot which had a bright light behind my head, but it really struggled to work. I'll give it another go tomorrow in better conditions. I'm finding the fingerprint scanner is perfect anyway so idk off I'd use it.

What have people done with their phones so far? I'm still using vanilla launcher and keyboard etc but I think I will move to Nova and Google keyboard tomorrow.

I'm using Nova and GBboard with no issues so far.

Arc07

The photo of the receipt I sent to the Samsung promotions site wasn't good enough (clearly shows date of purchase and the device purchased) and now I'm locked out of the Gear VR/headphones/microSD promotion.

Yeah I love it, but turned it off cause I can't imagine it not draining the battery dry halfway through the day.

I don't think it drains the battery that much, I've had it on all day. I'm at 15 hours with 31% left.

Screen has been on for 4 of those hours, watched a couple episodes of the Office on Netflix, streamed music on google play for about 3 or 4 hours today. Biggest hog was my screen on time which took up 21% of the battery, the other Android related things took up 7%, I'm sure the AOD is included in one of those.

The photo of the receipt I sent to the Samsung promotions site wasn't good enough (clearly shows date of purchase and the device purchased) and now I'm locked out of the Gear VR/headphones/microSD promotion.
I did it through the app and took a photo of the proof of purchase barcode on my s8 box. Might be worth trying to see if you can do that.

Arc07

I did it through the app and took a photo of the proof of purchase barcode on my s8 box. Might be worth trying to see if you can do that.

Unfortunately I sent two pictures of the receipt and neither one was good and I'm locked out of reattempting. Been on hold with their promotions dept. for 4+ hours so far. lol

sun-drop

i tried on my S7E while i wait for my S8 .. and being a euro model, not using a snapdragon ..this didn't run.

got the control icons stuck up top left of screen and performance was a slideshow.. i suspect the same on the international S8.

one advantage to having a snapdragon over exonos i guess..

XAL

So I'm on Verizon and I went through the activation protocol - right after I log into my Verizon account it prompts me to pick a new phone number.....I don't want to do that. Doesn't give me another option.

What do I do now?

BriGuy

How did you find out? I did all that and it just said it was under review when I finished. I didn't get an email confirmation or anything so I have no idea if it went through or was accepted.

Edit: Holy hell I'm glad I checked on that. It didn't ask for billing information yesterday, but I went back into the Samsung Shop app just a moment ago, and was now able to pay for the memory card and headphones. That promotion was apparently only good until today? I would have been pissed if I missed out on it.

so I'm planning to go tomorrow to pick up my pre-order at AT&T (porting my number from T-Mobile). Thing is that they open the store at 9am and my start time at work is 1030am (the AT&T store is 20 min away from my workplace). Will the whole process take more than 1 hour?

Got Dolphin running on mine. I paired my Switch Pro Controller but it doesn't work so well. Guess I'll dust off my old android controller.

So I'm on Verizon and I went through the activation protocol - right after I log into my Verizon account it prompts me to pick a new phone number.....I don't want to do that. Doesn't give me another option.

What do I do now?

This is from the same SIM card from a previous phone?

Pepiope

How did you find out? I did all that and it just said it was under review when I finished. I didn't get an email confirmation or anything so I have no idea if it went through or was accepted.

Edit: Holy hell I'm glad I checked on that. It didn't ask for billing information yesterday, but I went back into the Samsung Shop app just a moment ago, and was now able to pay for the memory card and headphones. That promotion was apparently only good until today? I would have been pissed if I missed out on it.
Yeah they have to review the receipt before they let you pay the $99. The site would not work for me, so I used the snipping tool to get my receipt off of Tmobile's site and then saved it on my phone and did it all through the Shop Samsung app.

Luckily it was approved over night and I paid for the SD card and headphones this morning.

Edit: there's already an update on the S8 from T-Mobile.

sun-drop

just played with one down at the local store here ... S8 that is. holy shit i'm kinda shocked how much smaller in hand it feels compared to my S7 edge ...

so I'm planning to go tomorrow to pick up my pre-order at AT&T (porting my number from T-Mobile). Thing is that they open the store at 9am and my start time at work is 1030am (the AT&T store is 20 min away from my workplace). Will the whole process take more than 1 hour?

Assuming no system issues and the person you talk to knows what they're doing, no. So what I'm saying is... you feeling lucky?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What controller are you using?

Bluetooth new XB1 controller. Same one I use for PC games.

Things I noticed today.

Above moderate use with videos, games, playing music, having brightness near max on a work day and I got home it was at 67%. That's way better than my S6 edge which was in the low 30s and not even used as heavily.

Headphones are better than your typical phone pack in. I like the build of the wires and it has a volume control which is something I haven't had since like the mini disc days. Quality is about on par with my Seinnheiser earbuds but I don't like the form factor compared to it.

Went with black by default since no matter the color the front will be black. I wish they had an all white model but Samsung hasn't had one in two generations. Hopefully future phones will. I don't think black itself is bad it's just the damn thing is a fingerprint and dusk magnet.

Everybody was wowed by the display. Easily best on the market right now. Works perfectly outdoors. Still trying to figure out how to optimize picture quality.

I think the promotion thing is a pain in the ass. Preordering in a Tmobile and they didn't exact give me a receipt stating I bought the phone so I had to go to the site and screen capped something of the sort and hopes it'll work. Why can't they just register by ya know, having the phone registered along with maybe sending a text message code or something. Not all places are going to give receipts.

Pepiope

I think the promotion thing is a pain in the ass. Preordering in a Tmobile and they didn't exact give me a receipt stating I bought the phone so I had to go to the site and screen capped something of the sort and hopes it'll work. Why can't they just register by ya know, having the phone registered along with maybe sending a text message code or something. Not all places are going to give receipts.
I just got a pic of the order showing I paid $130 and the order date on T-Mobile's website. Worked for me.

Does this play nice with other Samsung devices? I have a KS8000. Is there certain things that can be done?

EDIT: Also, are all SD cards created equal? Or should I try to go for the $100 promo they got going

Say I wanted to move from S7 edge to S8. Is my best bet selling my phone via Craigslist or is there some kind of trade up program that's worthwhile? I'm on AT&T and I am up for an upgrade.

NeOak

So I registered for the promo using the app. It used to show claimed and show the product as well as the status yesterday.

Today it only shows that I claimed it on the 19th and when I try to check online using my email it says that there are no promos that I registered for.

And calling them is just a long wait that I can't do right now :(

On my phone the highest it goes is 1080/60. Don't know why

If you want, do what I did and just have a small display on the edge. The default one is weird to me, so the little edge display is not too bad of a compromise.

Make sure your screen resolution is WQHD+. It is set to FHD+ as default.

Also, just got my free GearVR approval email! 6-8 weeks shipping though.

spekkeh

Banned
It's playing at 1440p for me.

On my phone the highest it goes is 1080/60. Don't know why
720p60 here :(

ZgXYmU5.jpg

Normal s8

Jeffrey

does always on display stay on in the pocket? Seems like a waste of battery life there and the sensors should be able to figure out if the phone is out in the open or not.

What's wrong with it from your perspective? You getting the red tint?

Red fringe. Like the top-right of this picture, but for all high-contrast white-on-black. Maybe it has to do with lenses? But it's awful. It's like finding out I've been color blind the whole time or something. If it wasn't that, then the LED glow is about as distracting. Must be a very small minority affected...
Enjoy your gorgeous screen, everyone else. :(

Top Bottom