• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

NeOak

Was thinking of getting a S7E next time it was on sale, but Costco has a $200 GC w/ the phone and was thinking of doing that instead.

The low S7E prices have been around 360-380, the S8 is either 550 or 650.

For someone who doesn't do a ton on their phone beyond web browsing, would paying the extra 170 or 270 be worth it?

It is, the screen gives you more usable space, plus the new modem will keep the phone using the max speed your carried can give it.

kirblar

It is, the screen gives you more usable space, plus the new modem will keep the phone using the max speed your carried can give it.
If price isn't an issue, is there any reason to go w/ the S8 over the S8+?

I saw your post on the prior thread- what screen protectors would you recommend?

And if this is a first-time big boy phone for me, would you recommend going w/ the protection plan for at least the first few months?

Azerare

So what is everyone else doing with always on display? Leaving it on or off? Haven't decided how i feel towards it and wanna see what everyone else is doing.

So what is everyone else doing with always on display? Leaving it on or off? Haven't decided how i feel towards it and wanna see what everyone else is doing.
It doesn't bother or affect me because I have the s flip case which turns it off when the case is closed lol

So it only affects me in the office when I leave it without the case on occasionally and with regular use the phone is lasting me the whole day easily

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Got a Spigen thin fit case from Amazon. Love it. It is a bit more grippy than the Samsung slim case. Also got it in Orchid Grey.

ty_hot

Was thinking of getting a S7E next time it was on sale, but Costco has a $200 GC w/ the phone and was thinking of doing that instead.

The low S7E prices have been around 360-380, the S8 is either 550 or 650.

For someone who doesn't do a ton on their phone beyond web browsing, would paying the extra 170 or 270 be worth it?

its all about the screen. Everything else is basically the same. I wouldnt pay 50% more for the S8. The phone looks great and futuristic, but I dont see much improved usability because of it. Another factor is the size of the phone, maybe you prefer a smaller or bigger one (same screen size).

reKon

Banned
its all about the screen. Everything else is basically the same. I wouldnt pay 50% more for the S8. The phone looks great and futuristic, but I dont see much improved usability because of it. Another factor is the size of the phone, maybe you prefer a smaller or bigger one (same screen size).

I dunno. Some one those software features are pretty cool like all the gif creation and screenshot selector tools. There's also Bluetooth 5.0, better connections, improved multitasking...

NeOak

If price isn't an issue, is there any reason to go w/ the S8 over the S8+?

I saw your post on the prior thread- what screen protectors would you recommend?

And if this is a first-time big boy phone for me, would you recommend going w/ the protection plan for at least the first few months?

The S8 over the S8+? Size. Depends on what phone size you like.

Screen protectors? Glass ones are out because they fall off. You will have to get the plastic ones.

And I got the Samsung Protection Plan today. Fug.

sun-drop

Question re the Google Assistant...so with Google now on tap it gave you the option to select text on the screen after the scan....with the Assistant ..doesn't seem to have that anymore, only the screen search but not option to manually fine tune afterwards​..

Does anyone know any reason why the led wouldn't turn on when I get a notification? I enabled the "Led Indicator" in the settings, but I'm not getting any light for the notifications I received. Could it be an AOD setting?

ncslamm

Anyone using a power bank? I've never owned one but I'm thinking about grabbing one from Amazon. There's hundreds of choices so I'm not sure which I should get. Any suggestions?

Cynar

Question re the Google Assistant...so with Google now on tap it gave you the option to select text on the screen after the scan....with the Assistant ..doesn't seem to have that anymore, only the screen search but not option to manually fine tune afterwards​..
The assistant does a lot right but there is still a lot of features still missing. Including that one.

Anyone using a power bank? I've never owned one but I'm thinking about grabbing one from Amazon. There's hundreds of choices so I'm not sure which I should get. Any suggestions?

I'm going to buy this behemoth for a multi-day bike ride I'm doing later this year.

Type-C/USB-C Input & Output RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger QC 3.0 Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Power Bank External Battery Pack + QC3.0 USB Charger for Macbook, Nexus 6, iPhone and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVMXW7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I need to find a slimmer, more portable pack as well. Not sure on that one yet.

This thread may have some other suggestions as well.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1346799&page=1

Edit - I think this is actually the big one I was looking at for my ride.

AUKEY 30000mAh Portable Charger with Quick Charge 3.0, USB C & 2 USB Outputs, USB C & Micro-USB Input for Nintendo Switch 2017, iPhone 7/Plus and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8IRIN0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Draft

Coming from the iPhone 5, my new S8+ feels like alien technology. It's amazing.

There are dozens of Android quirks I'm getting used to, but the most pressing (heh):

I hit the bottom "button" to unlock, the search/homepage opens, then locks again very quickly unless I swipe left or right. Is there a way to make it stop locking again?

Moff

I no longer get LED notifications for whatsapp messages, I tried all the settings in whatsapp and the system and they all say they should appear, any advice?

jm89

Coming from the iPhone 5, my new S8+ feels like alien technology. It's amazing.

There are dozens of Android quirks I'm getting used to, but the most pressing (heh):

I hit the bottom "button" to unlock, the search/homepage opens, then locks again very quickly unless I swipe left or right. Is there a way to make it stop locking again?

Go to Settings> Lock Screen and security>Secure lock settings>Lock automatically

You can set how long you phone locks after the screen turns off.

I no longer get LED notifications for whatsapp messages, I tried all the settings in whatsapp and the system and they all say they should appear, any advice?
I'm not getting any LED notification at all unfortunately. In the system the only setting I could find was under display, and it's activated; it's also activated on Whatsapp but still nothing.
I think the most recent software update might have made them stop working, but I can't say for sure since I used it very briefly yesterday before updating. Hope someone can shed some light on the matter.

Moff

I'm not getting any LED notification at all unfortunately. In the system the only setting I could find was under display, and it's activated; it's also activated on Whatsapp but still nothing.
I think the most recent software update might have made them stop working, but I can't say for sure since I used it very briefly yesterday before updating. Hope someone can shed some light on the matter.

only whatsapp for me, all others work so far, not sure if it ever worked wor whatsapp, though, I just installed it this morning

edit: looks like other people have the issue as well, I hope they fix the LED, not getting notifications for messages is a massive problem
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...swers/LED-notifications-not-working/m-p/91997

Moff

Have you tried to solution posted there by any chance? I'll give it a try and see if it helps at all.

yes I have, I gave whatsapp messages a sound and the LED indeed works, but it suddenly began to vibrate although vibrate is absolutely turned off. the phone ringtone is set so silent/vibratem, though, so that my all be connected somehow. looks like a buggy mess to me.

yes I have, I gave whatsapp messages a sound and the LED indeed works, but it suddenly began to vibrate although vibrate is absolutely turned off. looks like a buggy mess to me.
At least the LED is back, I guess. I'll have to change a bunch of setting but at least it works.
I'd like to know why they changed it though. It doesn't make any sense not to have the light without a sound, that's the main reason why we have a LED in the first place.

jrcbandit

What web browser is everyone using? I like how they handle text in Chrome but can't stand using it on non Neogaf sites where ads are obnoxiously intrusive. Samsung browser seems decent but I can't figure out how to change color of bottom and top bar to Black, White is too distracting and wasting battery. Firefox seems best with how it handles add-ons but something seems off about the text rendering compared to Chrome.

What web browser is everyone using? I like how they handle text in Chrome but can't stand using it on non Neogaf sites where ads are obnoxiously intrusive. Samsung browser seems decent but I can't figure out how to change color of bottom and top bar to Black, White is too distracting and wasting battery. Firefox seems best with how it handles add-ons but something seems off about the text rendering compared to Chrome.

Use the Samsung Internet Browser. It's the best.
Fast, smooth, beautiful and plenty of options.

BraXzy

Picked up the Galaxy Pack app too and damn... some of them are a bit too over the top but some are sooooo nice. Never been a fan of live wallpapers either.

Currently using Hellfire. Background stars. Galaxy core off.

I have been using Chrome Canary (with the new interface with the address bar at the bottom). I tried the Samsung browser, but I haven't seen anything that made me want to switch honestly.

Top Bottom