• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

sun-drop

Coming from the iPhone 5, my new S8+ feels like alien technology. It's amazing.

There are dozens of Android quirks I'm getting used to, but the most pressing (heh):

I hit the bottom "button" to unlock, the search/homepage opens, then locks again very quickly unless I swipe left or right. Is there a way to make it stop locking again?

you can set the time out under display settings .. but i'd also recommend using the smart stay feature, works great .. phone will check periodically to see if you're looking at the phone and if you are will disregard any time out setting and leave the screen on untill you look away

BraXzy

No Love

Banned
Immersive Mode is such a game changer for S8+. Gets rid of the wasted nav buttons and avoids burn-in. Highly recommend it.

Ultryx

Is there a way to get the phone to stop notifying me about multimedia messages every single time I open a group message on my phone?

sun-drop

Is it only on the Plus? I searched "immersive mode" on settings and didn't see anything.

http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-hide-nav-bar-galaxy-s8-767021/
https://android.gadgethacks.com/new...sideload-updates-your-android-device-0175824/

i asusme samsung haven't enabled the toggle because of the up/down swipe guesture already being taken by the app draw ..but .. eh .. is it useful or not? imo the nav coltols should be persistant ..and it's up to the app it's self to switch into such a mode. ie thats on instagram to implement , as i assume youtube does

sun-drop

The iris scanner is actually amazing now that I gave it a chance

so much faster than i expected it to be. although it def struggles in bright daylight.

on that point, as a righty, i have no problem with the finger print scanner position on the s8, i dare say it's perfect. if you wanted to argue what should move then maybe the camera. but eh .. mussel memory is gonna kick in eventually

Jeffrey

iris is bad with my glasses no matter what i try lol. I think its due to one of the weird coatings i got on it.

There is also that delay for the sensor to turn on too. Quicker to just clumsily reach for the fingerprint sensor a few times lol

sirap

iris is bad with my glasses no matter what i try lol. I think its due to one of the weird coatings i got on it.

There is also that delay for the sensor to turn on too. Quicker to just clumsily reach for the fingerprint sensor a few times lol

Do you have transition lenses? It's pretty iffy for me too and I suspect that's the cause of it.

Hjod

Banned
So I've been using the Samsung LED Flip Cover for about a week now, took it of today just to feel the difference. It really feels so much better without the cover, it feels like I'm doing the phone such a disservice while using a cover, it's so much lighter without the cover and looks so much better.

So I might just skip the cover, the phone is insured from my home insurance so I think I'll go nude from now on haha.

the Samsung Shop app is wierding out on me. Yesterday i was able to view the status of my VR and Controller promo, but today it doesn't pop up. Huh....

Morts

Got mine last night. Gorgeous screen, annoying fingerprint scanner placement.

And even though the battery is almost definitely better than my last phone seeing the % at the top of the screen is giving me anxiety.

Got mine last night. Gorgeous screen, annoying fingerprint scanner placement.

And even though the battery is almost definitely better than my last phone seeing the % at the top of the screen is giving me anxiety.

Go into the battery settings and you can remove the % indicator.

GKnight

Banned
I've never used an Android Phone before, but I have decided its time to switch from windows because even microsoft no longer develops apps for it (and I feel like I have joined remedial school every time I pick up an Iphone).

Is the android ecosystem overly complicated to learn? I used to be very tech savvy but since I got into law and policy as a work field I really haven't had to keep up to date with tech.

I am thinking either picking up the S8 or waiting for the LG v30

kirblar

I've never used an Android Phone before, but I have decided its time to switch from windows because even microsoft no longer develops apps for it (and I feel like I have joined remedial school every time I pick up an Iphone).

Is the android ecosystem overly complicated to learn? I used to be very tech savvy but since I got into law and policy as a work field I really haven't had to keep up to date with tech.

I am thinking either picking up the S8 or waiting for the LG v30
I had no problems picking up Android as a newbie, I know a few middle-aged people who picked it up and had no problems. You should be fine.

cormack12

Gold Member
Anyone having issues with aux in on their car? Mate of mine plugs hers in. Will get a thumping sound like a heartbeat. Then after some random plugging and unplugging the cables it will work. Known issue? Car is a vauxhall astra.

Its not the cable. Her s7 still works fine and my s6 works fine. She turned on that uhq uoscaler or whatever its called but doesnt seem to make a difference. She doesnt have BT unfortunately in car for media audio....just calls. Any ideas?

Anyone having issues with aux in on their car? Mate of mine plugs hers in. Will get a thumping sound like a heartbeat. Then after some random plugging and unplugging the cables it will work. Known issue? Car is a vauxhall astra.

Its not the cable. Her s7 still works fine and my s6 works fine. She turned on that uhq uoscaler or whatever its called but doesnt seem to make a difference. She doesnt have BT unfortunately in car for media audio....just calls. Any ideas?

I don't think I've had any issues with mine.

Get a BT Aux adapter

I wish there was a way to adjust the Font color without relying on themes.
i like this current theme i have but the color of the font is a dark brown.

Ark

Anyone found any battery packs/power banks that support quick charge with this phone?

Get my phone tomorrow, can't wait :D

Jeffrey

Anyone found any battery packs/power banks that support quick charge with this phone?

Get my phone tomorrow, can't wait :D
US variant works with quickcharge so any battery pack that supports that should work.

I have this that works nicely

Type-C/USB-C Input & Output RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger QC 3.0 Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Power Bank External Battery Pack + QC3.0 USB Charger for Macbook, Nexus 6, iPhone and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVMXW7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It also can quickcharge itself which is a major feature.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
What resolution setting are you all using?

Is it worth it to set the screen to 1440p instead of the default 1080?

Any significant downsides to battery/in general?

Jeffrey

What resolution setting are you all using?

Is it worth it to set the screen to 1440p instead of the default 1080?

Any significant downsides to battery/in general?
Battery life is maybe a few % difference. Feel like 1080p is a bit more smoother though

Bucca

Can't decide if I'm a fan of the Always On Display or not.

I'm so used to my Moto X version that only appears if there's a notification/you wave your hand over it/you pick the phone up.

Izayoi

Banned
Is it safe to accept this DQA update from Samsung?

I keep declining it because of all of the issues I have heard about (I have never had a problem with it).

The Llama

Can't decide if I'm a fan of the Always On Display or not.

I'm so used to my Moto X version that only appears if there's a notification/you wave your hand over it/you pick the phone up.

Lol I also came from a Moto X (the Pure, though, not the original), and had been using a custom ROM for so long that I had completely forgotten about the hand wave feature (since it didn't work with custom ROM's).

I'm using the AOD for now, but I suspect in 2-3 months when I want better battery life I'll end up turning it off and forgetting it ever existed.

Bucca

Lol I also came from a Moto X (the Pure, though, not the original), and had been using a custom ROM for so long that I had completely forgotten about the hand wave feature (since it didn't work with custom ROM's).

I'm using the AOD for now, but I suspect in 2-3 months when I want better battery life I'll end up turning it off and forgetting it ever existed.

Yeah, I had a pure as well.

Ended up disabling it on my S8+ after some thought. Just odd to me to have more than just a clock and notifications showing (infinity wallpaper) as well as it just being constantly on.

Cautionary tale: *BUY A CASE FOR THIS PHONE.*

I had my Note 3 for 4 years. Had it caseless and till today, it's scratch free. Skipped a case for S8+ as well, and lo and behold, dropped on concrete. Now that gorgeous screen is cracked. I have insurance, but the deductible is 250 dollars.

Lesson learned the hard way.

Gallbaro

Banned
So if you buy from ATT does this phone come with all the standard ma-bell crapware?

If it does, I'll pay the extra for regular retail. (Not for me, wife, perfectly happy with Axon 7.)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

I had my Note 3 for 4 years. Had it caseless and till today, it's scratch free. Skipped a case for S8+ as well, and lo and behold, dropped on concrete. Now that gorgeous screen is cracked. I have insurance, but the deductible is 250 dollars.

My condolences. :(

So if you buy from ATT does this phone come with all the standard ma-bell crapware?

If it does, I'll pay the extra for regular retail. (Not for me, wife, perfectly happy with Axon 7.)
If you buy from AT&T (Or Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile) it will come with their regular share of crapware apps. You could buy it factory unlocked to subvert that, but then you run the risk of getting software updates at a slower rate because Samsung is taking their sweet time updating the unlocked models over carrier phones. The unlocked S7 still doesn't have Nougat and the S7 Edge just got it whereas the AT&T versions got it back in February.

kirblar

Did you buy it with a credit card?

kirblar

Nah, leased with my carrier account. Why would it matter? I can't imagine I could fairly contest its charge given that I own it. (Unless you were thinking about how some CC's offer protection plans?)
Yeah, Chase has a $500 insurance for 120 days on stuff you buy from them, dunno if others offer more.

Top Bottom