• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

Gallbaro

Banned
If you buy from AT&T (Or Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile) it will come with their regular share of crapware apps. You could buy it factory unlocked to subvert that, but then you run the risk of getting software updates at a slower rate because Samsung is taking their sweet time updating the unlocked models over carrier phones. The unlocked S7 still doesn't have Nougat and the S7 Edge just got it whereas the AT&T versions got it back in February.

What is this? Opposite Land?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
FWIW T-Mobile's bloatware is like 4-5 apps and can be disabled/uninstalled. Visual Voicemail is nice.

It's by far the least offensive offender.

Ark

US variant works with quickcharge so any battery pack that supports that should work.

I have this that works nicely

Type-C/USB-C Input & Output RAVPower 20100mAh Portable Charger QC 3.0 Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Power Bank External Battery Pack + QC3.0 USB Charger for Macbook, Nexus 6, iPhone and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVMXW7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It also can quickcharge itself which is a major feature.

Thanks! I'll give this a look.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
So after the recent FW update:

Is Bixby remapping still possible WITHOUT having Bixby open first then switch to what you set it to? I remember seeing someone say Package Disabler Pro in conjunction with a Bixby remap app does this. Is anyone having issues currently with this?

I really want to give it a chance, but the fact that they kept Google Assistant on the phone too is making me just want to make it an Assistant button.

BraXzy

I've been having a weird issue with the phone the past few days... I'm not automatically getting notifications from various apps unless I open them. I can't tell if it's an issue with the phone, the apps or my network?

For example.. every time I open FB messenger, I get a tonne of notifications pour in at once from conversations. These don't come through naturally. I just noticed the same with my gmail. I had 4 new emails but no notification till I opened the app.

As far as I can tell, notifications are set to on?

I've been having a weird issue with the phone the past few days... I'm not automatically getting notifications from various apps unless I open them. I can't tell if it's an issue with the phone, the apps or my network?

For example.. every time I open FB messenger, I get a tonne of notifications pour in at once from conversations. These don't come through naturally. I just noticed the same with my gmail. I had 4 new emails but no notification till I opened the app.

I haven't had the issue. It sounds like it may be some power-related setting, but I'm not sure exactly what it might be.

sun-drop

Set in power MGMT not to sleep fb

T-Mobile

This morning i seen that we received an android update. The details just informed me 'new features and display enhancements'

Anyone know the exact details that might have changed? i haven't messed with any of the settings to see if i notice any differences.

I'd hope they added the function to change the LOCK SCREEN clock and not just the AOD clock :p

I REALLLY dislike the Double Stacked Digits. Really ugly to me.

edit: I want to note this is the 2nd android update i have received since launch.

Finally got the phone today, 64GB Midnight Black. Stoked. This is the Exynos Hybrid SIM version in India. My first Samsung Android device.

33596238093_0ec9dece00_z.jpg

34364698346_d7d42e0ba2_z.jpg

34275573641_c6367e5ca4_z.jpg

Has anyone else been having issues with Samsung Pay? I've been trying to use it at places where I used it on my S7 Edge with zero issues, and it seems like it just isn't working. Maybe I'll try a reinstall...real odd though.

T-Mobile

This morning i seen that we received an android update. The details just informed me 'new features and display enhancements'

Anyone know the exact details that might have changed? i haven't messed with any of the settings to see if i notice any differences.

I'd hope they added the function to change the LOCK SCREEN clock and not just the AOD clock :p

edit: I want to note this is the 2nd android update i have received since launch.

Fixes the pink Edge tinting that some devices have been suffering from. AT&T and Verizon variants still haven't received this update.

T-Mobile

You can get rid of the stacked digits, FYI.

If you tell me to go into the AOD settings ..... this is not what im asking for.....

Please let me know how i can change the stacked clock at the lock screen, not the always on display screen.

Hmm, yeah, I initially had poor reading skills and thought you were talking AoD. That said, the clock on my lock screen is a normal, unstacked clock.

My lock screen and AoD settings are:. AoD is off, Roaming Clock is on, all three face widgets are off, and notifications are on.

BraXzy

I really want to be able to add custom icons to folders on the stock launcher. Specifically folders in the edge apps list. Gimme!

Got the new Samsung wireless fast charger delivered today. The plan is to have it at my desk in work as a dock for my phone, it's handy as it can be inclined 70 degrees so I can always see the screen.

Only question I have though is if having the phone constantly on fast charging will degrade the battery quicker over time? Or is that an urban myth?

Jeffrey

Got the new Samsung wireless fast charger delivered today. The plan is to have it at my desk in work as a dock for my phone, it's handy as it can be inclined 70 degrees so I can always see the screen.

Only question I have though is if having the phone constantly on fast charging will degrade the battery quicker over time? Or is that an urban myth?

Wireless charging heats up the phone a bit, but I believe Samsung charger has a fan which should help.

I think it's just a glitch. Mine switches randomly between normal and stacked.

when i have a notification, it moves to the normal version. when i clear it, it goes back to stacked. not too big of a deal but i think that probably should have been an option somewhere >_< i like continuity

TheGrizz

Anyone still waiting on their Samsung Gear VR promotional approval email? Promotion site says it's approved and processing. However, I have yet to receive the email and instructions on how to redeem for the $99 memory card/headphone add on. I signed up for that as well when I sent my initial redemption application.

Thanks and loving the phone still. It's such a refreshing change from being with an iPhone since iPhone's inception.

quesalupa

Anyone still waiting on their Samsung Gear VR promotional approval email? Promotion site says it's approved and processing. However, I have yet to receive the email and instructions on how to redeem for the $99 memory card/headphone add on. I signed up for that as well when I sent my initial redemption application.

Thanks and loving the phone still. It's such a refreshing change from being with an iPhone since iPhone's inception.
Same here. Hope we aren't screwed.

It took them two days to approve my initial email (sent on 4/20), so I'd definitely follow up with them to get more info on your status.

They confirmed my order on 4/22, but that's the last I've heard from them since. I think they were not overly prepared for this promotion from both a support standpoint and a product availability standpoint.

Ark

Got my new S8+ today! This phone is incredible, an unbelievable massive upgrade from my Nexus 5.

Which email app are people using? I'm sticking to Gmail atm since I'm used to it, but I've no idea if the Samsung one is any good.

Got my new S8+ today! This phone is incredible, an unbelievable massive upgrade from many Nexus 5.

Which email app are people using? I'm sticking to Gmail atm since I'm used to it, but I've no idea if the Samsung one is any good.

I like to use Outlook and then Inbox for my gmail account.

So, here's a funny question. Can I set my S8 to use 3G network instead of 4G? I don't get the best signal at home, so I got a 3G network extender. Worked great. But, now that I'm on the S8 and upgraded my plan, I'm on 4G and it doesn't seem to connect to the 3G network extender. I really don't want to have to buy the 4G network extender 'cause it's like $250.

The option is in settings, connections, mobile network, network mode.

My choices are

1. Global (the default that my phone is on)
2. LTE/CDMA
3. LTE/GSM/UMTS

Which one is the winner?

I tried turning on wifi calling the other day, but I don't see a way to force it to use wifi. It will seemingly only use it when there is no signal at all. So, I have enough of a signal to not trigger it, but it's bad enough that I constantly drop calls.

EDIT: I should say, I'm on Verizon. I don't know if it's different on different carriers. 'Cause I found on TMobile's site how to tell it to prefer wifi, but the option it is telling me to look for is not there on my Verizon phone. Fuckers.

NeOak

My choices are

1. Global (the default that my phone is on)
2. LTE/CDMA
3. LTE/GSM/UMTS

Which one is the winner?

I tried turning on wifi calling the other day, but I don't see a way to force it to use wifi. It will seemingly only use it when there is no signal at all. So, I have enough of a signal to not trigger it, but it's bad enough that I constantly drop calls.
All have LTE, so you're SOL

Oh shi- Nice!

Also, got this baby today:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/DPbhkq8.jpg[/img]

I spoke too soon. It connected for a minute, but then disconnected and my signal dropped. Piece of shit. So, I guess I'm going to have to spend another $250 since Verizon doesn't seem to let you prioritize VOIP.

I still haven't gotten an email saying my gift has been approved and asking me to pay. For like a week now if I check my status it says it has been approved and is processing.

I didn't realize how many Edge panels there were until I went to the download section. I may have to seriously get down to it and use it more.

I bought this Spigen case, I don't use a case for my phone either but for this I got it in case I'm going out that might need some protection. This Spigen case is built very nice, flexible and seems solid overall for protection.

33580869104_f1f016c57f.jpg

33580867554_364bdabf69_z.jpg

34422885005_790a35388a_z.jpg

33580867614_3114df41a0_z.jpg

TheGrizz

It took them two days to approve my initial email (sent on 4/20), so I'd definitely follow up with them to get more info on your status.

They confirmed my order on 4/22, but that's the last I've heard from them since. I think they were not overly prepared for this promotion from both a support standpoint and a product availability standpoint.

I gave the Samsung help desk a call today to get a status on the promotional order. The rep told me that I shouldn't worry and that I should receive the approval email with instructions on how to redeem the $99 offer. They said they are pushing them out soon and the regular VR offers are being pushed out sooner than the $99 offers.

She also said it will be much quicker than 4-6 weeks. I guess I just need to hang tight. *Sigh*

Kensation

Got approved for the free Gear VR on 4/21, still stuck on "processing gift". Oh well, at least I didn't spend any money on it and am not super excited for VR.

Top Bottom