• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

I'm on Verizon. The only way I know if I was wifi calling is when I go into my recent call list and see the wifi symbol. But I think only on outbound calls.

Ark

Dang really? I was hoping the film would have better results. The alpha glass is nice, but the adhesive is already loose after about a week. That and I'm restricted to my otterbox symmetry case. I rather use my slim armor for the kickstand.

I just want to preserve my screen =(

I've been using the 'case friendly' variant of the Spigen Neo Flex protector. Works fantastically well with my Neo Hybrid. It sticks well, it feels good, clarity is great. Easily the best screen protector I've ever used, but it's only been on the phone for four days so far.

The Cowboy

Is there a way to make the status and menu bar transparent always like when it is on the home screen ?
I want this to, whilst I like immersive mode (using this - http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-hide-nav-bar-galaxy-s8-767021/), I would prefer having it simply transparent on a lot of apps.
-
I went with a full body clear coat from mobile outfitters in the end, it's pricey (still cheaper than the official case though), but it's hard to tell that it's even on the phone - so you get scratch protection and you keep the look of the phone.

BraXzy

I want this to, whilst I like immersive mode (using this - http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-hide-nav-bar-galaxy-s8-767021/), I would prefer having it simply transparent on a lot of apps.
-
I went with a full body clear coat from mobile outfitters in the end, it's pricey (still cheaper than the official case though), but it's hard to tell that it's even on the phone - so you get scratch protection and you keep the look of the phone.

I'm hoping they add an immersive/full screen mode in the settings. I want to toggle on an app basis.

TheGrizz

So regarding the VR promotion...my application was accepted and approved on 4/24 and has since been processing. I have called them twice in the two week time span, including just this morning. They have re-iterated that I have been approved and that I WILL get the email to pay and continue on with the process.

I have a strange feeling they're just feeding me a line of bull. Their customer support isn't nearly as good as Apple's, that's for sure!

Anyone else still waiting for their Gear VR Immersive bundle email??

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone looking for a good screen protector I've been using this type for years and they have never let me down. I normally buy Ultimate Shield however that didn't have any for the S8+ at the time I was buying

Annoyingly however there must have been grit between my spigen case and the back as I have a very slight might just above the camera. Not a massive as I'll never see it however I've ordered a rear screen protector so it can't pick up anymore (not something I've done before but I've not had a phone with a glass back in ages).

Kensation

So regarding the VR promotion...my application was accepted and approved on 4/24 and has since been processing. I have called them twice in the two week time span, including just this morning. They have re-iterated that I have been approved and that I WILL get the email to pay and continue on with the process.

I have a strange feeling they're just feeding me a line of bull. Their customer support isn't nearly as good as Apple's, that's for sure!

Anyone else still waiting for their Gear VR Immersive bundle email??

I'm in the same boat except mine was approved on 4/21. Haven't gone to the trouble of calling yet because it's free and I'm not super pumped for VR.

Skatterd

So my old phone is kaput (on Verizon) and I was thinking of updating to the Galaxy S8. I don't have an upgrade available but another line on my plan does. However, when I try to transfer the upgrade I just get taken to a page to buyout my phone...which is not what I want to do. Obviously I can try calling Verizon, etc. later to see what the deal is but won't have access to a phone for some time today, so anyone have any idea what's up?

Sanjuro

So my old phone is kaput (on Verizon) and I was thinking of updating to the Galaxy S8. I don't have an upgrade available but another line on my plan does. However, when I try to transfer the upgrade I just get taken to a page to buyout my phone...which is not what I want to do. Obviously I can try calling Verizon, etc. later to see what the deal is but won't have access to a phone for some time today, so anyone have any idea what's up?

They don't do upgrades anymore. Basically you'd be looking at running out your current commitment while signing up for their payment plan.

Skatterd

They don't do upgrades anymore. Basically you'd be looking at running out your current commitment while signing up for their payment plan.

...lame. Then why does it even have a "transfer upgrade" option if it does nothing lol

Edit: Wait, couldn't I always just use the "upgrade" to get a new phone on a number line but then activate it on my line?

TheGrizz

I'm in the same boat except mine was approved on 4/21. Haven't gone to the trouble of calling yet because it's free and I'm not super pumped for VR.

It's more a matter of principle at this point. I just want to get the damn email so I can complete the process. I hate when things are left hanging. I'll continue to play the waiting game.

BraXzy

I really wish there were gesture features baked into Android. I want to get rid of the nav bar without losing ease of use on things like Chrome for going back.

Closest thing I've found is an app called "All in one Gestures" but if you for example add swipe right from left edge, it as a horrible permanent glow to the side of the screen. If that could be transparent it'd be perfect.

NeOak

...lame. Then why does it even have a "transfer upgrade" option if it does nothing lol

Edit: Wait, couldn't I always just use the "upgrade" to get a new phone on a number line but then activate it on my line?

Contracts haven't been a thing for a while now.

You're better off calling or going to a store anyway.

Crayons

Banned
I tried to get Samsung Premium Care insurance for my phone and it said, "Sorry, this device is not compatible with this Protection Plus plan." the fuck? I only got the phone 5 days ago

Sanjuro

Yeah, like someone else said give it a go. The only reason I think I got a contract upgrade for my S7 Edge was because Best Buy was going rogue.

I just ordered the S8 Plus directly from Samsung this time around.

Well, I'm finally upgrading!

Galaxy S5 to Galaxy S8!

Sprint gave me an insane upgrade deal - basically, I'm only paying $8 more a month than I already am for 24 months installments ($200 to own total, not leased), than it goes back to my current rate. No activation fee, no upgrade fee, keep my phone#, same exact Unlimited plan.

-And they told me I can keep my S5 since I paid it off over a year ago.

:D

Sanjuro

Well, I'm finally upgrading!

Galaxy S5 to Galaxy S8!

Sprint gave me an insane upgrade deal - basically, I'm only paying $8 more a month than I already am for 24 months, than it goes back to my current rate. No activation fee, no upgrade fee, keep my phone#, same exact Unlimited plan.

-And they told me I can keep my S5 since I paid it off over a year ago.

:D

I just sold my S5 a couple weeks ago. When powering it on to make sure it was wiped all I could think about was how it felt like ancient technology.

I just sold my S5 a couple weeks ago. When powering it on to make sure it was wiped all I could think about was how it felt like ancient technology.

I'm not selling my S5 - giving it to my wife. She's got a busted up Galaxy Grand Prime.

For her, an S5 is a huge upgrade lol.

Just got the S8 for my sister at Costco. They gave me some charger pack with a portable charger, USB cables, and car charger free as well as being able to redeem for the Samsung, Tmo, and Costco promos. They're giving me all this free shit lol.

My Gear VR should arrive tomorrow (after Fedex initially said Saturday). Does anyone have their Gear VR controller? I'm wondering what it's like as that's obviously the main thing in the package that's different to the Gear VR stuff I already tried with the S6 and S7.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn yall got me worried about the free Samsung shit. Registered for the entertainment bundle but now I'm worried about getting it hearing all of these stories trying to get your free VR bundle.

Damn yall got me worried about the free Samsung shit. Registered for the entertainment bundle but now I'm worried about getting it hearing all of these stories trying to get your free VR bundle.

Mine is 100% with FedEx. If it comes tomorrow that's speedier than they promised (6 to 8 weeks I think they said).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My screen was fine, but my carrier just pushed the red tint fix.

Also running with Nova. The phone feels very quick.

Sanjuro

I never got any free content with my headset. I've posted in here, but I'm not sure how it's linked or redeemed.

The actual headset shipped from Samsung.

Robiin

Just got a new S8.

What's the best/most energy efficient/quickest launcher nowadays?

Also, do launchers still allow the Edge shortcuts etc.?

Robiin

You can't go wrong with either Nova or Action Launcher 3. Both seem to make the phone snappier according to some users here.

Thanks, guess I'll continue with Nova.

Also, what resolution are you guys running? See it is set for 2220x1080 by default..

EDIT: Another question, I read somewhere about the S8 being able to turn off searching for Wi-fi (saving battery life) when I was no longer at my house. Where can I find this setting - if I have not misheard?

Yeah I have action launcher 3, it's great. Only real downside is that the missed messages/phone calls notification is still in alpha so shit like Facebook and whatsapp doesn't have it

Dawg get your wife something better. What are you doing.

It's FREE, that's what I'm doing. lol

We're practical people. Only one of us has the geek-gene anyway.

She'd be happy using nothing but a 2G Flip-phone if they still made them.

A Galaxy S5 for her is like when mankind first discovered fire. The Grand Prime she's been using has only 8GB of internal memory, 4 of which is already used up by the stupid OS.

My S5 has 16GB internal and a 64GB microSD card. That's crazy space for her needs.

Jeffrey

It's FREE, that's what I'm doing. lol

We're practical people. Only one of us has the geek-gene anyway.

She'd be happy using nothing but a 2G Flip-phone if they still made them.

A Galaxy S5 for her is like when mankind first discovered fire. The Grand Prime she's been using has only 8GB of internal memory, 4 of which is already used up by the stupid OS.

My S5 has 16GB internal and a 64GB microSD card. That's crazy space for her needs.

I'm more curious about battery life. Most phones battery is shit by 2 years. I forget if S5 has removable battery

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Gear VR should come with a voucher. You just redeem it when you sign up/on Occulus.

I went for the entertainment bundle. It's overall better.

Everybody at work wants a Gear VR now that they got to see it in action.

Moff

after a few weeks, I think this is the best and most beautiful phone I have ever seen, up until now, the iphone4s was on that tp spot

the sgs8 just looks so sexy and I often think how good it feels when I hold it, fantastic piece of hardware

I remember when I switched my sgs2 for a nexus 5 and I felt like "meh" and didn't really know what I spent all that money for, but the sgs8 is something else, really happy with it. I just hope I never drop it on the floor.

ty_hot

Tried it in store today. Screen is beautiful, phone feels good in the hand. Wierd thing is its width, my op3t is larger than the s8+. Feels wierd, lots of lost screen area.

And wtf, phone is still slow as fuck.

tigerin

Just got the S8 for my sister at Costco. They gave me some charger pack with a portable charger, USB cables, and car charger free as well as being able to redeem for the Samsung, Tmo, and Costco promos. They're giving me all this free shit lol.

Do you need to be a costco member to get the phone?

Jeffrey

Tried it in store today. Screen is beautiful, phone feels good in the hand. Wierd thing is its width, my op3t is larger than the s8+. Feels wierd, lots of lost screen area.

And wtf, phone is still slow as fuck.

Actually phones is quicker outside of demo mode,but it's way slower than op3t and pixel for sure.

Kieli

The standby time on the S8 is pretty bad. It drains 20% battery on standby (with always-on) despite not doing anything...

Jigolo

Any gaffer own the Exynos model? Hear it's a bit better than the SD model. That's the only thing stopping Samsung from directly competing with Apple for best phone maker. Similar experience across all models. It also would simplify updates, repairs, support. Truly optimize their flagship phone with their flagship SoC, just like Apple does.

Jeffrey

Any gaffer own the Exynos model? Hear it's a bit better than the SD model. That's the only thing stopping Samsung from directly competing with Apple for best phone maker. Similar experience across all models. It also would simplify updates, repairs, support. Truly optimize their flagship phone with their flagship SoC, just like Apple does.

Hopefully after the whole Apple vs Qualcomm lawsuit is sorted out, Samsung can bring Exynos processors to the US without all the royalties needed to get CDMA support.

The standby time on the S8 is pretty bad. It drains 20% battery on standby (with always-on) despite not doing anything...

yeah my s8 dropped 20% overnight its really bad (10pm-6am).
from battery usage wifi seems used most battery, im trying to find out maybe i need to change some settings.

i read some reviewers says the processor power differences isnt as big as before (like s7,s6)

Top Bottom