• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Spigen thin fit is one of the best cases if you want keep as much of the original design as possible. I love it. The Samsung thin fit is good as well but is a bit more slippy.

Spigen thin fit is one of the best cases if you want keep as much of the original design as possible. I love it. The Samsung thin fit is good as well but is a bit more slippy.

Yup it's great, the only thing is the dust on this thing gets stuck into the cracks of the phone which make it a bit of an effort to remove

BraXzy

What's everyone's wallpaper? I'm getting tired of this blue standard living theme.

I've kind of gotten over the live galaxy wallpapers too. None of them are quite right for me, I wish you could do more customisation.

I want to have the infinity love wallpaper but only on my lock screen. Lack of customisation is frustrating.

Any recommendations for the best Weather Widget? The google one doesnt show the weather icons and the cards have downgraded with their latest updates since 5 months ago. i don't want to use the default weather widget as my theme kinda makes it impossible to read against any wallpaper lol

Jeffrey

How much money will I lose if I want to sell this phone to get a iPhone 8 in the fall? Just curious. $100? $200?

At minimum 200. Samsung phones don't hold value.

Considering an unlocked S8 in lieu of this year's Pixel. Is the unlocked version worth it?

Expect even slower updates than carrier ones. Otherwise should be similar experience.

Any recommendations for the best Weather Widget? The google one doesnt show the weather icons and the cards have downgraded with their latest updates since 5 months ago. i don't want to use the default weather widget as my theme kinda makes it impossible to read against any wallpaper lol
Today weather is a good free one.
Weather timeline is good paid one.

What's everyone's wallpaper? I'm getting tired of this blue standard living theme.
If you're willing to spend money and like space theme, search for galaxy pack on Google store. If you search a few pages back you'll see a gif of one of the many live themes included. Absolutely stunning.

netBuff

What are the recommended power ratings for chargers? Is there a minimum voltage and amp rating to not damage the battery and/or reduce its lifespan?

You can disable fast charging in the battery settings panel if you're worried about that kind of thing.

Either get a standard 5 v / 2 amp charger or something QuickCharge 2.0 (or better) compatible for faster charging. A charger like this Anker would be ideal: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016LO4UTA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

8v7opCzh.png

Finally got my email asking me to pay for the SD card and headphones set. It still said it was first come first serve so to pay quick, which was kind of odd. But, I'm all paid and ready.

GutsOfThor

I received an S8 for work but I cannot get the default email app to download mail from the server. It just says "You may have emails that have not been retrieved from the server"

sun-drop

love how Samsung continue to polish how they present connectivity options, the wifi direct setup right with in the sharing options is slick. that polus the simple make phone visible mech

lionelhutz

You can disable fast charging in the battery settings panel if you're worried about that kind of thing.

Either get a standard 5 v / 2 amp charger or something QuickCharge 2.0 (or better) compatible for faster charging. A charger like this Anker would be ideal: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016LO4UTA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

8v7opCzh.png

Thanks. I didn't know that was an option. I swear I spend two weeks searching for how to do things every time I get a new phone.

I don't think I have anything less than 5V/2A so I'll just shop for USB-C cables. Thanks again.

Robiin

Is anyone else finding the screen gloss annoying? It's driving me insane, especially during daytime. The screen quality is nice, but it's so god damn reflective. Would a screen protector solve this??

NeOak

Is anyone else finding the screen gloss annoying? It's driving me insane, especially during daytime. The screen quality is nice, but it's so god damn reflective. Would a screen protector solve this??

Plastic one, yes.

Glass one, nope.

sirap

Get a matte film protector if you don't mind having a granier screen.

sirap

Would that "lessen" the impact of the screen then? I like the look but functionality is suffering for me.. how do you guys have it?

I don't have one on my S8 but I do use a matte film protector on my Ipad Pro for drawing. You'll sacrifice sharpness and color vibrancy for excellent fingerprint resistance, glare reduction and smoother touch interaction (better than pure glass imo because the surface isn't as grippy).

Color noise/grain can also be an issue depending on how rough the surface is. Some of the more expensive ones balance this quite nicely...but it's something you'll have to see in person. Maybe get a really cheap one and see if you can live with it?

Robiin

I don't have one on my S8 but I do use a matte film protector on my Ipad Pro for drawing. You'll sacrifice sharpness and color vibrancy for excellent fingerprint resistance, glare reduction and smoother touch interaction (better than pure glass imo because the surface isn't as grippy).

Color noise/grain can also be an issue depending on how rough the surface is. Some of the more expensive ones balance this quite nicely...but it's something you'll have to see in person. Maybe get a really cheap one and see if you can live with it?
Thanks for the info dude. My local store didn't have any screen protectors yet but I'll see later if I can live without one.

Finally made myself a homescreen that I'm happy with.

0d6yqGa.png

Robiin

What's that clock/weather widget?
Zooper Widget Pro -> Fox for Zooper. One of the presets there, with a few tweaks I made myself (fixed how it handles my system language, the way the date is displayed and font sizes).

By the way, does anyone know if you can hide the edge shortcut? Basically I want to be able to have the "drag from the edge" functionality but I don't want a white line there at all times.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Zooper Widget Pro -> Fox for Zooper. One of the presets there, with a few tweaks I made myself (fixed how it handles my system language, the way the date is displayed and font sizes).

By the way, does anyone know if you can hide the edge shortcut? Basically I want to be able to have the "drag from the edge" functionality but I don't want a white line there at all times.

Thanks

Bring up the Edge, click on the settings button, press the ellipses at the top right and then handle settings to adjust the size of the bar and transparency.. Hope that helps.

I use Weather Now Forecast & Widgets (from Hampster Beat). It has tons of customizable widgets and you can choose from any 3 different weather sources for data - Weather Underground, Accuweather and Open Weather Map. It also animates the current weather conditions in the background if you want. One of the coolest apps I have IMO.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hamsterbeat.wallpapers.fx.color.free&hl=en

8OUSonYNhtwVx33_WYKftQfoPNBF93yB02ozJXlRapgKxRNzkd9ExIUBoAxFlYT-QYE=h900-rw

I like it cause it has detailed widgets and you can change icon styles and rearrange font sizes and stuff.

VanWinkle

Bro, Display Mate rated the S8 as one of the least reflective glass covered screens ever made.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Thanks for the info dude. My local store didn't have any screen protectors yet but I'll see later if I can live without one.

Finally made myself a homescreen that I'm happy with.

0d6yqGa.png

This is like Prey: The Phone. Dig the aesthetic.

It's been 1d 1h since I topped off at 100% battery and now I'm at 48% battery left and my SOT is barely at 2 hours. I have auto brightness on, but I'm indoor most days so the brightness is about 25-30% most times. I'm wifi most of the day outside of my commute where I Spotify for about 40 minute each way. And I'm usually texting and looking at Instagram and Facebook most of my day.

Is my battery doing all right? I keep reading about people's crazy battery life, but I feel like it is quite average for me. Am I just underestimating how much juice my routine consumes?

Treo360

This will be the last time I ever buy a phone directly from Samsung that's tied to a carrier. What a mess to get the t-mobile variant unlocked. Tmo says that they can't do it as it wasn't bought through them, and Samsung saying that only Tmo can do it as it's carrier locked. It wouldn't be so comical if I didn't have to wait 2 hours stuck in a roundabout between the two with no resolution.

It's been 1d 1h since I topped off at 100% battery and now I'm at 48% battery left and my SOT is barely at 2 hours. I have auto brightness on, but I'm indoor most days so the brightness is about 25-30% most times. I'm wifi most of the day outside of my commute where I Spotify for about 40 minute each way. And I'm usually texting and looking at Instagram and Facebook most of my day.

Is my battery doing all right? I keep reading about people's crazy battery life, but I feel like it is quite average for me. Am I just underestimating how much juice my routine consumes?

How long have you had your phone? Also, do you have a weak service signal during your commute?

SKINNER!

Banned
Gonna get my Samsung S8 tomorrow. Lovin that Grey one. Still unsure about whether to splurge for the S8 or S8+. Aside from the screen size, are there any other advantages? Battery? S8+ Users...what do you think?

Gonna get my Samsung S8 tomorrow. Lovin that Grey one. Still unsure about whether to splurge for the S8 or S8+. Aside from the screen size, are there any other advantages? Battery? S8+ Users...what do you think?

battery lasts longer, but it's 130 dollars more. all depends on whether you want the bigger screen or not.

SKINNER!

Banned
battery lasts longer, but it's 130 dollars more. all depends on whether you want the bigger screen or not.

Oh, so there's a bigger battery in the S8+ or is it the same battery with better performance? I don't mind the bigger screen (my last phone is a Xperia Z1) but I'm more interested in the S8+ if users are saying the battery lasts longer. Would love a phone with noticeable good battery life.

Mindwipe

Oh, so there's a bigger battery in the S8+ or is it the same battery with better performance? I don't mind the bigger screen (my last phone is a Xperia Z1) but I'm more interested in the S8+ if users are saying the battery lasts longer. Would love a phone with noticeable good battery life.

It's a bigger battery, 3500mah vs 3000.

However, the bigger screen does use slightly more power. In practice the S8+ is a little bit longer, but not hugely.

Hasney

The only other real difference is that UFS storage lottery doesn't seem to have affected the S8+ unless some new info has come out. but how big is the difference between UFS 2 and 2.1 really?

Personally, I always prefer the bigger phones and could handle a bigger one than this even, but that's a total YMMV.

SKINNER!

Banned
Thank you all for the info.

Unsure what you guys are meaning with regards to the UFS storage lottery so I'll take that into consideration before purchasing. Is it a flaw in some Samsung S8s? Is there a way to find out? Really hate it when that happens. It was the same when the Xperia Z1 first came out and half the phones released used a shit screen while other had a better quality ones. Sadly, I ended up with the shitty screen.

I suppose the bigger battery in the S8+ is to accommodate for the larger screen as opposed to making it have a better battery life than the S8. Size wise, I guess I'll just have to hold it in my hand to make that decision but I'm leaning towards the S8 and use the spare cash to buy a good quality case.

Top Bottom