• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

got my Samsnug Gear VR.. played with it a few hours and i think i might sell it. having the circles in my peripheral takes me out of the whole immersion.plus the IQ isn't as great as i though it would be.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So day one users who already dropped your phones.

Hows your s8 so far?

Loving mine so far since day 1. Just have a thin case and no screen protector. No drops and no scratches, but I've been pretty careful *knock on wood.

Performance had been great for me as well.

Ark

So day one users who already dropped your phones.

Hows your s8 so far?

Even in my Neo Hybrid the S8+ is slippery as heck. Even with my giant hands, I've been using it as a two-handed phone just to be extra safe.

I have dropped it once so far from about 6ft into a patio, but it survived the fall unscathed (for which I feel very lucky:p).

BAH - i have a gripe when using this sexy phone with my spigen case. All the lint/dust it catches when i put it in my pocket and take it out. I dislike all of the lint/dust that gathers in all of the corners. GRRR

I really want to go caseless, because this phone just feels so good to hold, but i know it's a mistake in the event i drop it. (dropped it once with the case so far, so far so good)

BAH - i have a gripe when using this sexy phone with my spigen case. All the lint/dust it catches when i put it in my pocket and take it out. I dislike all of the lint/dust that gathers in all of the corners. GRRR

I really want to go caseless, because this phone just feels so good to hold, but i know it's a mistake in the event i drop it. (dropped it once with the case so far, so far so good)

I took the case off for the first time in awhile yesterday and I still can't get over how light it feels and how the screen really does seem to "fall off" the sides of the phone. I quickly put it back in the case lol

TheGrizz

This phone makes butter feel grippy. I would case this phone up and only take it off every once in a while to clean it and remove the dust/gunk. I think phones have hit their limit of slimness.

jm89

I took the case off for the first time in awhile yesterday and I still can't get over how light it feels and how the screen really does seem to "fall off" the sides of the phone. I quickly put it back in the case lol

Yeah it feels and looks amazing without a case, but the s8 did awful in alot of drop tests not worth the risk.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a much lighter and thinner case, putting the neo hybrid on feels criminal.

Afrikan

Can anyone recommend a case?

I care about drop quality. But also slimness if possible. For the sides, so still can infinity screen.

I have a 8+

edit- also, going from a S4 to an S8+ :D

Gonna miss the infrared port. Oh well.

Lagamorph

So since getting my S8+ I've noticed some unusual behaviour with the Firefox app.

Most people know that you could use Firefox to browse YouTube from your phone and play videos/music/playlists in the background or with the screen turned off, but whilst this worked fine on my Nexus 6P it doesn't work on my S8+.
If I turn off the screen, playback stops immediately. If I close my case it continues playing until the screen off timeout, then playback stops. Now, if I use "Request Desktop Site" then I can turn off the screen and playback works, but only until the end of the video. The playlist doesn't autoplay the next video until I unlock the phone again, then it automatically moves on to the next video.

Is this a change in the behaviour of the Firefox app itself? Have Google done something to YouTube to block this workaround to getting YouTube Red? Or is it a setting on the S8+ that I need to change somewhere?

Can anyone recommend a case?

I care about drop quality. But also slimness if possible. For the sides, so still can infinity screen.

I have a 8+

edit- also, going from a S4 to an S8+ :D

Gonna miss the infrared port. Oh well.

You won't miss the slowness and lagginess of the S4 ;) (and horrible battery life)

Hasney

Whenever I do this, with any remapper, my UI drops to 30fps.

Wtf.

Mine doesn't go that bad, but it's certainly hogging resources. I ended up just disabling Bixby entirely using package manager and it keeps the smoothness, just renders that button pointless.

Draft

I bought my phone during the last week of April, meaning in the wasteland between the Gear VR promotion and the Netflix/Case/SD Card promotion. Has anyone successfully convinced Samsung to give them either promo in this situation? I'm low grade ticked off! I could have waited a few days and gotten a free SD card!

spekkeh

Banned
This phone makes butter feel grippy. I would case this phone up and only take it off every once in a while to clean it and remove the dust/gunk. I think phones have hit their limit of slimness.
It's actually not at all slippery. It's incredibly smooth, so I thought like you in the beginning as well, but the weight balance makes it that it sticks to your hand really nicely. It hasn't slipped out of my hand once. Conversely the SGS6 had been kissing the pavement at least four times in my first month.

Jeffrey

I bought my phone during the last week of April, meaning in the wasteland between the Gear VR promotion and the Netflix/Case/SD Card promotion. Has anyone successfully convinced Samsung to give them either promo in this situation? I'm low grade ticked off! I could have waited a few days and gotten a free SD card!
Why not return in the 14 day window?

'shop your receipt.

Log4Girlz

My S4 started to die and I have to leave real soon to Ohio for business. I said f it, I'm getting the S8. I couldn't get the plus, but I needed a phone ASAP. Fucking shit does the battery destroy the S4. Sure, it was really starting to fade, but I could never listen to music and surf the web for hours like I can on this one.

Just got that slim case that was 0.99 since pages ago and it really feels like it's not on there. Not obtrusive on the sides either. I was worried though because of the site.

Azerare

Are you guys using the Samsung browser? If so, what extensions/blockers are you using?
So far I just found myself using adblock on mine, I'm also curious what else is out there.

On the case of screen protectors compatible with spigen cases. What are you guys using? Links or names would help!

sun-drop

the snap window feature on this phone is just so far ahead of any other multi tasking solution out there its not funny...

amazing Samsung don't do more to point this out.....maybe afraid of apple patenting it if they discover it lol

the snap window feature on this phone is just so far ahead of any other multi tasking solution out there its not funny...

amazing Samsung don't do more to point this out.....maybe afraid of apple patenting it if they discover it lol

The lack of multi window support on my year old $200 phone is what I wish I had. Processor or Ram or Camera or bezel or whatever I don't care nearly as much and stuff like this that really increases everyday usability.

I got an OTA update, 650MB, S8+ Exynos variant, India.

34713376195_8a9057bd9d_c.jpg

Pepiope

Definitely running into some security issues. I have a few trusted places where I don't have to use either scanner to unlock the phone, but it usually won't ask for a passcode even when I'm in a new place.

Hopefully that's fixed in an update.

pprkut

Neo Member
Just got mine today and theres a subtle red tint on the top of the screen. Has anyone managed to hide it even a bit?

Mikef2000

Anyone having problems with the keyboard not registering presses on the letters closest to the edge("A" for example). It's very annoying and is causing me to very slow at replying chats/emails.

I use the Google Keyboard, btw.

Jeffrey

Anyone having problems with the keyboard not registering presses on the letters closest to the edge("A" for example). It's very annoying and is causing me to very slow at replying chats/emails.

I use the Google Keyboard, btw.
No issues using SwiftKey. Occasionally there is a delay when typing fast, but that's just classic Samsung lag.

Top Bottom