• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Bernardino Suspects Spoke of Attacks in 2013, F.B.I. Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/us/san-bernardino-massacre-fbi.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, said Wednesday that the couple who waged a shooting rampage in San Bernardino, Calif., last week had been talking of an attack as far back as two years ago, before the United States gave the woman approval to enter the country.

The disclosure raised the possibility that American immigration and law enforcement authorities missed something in the woman’s background when they granted her the approval. It also suggested that the attackers had been inspired by groups that were far older than the Islamic State, which rose to prominence in 2014.

The couple were “talking to each other about jihad and martyrdom before they became engaged and married and were living in the U.S.,” Mr. Comey said.

Mr. Comey said that the “investigation to date shows that they were radicalized before they started courting or dating each other online.”

The couple, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, met online before she moved to the United States in 2014.

So after all of the mass spying they want to do against their own citizens (and so many readily bend over for), it was just another case of having easily accessible info already in front of them they didn't act on or do anything about or just got lost in the shuffle?

Sounds about right.

entremet

So after all of the mass spying they want to do against their own citizens (and so many readily bend over for), it was just another case of having easily accessible info already in front of them they didn't act on or do anything about or just got lost in the shuffle?

Sounds about right.

I could imagine it's pretty easy to get around NSA spying if you're not an idiot.

Uses code words and only discuss things in person, not over channels than can be spied--meeting and discussing things in person.

This is basic stuff that has been used by guerrilla groups for decades.

This should also serve as a reminder for people who are obsesses with ISIL right now. If it hadn't been them they supported on Facebook, it would have been the other group down the list. Until people can focus on the ideology there will be no real answer.

Guevara

Kind of can't believe you'd plan a terrorist attack, shelf it, then go on living your life for three years

Blader

Sounds about right.

Yep. Bad enough that all that mass surveillance hasn't actually prevented anything, but the attacks that have happened were plenty discoverable without the NSA's tactics.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Kind of can't believe you'd plan a terrorist attack, shelf it, then go on living your life for three years
It takes a while to save up enough money for four guns, ammo, and pipe bomb materials.

Plus, she got pregnant and maybe didn't want to jihad her unborn child.

Curufinwe

This should also serve as a reminder for people who are obsesses with ISIL right now. If it hadn't been them they supported on Facebook, it would have been the other group down the list. Until people can focus on the ideology there will be no real answer.

The people who act like Islamic terrorism started with ISIS are so annoying. They also think that an American-led ground war in the middle east will stop Islamic terrorism, when it would only encourage it.

antonz

The Government screwed things up big time with this couple and people died. They acknowledge they knew they reached out to known Radicals who were in fact on lists but didn't bother to add them to any sort of watchlist or any other method.

FBI and others fucked up and people should be held accountable.

Other articles have mentioned that anti-terror operations led to arrests in the area they lived which likely spooked them underground

They said on the radio this morning that they think there's the possibility that the two were connected to others and that more may be on the way.

ColdPizza

Banned
Each passing day we get new information like this and Trump and his supporters are going to use this to justify themselves. It's really starting to annoy me.

Futureman

They said on the radio this morning that they think there's the possibility that the two were connected to others and that more may be on the way.

who is "they?" The government hasn't said that (that I know of), so it sounds like someone trying to stir things up.

norm9

says joe blow on the internet.

I'm not taking a stance either way, but you are hardly qualified to say this.

The government likes to trot out vague threats being stopped. They haven't for mass surveillance because it hasn't stopped anything.

Burt

Total indictment of mass surveillance apparatus.

Not entirely. Besides the fact that there's no way to provide evidence of the number of similar attacks that may have been avoided, while there's clearly way too much data to proactively prevent every case, they do at least have the ability to go through these people's history and work towards being more effective in the future, whether that means in terms of acquiring actual targets or just improving their protocols.

When I first heard the news this morning, I wasn't happy about the reminder that they're clearly able to dig up detailed conversations for people not even on their radar (when much of the argument has been framed as "metadata is simply phone call destination and duration"), but if there's a place where it serves a purpose, it's here.

entremet

The government likes to trot out vague threats being stopped. They haven't for mass surveillance because it hasn't stopped anything.

Wouldn't that be because the program was classified in the first place?

It started in 2001 and only was revealed in 2013 by Snowden. That's 12 years, spanning two administrations.

I'm not for mass surveillance and I think it's a violation of the Constitutional right to privacy, but your assumption isn't ironclad there.

norm9

Wouldn't that be because the program was classified in the first place?

It started in 2001 and only was revealed in 2013 by Snowden. That's 12 years, spanning two administrations.

I'm not for mass surveillance and I think it's a violation of the Constitutional right to privacy, but your assumption isn't ironclad there.

I recall during every election cycle during the Bush years the press conferences saying a number of vague threats being stopped because of surveillance and the Patriot Act. And a little digging from the papers said that these threats were just people talking and not actual threats.

phaonaut

It takes a while to save up enough money for four guns, ammo, and pipe bomb materials.

Plus, she got pregnant and maybe didn't want to jihad her unborn child.

Not really, weapons are incredibly cheap. I don't know what weapons they had, but a used ford fiesta is probably more expensive.

gcubed

I recall during every election cycle during the Bush years the press conferences saying a number of vague threats being stopped because of surveillance and the Patriot Act. And a little digging from the papers said that these threats were just people talking and not actual threats.

Which is it then? If you wanted then stopped in 2013 then it was just them talking and not actually threats.

Can't have it both ways

norm9

Which is it then? If you wanted then stopped in 2013 then it was just them talking and not actually threats.

Can't have it both ways

If they're spending however many billions on surveillance, I'd hope they can filter correctly and and follow up on actual credible threats. If they cant, their intelligence ain't actually all that intelligent and should be shut down.

Total indictment of mass surveillance apparatus.
Questions of mass surveillance aside. One attack isn't an indictment of the entire system. That's like saying a crime happening is an indictment of all of law enforcement.
It's impossible to stop all crime and terrorism.

Dabanton

Questions of mass surveillance aside. One attack isn't an indictment of the entire system. That's like saying a crime happening is an indictment of all of law enforcement.

Indeed. Especially a lone'ish wolf one like this. Nothing you can realistically do to stop these kind of things, Unless people are really up for internment camps?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

i guess the better comparison is if law enforcement has never made an arrest.

if it isn't working at all, then maybe you should be investing in something else or doing something differently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom