• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Bernardino shooting: Attacker pledged allegiance to ISIS, officials say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

The owner of the home let them in and the tenants are dead. I think that's a nonstarter

It's not the landlord's right. Only the next of kin and coroner had legal access per the police department:

5PH46Cm.png

yg5bzgt.png

Still too crazy to think that an otherwise average well to do citizen would go to such lengths. Guy was financially stable, educated and had a newborn kid to boot yet still went through with all this madness.
With this in mind, it's not hard to see why Islamaphobia is becoming more and more apparent in today's society.

Yikes, an American born citizen with a solid ass job, wife, home, and baby just goes apeshit on jihad?
A horror show for the terror victims and some ominous social repercussions lay ahead for America.

Yikes, an American born citizen with a solid ass job, wife, home, and baby just goes apeshit on jihad?
A horror show for the terror victims and some ominous social repercussions lay ahead for America.

honestly, i would guess severe untreated schizophrenia. not just radicalization alone.

(of course most people with schizophrenia are not dangerous so i'm not trying to demonize the condition.)

there's just absolutely NO WAY he was sane and had a normally functioning brain.

But then it seems like the common factor is Islam.

The general public will definitely take note of the fact that a seemingly normal, law abiding Muslim went from 0-100 in a manner that was almost imperceptible to his peers and coworkers. There will now be a heightened public perception that any Muslim is capable of terrorism, no matter how outwardly normal they appear to be.

Diablos

Does anyone have a screen cap of the guy with his extra large fountain drink outside of the home?

Really, that is a perfect image of what this country has turned into. Breaking news at the bottom, door is open, lazy American with his sugary drink just kinda hanging out because why not.

rjinaz

The general public will definitely take note of the fact that a seemingly normal, law abiding Muslim went from 0-100 in a manner that was almost imperceptible to his peers and coworkers. There will now be a heightened public perception that any Muslim is capable of terrorism, no matter how outwardly normal they appear to be.

Yeah, sad to say I have already heard somebody say "yeah, see? They can look normal enough, but it takes next to nothing to set those people off". Somebody talking at Starbucks...

rjinaz

Does anyone have a screen cap of the guy with his extra large fountain drink outside of the home?

Really, that is a perfect image of what this country has turned into. Breaking news at the bottom, door is open, lazy American with his sugary drink just kinda hanging out because why not.

Also heard on MSNBC that some lady walking her dog stepped inside and took a look around.

RPGCrazied

WEzlBOu.png

Dont forget the soccer mom that dragged her poor kid to the house before dropping him off at the swimming class so she could take pictures and post it on her fb

Yeah kinda goes against the whole poverty and lack of education sob stories you usually here when people try and explain how these Muslims become radical.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah kinda goes against the whole poverty and lack of education sob stories you usually here when people try and explain how these Muslims become radical.

that relates to people in the Middle Eastern region... i dont think anyone has ever tried to sell that as something that applies in western countries. that's a different kind of problem completely. and i would think it has more in common with the overall problem of mass shootings we have in America.

Saucy_XL

Banned
that relates to people in the Middle Eastern region... i dont think anyone has ever tried to sell that as something that applies in western countries. that's a different kind of problem completely. and i would think it has more in common with the overall problem of mass shootings we have in America.

Definitely happens when they discuss European youth leaving to join ISIS.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

What rock have you been living under. Since when were most western born radicalized muslims, "poor and uneducated", This phenomom has been documented for a good decade now. Highschool studens colledge students, entire families and various walks of life. This isn't new in the slightest. It happens because of radical teachings in specific mosques, and the fact Islamophobia increased signifcantly since 9/11 plus any general dislike of western culture someone already had.

dabig2

That's not for the minority of Westerner converts, not really at least. That's to explain how ISIS can field an "army" of tens of thousands red shirts. When religion, especially one as ultra-conservative as Islam, dominates your culture and politics, then you're going to see an increase in extremist views.

People don't need religion or Islam to become shitty. But all we're saying is that in the regions where secularism lost the battle, you're going to see a higher rate of fools.

EmSeta

Unlike most of you guys, when it comes to the risk of increased anti-muslim bigotry, I'm sort of relieved to hear about the ISIS connection. If not, some people might draw the false conclusion that "normal" non-radicalized Muslims might be prone to commit random acts of violence.

Unlike most of you guys, when it comes to the risk of increased anti-muslim bigotry, I'm sort of relieved to hear about the ISIS connection. If not, some people might draw the false conclusion that "normal" non-radicalized Muslims might be prone to commit random acts of violence.

Not sure what you mean here. Anyone could go on facebook and pledge allegiance like this.

This is basically a case of someone who was radicalized without having to go any training camp or stronghold.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

That's always been an odd excuse. Several of the 9/11 highjackers had at least a partial college education. One of the ringleaders had a degree in architecture, another was studying law.

The ideological cancer that Islamic terrorist share does not discriminate based on wealth.

A lot of this really brings home for me just how uneasy I've been with certain liberal talking points on security over the past few years.

The NSA collecting metadata is a huge overreach with no benefits, yet monitoring this kind of data did catch him communicating with a known terrorist, information which the FBI chose to ignore.

The police having military equipment is treated as a shocking overreach as well until an incidentvlike this comes along and brutally demonstrates that yes there is a reason for it and yes they do need it. I'm not suggesting they carry said equipment everywhere by the way, as I feel I need to say that ahead of time since it feels likely someone will not understand/misinterpret this.

As for the refugees, until today I really did trust the President on this. 10k is a small enough number to properly vouch so I was on board... Now I'm less sure. They failed to properly vet her, plain and simple. Even if I ostensibly agree with the idea he's proposing, it feels hard to argue against that.

EmSeta

Not sure what you mean here. Anyone could go on facebook and pledge allegiance like this.

This is basically a case of someone who was radicalized without having to go any training camp or stronghold.

Sure, but having a clearer motive could dispel the eventual notion that non-radicalized Muslims are violent. I hope.

A lot of this really brings home for me just how uneasy I've been with certain liberal talking points on security over the past few years.

The NSA collecting metadata is a huge overreach with no benefits, yet monitoring this kind of data did catch him communicating with a known terrorist, information which the FBI chose to ignore.

The police having military equipment is treated as a shocking overreach as well until an incidentvlike this comes along and brutally demonstrates that yes there is a reason for it and yes they do need it. I'm not suggesting they carry said equipment everywhere by the way, as I feel I need to say that ahead of time since it feels likely someone will not understand/misinterpret this.

As for the refugees, until today I really did trust the President on this. 10k is a small enough number to properly vouch so I was on board... Now I'm less sure. They failed to properly vet her, plain and simple. Even if I ostensibly agree with the idea he's proposing, it feels hard to argue against that.

So wouldn't it make more sense to go after the visa program that she used rather than a refugee program? Not to mention it doesn't stop people who are actually citizens like the guy was.

I've also noticed you completely ignored the guns issue? The Republican talking point right now appears to be that a person on a no fly list shouldn't also be banned from buying guns. Does that talking point make you uneasy?

Downhome

That is what started the whole thing? Please tell me this is a joke.

The attorney for the family of the murdering terrorists are on TV right now making endless excuses for every single little detail of the case we know about so far.

He had so many weapons because something about certain things not being sold at times, so he bought large stocks of them to have because he knew he wouldn't be able to get it again possible, and on and on and on.

Downhome

This whole press conference is a mistake on the part of whoever is paying for them.

Tell me about it. If anything it's going to fill everyone else with rage against them, and the entire family, more than even before. I have no clue what these two morons are doing. It's insane.

She was a CARING HOUSEWIFE. That's all. How sweet.

jond76

Banned
Ok, this kinda sorta fills me with rage that this is what they are saying...

hxBAvEr.jpg

They are criminal defense attorneys. They are going to say whatever they can to mitigate how shitty their clients were.

Who is telling them that they made fun of the guys beard? These guys are clowns, especially the guy on the left.

Calamari41

41 > 38
They are criminal defense attorneys. They are going to say whatever they can to mitigate how shitty their clients were.

Who is telling them that they made fun of the guys beard? These guys are clowns, especially the guy on the left.

That's the thing, they're lawyers for the family, not the terrorists

Downhome

I get why the are doing it. It doesn't mean it isn't stupid as hell.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Holy shit, this quote from the guy on the left earlier today from The Daily Mail (on a video I unfortunately can't play right now):

"There were a lot of questions drawn with Sandy Hook and whether or not that was a real incident or not."

Is the family really going to do this?

Downhome

Holy shit, this quote from the guy on the left earlier today from The Daily Mail (on a video I unfortunately can't play right now):

"There were a lot of questions drawn with Sandy Hook and whether or not that was a real incident or not."

Is the family really going to do this?

Well, there you go. That's all I need to know about these two idiots. Good lord.

I knew something was different about these two numbskulls as soon as I saw this on TV.

Seventy70

But then it seems like the common factor is Islam.

And if we face the facts, Islam is here to stay. Either we can keep the majority of followers close to our side, or we can drive them away and increase our enemies. I think it would be wiser to have the majority on the sane side. All this islamaphobia is going to justify radicalism to many people. What you think of the religion itself is irrelevant. It seems clear what the best option is, but unfortunately it isn't going to play out that way. People are more interested in pointing fingers and being right than choosing the right course of action.

Downhome

The mother lived WITH these two? That's what they just said, they didn't drop the baby off, they just left it there with her at the house. There is no way, at all, she didn't know what the hell was going on. COME ON.

Now they are saying she didn't know because she always stayed upstairs, lmao.

She wasn't a refugee.

She entered the country legally with a K-1 Visa. She passed the Homeland Security background check and was issued a greencard.

She married a US born American citizen.

There were no refugees involved.

So wouldn't it make more sense to go after the visa program that she used rather than a refugee program? Not to mention it doesn't stop people who are actually citizens like the guy was.

I've also noticed you completely ignored the guns issue? The Republican talking point right now appears to be that a person on a no fly list shouldn't also be banned from buying guns. Does that talking point make you uneasy?
I fully support gun control, but what sort of gun control would this of prevented? Looking at California's laws, everything people normally suggest short of an out and out constitutional ban was already in place. They bought the guns legally and modified them.
She wasn't a refugee.
No one claimed she was. She did however have to go through the sort of background check and interview process that they would be subject to.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The mother lived WITH these two? That's what they just said, they didn't drop the baby off, they just left it there with her at the house. There is no way, at all, she didn't know what the hell was going on. COME ON.

Now they are saying she didn't know because she always stayed upstairs, lmao.

Yup, she lived with them.

That's why they're going this route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom