• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Bernardino shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
ABC has posted a picture of her and this little nugget:

Malik came to the U.S. on what is known as a “fiancé” visa, which allows an American fiancé to petition for his or her partner’s temporary entry before marriage. For the visa application, the address she listed in her Pakistani hometown, ABC News discovered today, does not exist. Malik received a her Green Card this summer, U.S. officials said.

That's some good work boys.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/female-san-bernardino-shooter-tashfeen-malik/story?id=35589386

If that's true, expect this to be brought up repeatedly during refugee screening discussions.

Given what we've seen from the media surrounding this entire affair I'm not going with a thing say until they ALL agree on it and a named official stands by the claim.

If that's true, expect this to be brought up repeatedly during refugee screening discussions.

Ironically, while the House was going about their refugee vote. There was a bipartisan senate effort to change the rules with regards to visas. To make them tougher.

Yamauchi

Banned
Fucking Isis. About that time to start dropping some big bombs
Can't beat ISIS without troops on the ground to take and hold ground. I think the Shias in Iraq will end up conquering most of ISIS held territory within 6 months, however (though the Battle of Mosul may take a bit longer). It seems like ISIS may be losing its breath in Syria, also, so hopefully they'll begin to fade there as well.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

the refugee process is the highest level of scrutiny, ironically. the rest of the visa program, some of it doesnt even have any checks at all. Visa Waiver program

Anjelus_

I tend to agree with the previous poster, this is all a reaction to our previous "brute force" attempts, as he said. More than that, the Bernardino attack seems entirely homegrown. There's nothing we can do against that militarily, short of locking down the entire state and going full Orwell.

This is ideological. Hearts and minds. Young Muslims around the world need to stop seeing ISIS and thinking "That is cool, i want to do that!" And most of the pushback needs to come from the Muslim community itself.

A conventional, U.S. military attack will wipe out ISIS, and then in another few years the survivors will recruit more people and it'll be ISIS 2.0, the same way ISIS is "Al-Qaeda in Iraq" 2.0. That does exactly shit for us.

That doesn't mean non-U.S. troops shouldn't take them on conventionally. Shep on Fox News said, and I completely agree, that this is the civil war the Middle East should have had between WW1 and WW2 if we hadn't gotten in the way and drew lines on the map for them. The dynamic with ISIS and radical Islam makes it worse, but at the end of the day, it's the same old bullshit going on there.

Can't beat ISIS without troops on the ground to take and hold ground. I think the Shias in Iraq will end up conquering most of ISIS held territory within 6 months, however (though the Battle of Mosul may take a bit longer). It seems like ISIS may be losing its breath in Syria, also, so hopefully they'll begin to fade there as well.

If there's one thing I agreed with you on it was that the US should just let Russia deal with ISIS (if that's what Russia was actually doing, which we know it's not). Are you implying now that you want US troops in Syria and Iraq? Why?!

But how can that change anything when all that's required is a guy to buy or acquire some weapons, read some manuals online, and go off.

That's the problem with ISIL. It's not a members only club and it's not about some central location. It's an evolution of an ideology that can be spread anywhere in the world.

ABC has posted a picture of her and this little nugget:

Malik came to the U.S. on what is known as a “fiancé” visa, which allows an American fiancé to petition for his or her partner’s temporary entry before marriage. For the visa application, the address she listed in her Pakistani hometown, ABC News discovered today, does not exist. Malik received a her Green Card this summer, U.S. officials said.

That's some good work boys.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/female-san-bernardino-shooter-tashfeen-malik/story?id=35589386

why the fuck is your country spying on EVERYONE but stil can't even do this basic shit? good god

Might have been posted already but gotta give it to NYDN for the ballsy front pages these 2 days:

NYDNNRA.jpg

RedFyn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rnardino-attackers-family-floats-hoax-theory/

Edit: :/ I liked daily mails write up the best. Here's a quote
DM said:
To illustrate his point, Chesley made a bizarre reference to the Sandy Hook massacre, suggesting it didn't take place as described in the official narrative.

'There have been suggestions that it may be something that was related to their work, that somehow he was a disgruntled employee,' he said.

'But it doesn't seem plausible to us that this petite woman [Malik] would be involved in this sort of hyper-caricatured, Bonnie and Clyde crazy scenario.

'There were a lot of questions drawn with Sandy Hook and whether or not that was a real incident or not.

'But I mean obviously these things were found there, how they got there we don't know.'

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
its up on a couple news sites this is going FBI terror investigation now, guess they've found more evidence.

This is still a really weird pattern for a terrorist to follow. They covered their tracks and it isn't like they left behind any sort of message to make their intentions clear. Not saying they weren't terrorists either but this seems like it's going to be a very weird or complex motive once the authorities figure all this stuff out.

jstripes

Banned
I'm in favor of that but at least be clear about what you're talking about. This farook guy was homegrown and likely radicalized through the internet. He wasn't just sent over here from Syria as some kind of agent.

It's not just about dropping bombs on some physical location and then you got a job well done. This is something that is spreading through information.

Time to bomb the Internet.

DM said:
To illustrate his point, Chesley made a bizarre reference to the Sandy Hook massacre, suggesting it didn't take place as described in the official narrative.

'There have been suggestions that it may be something that was related to their work, that somehow he was a disgruntled employee,' he said.

'But it doesn't seem plausible to us that this petite woman [Malik] would be involved in this sort of hyper-caricatured, Bonnie and Clyde crazy scenario.

'There were a lot of questions drawn with Sandy Hook and whether or not that was a real incident or not.

'But I mean obviously these things were found there, how they got there we don't know.'

We just had crisis training at my job and they played one of the 911 tapes from Sandy Hook. It was a woman hiding from the gunman and putting pressure on bullet wounds one of her colleagues had suffered. She then believed she heard and saw him outside the door. Thankfully, the police ended up coming in and saving her. Throughout all of this, they had a slideshow of school photos of the kids and press photos from what happened that day (nothing violent).

What I'm trying to say is fuck anybody who says Sandy Hook was faked. I have zero fucking patience for that and it shows that you're a goddamn monster of person who's A: an idiot and/or B: values their idiotic politics and worldviews more than the lives of little six and seven year old kids, the adults who died trying to protect them, and their grieving families.

I can't believe it's even a thing. There is literally nothing that makes me angrier in this world.

Might have been posted already but gotta give it to NYDN for the ballsy front pages these 2 days:
I applaud them for tackling the NRA and political handwaving away of gun issues, but just because something scares people doesn't mean its terrorism.

Words have meanings, and emotions can cloud judgments on all sides of the argument causing us to disregard meanings and distinctions. Referring to any mass shooting as terrorism is literally meaningless, as it conflates very different problems.

These are all tragedies unleashed with firearms against innocents. There is no need to or benefit in forcing all of these events into a terrorism umbrella. It doesn't aid discussion, or illuminate our way forward, or allow us to judge previous efforts to prevent these horrors from occurring. It just makes people feel better to say (or scream, because this shit makes us want to), but its not accurate.

Ape

Banned
I haven't seen this posted and I'm on my phone so excuse the formatting ABC7 on Twitter

THIS JUST IN: UPS facility in San Bernardino receives suspicious package addressed to shooters; evacuations underway

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
you do realize there are Muslims in South Asia who wear the sari?

that appears to be his brother's photo but Muslim South Asians also wear it.

Yes, though rarely.
And I am talking about general perception in American masses, who will obviously not know such details of cultures and will relate the attire to terrorism. Remember attacks on Sikhs after 9/11?

Nesotenso

Yes, though rarely.
And I am talking about general perception in American masses, who will obviously not know such details of cultures and will relate the attire to terrorism. Remember attacks on Sikhs after 9/11?

I don't know where this 'rarely' comes from. I have known both Indian and Bengali Muslim women wear sarees, especially for social functions, just like Hindu women here.

and no one is going to the think sari= terrorist. Your initial post was extremely stupid with you lamenting how Indians or Hindus are going to be falsely targeted now, when anyone being targeted (irrespective of religion or nationality) is bad.

Zok310

Banned
Fucking finally.

It's so stupid that we don't have better gun control in this country. This is America, not some poor 3rd world country. There's no reason we should have this amount of gun violence.

More calculated than stupid. Until you get money out of politics the NRA will always sway and corrupt our elected officials to pass laws in their favor, keeping guns and ammunition in the streets.

NRA funds elected officials.
Elected officials returns the favor by protecting NRA interest.
Few innocent people die.
NRA laughs all the way to the bank
Corrupt official recives enough NRA funding to get re elected.
Repeats.

Korey

Some more info about the argument that possibly took place? Farook apparently had a negative relationship with a coworker.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...no-victim-had-argued-with-shooter-about-islam

Friends and family have described Nicholas Thalasinos, one of the 14 people slaughtered in San Bernardino, as a devoted father, husband and colleague, a dedicated health inspector, colourful dresser and outspoken conservative.

Thalasinos died at the hands of Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, a married couple who opened fire in the Inland Regional Center, a social services agency where Farook worked.

Farook, 28, and Malik were Muslims and Thalasinos, a Messianic Jew, took issue with Islam. He wrote fiery posts online and denounced Muslims as violent “turbanheads”. He had also argued with Farook, a fellow health inspector.

Farook had mentioned the teasing to his family, said Mohammad Abuershaid, another attorney. The lawyers mentioned “intolerance” and a “disgruntled colleague” at Farook’s workplace but did not elaborate.

Thalasinos’s widow told the New York Post on Thursday her husband was “anti-Muslim” and “probably had plenty to say” to Farook. “I’m sure everybody has seen his Facebook page. He’s very outspoken about Islamic terrorism and how he feels about politics in the state of the country,” she said.

Two weeks ago Kuuleme Stephens heard a heated argument when she phoned Thalasinos, a friend, at work. Farook said Thasalinos did not understand Islam, prompting Thalasinos to lament that he did not know how to talk to his colleague, Stephens told the Associated Press.

The day before he was killed Thalasinos posted on his Facebook page that he had received a threatening message from a man he described as an anti-Semitic brain surgeon named “Med Ali Zarouk” from the Ukraine.

The message stated that Thalasinos would never succeed in making a “country for Jews” and ended by saying “soon you ll get your ass kicked, you will die and never see israel as country believe me never”.

Thalasinos often posted fiery opinions on a range of topics, including politics and religion. He criticized everyone from Barack Obama to “Iranian fascists”, lamented the lack of biblical teachings in schools and declared global warming a farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom