• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Bernardino shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchap

That's a victim blaming article if I've ever seen one... so dumb. Murdering him and a bunch of other people only justified his Islamiphobia

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That's a victim blaming article if I've ever seen one... so dumb. Murdering him and a bunch of other people only justified his Islamiphobia

It's really a kind of inverse racism to suggest that brown people cannot help themselves but to kill others just because these others hurt their feelings. I do not necessarily see that line of thinking in that article, but I've definitely seen it every time something like this happens.

Korey

That MSNBC coverage of the "killers home" is just.... I dont even...

http://www.mediaite.com/online/msnb...g-killers-apartment-is-most-awful-thing-ever/

Yea, it's fucking shocking.

Full video at the top of this link: http://gawker.com/msnbc-reporter-rifles-through-san-bernardino-shooters-a-1746220523

It's like.....WHAT. AM. I. WATCHING??

CNN video: Law Enforcement Analyst Dumbfounded as Media Rummages Through House of Suspected Terrorists

Large reddit thread about this: https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/3vgh41/law_enforcement_analyst_dumbfounded_as_media/
I was watching this live as it unfolded from the moment they crowbarred the door down and media bumrushed the door, to the moment when MSNBC pulled their newscaster off the air. It was an astonishing media event. I have never seen such blatant invasion of privacy live on air like that. Andrea Mitchell sounded like she was going to faint when the reporter held up that sheet of photos of the female and started speculating that it was the (yet 2b photo id'd) Tashfeen Malik.

She wore traditional clothing that covered her face so that her brothers-in-law didn't even know what she looked like, according to the lawyers who represent Farook's mother and three siblings.

Well, this isn't going to help much with all the hostility towards Muslims women who hide their faces.

Jetman

But law enforcement did release the apartment to the landlord/public though, right? They should be held responsible for this. Media gonna media.

There wasn't a claim of responsibility. They stated these people were their supporters. Which we already knew from the facebook post reports. It's shocking how even basic facts can't be reported properly from certain news outlets.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Makes sense that they would target a small work Christmas party.

Seems to me they heard that Tashfeen Malik pledged to allegiance to them and decided to claim responsibility for it....if they actually claimed responsibility.

True. nydN has some pretty wild headlines at times lol.

If I'm not mistaken, ISIS isn't known for falsely claiming responsibility for attacks.

Makes sense that they would target a small work Christmas party.

Seems to me they heard that Tashfeen Malik pledged to allegiance to them and decided to claim responsibility for it....if they actually claimed responsibility.

No other reputable news organization is saying they claimed responsibility. What we know is that their radio program or whatever the fuck they run claims them as supporters of their cause. Which is something they grabbed from the news since she posted on facebook.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
I mean, it's not like ISIS doesn't want to attack the US from within. Whether they directly planned this attack or not is not very meaningful outside of aspects of the FBI investigation. And you can argue that ISIS is ultimately responsible because their propaganda and radicalization efforts have succeeded in this case.

I mean, it's not like ISIS doesn't want to attack the US from within. Whether they directly planned this attack or not is not very meaningful outside of aspects of the FBI investigation. And you can argue that ISIS is ultimately responsible because their propaganda and radicalization efforts have succeeded in this case.

It actually does matter. Authorities have been warning for years that people like Tsarnaev and other homegrown self radicalized attackers are close to impossible to track because there's no conspiracy or network to be able to infiltrate or spy on. The more people you have in anything, the more likely you are of being caught. It also means that you don't have to go to Syria and train in some camp.

There's a lot of things here that is meaningful. There were a few reports that they were using some stuff from Al Qaeda propaganda and manuals too, which means radicalization through the internet is pretty intense.

The FBI has labelled this an act of terror. Although there is strong evidence to suggest the couple had intended to commit one, is the actual shooting considered terrorism?

Polari

Some more info about the argument that possibly took place? Farook apparently had a negative relationship with a coworker.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...no-victim-had-argued-with-shooter-about-islam

Looking at the coworker's Facebook page, his post re: the Planned Parenthood shooting:

WHY is the LIBERAL MEDIA so UPSET there is a SOCIOPATHIC KILLER in a Planned Parenthood office?!?
INNOCENT BABIES are DISMEMBERED there EVERY DAY.
‪#‎AbortionClinicsareAbattoirs‬

Hmm...

dave is ok

aztek is ok
You don't think it had anything to do with it, seriously?
Do I think a couple Facebook memes made him carry out a plan to shoot a room full of people? No.

It might have made him prioritize Thalasinos as a target once he was doing it. This is getting pretty close to victim blaming.

Do I think a couple Facebook memes made him carry out a plan to shoot a room full of people? No.

We had a guy shoot up a Planned Parenthood a few days ago because of a meme video, man. Is it "the" reason? No, but there is no one reason. Those people died because everyone is allowed to have all the guns and ammunition they want and it's sold to you as "protecting your way of life", they died because some people just get to a place where they feel like they need to kill other people, and they died because this one guy no doubt antagonized this guy continually for being muslim.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
We had a guy shoot up a Planned Parenthood a few days ago because of a meme video, man. Is it "the" reason? No, but there is no one reason. Those people died because everyone is allowed to have all the guns and ammunition they want and it's sold to you as "protecting your way of life", they died because some people just get to a place where they feel like they need to kill other people, and they died because this one guy no doubt antagonized this guy continually for being muslim.
In both of those cases, people died because someone's religious ideology led them to believe it was acceptable or even commendable to kill certain people. Stop making the terrorist the victim of the story.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The New York Times lol. This is as relevant as Breitbart having a pro-gun article on the front page.

Are you kidding me? Despite what you may think, it's still the paper of record in the US and does a huge amount of very excellent reporting. Comparing it to Breitbart is a joke.

DroidDev

Neo Member
I don't think Facebook posts make people murder a dozen people

You don't think it had anything to do with it, seriously?

Shooting up a place is never a reasonable response, especially not because someone has strong differences of opinion. America is a country built on freedom of speech. If you can't handle people disagreeing with you without snapping, you don't belong in any country that affords its citizens such civil liberties. A side effect of freedom of speech is that people can attack other groups' core identities. Some Christians attack Muslims and Atheists for having a different source of moral guidance. Some Atheists frequently attack other religious groups for believing something they view as illogical. I agree that the world would be more peaceful without as much polarizing, inflammatory language. However, disagreement of opinion does not warrant violence. It's a basic tenant of every ethical society.

In both of those cases, people died because someone's religious ideology led them to believe it was acceptable or even commendable to kill certain people. Stop making the terrorist the victim of the story.

I never said he was victimized, I said he was radicalized. Elliot Rodger was not victimized by the girls that didn't want him. He still decided he was going to kill women.

thefit

The county HR failed everyone then. How the hell was that employee not at least warned about being confrontational with his political and ideological beliefs at work and outside of work in social media especially as a county employee. Its HR 101, expect a massive lawsuit.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
sounds like HR didn't get involved. it may have prevented the shooting being this party, but i dont think it would have stopped them from killing people.

this is why its important to view this as a hybrid of workplace violence and terrorism. because it is -- it seems they are no longer mutually exclusive terms, if they ever were.

DroidDev

Neo Member
Hence the choice of the word "radicalized" and not "reasonablized". I mean, it's so not what I was saying that I had to make up a word for it.

I imagine it was more than angry ranting of a coworker on Facebook that radicalized this guy. I think it was more the straw that broke the camel's back type situation, coupled with a susceptibility to radical ideology. I'll agree that the guy's posting on Facebook probably contributed. I imagine that the radicalization is a bit more complex though. I think an important question is what creates susceptibility to radical ideology in a modern society.

It might have made him prioritize Thalasinos as a target once he was doing it. This is getting pretty close to victim blaming.

I certainly don't think as a society we can assign any blame to Thalasinos, but if I was a family member/friend of a victim, I'd throw a little his way. He antagonized Farook enough that his plan prematurely started with his co-workers (I think they had something much more "grand" in mind).

RedFyn

You don't become radicalized simply by reading anti Islamic posts and having arguments about Islam. In this case there was still a conscious effort to turn toward evil.

The county HR failed everyone then. How the hell was that employee not at least warned about being confrontational with his political and ideological beliefs at work and outside of work in social media especially as a county employee. Its HR 101, expect a massive lawsuit.
You're assuming that it was a one sided issue. And how do you know he was confrontational? All we know is that they argued about religion at work.

Setzer

Unless I missed it and someone already posted about it, have they said anything about what the shooters were doing for 4 hours, in between the time they shot up the party and the time they were killed in a shoot-out with police? I guess it seems kinda odd to me that they remained in San Bernardino that whole time and didn't try to get as far away as possible....or maybe that was their plan all along, go out guns blazing.

It's incredible how those two left their baby all alone in the world. Maybe it will be for the best in the long run. I wouldn't even tell her the truth about her parents until she's a grown woman. I'll even change her last name. She doesn't deserve to be shamed her whole life for what her parents did.

It's incredible how does two left their baby all alone in the world. Maybe it will be for the best in the long run. I wouldn't even tell her the truth about her parents until she's a grown woman. I'll even change her last name. She doesn't deserve to be shamed her whole life for what her parents did.
Whats completely nuts is that they seemingly carried this massive operation out without anyone knowing. I mean, someone HAD to know whats up. Guns, rifles, pipebombs, bullets, magazines. Nuts.

Tarkus

Whats completely nuts is that they seemingly carried this massive operation out without anyone knowing. I mean, someone HAD to know whats up. Guns, rifles, pipebombs, bullets, magazines. Nuts.
Of course someone knew what was up. Many men were spotted entering and exiting the place in the days before.

Of course someone knew what was up. Many men were spotted entering and exiting the place in the days before.

Really dude? You're gonna take what some neighbor said to a reporter over the facts we know? A report that was never corroborated by the way.

We might as well just rename this thread to "well what I heard was..."

Tarkus

Really dude? You're gonna take what some neighbor said to a reporter over the facts we know? A report that was never corroborated by the way.

We might as well just rename this thread to "well what I heard was..."
Well it led to the director of the FBI making a televised announcement saying "if you see something out of the ordinary, report it." Is that not legit enough for you?

Well it led to the director of the FBI making a televised announcement saying "if you see something out of the ordinary, report it." Is that not legit enough for you?

Seeing something and reporting it is one thing but there's nothing out there that indicates many men were involved. Also, the post you replied to talked about guns and bullets, given that we have 300 million guns out there we'd have a full time job reporting people with guns and bullets.

Tarkus

Seeing something and reporting it is one thing but there's nothing out there that indicates many men were involved. Also, the post you replied to talked about guns and bullets, given that we have 300 million guns out there we'd have a full time job reporting people with guns and bullets.
If people were seen going into a confirmed IED/pipe bomb manufacturering facility, I'd have to say they knew something about it. There were at least 2 separate people that we know of (reported by the media) who have admitted that they had seen multiple men moving in and out of the house. They didn't report it because of fears of being called a racist.

You know the situation we're talking about does not involve eyewitness accounts of guns and bullets. It involves the movement of many boxes and multiple men seen at the place just days prior. Would you have reported it?

rjinaz

Jesus. Watching Trump talk about how "he knows" the family members are lying because he "can tell" he's good at telling. Who wants to doubt that if it were up to him his entire family would be tortured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom