• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Bernardino shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK people, I understand you really want to get to the bottom of this, but that doesn't mean you have to post every single picture and factoid that "someone on the Internet" says is of the killers. Did we learn nothing from Boston? Repeating things you hear just because they're going around the Internet is grossly irresponsible at best and potentially damaging to actual innocent people at worst, so unless it's been actually confirmed by law enforcement officials working on the investigation -- note, I did not say confirmed by the media because as we have just seen a shining example of today, the media is in many ways no better or more responsible than overeager armchair Internet detectives -- think long and closely about what you post here, where you are getting your information from, and whether the potential cost of posting incorrect information is worth your zeal to be first.

ReAxion

I don't really think we need to see pictures of anyone. The killers are dead, you're not going to see them walking down the street.

but that's just me...

Haruko

SsLc8SD.png

...i don't...
sigh

Any new info on Syed and his wife come out? Any other places verified TMZs claims of him being from an abusive household and being super into guns?

The media's been airing whatever random pictures they find in the house. "We can't know for sure if this is the suspect."

Yeah saw that other thread. This whole media saga is just sad.

kaiju

only that photo?

regardless I have adjusted my posts accordingly (I am sorry)

I see a bunch of photos being used that are apparently his brother then..... man

from the time before the police said that he was a confirmed suspect they were using that selfie pic

No need to apologize, the media is clearly at fault here. We are witnessing a clusterfuck of the worst of mainstream news frenzy hyperbole.

SsLc8SD.png

...i don't...
sigh

1304.gif

Sianos

Now that more evidence has been analyzed, it is appearing that this was terrorism in the name of religious fundamentalism. It disgusts me to see such barbaric cruelty inflicted in the name of archaic beliefs used to justify hatred.

However, xenophobia and hatred of all practicioners of religion is not the answer and only plays into ISIS' plans and propoganda.

Why smash cell phones and stuff?

If I could figure out why the fuck they did half the shit they did I'd be a mind reader. So much of it contradicts itself I can see why the FBI is perplexed as well.

Why did you they shoot up their coworkers when there are hundreds of other people in that building? Why did they go back home? Why did they have a fake pipe bomb thrown out of the car when there were apparently real ones that were just sitting in their garage not being used. Whole thing is a damn mess.

Seventy70

Now that more evidence has been analyzed, it is appearing that this was terrorism in the name of religious fundamentalism. It disgusts me to see such barbaric cruelty inflicted in the name of archaic beliefs used to justify hatred.

However, xenophobia and hatred of all practicioners of religion is not the answer and only plays into ISIS' plans and propoganda.

Exactly. Antagonizing a whole group of people is just going to lead them to the other side. It's sad that most people don't realize this. They would rather have a war in which they are righteous rather than peace. There are people just as blood thirsty as ISIS in America. They are just two sides of the same coin. People like Trump and xenophobic republicans are no different than the terrorists that do this kind of stuff. The only difference is that they were born in the US as Christians.

Two days into an investigation and the crime scene has been fucking contaminated. Good fucking job FBI, a reporter even showed one of the shooters social security card on air.

VBrdxar

RPGCrazied

Two days into an investigation and the crime scene has been fucking contaminated. Good fucking job FBI, a reporter even showed one of the shooters social security card on air.

And the mom of one of them, her ID was shown as well. Fucking MSNBC. They need to get into trouble for this, but won't sadly.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

the FBI was done with it. they returned it to the owners and are done with that investigation scene.

its basically regular trespassing at this point, they didnt contaminate a crime scene per se because it was no longer a crime scene

bigmf

ABC has posted a picture of her and this little nugget:

Malik came to the U.S. on what is known as a “fiancé” visa, which allows an American fiancé to petition for his or her partner’s temporary entry before marriage. For the visa application, the address she listed in her Pakistani hometown, ABC News discovered today, does not exist. Malik received a her Green Card this summer, U.S. officials said.

That's some good work boys.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/female-san-bernardino-shooter-tashfeen-malik/story?id=35589386

Fucking Isis. About that time to start dropping some big bombs

I'm in favor of that but at least be clear about what you're talking about. This farook guy was homegrown and likely radicalized through the internet. He wasn't just sent over here from Syria as some kind of agent.

It's not just about dropping bombs on some physical location and then you got a job well done. This is something that is spreading through information.

Dosia

Malik came to the U.S. on what is known as a “fiancé” visa, which allows an American fiancé to petition for his or her partner’s temporary entry before marriage. For the visa application, the address she listed in her Pakistani hometown, ABC News discovered today, does not exist. Malik received a her Green Card this summer, U.S. officials said.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/female-san-bernardino-shooter-tashfeen-malik/story?id=35589386

Total fail

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm in favor of that but at least be clear about what you're talking about. This farook guy was homegrown and likely radicalized through the internet. He wasn't just sent over here from Syria as some kind of agent.

It's not just about dropping bombs on some physical location and then you got a job well done. This is something that is spreading through information.

maybe he means Truth Bombs

Mii

Banned
Photo mentioned above per ABC News and a few more quotes

In 2007, she returned to Pakistan to study at Bahuddin Zakri University in Multan and stayed until 2012, according to a Pakistani intelligence official. She was said to be a brilliant student and was not known to have religious or political affiliation while there.

Malik encountered Syed Rizwan Farook, an American of Pakistani origin born in Chicago, on a dating website, an attorney for Farook’s family told reporters today. U.S. officials said Farook could have met Malik or her family in Saudi Arabia during a trip there in the fall of 2013. After another trip in July 2014, Farook returned to the U.S. with Malik in tow. The couple was married the next month.

The official close to the Saudi Arabian government said that Saudi intelligence officials did not have her on any of their watch lists and she did not appear to have any link to extremists in the region. Neither Malik or Farook were on the FBI’s radar in the U.S., officials said.

If she truly wasn't radicalized while in school, then there really only could have been 1 to 1.5 years where she could have been, and it would have had to occur while she was at home with her family back in Saudi Arabia in 2013. Either her family knows something, or this materialized while she was in the US.

I would also highlight that ISIS only separated from Al-Qaeda in early 2014. Any decision to support ISIS was more likely to have occurred while in the US.

Anion

Requires a much more long term commitment to counter this terrorism. Frankly we kinda are seeing the effects of trying to use brute force in the Middle East. That can only suppress for so long until the hardened terrorists can repopulate once troops leave.

Frankly that issue needs massive education, infrastructure rebuilding and stuff like the Marshall Plan in Europe

Sorry for the derail, on topic now

I'm just wondering how the public reacts once the initial shock passes by. I can bet hardline politicians will use this to their advantage

Mii

Banned

Is this US intelligence admitting this or ABC news trying a google maps search? I wouldn't jump on this quite yet.

I would also highlight it appears her family had been living in Saudi Arabia for quite some time, and she was returning to Pakistan for school. Additionally, I can't imagine Pakistan had substantial systems for birth certificates. For all we know, she was being honest about whatever they thought was the name of some small area that really belonged to a larger city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom