• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Bernardino shooting: Attacker pledged allegiance to ISIS, officials say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

I'd love to know what this is you're speaking of.

I said it earlier in the thread, the nuclear option.

And it may not even be the US to do it.

It's just a matter of if, in my opinion. If the attacks escalate to a certain magnitude someone will order it.

Not saying its right. Or that it will even work... But is it really that far-fetched?

It's just a matter of if, in my opinion. If the attacks escalate to a certain magnitude someone will order it.

Not saying its right. Or that it will even work... But is it really that far-fetched?

Could you point out on the map where we need to nuke? A "possible nuke area," if you will.

Curufinwe

Absurd post.

The One and Done™;187893678 said:
Is this based on any evidence? Seems like a pointless discussion if not.

The posting was by Malik made on an account with a different name, according to one U.S. official. The officials did not explain how they knew Malik made the post.

She probably made the post from the Facebook app on her phone.

benjipwns

Banned
Could you point out on the map where we need to nuke? A "possible nuke area," if you will.
The green parts:
640px-Islam_percent_population_in_each_nation_World_Map_Muslim_data_by_Pew_Research.svg.png

Jesus, at this point? Nothing is too far out there man. I cannot fucking believe what has been going on in the world. Can't believe what I've seen happen thus far, and can't imagine what's to come.

And by 'nothing is too far out there,' I of course am referring to the violence that's happened and the predictable responses from both sides of the political spectrum. I don't actually mean I believe the next step is to nuke the planet.

Futureman

From the above story:

well NYT reported Syed was making $70,000/year. Seems like it would be pretty easy to pay for $30,000 of weapons especially as the first gun was bought 3 years ago.

I'm not saying they didn't have financial help but it's easily possible they paid for everything themselves. If you live frugally and don't eat out I think you could easily live off $25,000/year or so between 2 people.

FTFY

There is nothing stopping anyone from doing this. I have a 12 gauge shotgun with 5 round capacity and a 9mm with 19 round capacity and 3 magazines for it, there is literally nothing stopping me from loading them up and going anywhere public and opening fire. (other than the fact that i'm A) not crazy, B) value my life and freedom and C) value other peoples lives in addition to mine.)

you can find out how to make bombs online from household products pretty easily as well.

Right, but we're talking about ISIS. It didn't need fixing.

saelz8

You belong at the kids table, because you're not interested in serious conversation.

Mutually Assured Destruction is basically what you're suggesting

I'm worried more about the 'troubled misunderstood loner' shooting my ass up than an ISIS sympathizer because I have a rudimentary understanding of statistics

What's the difference between though?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I don't understand how the radicalization happens to these, seemingly assimilated, people. Is there a freaking pill they give them or something?

Calamari41

41 > 38
I never said 'next step'.

Just that it could very easily escalate to that point.

By the time it gets to the point where serious people would seriously consider using nuclear weapons, the ISIS/radical Islam problem would be so pervasive that the nukes would need to be used on Western cities.

Yes it is. Jesus christ.

Futureman

A nuke makes zero sense with ISIS. They are too spread out and if someone did indiscriminately nuke some region in the Middle East, every ISIS cell or group of people supporitive of ISIS would be in the streets the next day committing San Bernadino/Paris attacks.

I think anyone can pledge an allegiance to any group but until ISIS officially takes responsibility for it, the 'pledge' doesn't mean much

It means everything.

It means that the ideology has expanded past the initial group. It's become a ideological contagion where others who may not be directly connected to that initial group have espoused it as their own. It's a far more chilling situation.

Dishwalla

Banned
well NYT reported Syed was making $70,000/year. Seems like it would be pretty easy to pay for $30,000 of weapons especially as the first gun was bought 3 years ago.

I'm not saying they didn't have financial help but it's easily possible they paid for everything themselves. If you live frugally and don't eat out I think you could easily live off $25,000/year or so between 2 people.
In Southern California?

I don't understand how the radicalization happens to these, seemingly assimilated, people. Is there a freaking pill they give them, or something?
Religion: 13mg

Then twist the ever living shit out of it until it doesn't resemble what it once was and becomes a perversion of faith.

benjipwns

Banned

His pay would be public record, so I imagine the more recent figure is accurate.

For the record, I don't think it entirely impossible either, I just thought I could provide some more info, since you asked how many arms they had, etc.

It means everything.

It means that the ideology has expanded past the initial group. It's become a ideological contagion where others who may not be directly connected to that initial group have espoused it as their own. It's a far more chilling situation.

We already knew this though? Tsarnaev brothers were self-radicalized and carried out an attack inspired by this radicalization. It's not like this is some revelation.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Is it?

You honestly think there isn't a point that the US could get pushed to, where this would actually be an option? Because I can certainly see it.
Joe American is killing his fellow citizens at rates ISIS can only dream of. Three hundred and fifty two mass shootings in your country (another shooting in Georgia same day as the San Bernardino shooting), and only one of those committed by ISIS groupies. Yet you think the US would be pushed to nuke some where in the ME to keep Americans safe?

I can't believe even a minority of people would casually discuss our nuclear arsenal as if it's a play to be made in a football game. The occupied territories are not full of evil people but instead held by evil people. We should be no more supportive of nuking one of those areas than we would have been of nuking Paris under Nazi occupation.

I don't understand how the radicalization happens to these, seemingly assimilated, people. Is there a freaking pill they give them or something?

They thought that the red pill was DayQuil.

coleco

I don't know either but we've seen it happening quite a lot, even with comfy living teenagers from UK and other first world countries leaving to join ISIS. I guess it must be a case by case thing, each with their personal reasons or void to fill.

benjipwns

Banned
We already knew this though? Tsarnaev brothers were self-radicalized and carried out an attack inspired by this radicalization. It's not like this is some revelation.
The one forced his wife to convert to Islam, including wearing the hajib, etc. IIRC. And she was a "regular" American girl.

I don't know either but we've seen it happening quite a lot, even with comfy living teenagers from UK and other first world countries leaving to join ISIS. I guess it must be a case by case thing, each with their personal reasons or void to fill.
This post made me think of Four Lions again.

Downhome

They could have gotten that money from anywhere. Maybe credit card cash withdrawals. Heck, maybe from a site like Prosper or Lending Tree. If you have decent credit and stable income, anyone can get their hands on $30,000 if need be. They wouldn't care about paying it back either if they think they may die doing it as well.

In this situation though, my money is on them getting the funds from her family, friends, or a group they knew over there.

Well shit. Why do I have a feeling there's gonna be attacks on Muslims and those mistaken as Muslims, by bigoted assholes, similar to what happened after Paris?

I don't think ISIS helped, seems like she was just inspired by them. Shit is starting to get really scary now...

saelz8

By the time it gets to the point where serious people would seriously consider using nuclear weapons, the ISIS/radical Islam problem would be so pervasive that the nukes would need to be used on Western cities.

Pretty much, the whole point of this phenomena is it's subversive, and in this particular example, underground nature. If it was open, it would not succeed. It operates in socieities undercurrents, as it can't survive at the surface.

That said, the US didn't drop a Nuke in WW2 until sustaining over 100,000 casualties on the American side. This is nowhere close. The whole idea is ludicrous.

Ugh. If this is true, it's so disheartening. It emboldens the people who believe any random Muslim is capable of these acts of horror. And frankly, it is a little scary.
the depressing truth is, you're probably right, man.

God. What is this world coming to :'( 😔

The first mistake was allowing the ISIS propaganda machine to run full steam without any attempt to stop it. Regions controlled by ISIS should zero access to electricity, that would be a start.

Edit- wasn't there an ISIS sympathizer on Gaf at one point? Mods might want look in the ban log and start submitting Tips

benjipwns

Banned
Depending on her Saudi background, her family could have a substantial amount of money too. That they just provided without intent for it being used for terrorism. Like grandparents thinking they're helping out with the new kid, not jihad.

Downhome

Is it wrong that I'm more fearful of random nuts doing things like this after being inspired by ISIS than I am attracts literally planned and carried out by the group. At least it's easier to track that sort of thing given all that's needed to carry something out. For things like this, they can do it at any time really.

Heshinsi

Weren't guns purchased over a span of a few years? I'm pretty sure Farouk had purchased some of the weapons years before he ever met his wife.

Maxim726X

Pretty much, the whole point of this phenomena is it's subversive, and in this particular example, underground nature. If it was open, it would not succeed. It operates in socieities undercurrents, as it can't survive at the surface.

That said, the US didn't drop a Nuke in WW2 until sustaining over 100,000 casualties on the American side. This is nowhere close. The whole idea is ludicrous.

Ludicrous?? Half of the people currently running for office on the GOP side would probably do it today. Again, I'm not arguing for its merits, merely that it's a real possibility.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The first mistake was allowing the ISIS propaganda machine to run full steam without any attempt to stop it. Regions controlled by ISIS should zero access to electricity, that would be a start.
ISIS has taken over the refineries in those areas and is currently making billions of dollars per year selling oil in those regions
Why are Americans so afraid of brown guys with guns? We seem pretty indifferent to white guys slaughtering people.
Great contribution

Heshinsi

Why are Americans so afraid of brown guys with guns? We seem pretty indifferent to white guys slaughtering people.
It's like that line in one Russell Peters stand up:

"You kill me? No I kill me!"

All 352 mass shootings committed in the US this year were done by American citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom