• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parham

Banned
comiccon.png

San Diego Comic-Con 2010 --- July 22-25, 2010
MAP (PDF) | EXHIBITORS | EXCLUSIVE ITEMS | AUTOGRAPHS | SPECIAL GUESTS | TRANSPORTATION (TROLLEY)

Table of Contents:
- Panels and Guide to San Diego (Attractions, food, etc.)
- News
- GAF@SDCC (Attendees, exhibitors, and related threads)

General Tips for Attendees
- If you live in San Diego or will arrive in the city before Thursday, and have a four day pass, take advantage of the new off-site pickup program. It will save you from having to wait in line Thursday morning to pick up your badge.
- Leave at least one hour before the convention starts if you do not reside in a hotel near the convention center.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring a camera, bag (for snacks, purchases, etc.), and poster tubes.
- Plan out where you want to go at least one day in advance.
- The food available in and around the convention center tends to be overpriced. Either pack a lunch to eat there or go to a restaurant nearby in the Gaslamp District.
- Be prepared to wait in line a lot. Bring a book/iPod Touch/PSP/DS to kill some time while you wait.
- Chances are you will not have the time to see everything you want. Just stick to the panels and booths that you really want to go to.
- If you want to go to ANY PANEL OF RELEVANCE, you need to get there early. I mean, real early. You will be sad and whiny when you show up 30 min. before the Walking Dead/Thor/whatever panel and the line is literally going all the way around the building. Be especially wary if the panel is in Hall H. Hall H is HUGE and any panel held in Hall H is going to stretch around the back of the building. (Credit to Angry Grimace)
- If you need help planning which panels to attend, use Comic-Con's scheduling site.
- Make sure you check out the booths for film companies. A lot of times they will have free screening passes to their movies. (Credit to joeyjoejoeshabadoo)
- If you really want to see a panel try to get there a panel or two (or more depending on the popularity) before hand. They do not kick you out after a panel is done so you can camp there all day if you want. Just make sure you go to the bathroom ahead of time and bring a snack if it's going to be a while. (Credit to joeyjoejoeshabadoo)

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Popular Panels:
Here are some of the panels which GAF maybe interested in. If I am missing anything, please let me know.

thursday.png

-- Comics
---- DC Focus: Geoff Johns (2:00-3:00)
---- Spotlight on Tom Palmer (2:00-3:00)
---- Spotlight on Kurt Busiek (11:30-12:30)
---- DC Nation Convention Kickoff! (11:30-12:30)
---- DC Comics Writers Unite! (10:15-11:15)

-- Games
---- Dead Rising 2 (12:00-1:00)
---- Video Game Comics: The Next Big Thing (1:00-2:00)
---- World Premiere of the First Game From 38 Studios (1:15-2:15)
---- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Exclusive Live demo (3:30-4:30)
---- Assassin's Creed: Behind and Beyond the Brotherhood (3:30-4:30)
---- World of Warcraft: Epic Loot (2:15-3:15)
---- Capcom 2010 and Beyond! (4:45-5:45)
---- Halo: Reach (6:00-7:00)

-- Movies
---- Walt Disney Pictures: TRON: Legacy (11:15-12:45)
---- Sony Pictures Entertainment: Battle: Los Angeles and Salt (1:00-2:00)
---- Entertainment Weekly: The Visionaries -- J. J. Abrams and Joss Whedon (3:30-4:30)
---- Lionsgate: The Expendables (4:45-5:45)
---- Universal: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (6:00-7:00)

-- Television
---- Caprica, Battlestar, and Beyond (12:00-1:00)
---- USA Network's Burn Notice (1:00-2:00)
---- A Decade of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Squidbillies and More: The Animated Insanity of Radical Axis Studios (2:30-3:30)
---- USA Network's Psych (3:30-4:30)
---- Transformers Prime on The Hub (4:30-5:30)
---- Showtime's Dexter (6:00-7:00)
---- BBC America: U.S. Premiere Screenings of Doctor Who and Being Human (8:00-11:00)

More information and entire list of events on Thursday.

friday.png

-- Comics
---- Marvel X-Men (10:00-11:00)
---- Neal Adams and Stan Lee (10:30-11:30)
---- Mattel and DC Comics: A Heroic Partnership (11:00-12:00)
---- Spotlight on Paul Levitz (Legion of Super Heroes) (11:30-12:30)
---- Archie Comics: Cooler Than Ever! (12:00-1:00)
---- DC Focus: Grant Morrison (Final Crisis, Arkham Asylum) (12:30-1:30)
---- Spotlight on Jerry Robinson (Creator of Joker) (1:30-2:30)
---- Batman: The Return (1:45-2:45)
---- Spotlight on Stan Lee (2:00-3:00)
---- Superman: Man of Tomorrow (3:00-4:00)
---- DC Nation Special Edition (4:15-5:15)

-- Games
---- Marvel Interactive: Marvel Video Games (11:15-12:15)
---- Star Wars Day: Beyond Solo: Crafting the Multiplayer Story in Star Wars: The Old Republic (1:00-2:00)
---- Twisted Metal Returns! (1:00-2:00)
---- Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (2:00-3:00)
---- Building a Horror Entertainment Franchise: Dead Space 2 (3:30-4:30)
---- Fable III (4:00-5:00)
---- Gears of War 3 (6:30-7:30)

-- Movies
---- Super (1:00-2:00)
---- Miramax Films: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2:15-3:45)
---- Sony Pictures Entertainment: The Other Guys, The Green Hornet, and Priest (4:00-6:00)
---- 30 Days of Night: Dark Days (7:30-8:30)
---- World Premiere: Batman: Under the Red Hood (8:00-10:00)
---- Syfy Original Movies and Chiller: Mega Piranha (11:00-12:30)

-- Television
---- Comedy Central: Ugly Americans (10:00-11:00)
---- Aloha, Earth! (10:15-11:15)
---- Batman: The Brave and the Bold Screening and Q&A (10:30-11:30)
---- Stargate Universe (10:30-11:30)
---- AMC's The Walking Dead (11:30-12:30)
---- State of the Animation Industry (11:30-12:30)
---- Caprica (11:30-12:30)
---- The Big Bang Theory (12:45-1:45)
---- Bones (2:00-2:45)
---- The Joss Whedon Experience (3:00-3:45)
---- Spartacus: Blood and Sand (3:15-4:15)
---- Entertainment Weekly presents: Women Who Kick Ass: A New Generation of Heroines (4:00-5:00)
---- Adult Swim Panel Featuring Robot Chicken, Venture Bros, and Metalocalypse (4:30-5:30)
---- True Blood Panel and Q&A session (5:15-6:15)
---- Archer (6:00-7:00)
---- Anthropology of Twilight Zone (8:00-9:00)

More information and entire list of events on Friday.

saturday.png

-- Comics
---- Marvel Comics Writers Unite! (10:00-11:00)
---- Comics Arts Conference Session #9: Batman and the Empty Nest Syndrome (10:30-11:30)
---- Marvel: Cup O' Joe (11:15-12:15)
---- DC Universe: Event Horizon (12:30-1:45)
---- Green Lantern: Emerald Empire (2:00-3:00)
---- Archie: Stan Lee Comics Debuts (2:30-3:30)
---- DC Showcase Original Shorts Collection: Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, and Beyond! (3:00-4:00)
---- Scott Pilgrim Vol. 6: Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour vs. The Fans (4:00-5:00)
---- Marvel Animation: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (4:15-5:15)
---- Hellboy, The BPRD, and Beyond (5:00-6:00)
---- Gays in Comics: Year 23! (5:45-7:15)
---- With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story (8:30-10:30)

-- Games
---- Panel of the Living Dead: Surviving the Post-Apocalyptic Zombie Onslaught on Xbox 360 (10:00-11:00)
---- Street Fighter Mania!: SSFIV and Beyond! (12:00-1:00)
---- MTV Games (12:30-1:30)
---- The World That Is God of War (1:00-2:00)
---- DC Universe Online: The Next Legend Is You! (3:30-4:30)
---- Red Faction Armageddon: How to Build a Transmedia Universe (3:30-4:30)
---- Disney Epic Mickey— Warren Spector (4:30-5:30)
---- Guild Wars 2: A New Type of Fantasy MMO (5:30-6:30)
---- Video Game Reveal: Maxis Studio (6:00-7:00)

-- Movies
---- Hollywood and Ghost Recon Join Forces (11:00-12:00)
---- Warner Bros.: Green Lantern, Sucker Punch, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (11:45-1:15)
---- The Guild (2:00-3:00)
---- DC Showcase Original Shorts Collection: Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, and Beyond! (3:00-4:00)
---- Screen Gems: Resident Evil: Afterlife (4:00-4:45)
---- Universal: Paul and Cowboys & Aliens (4:45-5:45)
---- Marvel Studios: Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger (6:00-7:00)

-- Television
---- Mad about MAD! (10:00-11:00)
---- Chuck Screening and Q&A (10:00-10:45)
---- Family Guy (11:00-11:45)
---- Leverage (11:00-12:00)
---- Dragon Ball Z Kai Voice Actor Panel (11:30-12:30)
---- The Cleveland Show (11:45-12:30)
---- Futurama (12:45-1:30)
---- The Simpsons (1:30-2:15)
---- V Screening and Q&A (2:30-3:15)
---- NBC's Community Cast and Creative Team (3:00-4:00)
---- The Vampire Diaries Screening and Q&A (4:15-5:00)
---- Nikita Pilot Screening and Q&A (5:15-6:15)
---- MythBusters (7:15-8:15)

More information and entire list of events on Saturday.

sunday.png

-- Comics
---- Jack Kirby Tribute (10:00-11:00)
---- Marvel: The Women of Marvel (11:00-12:00)
---- Dark Horse: Yoshitaka Amano (11:30-12:30)
---- Marvel: Spider-Man (12:45-1:45)
---- DC Town Hall Meeting (3:00-4:00)

-- Games
---- Super Hero Squad Online: How We Built the First All-Ages Marvel MMO (10:00-11:00)
---- Sneak Peek into the LEGO Group's New Constraction Property: Hero Factory! (1:45-2:45)

-- Movies
---- The Winner Twins (1:30-2:30)
---- Keenspot 2010...in 3D! (2:00-3:00)
---- Scooby-Doo Screening and Q&A (2:15-3:15)

-- Television
---- Smallville Screening and Q&A (10:00-11:00)
---- American Dad (12:30-1:15)
---- Glee (1:30-2:30)
---- X: Sons of Anarchy and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2:45-3:45)
---- Buffy the Musical (4:00-5:00)

More information and entire list of events on Sunday.

sandiego.png

Places To Visit After The Convention:
-- Attractions
---- Sea World
---- Old Globe Theatre
---- Wild Animal Park
---- San Diego Zoo
---- USS Midway Museum
---- Old Town Trolley Tours
---- San Diego Air & Space Museum
---- San Diego Natural History Museum
---- Reuben H. Fleet Science Center

-- Beaches
---- Del Mar
---- Mission Beach

-- Food
---- Claim Jumper (Restaurant)
---- In-N-Out (Fast Food)
---- Oggi's (Sports Bar)
---- Filippi's Pizza Grotto
---- The Old Spaghetti Factory
---- Phil's BBQ (Recommendation by LurkerJZ3)
---- Tiolis Crazee Burger (Recommendation by Nightz)
---- Massive List of Recommendations by Axion22

-- Locales
---- Gaslamp District
---- La Jolla
---- Old Town
---- Balboa Park
---- Seaport Village

Nightz

(I'm not really keen on good places to eat at in San Diego, so I'll need some help with this section. :p)
If anyone from out of town is coming to San Diego, don't leave without trying some Carne Asada Fries. :D

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Spike Spiegel said:
Off to a great start! I'll help however I can with news links if needed.

Also, is anyone on GAF going this year besides Foob?
Well I live in SD so I've been going for 8 years straight.

The one tip I'm going to give is; if you want to go to ANY PANEL OF RELEVANCE, you need to get there early. I mean, real early. You will be sad and whiny when you show up 30 min. before the Walking Dead/Thor/whatever panel and the line is literally going all the way around the building. Be especially wary if the panel is in Hall H. Hall H is HUGE and any panel held in Hall H is going to stretch around the back of the building.

The actual floor space is huge, huger and cramped as hell because they sell to capacity. It will be the same everyday, but realize that if you budget a ton of time for panel discussions, you won't have much time to hit it; this usually only ends up being relevant for single day pass types.

And to ruin the inevitable "Is CCI moving to Las Vegas/LA/wherever?" conversation; the answer is no. CCI doesn't consider Vegas a viable option; the news in the local papers points to the same situation from before the current contract was negotiated; they have no real plan other than staying in town since the only viable option is Los Angeles, which isn't larger than SDCC because the city just started a $753 million dollar expansion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
MCX said:
Are tickets still available?

@azenitum Is that you in your avatar?
Tickets sold out in November, and single day tickets sold out in 3 days. I started a thread to warn people of the single day tickets going on sale, but it sunk like a rock :lol

woxel1

I'm going! Got a pro badge just under the wire. No idea yet how I'm physically getting to San Diego, but I have a spot reserved at the Omni -- specifically the floor of a friend's room. It'll be my tenth con, and possibly my last until it (ha ha) moves to Los Angeles.

Fletcher

I'll be there again for my 10th? year in a row. It's funny how excited I still get by it. As someone said before. Get carne asada fries.

aparisi2274

Nice |OT|!!!

I always wondered why movie companies never release the footage shown at SDCC on the net...

I mean they have to know that there are a ton of fans who for many reasons can't make it to the show who would love to see the footage...

ezekial45

Banned
Someday, i will go to comic-con. I'm getting fed up with being on the sidelines and having to wait for stuff to get posted online.

NYR

I'm from Canada. Went to Comic-Con last year for the first time ever. I left pretty disappointed with my Comic-Con experience.

First off, the San Diego Convention Center is much too small for something like this now. It just doesn't seem like a logical place to hold an event of this size anymore. The main hall is broken in half - one side for movie, tv and video game booths, and the other half dedicated to comics. You would think people going to COMIC-con would be flooding the comic side of things, but that is not even remotely the case. In fact, you are free to walk around, and there is normally a good chance each booth only has 1 or 2 people in it looking at and shopping for comics. Great deals by the way - if you are a trade paperback guy, bring a backpack, cause $5 TPBs are a plently! :)

The movie side is the packed side, you can't even walk around without being in a flood of people, so unbelievably lame. Last year, people waited in line for HOURS for a damn Transformers seat cushion. Mind you, this line went up and down the lanes blocking foot traffic. Ridiculous. It was just so crowded, it really made me feel uncomfortable, and any time there was an event (e.g. - an autograph signing, say for Jonah Hex), the one booth where the celebs were would get crushed, and you literally have to push your way through to get to the other side.

Also, the panels are brutal to get into. The fact you pretty much have to line up hours and hours ahead just to get into Hall H, for example, is ridiculous, and even then, it doesn't guarantee you get in. Also, the fact they don't clear out the halls at the end of each session bugged me. Thought it was a touch unfair. Campers are seriously rewarded. My friends and I just thought they oversold the event, which is why I found it interesting that for this year they limited preview night (by far the worst night to go), as well as sold out of tix so early this year.

On the gaming side, it was nice to play some of the E3 demos, a lot of fun. Friends got a kick out of the fact I got to play God of War 3 months before them. :D The lines for the games wasn't as bad, but there were some hoggers, mostly kids.

And there is the obvious - smelly, awkward people. There was 2 instances I remember vividly. One was in one of the large t-shirt booths you'll bound to see that are exactly the same across the main hall - I needed to get out due to the crush of people, but there was this guy standing in the doorway. Walked up to him and the exit, said excuse me. Rather then move out of the way, he walks toward me, akwarly forcing him to lift his arm for me to get by. So here I am, trying to get out, and I duck down under this guy's lifted arm. The rest of the story....not so pleasant. The second akward guy was someone in the lobby outside the main hall, who had just bought an old box of playboy's, sitting on the ground cross legged, and flipping through them...in public. He looked like your typical 30 year old nerd. Totally unaware of his social surroundings.

To call it the most over-rated experience of my life would be too much. I did complain in this post, but it was mostly because I was not prepared for the actual convention. I did leave with a lot of memories, and San Diego seriously kicks ass. There was 7 of us and we rented a beach house in OB, and it was fantastic. Transit works really well, and the downtown/convention center area is really fun, particularly the Gaslamp quarter district - check out this place called the Strip Club...it's a restaurant where you cook your own food. ;)

Overall, I would like to go again, this time more prepared, and hopefully it will be in another city. If not, I think I might go back in 4 years or something...

Angry Grimace

NYR said:
I'm from Canada. Went to Comic-Con last year for the first time ever. I left pretty disappointed with my Comic-Con experience.

First off, the San Diego Convention Center is much too small for something like this now. It just doesn't seem like a logical place to hold an event of this size anymore. The main hall is broken in half - one side for movie, tv and video game booths, and the other half dedicated to comics. You would think people going to COMIC-con would be flooding the comic side of things, but that is not even remotely the case. In fact, you are free to walk around, and there is normally a good chance each booth only has 1 or 2 people in it looking at and shopping for comics. Great deals by the way - if you are a trade paperback guy, bring a backpack, cause $5 TPBs are a plently! :)

The movie side is the packed side, you can't even walk around without being in a flood of people, so unbelievably lame. Last year, people waited in line for HOURS for a damn Transformers seat cushion. Mind you, this line went up and down the lanes blocking foot traffic. Ridiculous. It was just so crowded, it really made me feel uncomfortable, and any time there was an event (e.g. - an autograph signing, say for Jonah Hex), the one booth where the celebs were would get crushed, and you literally have to push your way through to get to the other side.

Also, the panels are brutal to get into. The fact you pretty much have to line up hours and hours ahead just to get into Hall H, for example, is ridiculous, and even then, it doesn't guarantee you get in. Also, the fact they don't clear out the halls at the end of each session bugged me. Thought it was a touch unfair. Campers are seriously rewarded. My friends and I just thought they oversold the event, which is why I found it interesting that for this year they limited preview night (by far the worst night to go), as well as sold out of tix so early this year.

On the gaming side, it was nice to play some of the E3 demos, a lot of fun. Friends got a kick out of the fact I got to play God of War 3 months before them. :D The lines for the games wasn't as bad, but there were some hoggers, mostly kids.

And there is the obvious - smelly, awkward people. There was 2 instances I remember vividly. One was in one of the large t-shirt booths you'll bound to see that are exactly the same across the main hall - I needed to get out due to the crush of people, but there was this guy standing in the doorway. Walked up to him and the exit, said excuse me. Rather then move out of the way, he walks toward me, akwarly forcing him to lift his arm for me to get by. So here I am, trying to get out, and I duck down under this guy's lifted arm. The rest of the story....not so pleasant. The second akward guy was someone in the lobby outside the main hall, who had just bought an old box of playboy's, sitting on the ground cross legged, and flipping through them...in public. He looked like your typical 30 year old nerd. Totally unaware of his social surroundings.

To call it the most over-rated experience of my life would be too much. I did complain in this post, but it was mostly because I was not prepared for the actual convention. I did leave with a lot of memories, and San Diego seriously kicks ass. There was 7 of us and we rented a beach house in OB, and it was fantastic. Transit works really well, and the downtown/convention center area is really fun, particularly the Gaslamp quarter district - check out this place called the Strip Club...it's a restaurant where you cook your own food. ;)

Overall, I would like to go again, this time more prepared, and hopefully it will be in another city. If not, I think I might go back in 4 years or something...
There isn't a bigger venue that exists other than Anaheim which isn't even in serious consideration. You'll just have to wait for the expansion which they just started.

Axion22

I'ma goin. Good OP, excitement engines running a little hotter now! :D

Edit time! Let's talk food and locales!

Gaslamp Quarter is going to be where it's at for most everyone because of the proximity. It's literally across the street from the con, and as such it's going to be packed.

If you didn't know, San Diego is a breakfast town. Get a breakfast burrito at any number of the local taco shops. My rule of thumb is that if it ends in "erto's" - it's probably good, (with the exception of Eriberto's). I recommend the California burrito from Lolita's at the Park (202 Park Blvd.). It's not breakfast, but it's great anyway.

Other Gaslamp stuff:
Acqua Al 2 - fine Italian food
Acqua Al 2 is the sister restaurant of the original Acqua Al 2, located on the Via della Vigna Vecchia in Florence.
Gaslamp Strip Club - (as in strip steak) 21 and up, grill your own steak.
Proper Pub - (tucked in behind Petco Park, 795 J Street) - Awesome gastro pub. Love the food here.
Sushi Deli 2 - (slightly out of the Gaslamp quarter, but still walking distance)
The Broken Yolk (breakfast)
Ciro's Pizza - I just saw this:
Ciro's Pizza will be taken over by the Cartoon Network for Comic-Con. You'll have to stop by for a slice to see exactly what that means but note changes: 7/21-7/25 Open as Cartoon Network Cafe & Pizzeria, Closed on 7/20 and 7/27 for transformation.
So... maybe do that?
Dick's Last Resort - Sort of gimmicky, the wait-staff is rude on purpose.
Altitude Sky Lounge - Drink on the roof of a hotel. It's fun.
Stingaree (club) - some Charger players are part owners, you might see famous people here.

Old Town: The birthplace of California. Tons of Mexican restaurants and craft-type-things. You can watch old ladies make tortillas by hand. On the higher end of the price scale, I recommend El Agave, a nice tequila bar, mid-range; Old Town Mexican Cafe and on the lower end, The Alamo, a cheaper cantina just down the street. Old Town is accessible via the MTS trolley that runs right next to the convention center, so if you need to get out of the crowds to breathe, do this.

Trolley Map

Pacific Beach:
PB is Brotown. If you're short on bros, head to PB. It's a few miles north from downtown and west of Old Town, though, and there isn't a trolley route there. If you do go, stop for a drink and a fish taco at Lahaina Beach House and enjoy the sunset.

All I can think of for now...

Oh, Adam Carolla will be doing a live show at the HoB on Saturday at 10, if you're an fan of his.

ultron87

I'm glad it is once again Comic-Con time of year, even though I totally hate the shift of focus that Comic-Con has undergone.
A Glee panel? Seriously? (Though I guess there was one last year too.)

Hopefully we'll get some nice shakey cam trailers and other exclusive footage out of this whole thing.

ultron87 said:
I'm glad it is once again Comic-Con time of year, even though I totally hate the shift of focus that Comic-Con has undergone.
A Glee panel? Seriously? (Though I guess there was one last year too.)

Hopefully we'll get some nice shakey cam trailers and other exclusive footage out of this whole thing.

They apologize for liking money so much, they will work on that.

I've got a one-day pass for Saturday, and I'm checking this out with a friend. Not going in with any great expectations, mainly just to see what it's all about.

I've scanned the schedule and list of guests, but does anyone have a panel or booth they're really stoked about?

Alucrid

Banned
Sick, I like the banners. Haven't gone to one but I totally regret not trying to go last year when they had the MvC3 vinyl on sale with the arcade sticks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Count Dookkake said:
A Jedi may not know love, but he may know the buffet.

The pork is strong in this one.

I am going to go visit the Gentle Giant booth. Will there be Dookkake?

I haven't been to SDCC in 2 years and I miss it. It's soooo much fun but can be expensive at the same time. I might save up for next year if 3 day passes don't sell out within an hour. It's definitely a pilgrimage every geek should undertake.

Angry Grimace

GalacticAE said:
I haven't been to SDCC in 2 years and I miss it. It's soooo much fun but can be expensive at the same time. I might save up for next year if 3 day passes don't sell out within an hour. It's definitely a pilgrimage every geek should undertake.
I'm going to just do it right this time and buy my 4 day passes at CCI itself this year. Much easier.

Angry Grimace said:
Well I live in SD so I've been going for 8 years straight.

The one tip I'm going to give is; if you want to go to ANY PANEL OF RELEVANCE, you need to get there early. I mean, real early. You will be sad and whiny when you show up 30 min. before the Walking Dead/Thor/whatever panel and the line is literally going all the way around the building. Be especially wary if the panel is in Hall H. Hall H is HUGE and any panel held in Hall H is going to stretch around the back of the building.

The actual floor space is huge, huger and cramped as hell because they sell to capacity. It will be the same everyday, but realize that if you budget a ton of time for panel discussions, you won't have much time to hit it; this usually only ends up being relevant for single day pass types.
This is the best tip anybody could give.

If you really want to see a panel try to get there a panel or two (or more depending on the popularity) before hand. They do not kick you out after a panel is done so you can camp there all day if you want. Just make sure you go to the bathroom ahead of time and bring a snack if it's going to be a while.

Also you won't get to see everything. The Con is too crowded to even remotely think it's possible. Try to pick out a couple panels a day with enough lead time in between them.

One last tip, make sure you check out the booths for film companies. A lot of times they will have free screening passes to their movies. I've seen quite a few sneak previews for films that way.

NYR

Angry Grimace said:
There isn't a bigger venue that exists other than Anaheim which isn't even in serious consideration. You'll just have to wait for the expansion which they just started.
Yeah, that is what I thought, like I mentioned, I don't mind waiting.

Axion22

Angry Grimace said:

I was up at the Anaheim convention center for FanFest. It didn't seem big enough to take the Con at all.

Angry Grimace

Another protip: You probably want to use your iPhone/iPad whatever. Guess what? AT&T's network sucks too much for you to get reliable 3G in the convention center. It's not the convention center's reception; it's the fact that there's 30,000 other people at the convention who ALL want to use their NeoGAF iphone app and the networks aren't really designed to handle that many people in one place overloading the network.

In fact, the congestion of networks is bad enough you will have serious trouble making basic phone calls (at least on AT&T, I don't know about Verizon). If you want to take shifts in lines or meet up with your friends, the best way to ensure that you will even be able to make calls is to turn off 3G reception and just go with old school 2G/EDGE networks.

Axion22

Angry Grimace said:
Another protip: You probably want to use your iPhone/iPad whatever. Guess what? AT&T's network sucks too much for you to get reliable 3G in the convention center. It's not the convention center's reception; it's the fact that there's 30,000 other people at the convention who ALL want to use their NeoGAF iphone app and the networks aren't really designed to handle that many people in one place overloading the network.

In fact, the congestion of networks is bad enough you will have serious trouble making basic phone calls (at least on AT&T, I don't know about Verizon). If you want to take shifts in lines or meet up with your friends, the best way to ensure that you will even be able to make calls is to turn off 3G reception and just go with old school 2G/EDGE networks.

And bring your AC wall charger if using it all day is going to drain it. You can find outlets on the 2nd level. I drained my iPhone 3G's battery last year after meeting the voice of Dr. Venture, so his friend had to take it and email it to me. Kind of embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom