• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Axion22 said:
I was up at the Anaheim convention center for FanFest. It didn't seem big enough to take the Con at all.
It's a common error for people to believe that the venue's size is responsible for all of CCI's problems.

In reality, it's the popularity of the event itself. Tickets sold out in November. If you increased the convention center's size limit by 25%, they would just sell 25% more tickets. Ironically, despite how much everyone claims to hate the crowding, it seems to get bigger and bigger every year.

It's like people don't think through what they are saying; "the hotels are too expensive." Guess what? They are only expensive during Comic Con. Hotels don't cost that much if you showed up here in June. If the event was in Anaheim/LA, hotels in Anaheim/LA would magically be even more expensive right around the end of July.

It's literally part of a package deal with the Convention authority itself to increase the prices during the event. It's how we as a city make money, and basic economics.

Teddman

Angry Grimace said:
There isn't a bigger venue that exists other than Anaheim which isn't even in serious consideration. You'll just have to wait for the expansion which they just started.
L.A. is bigger. I do think the show has outgrown San Diego... And the size/layout of the SDCC is definitely part of the problem.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Angry Grimace said:
It's like people don't think through what they are saying; "the hotels are too expensive." Guess what? They are only expensive during Comic Con. Hotels don't cost that much if you showed up here in June. If the event was in Anaheim/LA, hotels in Anaheim/LA would magically be even more expensive right around the end of July.
I just canceled a trip to Gen Con b/c our hotel in Indy was going to be ~$400/night. Doing Vegas/LA instead for half the price of the Gen Con trip. At least you guys get to be in San Diego. :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Teddman said:
L.A. is bigger. I do think the show has outgrown San Diego...
LA's convention center is not appreciably larger than the SD convention center ( I believe it is larger by a marginal number), and SD just bought the land for a $750MM convention center expansion. There is no place other than Vegas where you would have a relevant increase in floor space and a) the Con isn't a good fit for Vegas, and b) I would LOVE to go Las Vegas. During the end of July.

It's basic economics of supply and demand why hotels and other incidentals cost a lot during events. It's like complaining that they shouldn't have the Super Bowl in X city because you went there and all the hotels were 500 bucks a night so obviously the city sucks.

NYR

Angry Grimace said:
Ironically, despite how much everyone claims to hate the crowding, it seems to get bigger and bigger every year.
All that proves is that it attracts new attendees year over year. Doesn't substantiate the fact that the size, or lack thereof, of the SDCC isn't an issue.

Angry Grimace

NYR said:
All that proves is that it attracts new attendees year over year. Doesn't substantiate the fact that the size, or lack thereof, of the SDCC isn't an issue.
What?

The point is, the number of people that want to go to the event is the problem, and going to a marginally larger convention hall solves nothing other than putting the event in a less desirable location with a slightly larger sellout. Another factor which oft-goes unmentioned is that CCI (the organization itself) is a non-profit; they don't care as much as the average joe does.

Let's put it this way, this isn't new to SD as a town; these are identical arguments that were made the last time CCI extended it's contract; and they're basically being accommodated in every way they've asked the city to do (added hotel rooms, added space being added from those hotels for panels and floor space, convention center expansion). I just don't see what the overall benefit would be in moving to some other location.

Angry Grimace

As for food, if you walk to the opposite (east) Petco Park, there is a taco shop on the corner called Lolita's Taco Shop. It's pretty much god-mode hole in the wall greasy mexican food, which is our town signature. They also serve beer. It's pretty much concentrated awesome and they have the best hot sauce of any mexican joint in town.

Give it a try if you're around the area, it's basically fast food prices, but I assure you the food is better than the sit down Mexican places in the Gaslamp and you can still get beer.

Axion22

Angry Grimace said:
As for food, if you walk to the opposite (east) Petco Park, there is a taco shop on the corner called Lolita's Taco Shop. It's pretty much god-mode hole in the wall greasy mexican food, which is our town signature. They also serve beer. It's pretty much concentrated awesome and they have the best hot sauce of any mexican joint in town.

Give it a try if you're around the area, it's basically fast food prices, but I assure you the food is better than the sit down Mexican places in the Gaslamp and you can still get beer.

Recommended that in the edit to my post above. Lolita's prices are a little inflated over regular taco shop prices, though, given the high rent of the location. The beers on tap are excellent, too.

If you want Mexican, though, go to Old Town, forget the Gaslamp for that. Fred's Mexican Cafe is in the Gaslamp, tho, and I guess that's alright.

Angry Grimace

Axion22 said:
Recommended that in the edit to my post above. Lolita's prices are a little inflated over regular taco shop prices, though, given the high rent of the location. The beers on tap are excellent, too.

If you want Mexican, though, go to Old Town, forget the Gaslamp for that. Fred's Mexican Cafe is in the Gaslamp, tho, and I guess that's alright.
Fred's costs 2x as much as Lolita's for being 1/2 as good, although Old Town is a totally different story (and part of town).

I mean, you're talking what, 6 or 7 bucks for a full meal at Lolita's? Not to mention, it's gotta be one of the only hole in the wall style taco shops within legitimate walking distance from the convention center.

Axion22

Angry Grimace said:
Fred's costs 2x as much as Lolita's for being 1/2 as good, although Old Town is a totally different story (and part of town).

I mean, you're talking what, 6 or 7 bucks for a full meal at Lolita's? Not to mention, it's gotta be one of the only hole in the wall style taco shops within legitimate walking distance from the convention center.

That is all true, but 6 or 7 is a couple dollars higher than you pay at other places of the same quality around town, but you're right, it's the right combination of walking distance and quality. Old Town's got trolley access so there's that, too.

Edit: don't eat the food inside the convention center.

Angry Grimace

Axion22 said:
That is all true, but 6 or 7 is a couple dollars higher than you pay at other places of the same quality around town, but you're right, it's the right combination of walking distance and quality. Old Town's got trolley access so there's that, too.

Edit: don't eat the food inside the convention center.
I would personally argue that Lolita's is worth a couple dollars more than your average "Berto's."

Axion22

Angry Grimace said:
I would personally argue that Lolita's is worth a couple dollars more than your average "Berto's."

Well look at it like this, the prices are only like that at the downtown location and the food isn't magically better there than the other ones, you're paying extra for the location, but that's the same with anywhere in downtown. Your avg burrito should cost between $3-5 anywhere else in the county.

Angry Grimace

Axion22 said:
Well look at it like this, the prices are only like that at the downtown location and the food isn't magically better there than the other ones, you're paying extra for the location, but that's the same with anywhere in downtown. Your avg burrito should cost between $3-5 anywhere else in the county.
Well I went there on Sunday before the Padres game and I didn't notice an appreciable difference in the prices vs. the Claremont and Bonita locations, it might have been a buck or two if anything.

In any case, it's still sub 8 bucks for a full meal, which you can't really say elsewhere. I would personally expect the joint to be pretty much mobbed as it's hardly well hidden respective to the C. Center. I would agree the food is pretty much identical but that's a good thing.

Axion22

Angry Grimace said:
Well I went there on Sunday before the Padres game and I didn't notice an appreciable difference in the prices vs. the Claremont and Bonita locations, it might have been a buck or two if anything.

In any case, it's still sub 8 bucks for a full meal, which you can't really say elsewhere. I would personally expect the joint to be pretty much mobbed as it's hardly well hidden respective to the C. Center. I would agree the food is pretty much identical but that's a good thing.

Went to the game, huh? Mark Reynolds is a douche. :lol

Yeah, the prices are just a buck or two higher, not too bad and I guess you'd incur that cost trying to get elsewhere. I just balk when anywhere starts to go above $5 for a burrito, regardless of the quality. Bottom line: Lolita's, highly recommended.

DTJAAAAM

Man, I can't wait. This will be my first trip to the San Diego Comic-Con. I'm not sure if I want to go to all the panels I'm interested in since that's less time for me to take pictures...

Foob

Ima find you, Birdie!

Thanks for the food tips, too, guys! Now I just gotta figure out how to work this trolley

Angry Grimace

Also, if you are doing a 4 Day or Thursday only membership; you can pick up a badge at the Town and Country Hotel in Mission Valley this year; the service for offsite badge pickup will only be open Wednesday night and Thursday morning and other single day passes will have to wait each day individually.

Foob said:
Ima find you, Birdie!

Thanks for the food tips, too, guys! Now I just gotta figure out how to work this trolley

Oh, I won't be there personally, but to make up for it, I suggest you buy everything at our table.

Pachinko

Hi everybody!

I'm going to comic-con for the second year in a row, Plane leaves edmonton at 630am tomorrow and I'll be in san diego by 1pm hopefully :p

That restaurant list fails to mention fuddruckers which for whatever reason I loved last year. Right next to my hotel too. Course you should really be eating something more local then hamburgers while in a coastal mexican flavoured city.

I plan to try fish tacos at the tin fish this time around. Curiousity will get the best of me.

I'm still not entirely sure what I want to do in terms of panels and such, wouldn't mind checking out the capcom panel, perhaps the attack of the show panel and american dad. As for Hall H, thursday seems the only day anything I care to sit through is going on and I'm not sure if I want to waste 70% of the day doing that.

ALSO, that town and country hotel may have badge pre pickup but it's not that close to the convention hall area , I've heard 15 $ cab ride away from the hotel I'm staying at. I suppose that may be worth it as opposed to the giant wait in line.

Pachinko said:
That restaurant list fails to mention fuddruckers which for whatever reason I loved last year. Right next to my hotel too. Course you should really be eating something more local then hamburgers while in a coastal mexican flavoured city. hotel I'm staying at. I suppose that may be worth it as opposed to the giant wait in line.

Um, Fuddruckers is a national chain, that's why it wasn't mentioned.

Angry Grimace

Pachinko said:
Hi everybody!

I'm going to comic-con for the second year in a row, Plane leaves edmonton at 630am tomorrow and I'll be in san diego by 1pm hopefully :p

That restaurant list fails to mention fuddruckers which for whatever reason I loved last year. Right next to my hotel too. Course you should really be eating something more local then hamburgers while in a coastal mexican flavoured city.

I plan to try fish tacos at the tin fish this time around. Curiousity will get the best of me.

I'm still not entirely sure what I want to do in terms of panels and such, wouldn't mind checking out the capcom panel, perhaps the attack of the show panel and american dad. As for Hall H, thursday seems the only day anything I care to sit through is going on and I'm not sure if I want to waste 70% of the day doing that.

ALSO, that town and country hotel may have badge pre pickup but it's not that close to the convention hall area , I've heard 15 $ cab ride away from the hotel I'm staying at. I suppose that may be worth it as opposed to the giant wait in line.
The point is that very few people are staying right near the convention center.

Axion22

Pachinko said:
Hi everybody!

If you want local burgers, look for Hodad's. They're opening a location in downtown, but I don't think it's ready yet. It's usually got a line out the door, though.

Boo fuddrucker's :lol

The fish tacos at Tin Fish aren't anything special. They're okay, but they're not a crowning achievement. It's mostly a nice place to drink and people-watch. The best ones imo are at Lahaina's in PB.

Forget cabs, anywhere in downtown you can pretty much walk to. Downtown SD isn't very big and the blocks are short. Longer distances you can take the trolley and there's also pedicabs, both cheaper than a taxi.

A walking tour
You will notice that the blocks are very short. Small blocks mean more corner lots, which always sell at a premium. With this in mind, "Corner Lot Horton" made his blocks 200 by 300 feet instead of the normal 300 by 600 feet. There are no alleys between the blocks because Horton thought that typically alleys only accumulated trash.

Raguel

A little bit on Topic, but here are the banners for Thor and Captain America the movie. It looks awesome.

dxbr6b.jpg

24v8ntc.jpg

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68100

Angry Grimace

Nightz said:
When do tickets for next year's convention go on sale?
You can buy them at CCI itself starting on Wednesday.

See, we SD citizens are doing our part to help; helpful signs regarding trolley service for those of you who only speak Klingon.

piIV4.jpg

Trolley Information:

Qualcomm Stadium -- the vast Mission Valley parking-lot-cum-stadium will be open and free. And it happens to have a Trolley line running right through it.

$15 -- that is the price of a four-day unlimited pass for Metropolitan Transit System buses and trolleys. Think about it. For four days you can ride all around town, and where ever MTS will carry you. You can't park anywhere near the Convention Center for a day for that kind of money. You can also get one-day passes ($5), two-day ($10) and three-day ($12). They're available at all trolley station ticket vending machines.

Trolley Red Line/Green Line: This is your path to the Convention Center. Simply, the Red Line is a special event trolley that runs from Qualcomm to the Convention Center (with other stops along the way). On Saturday and Sunday, the Green line will operate every 15 min. from Santee and will run through Mission Valley to the Convention Center. (It normally ends at Old Town.)

Frequent service: Starting Wednesday at 5:02 p.m. a Red Line train will be leaving Qualcomm every 15 minutes. Trains leaving the Gaslamp Station for Qualcomm will do the same. Later in the evenings the trains will taper down to every 30 minutes.

The Green, Blue and Orange lines also have augmented services for Comic-Con. The best thing is to go to www.sdmts.com/Trolley/ComicCon.asp and check out the details -- and maybe print out the special timetable and a trolley map.

Meanwhile, here's a breakdown provided by MTS for each day and how you can make best use of the trolley service:

· Preview Night, Wednesday, July 21: Special Event Red Line service between Qualcomm Stadium and the Convention Center area, serving Old Town and Mission Valley stations along the way. The Red Line will depart Qualcomm Stadium every 15 minutes beginning at 5:02 p.m. Red Line trains will continue to depart the Convention Center area until 10:05 p.m.

Passengers may also use regular Orange, Blue, and Green Line trains.

· Thursday, July 22 and Friday July 23: Special Event 'Red Line' service between Qualcomm Stadium and the Convention Center area, will serve Old Town and Mission Valley stations along the way. The Red Line will depart Qualcomm Stadium every 15 minutes beginning at 7:32 a.m.

Special Event Red Line train will depart the Convention Center every 15 minutes until 9:33 p.m., then every 30 minutes until 12:03 a.m. on both days.

Late Green Line service to Santee will be operated by these Red Line trains beginning at 10:33 p.m.

Passengers may also use regular Orange, Blue, and Green Line trains.

· Saturday, July 24 and Sunday July 25: On Saturday and Sunday, July 24 & 25, the San Diego Trolley will operate special expanded Green Line service to the Convention Center. Beginning at 6:53 a.m. from Santee (7:25 a.m. from Qualcomm Stadium), all Green Line trains will operate past their normal Old Town terminus, continuing on to the Convention Center area. Green Line trains will operate every 15 minutes between Santee and the Convention Center throughout the day. The last train will depart the Convention Center area at 1:55 a.m. on Saturday night.

Attendees coming from La Mesa, El Cajon, and Santee will have two choices: take either the Orange Line or the Green Line to the Convention Center. The travel time from these areas is virtually the same either way (approx. 60 minutes from Santee).

Expanded Green Line service continues from the Convention Center toward Santee until 1:55 a.m. on Saturday night/Sunday morning, and 6:10 p.m. on Sunday.

Late night service operates every 30 minutes (after 9:40 p.m.).

When in doubt, look at the location header on any train. If it says "Convention Ctr." climb aboard.

Nightz

Angry Grimace said:
You can buy them at CCI itself starting on Wednesday.
Is that only for people who attend this year's convention? What about us who missed out on tickets this year?

Angry Grimace

Nightz said:
Is that only for people who attend this year's convention? What about us who missed out on tickets this year?
The site does not (usually) update for next year's info until a few weeks after CCI.

Pooya

fffan610.jpg

gameinformer
As you can see above, this fan is perfect for all your fanning needs. So, kids, don't catch the vapors, be a stud and go to the Square-Enix booth (#3829) on the show floor, sign up for the Square-Enix Members website and get your fan!

GCQuinton

chew1.jpg

Circle of Confusion, the production company behind AMC’s The Walking Dead, is developing a television series based on John Layman and Rob Guillory’s Chew, Deadline reports. Stephen Hopkins (24) will direct and executive produce.

Debuting in June 2009, the darkly comic Image series centers on police detective Tony Chu, a cibopath who receives psychic impressions from whatever he eats. “It also means he’s a hell of a detective,” the Chew blog states, “as long as he doesn’t mind nibbling on the corpse of a murder victim to figure out whodunit, and why. It’s a dirty job, and Tony has to eat terrible things in the name of justice. And if that wasn’t bad enough, the government has figured out Tony Chu’s secret. They have plans for him … whether he likes it or not.” He’s recruited by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration which, because chicken has been made illegal because of alleged bird-flu pandemic, has become the most powerful law-enforcement branch of the government.

Chew is one of the surprise hits of the past year, with its two collected editions — “Taster’s Choice” and “International Flavor” — becoming New York Times bestsellers.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/21/cci-chew-to-take-a-bite-out-of-television/

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ill be there tomorrow till Sunday! If you wanna meet up send me a PM and well work something out :)

Will be driving down from LA tomorrow for the day, my eighth in a row. I recommend Extraordinary Desserts for, well, uhh, I'll let you guess. There's one in the Balboa Park area, and then one on Union in the downtown area.

Wishing you all a great time--just remember to stay positive and be patient. Better to be part of an upbeat seething mass of geekanity than a grumpy one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom