• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
brandonh83 said:
Seriously I mean surely to god by now word has kind of spread that people do not like this, so I just cannot fathom why they're still doing it.

It just annoys me so much. The Avengers is apparently also 2D, with 3D done in post. BLEH. Joe Johnston complained about the bulkiness of the camera. Bitch, if it's good enough for James Cameron it's good enough for you, you Jurassic Park 3 director you.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
-htownplaya- said:
(Virgil pic)
I have a similar pic of Gil Gerard which I took this year. There's nothing worse than an empty autograph line. Although I do feel Gil was overcharging asking $25 a signed pic.

DMczaf

jett said:
It just annoys me so much. The Avengers is apparently also 2D, with 3D done in post. BLEH. Joe Johnston complained about the bulkiness of the camera. Bitch, if it's good enough for James Cameron it's good enough for you, you Jurassic Park 3 director you.

Dude, Marvel knows what they are doing.

ZZ3E600496.jpg

....er

Bentendo said:
Did they show trailers for Captain America and Thor? If so, in how many hours will they post them on the internet 0_o

Very early Cap footage and what seems to be a full trailer or just random snippets of footage from Thor.

...hopefully we'll get to see them soon.

Fletcher

I was in Hall H. All we heard was someone yelling for security and then no reaction. Couple more shouts of security/medic later and it was a mad house. You could tell this doesn't happen often here, which is good. They didn't know how to react.

Blader

brandonh83 said:
Seriously I mean surely to god by now word has kind of spread that people do not like this, so I just cannot fathom why they're still doing it.

They actually are aware of it:

Both "Captain America" and "Thor” use 2-D for principal photography, but the considerable special effects for the films were conceived and executed from the beginning in 3-D, something that will help them avoid certain pitfalls, said Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige.

Feige and Branagh were interviewed together in a conference call with The Times. They acknowledged a negative stigma to 3-D, at least in the eyes of savvy fans like those who attend Comic-Con.

"I'd say there's not a great feeling out there for conversion based on some of the films that may have succeeded financially but had their artistry come under fire," Feige said, not naming names but most likely referring to "Clash of the Titans," the Warner Bros. release that surpassed $490 million in worldwide box office but was savaged by critics for a rushed 3-D conversion that many saw as especially clumsy, distracting and ill-advised.

Feige, in London for "Captain America," pledged that "an unprecedented amount of time" would be devoted to the conversion process. He also said the films will benefit from the fact that the 3-D choice was made early on with passion and planning and not in post-production, as was the case with a flurry of films that came on the heels of "Avatar" and its historic box-office success.

It could still look bad, but it doesn't sound like it'll be an 11th hour rush job.

Mairu

He also said the films will benefit from the fact that the 3-D choice was made early on with passion and planning and not in post-production
This doesn't stop the 3D effect being tacked on in post-production. Conversion 3D is bad, even if you "plan" on doing it from the beginning

-htownplaya- said:
Damn I'm excited for this. Still want Spider-Man in there though.

The day the other studios lose their rights for stuff like Spider-Man and X-Men is the day I begin to eagerly anticipate a New Avengers movie. :D

Fletcher

The Avengers thing was pretty rad, but I'm suprised nobody is talking about the Cowboys & Aliens panel. The footage looked amazing and Harrison Ford came out for the first time at the Comic Con. The reaction was nuts.

DMczaf said:
Dude, Marvel knows what they are doing.

ZZ3E600496.jpg

....er

But isn't that only relevant if they were all released on the same number of screens? Because Toy Story 3, The Last Airbender and Despicable Me were likely all sharing screens with the likes of Shrek 4 or each other when they opened.

Bentendo

ReiGun said:
Gonna need that leaked Cap/Thor footage please, internet.

ahhhhh.jpg

Downey really does live the role of Tony Stark, doesn't he? :lol

I know! :lol He's a huge attention whore, but for some reason that makes him awesome.

Dead

well not really...yet
Darth Tigris said:
But isn't that only relevant if they were all released on the same number of screens? Because Toy Story 3, The Last Airbender and Despicable Me were likely all sharing screens with the likes of Shrek 4 or each other when they opened.
Yeah, the chart is complete rubbish

Also like how it conveniently left out Alice in Wonderland

Dead said:
Yeah, the chart is complete rubbish

Also like how it conveniently left out Alice in Wonderland

Not to mention the highest one on the list is the #1 grossing movie of all time, and most of the other movies are just plain bad and deserved poor sales, regardless of 3D.

Pai Pai Master said:
Not to mention the highest one on the list is the #1 grossing movie of all time, and most of the other movies are just plain bad and deserved poor sales, regardless of 3D.

I can't believe you came into this of all threads and said Toy Story 3 was bad. Watch out for pens.

Vyer

Fletcher said:
The Avengers thing was pretty rad, but I'm suprised nobody is talking about the Cowboys & Aliens panel. The footage looked amazing and Harrison Ford came out for the first time at the Comic Con. The reaction was nuts.

link?

woxel1

I just want to thank Axion22 for recommending the Alamo. I stopped there for dinner last night before driving home and it was delicious :)

Pai Pai Master said:
The day the other studios lose their rights for stuff like Spider-Man and X-Men is the day I begin to eagerly anticipate a New Avengers movie. :D

If you only knew how difficult how these are to get back...

Put it this way, you will be waiting a loooooooong time. Unless Disney works out some ungodly deal. Sony and Fox aren't going to let go of mega tentpoles like Spider-Man and the X-Men.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I have a question for everyone. Since most of us didn't go who would be open to paying a fee to watch live video broadcasts of the conferences? I know there a logistical problems with some of the studios not wanting to show off early footage and have their film panned because of it (we all know how that works around here). So what I'm saying is what if we had the ability to pay a fee and get to watch a good handful of the panels. All the comics, kevin smith and whatever studio allowed their films to be viewed live. Would anyone pay for that?

ReiGun

Gary Whitta said:
This has to go down as most awesome Comic-Con moment ever. Look at the little kid's face after Reynolds finishes reciting the Green Lantern oath just for him. It's like a million Christmases at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJl9cnQAsIk
That kid is gonna remember that for the rest of his life. Such a great moment.

wenis said:
I have a question for everyone. Since most of us didn't go who would be open to paying a fee to watch live video broadcasts of the conferences? I know there a logistical problems with some of the studios not wanting to show off early footage and have their film panned because of it (we all know how that works around here). So what I'm saying is what if we had the ability to pay a fee and get to watch a good handful of the panels. All the comics, kevin smith and whatever studio allowed their films to be viewed live. Would anyone pay for that?
If the fee if small enough, I'd be down with that. Sure would be nice not having to wait on the shaky cam footage leaks.
Thor :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom